Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JFC it's "Destiny is all!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I feel like The Last Kingdom is like HBO’s Rome while Vikings is like Showtimes Spartacus. But Vikings.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel like The Last Kingdom is like HBO’s Rome while Vikings is like Showtimes Spartacus. But Vikings.

Granted I haven't got to the higher budget Netflix seasons but I have to disagree with you there.

Vikings is more than happy to let the show breath. It's also willing to get a lot more religious and mystical.

Meanwhile Last Kingdom is just go go go all the time. It's insane how it just goes:

Scene 1: Daring escape from bad guy stronghold
Scene 2: Escapee talks to the king and tells them they need to attack now. Scene continues once escapee leaves the room and king talks to council saying "we need to think about it".
Scene 3: All out attack on bad guy stronhold. Rescues the damsel
Scene 4: 6 months later and Damsel has fallen for escapee and is asking their hand in marriage.

That's a hell of a lot more Spartacus than Rome.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

That's a hell of a lot more Spartacus than Rome.

Even Rome is more Spartacus that Vikings is.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah I guess I was just projecting my own bias. I didn’t like Spartacus and had to give up on Vikings.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Season 2 is the weakest season by far, and to me it’s because the main crew are mostly off each doing their own thing, with one exception. They find their footing again with season 3 and it just gets better from there.

I thought season 2 was the best actually. It's solid throughout although it slows down towards the end.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My biggest takeaway from Season 2 was how impressed I was that they cast one of the few actors in Hollywood taller than Lee Pace as Jacob Wheeler (James Cromwell).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I guess I was just projecting my own bias. I didn’t like Spartacus and had to give up on Vikings.

Did you watch Spartacus past season 1? That show got infinitely better. I'd like to think there was actual changes made (they toned down on the awful 300-esque slow mo) but it was probably just a case of the viewer being more tuned in to the tone and style of the show.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Welp, I mainlined all three seasons of The Leftovers and now I'm real mad that I'll never see a better TV show in my lifetime.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the club friend.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Is there a better year for television than 2017?

Just off the top of my head, the Leftovers and HaCF had their finales, we got some Twin Peaks, and I think that was when the first season of the Good Place aired as well. That's a killer lineup.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

fancy stats posted:

Is there a better year for television than 2017?

Just off the top of my head, the Leftovers and HaCF had their finales, we got some Twin Peaks, and I think that was when the first season of the Good Place aired as well. That's a killer lineup.

Just peeked and also GLOW, Mindhunter, Mr. Maisle

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

2004 had sopranos, the wire and deadwood.
2017 might win it because it had american vandal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2014 gave us Gotham

Checkmate goons.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

2012 had Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones when it was good, Parks and Rec, Community, umm probably other stuff

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
As my 142nd year of life approaches, I am once again astounded by the human tendency to assume that things will inevitably improve with the passage of time. Why, when I was born, women could not yet vote; smallpox claimed the life of most children under five years of age; and heroic American visionary General George Armstrong Custer was still alive. As none of these things are true today, we can conclude that the world is diminishing and becoming altogether less worthwhile. Knowing the details of its continual, and accelerating, slide into wrack and ruin is much like rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

VinylonUnderground posted:

As my 142nd year of life approaches, I am once again astounded by the human tendency to assume that things will inevitably improve with the passage of time. Why, when I was born, women could not yet vote; smallpox claimed the life of most children under five years of age; and heroic American visionary General George Armstrong Custer was still alive. As none of these things are true today, we can conclude that the world is diminishing and becoming altogether less worthwhile. Knowing the details of its continual, and accelerating, slide into wrack and ruin is much like rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic.

I had no idea Mark Twain was a goon.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

2004 had sopranos, the wire and deadwood.
2017 might win it because it had american vandal.

TV has never been better than around that 2004 to 2006 timeframe. You had The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Carnivale just on HBO. You had shows like Battlestar Galactic, The Shield, and Lost on other channels. I am sure I am not remembering some shows, but despite my love for The Leftovers and H&CF (which is my favorite show since Mad Men), 2017 gets in line behind either 2004 or 2005. It was like having 5 to 6 shows airing in one year that were just as good or better than The Leftovers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

nate fisher posted:

TV has never been better than around that 2004 to 2006 timeframe. You had The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Carnivale just on HBO. You had shows like Battlestar Galactic, The Shield, and Lost on other channels. I am sure I am not remembering some shows, but despite my love for The Leftovers and H&CF (which is my favorite show since Mad Men), 2017 gets in line behind either 2004 or 2005. It was like having 5 to 6 shows airing in one year that were just as good or better than The Leftovers.
I agree, this era was the peak for me. All of the shows you mentioned were in the middle of some of their best seasons as well.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Rollie Fingers posted:

'The Last Narc' on Prime was gripping and awesome.

