Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Anyone playing the beta this weekend? Game looks pretty cool, I haven't played Guilty Gear since XX, but I think I'll give it a shot. That black vampire samurai dude looks tight. Good music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT9OcpB1bI4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yes, OP.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

A lot of the characters look cool but I think Nagoriyuki is the standout newcomer. I love his kick that he can juggle people with. I plan to start with Giovanna, however.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Meet me in the secret May discord and I’ll show you the true meaning of pounding off.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

You playing Sol, or...?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Kongming posted:

You playing Sol, or...?

If he's still the loudest

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i like +r and xrd even tho i'm terrible at them so i hope this is good but imo this seems to be doing the sort of sf5 style thing of simplifying everything to its detriment. fortunately theres still tekken 7 where i i still have to use my maximum brain power unless i buy one of 30 dlc characters that do 80% damage combos off a 5 way mixup from a jab string. epic!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Meet me in the secret May discord and I’ll show you the true meaning of pounding off.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The lobbies are a turd and the new gatling system takes getting used to but the game feels good so far.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

open beta is available. downloading it now. hoipe!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it lasted an hour before the servers went down. hype!!!!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's only on playstation right?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the beta is, yeah.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

they didnt and never will put in my girl kum in the game which SUCKS but adding in a very cool teleporting vampire katana guy gets me back in

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

game is fun, it was hard getting used to the new combo route and probably still is but i played some good matches online with weak combos and if the game didnt crash i would have been able to lab out better ones

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
need to play this over the weekend

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The problem for a lot of people is going to be that this is more like a whole new game with Guilty Gear characters in it than it is a new Guilty Gear game. But I enjoy the game for what it is for now.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

iwas a big xrd guy and it seems very cool and fun but im going to withhold judgement about teh game until after day -48

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kongming posted:

The problem for a lot of people is going to be that this is more like a whole new game with Guilty Gear characters in it than it is a new Guilty Gear game. But I enjoy the game for what it is for now.

literally no matter what they did old school fans would be saying that it would be better if it was just +r with updated graphics and if they did exactly that they would instead say the pixel art is more expressive and +r is better

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

literally no matter what they did old school fans would be saying that it would be better if it was just +r with updated graphics and if they did exactly that they would instead say the pixel art is more expressive and +r is better

Well it is. Farewell

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

My impression is they want to get more casual players to pick it up, so they made it less intimidating and complex. I can't really judge which is better, but the rollback netcode and improved visuals definitely convinced to give it a shot.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Well it's been unplayable for a majority of the beta period so far due to the servers being strained but at least the influencers got to play.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Yeah thats a bummer.Still haven't had time to play it. I had a hell of a time even finding where to download it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

I kind of understand where they're coming from because the game feels way different due to gatling restrictions and a lot of characters just missing a lot of their old tools so if you've been playing the series for 20 years you're disappointed that you have to learn a whole new system that you might not even like. But I feel like the game as a whole feels good to move around in and press buttons. The damage being so high is fine to me as well, Potemkin can kill you in two command grabs and people are finding insane things with him and other characters.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the game reminds me of KOF XII based on the big emphasis on slowdown and counterhit mechanics

it's not quite the clash, but it's definitely heavily weighted towards fishing for hits

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kongming posted:

I kind of understand where they're coming from because the game feels way different due to gatling restrictions and a lot of characters just missing a lot of their old tools so if you've been playing the series for 20 years you're disappointed that you have to learn a whole new system that you might not even like. But I feel like the game as a whole feels good to move around in and press buttons. The damage being so high is fine to me as well, Potemkin can kill you in two command grabs and people are finding insane things with him and other characters.

i get that but you can still play the old games which are still great, and they even added rollback netcode to +r so the online experience has never been better

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

Yeah thats a bummer.Still haven't had time to play it. I had a hell of a time even finding where to download it.

I had to download it from the Playstation app on my phone. Couldn’t find it on the console or online stores.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Here's some goofy poo poo people found when the beta was working.

https://twitter.com/goodtaping/status/1362701074814046210

https://twitter.com/Kenk_3/status/1362795315028402177?s=19

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Fighting game fans are just dumb in general. They complain every time a new game comes out and say the previous one is better cause they knew a bunch about it but now have to learn new poo poo and it pisses them off. I guarantee when sf6 comes out in a couple of years people will be pissed about how it’s not like sfv despite the fact that people have complained about sfv through its whole life. Strive looks awesome and excited to play it this weekend

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Haven’t been able to make it past the title screen all day

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It's been down since like midnight last night. No ETA on when it will be back up. Will they extend it? Who knows.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Finally got some rounds in. My only experience with the series is the past month or so I’ve played XX ac+r, so I can’t really speak for all the technical differences. I’m enjoying it so far but where’s my riot stamp?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

apropos to nothing posted:

Fighting game fans are just dumb in general. They complain every time a new game comes out and say the previous one is better cause they knew a bunch about it but now have to learn new poo poo and it pisses them off. I guarantee when sf6 comes out in a couple of years people will be pissed about how it’s not like sfv despite the fact that people have complained about sfv through its whole life. Strive looks awesome and excited to play it this weekend

Only idiots complain about sf5 the ultimate thinkies game starring kage

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Didn't realize this was going on. Hoping I still have time for it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Roth posted:

Didn't realize this was going on. Hoping I still have time for it.

its really fun so far, but the servers are unreliable and laggy so it hasnt been a great experience in the beta. hopefully the server issues get ironed out for release because the netcode is super strong and matches feel great to play, some of the tech coming out is a little weird like the hitbox wavedashing but its good to play even if i cant get to floor 10 because i am complete poo poo at this game

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I got to floor 7 then got demoted. Also haven’t been able to play many matches but they’ve been seemless, super quick though feels like everything does way more damage now

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I got to the secret 11th floor (Heaven) but you have to win 5 out of 6 matches to stay on the floor and I won 1 but lost the next two. Which sucks cause those were like the best matches I've had the entire time. Really close.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

apropos to nothing posted:

I got to floor 7 then got demoted. Also haven’t been able to play many matches but they’ve been seemless, super quick though feels like everything does way more damage now

The damage is super high but to get it consistently you either need meter or to land a really big hit like a close slash or big counter. I feel like it doesn't effect higher level play as much because you really gotta work to get hits like that. Unless you're Potemkin, who is super hosed up right now.

Edit: So as not to triple post they just announced that they will be extending the beta for two days due to the server issues experienced at the beginning of the test period.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

pog boyfriend posted:

its really fun so far, but the servers are unreliable and laggy so it hasnt been a great experience in the beta. hopefully the server issues get ironed out for release because the netcode is super strong and matches feel great to play, some of the tech coming out is a little weird like the hitbox wavedashing but its good to play even if i cant get to floor 10 because i am complete poo poo at this game

Glad they removed the complexity excpet oops we have stupid smash poo poo amd oh yeah 3s the notoriously beginner friendly game style kara throws