Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SirTagz posted:

I agree with the advisors but god, do I miss those wonder videos. Chills every time

One thing that the Wonder videos did that is kind of missing from later Civs is set a mood. There's a sort of narrative arc in the wonders, initially they have a sort of terrifying majesty, a vaguely sinister and scary sort of tone, as if humanity imposing its will on the world is a new and quite frightening thing. As the eras progress, this tone gradually gives way to more optimistic and softer moods, like those of Shakespeare's Theatre or Darwin's Voyage, creating the impression of a species that feels confident in its mastery of the world. And then right as the modern era begins, Hoover Dam brings back that sense of terrifying majesty while the Manhattan Project has that cynical, sickly guitar sound, bringing that earlier feeling of a humanity that is reaching beyond its grasp right back in a new way, compounded by the bittersweet harmonica sounds that overlay the United Nations, creating this sense of a world which is trying--and failing--to be better.

Generally, the other civ games set a tone of relentless optimism, like the whole of civilization is just a straight line from bad to good and everyone should be happy to participate, but with its wonder videos Civ 2 seems to tell a slightly different story. Notably the other game which has wonder movies (SMAC) pushes that notion even harder, where almost all the wonder movies are windows into a horrific machine where human misery is the inevitable consequence of the impersonal future of civilisation.

I think it would be interesting to see Civ return to that sort of nuanced picture rather than it's veneer of cartoonish cheer, but I doubt it ever will, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Problems aside, Civ 6 is the best civ ever if you, like me, plays it like a sandbox empire builder

Since this is a Civ 6 thread, I will stop pressing my point :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Reveilled posted:

a horrific machine where human misery is the inevitable consequence of the impersonal future of civilisation

Thread title?

I do think too that the game is a bit too "happy" right now, and the cartoonish design style + the frankly silly quotes when researching techs and civics seem weird at times.

But I am an old fart that played SMAC and loved its dark and dreary tone and dystopic quotes, so eh, might just be me

If they made a civ 7 more in line with SMAC on this front though, I would quickly forgive them everything, even Beyond Earth

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Thread title?

I do think too that the game is a bit too "happy" right now, and the cartoonish design style + the frankly silly quotes when researching techs and civics seem weird at times.

But I am an old fart that played SMAC and loved its dark and dreary tone and dystopic quotes, so eh, might just be me

If they made a civ 7 more in line with SMAC on this front though, I would quickly forgive them everything, even Beyond Earth

I feel like there's always been an optimistic thrust to the Civ series, though. Take the barbarians that you spend the early game fearing and beating up on. The historical analogue, if there is one, would be nomadic herders and then maybe stateless peoples. In the real world, cultures that lived that way may have had a significantly better time than settled, "civilized" peoples--diets would have been more varied, disease probably wouldn't have been as endemic, despotic institutions would have had a much harder time getting off the ground, etc. If you get shot 5000 years back in time you would probably have a better time living among those herders than trying to settle down in Ur or Sumer or whatever. But the games don't represent this and never have, except maybe with Civ IV's use of the slavery civic. The idea that anyone might want to be a "barbarian," that there might be some upsides to their way of life and some downsides to the form of civilization that the series has gameified, is flattened in order to make barbarians enemies that the players can triumph over before the ball gets rolling on diplomacy.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TorakFade posted:

Thread title?

I mean, IslaDeb isn't wrong when she says it was safer to be a spectator at Chichen Itza.

quote:

I miss SMAC. It's been more than 20 years and there's no sci fi 4X game that has even come close to it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I like a lot of things about civ 6 but it’s a low point for the quotes, no doubt. Hopefully we get some better ones next game.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

My boy Shaun Baun narrates it, so it kind of balances out.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

They should bring in Patrick Steward for Civ 7 if he's still alive by then.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

TorakFade posted:

You'll have to pry Leonard Nimoy quoting Sputnik as my text message tone from my cold, dead smartphone.

ETA: LeVar Burton would be great for Civ7, and a fair bit more affordable.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 18, 2021

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

As it turns out, Mt. Kilimanjaro is not wi-fi enabled,

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They need to bring back Mister Sponk

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yestermoment posted:

My boy Shaun Baun narrates it, so it kind of balances out.