:d2a:

Anyone into stylish, investigative documentaries should check it out. I'm surprised a mainstream American streaming service actually airs it. Wish they had dedicated more time to Jaime earlier in the show. He's a peripheral figure until they drop the bombshell right at the end.

This was great, thanks for the req. Godoy was something else!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Yeah, that's genuinely the Golden Age of TV as far as I'm concerned.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't forget Heroes on NBC! People were discussing it being the next Lost.

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Ew. No.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

nate fisher posted:

I think about this poo poo all the time. Imagine watching new episodes of Six Feet Under, Desperate Housewives and Malcolm in the Middle, all on the same night! I feel like it can't just be blind nostalgia that makes me think TV was on the whole was better then.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fighting Elegy posted:

I think about this poo poo all the time. Imagine watching new episodes of Six Feet Under, Desperate Housewives and Malcolm in the Middle, all on the same night! I feel like it can't just be blind nostalgia that makes me think TV was on the whole was better then.

This is a normal part of the aging process. As long as you remain consciously aware of it, you won't necessarily turn into your parents.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was a surreal time when you could watch Lost, Stargate, Battlestar, Heroes all in the same week it was like sci fi was going mainstream for the first time on TV.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
College was great, watching The X-Files and Millennium back-to-back.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of SFU, EW has released a 20 anniversary look back at the series with cast interviews. Nothing new, but still a nice look back. I just can’t believe it has been 20 years.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reunions/six-feet-under-hbo-20th-anniversary/

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

It was a surreal time when you could watch Lost, Stargate, Battlestar, Heroes all in the same week it was like sci fi was going mainstream for the first time on TV.

Best of all everyone else was watching those shows too and the online/water cooler (or in my case, college dorm) discussions were awesome.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

nate fisher posted:

Speaking of SFU, EW has released a 20 anniversary look back at the series with cast interviews. Nothing new, but still a nice look back. I just can’t believe it has been 20 years.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reunions/six-feet-under-hbo-20th-anniversary/

HBO needs to do right by this show and remaster it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, that's genuinely the Golden Age of TV as far as I'm concerned.

It's literally what Sepinwall called it. You're definitely not alone.

04-06 has to be king. Not only did you have premium cable making GBS threads out gold with everything they did but mainstream TV was pumping out mega hits too (that we're good)

You had comedy with Desperate Housewives, Arrested Development, peak South Park, relevant Family Guy, Malcolm in the Middle and the birth of The Office.

You had the juggernaut medical/legal dramas with ER, Grey's Anatomy, The West Wing, Boston Legal, House MD all at the height of their powers.

You had good serialised drama on network TV with 24, Lost, Prison Break, Heroes.

And you still had the likes of Law and Order hanging around and CSI at it's height.

You also had the perfect storm of appointment television creating the water cooler/schoolyard conversation as well as the Internet becoming mainstream.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Best of all everyone else was watching those shows too and the online/water cooler (or in my case, college dorm) discussions were awesome.

Now that part is genuinely true. The 2000s were the last era where most people could be familiar with, much less watching, everything good on TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Killer robot posted:

Now that part is genuinely true. The 2000s were the last era where most people could be familiar with, much less watching, everything good on TV.

"That part"? Im confused; from where I'm standing, the entire post is correct.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fighting Elegy posted:

I think with the streaming/binge age of TV, there's both more and less content: More because you can pick any show and just binge it in a day, less because it used to be that nearly every day of the week had new episodes of all kinds of shows, and if you didn't watch them all right away you'd get backlogged.

I used to watch so many shows at once on a weekly basis that I had to drop some and try to get back to them later. Disney+ is sort of bringing back appointment television, but there hasn't been much can't-miss network stuff in a long time, and cable show seasons are so staggered apart now that I'm rarely following more than one weekly show at a time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mu Zeta posted:

Of all the shows I will never forgive for betraying me, Heroes is the biggest one. Yes, even bigger than Lost.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

"That part"? Im confused; from where I'm standing, the entire post is correct.

My point is that while the relative quality of any era of TV is inherently subjective, the explosion and fragmentation of the market is objective. If you compiled a list of good shows today and started talking about them at the water cooler, half the group won't have heard of most of them. The era of multiple simultaneous cultural touchstone series everyone knows about has kinda faded, and it's because of changes in distribution and viewing habits way ahead of any changes in content.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Took a year to get through the first 3 seasons of The Good Place and then everything finally clicked and I blasted through the final season. Great show.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fargo season 2: holy poo poo that was amazing and had so many well-known actors. Kinda slowed its pace the last few episodes, but I really liked it.

Season 3, episode 1: this is moving pretty slow and I don’t recognize many of the people. Does it get better?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nwin posted:

Fargo season 2: holy poo poo that was amazing and had so many well-known actors. Kinda slowed its pace the last few episodes, but I really liked it.

Season 3, episode 1: this is moving pretty slow and I don’t recognize many of the people. Does it get better?

Not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

imo, season 3 starts off a little slow but picks up momentum in the back half, ending on an extremely strong note