Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pat Tabler seems like a nice person but he is terrible!

Yeah, they’re not the best broadcasters out there for sure, but I kind of feel like they’re my goofy baseball loving uncles when I watch a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/RichardStaff/status/1362205183829282823?s=19

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Yeah, they’re not the best broadcasters out there for sure, but I kind of feel like they’re my goofy baseball loving uncles when I watch a game

I thought Dan and Buck were great last year

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Cricket is the perfect sport for people who bemoan the increase in home runs and long for the days of small-ball and great defensive plays. There are way more balls in play and fielding without gloves is aesthetically impressive.

The best summary comparison I've come across:

In baseball, outs are common and runs are rare
In cricket, runs are common and outs are rare

Alternatively, if you're a NEVER BUNT HIT DINGERS person, you can watch Big Bash League or other T20 competitions. Truly a sport for everyone

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Gerblederp posted:

I thought Dan and Buck were great last year

Oops, yeah, I meant when it was just buck and pat. Dan is always good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1362214563056345088

Jeeburs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

quote="mcmagic" post="512598606"]
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1362214563056345088

Jeeburs
[/quote]

That's a lot of dough

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Holy gently caress at those years. Wow.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
14 years drat

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GPTribefan posted:

Holy gently caress at those years. Wow.

No way does he stay with them the whole time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the dude has been incredible but he doesn't even have a full MLB season yet.

I...cannot think of a comparable extension in that regard

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Would be cool if he does

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Like him being "the guy who actually got paid in 2021" as opposed to Bauer.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I hope Tatis Jr. is excellent for 14 years and in San Diego the whole time.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Johnny Bravo posted:

14 years drat

Has there ever been a guaranteed contract that long for that much money in major sports? The NHL gives out long rear end deals all the time but never for that amount. The NBA gives out a ton of money but over the short term.

Good for Tatis but if he blows a knee out in year two... yikes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If Tatis is what he looks like that ~$24M AAV is going to be a hell of a bargain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

:drat:

This one really got me

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Jesus Christ. Like, Tatis owns and is great for the sport so I get why you'd wanna sign him, but 14 years? That seems insane.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting a full no-trade clause.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
14 years is long as hell but good for him getting a contract like that instead of one like Acuña's

I'm curious to see what the Nationals would be willing to pay for Juan Soto now

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

If Tatis is what he looks like that ~$24M AAV is going to be a hell of a bargain.

remember they're buying out a whole pre arb year and also his entire arb period. that's a mammoth up front payment. and... probably pretty smart.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

secular woods sex posted:

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting a full no-trade clause.

If he wants out bad enough, he'll waive it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I remember Bonds' 7/49 deal when he jumped ship to the Giants and how it was plastered over ever magazine cover as the greediest player to ever ruin baseball by wanting to be compensated as the... checks notes... first-ever and reigning 3-time MVP.

That's a 7 year/$86m deal in 2021 dollars, or $12.2 AAV. For a three-time MVP entering his age 28 season.

:signings:

e: upon further research, he was only a 2-time MVP, and came in second in between. (he immediately won another MVP his first year in SF)

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Does anybody know if mlb.tv will still be blacking out Jays games in all of Canada for 2021 season? Can't seem to find anything other than the policy was "starting in 2020". Checked the mlb website and used their 'check your blackout restrictions' thing and all it told me was I wasn't in the USA. Cool! I was using a vpn to get around it last season but it was kind of annoying and stopped working near the end of the playoffs. Not sure if they were cracking down on vpn's in general or if they were extra vigilant about it during the postseason

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have to wonder how Acuna/Albie feel seeing extensions like this.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1362219212194930690

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

It'll be him, Machado, and then a bunch of league minimum guys so they don't go over the luxury tax.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Since 1900, the youngest players with an OPS+ of 150 or more after two seasons:

5. Dick Allen
4. Ted Williams
3. Stan Musial
2. Fernando Tatis Jr.
1. Mike Trout

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol

https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/1362240291365863424?s=21

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Alternatively, if you're a NEVER BUNT HIT DINGERS person, you can watch Big Bash League or other T20 competitions. Truly a sport for everyone

I thought of Rob Manfred as the head of the International Cricket Council and immediately died.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GPTribefan posted:

Has there ever been a guaranteed contract that long for that much money in major sports? The NHL gives out long rear end deals all the time but never for that amount. The NBA gives out a ton of money but over the short term.

Stanton and Mahomes

Although the blowing out the knee doomsday scenario wouldn't apply to Mahomes with only $63m guaranteed

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Tebow couldn't even hit 230

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GPTribefan posted:

The worry for San Diego is that he burns out and can still play but sucks. If he blows a knee or whatever and literally can't play baseball, the insurance on the contract will cover it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Manfred and other owners must be furious how blatantly the Padres are blowing up their carefully curated “poor small market owners” narrative.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Jesus Christ. Like, Tatis owns and is great for the sport so I get why you'd wanna sign him, but 14 years? That seems insane.

He'll still only be 36. Trout'll be 39 and Betts'll be 40 when their contracts are up. The Padres get out from under Tatis before he gets old old.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
What is Bauer mad about now? Christ he is loving exhausting and he isn't even on my team.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/xelantfriar/status/1362275441034231808

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2400 hrs a year probably is being done for tatis but that is a stupid way of looking at it . Bauer is stupid so

Also the hourly rate for work done at that level is probably closer to 2500-3000 an hour total including all the people and overhead etc

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess Bauer is suggesting a union negotiated salary scale based on seniority which would drastically reduce his agent costs if he has one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I vote we just ignore Bauer