He botches so many pronunciations. I get the sense that every line was his first take.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hutchly putchly

i'm somewhat disappointed he doesn't screw up the biblical quotes also

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You'll have to pry Leonard Nimoy quoting Sputnik as my text message tone from my cold, dead smartphone.

god drat this is galaxy brain

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Was Nemoy Civ 4? That one definitely had the best music. Civ 3 close second.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Bob A Feet posted:

Was Nemoy Civ 4? That one definitely had the best music. Civ 3 close second.

civ 4 undoubtedly had the best music but it was also mostly like real world famous composers like beethoven, dvorak, rimsky-korsakov, etc. it's definitely the best but that's also kind of cheating

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I have voice audio disabled specifically because of the tech quotes. So I also miss out on all the different languages in diplomacy, which I actually would like to hear.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The music in 4 was really good. But, I really like the move away from a handful of classical western composers to having each Civ represented with its own music.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
When I heard the news Nimoy passed the first thing I did was play the Drama quote to myself. It just felt fitting. :unsmith:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The quotes are fine and have been fine in every Civ that had them. The game has always had a silly side--Elvis was in Civ I, the Nimoy Sputnik quote is patently ridiculous, Civ IV had utterly cartoonish leaders (I mean, Catherine, holy moly). The idea that it's a serious game for 100% serious gamers is total headcanon on the level of Star Wars fans independently editing the movies to please their 12-year old self.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

homullus posted:

The quotes are fine and have been fine in every Civ that had them. The game has always had a silly side--Elvis was in Civ I, the Nimoy Sputnik quote is patently ridiculous, Civ IV had utterly cartoonish leaders (I mean, Catherine, holy moly). The idea that it's a serious game for 100% serious gamers is total headcanon on the level of Star Wars fans independently editing the movies to please their 12-year old self.

This is a good and true post. A bunch of the quotes in 6 are corny but a bunch are also really fitting or at least mildly serious.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tech Quotes will not be complete until we get "The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race." :colbert:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I'm annoyed by the quotes because in AC and Civ IV they were pertinent and thoughtful (as in, thought clearly went into writing (AC) or picking (IV) the quote).

Civ VI's tech quotes are non sequiturs. Like someone put the technology name into google and hit I Feel Lucky.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
the VI quotes have two for each tech, and a bunch of them are actually on point/fitting. there's a few outliers that are clearly intentionally chosen to be funny that everyone points to to say the quotes as a whole are like, off or something.

the main issue is they're overwhelmingly anglo-american centric if anything.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 18, 2021

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I feel like it's come up a lot but yeah, the VI quotes are generally pretty bad. A lot of them are practically tangential to their tech, others are just asinine. They feel like they were chosen by an intern in haste

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wizard of the Deep posted:

ETA: LeVar Burton would be great for Civ7, and a fair bit more affordable.

LeVar Burton would be great, but you don't have to take my word for it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Stefan Prodan posted:

civ 4 undoubtedly had the best music but it was also mostly like real world famous composers like beethoven, dvorak, rimsky-korsakov, etc. it's definitely the best but that's also kind of cheating

I mean Baba Yatu the undeniable king of civ opening music, was Christopher Tin a contemporary composer. Also I know you didn't mean it this way, but literally every person who composes a song is a "real-world" composer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
maybe in civ 7 they'll finally have someone compose indie hikikomori jpop for the information era

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I mean Baba Yatu the undeniable king of civ opening music

It is very difficult to imagine it being superseded.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I had a roommate who wanted his church band to play Baba Yatu but it took them six months convince the church it wasn't some sort of foreign devil music.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Soylent Pudding posted:

I had a roommate who wanted his church band to play Baba Yatu but it took them six months convince the church it wasn't some sort of foreign devil music.

Did he succeed?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

homullus posted:

Apparently Tin was brought on for Civ6, which is pretty cool.

Here is an interview with him talking about Civ4/Civ6 themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkVd0IdQfQ

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 18, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Eventually.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

That's ironic considering it's the Lord's Prayer in swahili.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

homullus posted:

I don't think that saying the quotes are worse in one game than another is the same as whatever weird thing you are comparing it to. It's normal to rank aspects of the games against each other. I still like Civ 6 a lot more than 5.

Fuligin posted:

I feel like it's come up a lot but yeah, the VI quotes are generally pretty bad. A lot of them are practically tangential to their tech, others are just asinine. They feel like they were chosen by an intern in haste

I am pretty sure that most of them were chosen by someone googling "<technology/wonder name> + quote". But this is only true for the base game, they did a much better job with the expansions. If you compare the wonder quotes between the base and GS for example, it's night and day.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Duodecimal posted:

I'm annoyed by the quotes because in AC and Civ IV they were pertinent and thoughtful (as in, thought clearly went into writing (AC) or picking (IV) the quote).

Civ VI's tech quotes are non sequiturs. Like someone put the technology name into google and hit I Feel Lucky.

That reminds me of when civ V (I think) was released and the art for the units was basically a stylized version of the first public domain image of whatever the unit was.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I mean Baba Yatu the undeniable king of civ opening music, was Christopher Tin a contemporary composer. Also I know you didn't mean it this way, but literally every person who composes a song is a "real-world" composer.

right but I meant it like "real, [world-famous] composers" not "[real-world] famous composers"

the composers in civ 4 are world famous, the composer of the civ 6 music is not

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
best nimoy civ lines are sputnik and pig iron

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

homullus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvru5jEQSOg

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hi I got this game because it was very cheap despite me being historically very bad at Civ

holy poo poo what is with the loving Barbarians in this game