Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

This is a really stupid question, but is the Mandalorian and the upcoming tv shows meant to tie into the sequel trilogy at some point? As in, do they definitely exist in the same timeline?

I binged the Mandalorian last month and it rebooted my Star Wars appreciation, but I feel behind on everything with the direction of the new canon universe.

Thematically, yes - Baby Yoda healing Carl Weathers in an episode releasing the same week as Rise of Skywalker where Rey does the same trick was coordinated by the two teams to make them seem more connected.

In terms of actual plot, there's some hints that the Empire's interest in Baby Yoda is connected to Snoke or the Palpatine clones, but the show takes place about 25 years before the sequels so it's unlikely that there will ever be any direct connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Risk-aversion isn't helpful if you don't know what is and isn't risky in the first place.

"Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok were really risky because they were comedies" is my favourite version of this.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Whereas the old EU stripmined every character and moment from the movies down to the minutest detail, gilding every lily to a comical extent, the new EU needs must bend over backwards to avoid reminding people that the sequels even happened. Thus we have our thesis and antithesis, awaiting an EU synthesis (the return of jivjov)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

No Mods No Masters posted:

Thus we have our thesis and antithesis, awaiting an EU synthesis (the return of jivjov)
Time Travel

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

Whereas the old EU stripmined every character and moment from the movies down to the minutest detail, gilding every lily to a comical extent, the new EU needs must bend over backwards to avoid reminding people that the sequels even happened. Thus we have our thesis and antithesis, awaiting an EU synthesis (the return of jivjov)

I didn't read much of the EU, but what I did suggested that its whole modus operandi was looking at all the fun, spontaneous, organic stuff that just happens in the films as an outgrowth of plot and character and going 'yes, and that's from a whole planet of stuff like that' or 'that ship was actually designed to do that'

It's why I buy into SMG's theory that the prequels are, in part, all of the EU's flaws reflected back at fans.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

"Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok were really risky because they were comedies" is my favourite version of this.

I suppose the corollary to my earlier post would be: anything can seem like a bold risk if you're clueless enough.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I didn't read much of the EU, but what I did suggested that its whole modus operandi was looking at all the fun, spontaneous, organic stuff that just happens in the films as an outgrowth of plot and character and going 'yes, and that's from a whole planet of stuff like that' or 'that ship was actually designed to do that'

Yeah, It's the most basic connect the dots stuff. Han mentions "Corellian" ships in the movie, so he must be a Corellian, and all Corellians are roguish pilots who fly asymmetrical freighters.

Meanwhile George Lucas said that Corellian ships were made by flying dolphins who lived on the planet Crell.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, It's the most basic connect the dots stuff. Han mentions "Corellian" ships in the movie, so he must be a Corellian, and all Corellians are roguish pilots who fly asymmetrical freighters.

Meanwhile George Lucas said that Corellian ships were made by flying dolphins who lived on the planet Crell.

That's one of the ones I remember. The others were that the Rebels regularly used the tow cables on speeders to bring down AT-ATs and that A-Wings were designed to ram capital ships' bridges.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Snowman_McK posted:

Rebels regularly used the tow cables on speeders to bring down AT-ATs

I think that might have actually been an outgrowth of video game budget considerations even if the phenomenon we're discussing fed it. Like everyone wants to play the Battle of Hoth. So you make a Battle of Hoth level. But making all the assets and programing to let people trip an AT-AT takes a lot of time, effort, and money. So you have to make those things go a long way. So you reuse those tow cable mechanics on every level you can. And all of a sudden it's now canon that the Rebel Alliance fields entire squadrons dedicated to tripping people.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I think that might have actually been an outgrowth of video game budget considerations even if the phenomenon we're discussing fed it. Like everyone wants to play the Battle of Hoth. So you make a Battle of Hoth level. But making all the assets and programing to let people trip an AT-AT takes a lot of time, effort, and money. So you have to make those things go a long way. So you reuse those tow cable mechanics on every level you can. And all of a sudden it's now canon that the Rebel Alliance fields entire squadrons dedicated to tripping people.

That would make sense. It's still an example of something that seemed a last resort in the films becoming the standard operating procedure. The phrasing 'that armour's too strong for blasters' definitely implies this is a problem they hadn't solved up to that point.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Robot Style posted:

Sweet baby Jesus lmao

We don't deserve George Lucas :love:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Good lord I love this.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

does anyone build ships above water in Lucas Star Wars??

it's fish people all the way down in the shipyard industry

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given that space is treated as an ocean in Star Wars, I guess that shouldn't be too surprising

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lucas really wanted a floating city in the clouds and kept putting the idea into drafts and background material until he got it into Empire.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

does anyone build ships above water in Lucas Star Wars??

it's fish people all the way down in the shipyard industry

The battle scenes in revenge of the sith have a lot of ocean surface ships. Seem to be mostly amphibious landing craft

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And the result was a great movie.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

Watching The Director and the Jedi is a lot of fun because at every step they're like "we don't have the budget for this" "this doesn't feel like Star Wars" "should we do this thing that doesn't make sense?" and every time the answer is a baffling "let's keep going anyway"

What didn't they have the budget for?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

is the Mandalorian and the upcoming tv shows meant to tie into the sequel trilogy at some point? As in, do they definitely exist in the same timeline?

buddy, the films from the sequel trilogy don't even tie into the sequel trilogy

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I mean they do, just dumbly

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They fit together when you realize ROS is mislabeled as episode 9

TLJ and ROS are basically parallel episode 8s and a choose-your-own-sequel to episode 7

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Ingmar terdman posted:

They fit together when you realize ROS is mislabeled as episode 9

TLJ and ROS are basically parallel episode 8s and a choose-your-own-sequel to episode 7

yeah but then if you watch ROS you wonder what all the characters introduced in TLJ are doing there, saying hi for 10 seconds and disappearing into only reaction shots

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What didn't they have the budget for?

Lot of location shooting was expensive, especially for the Ahch-To scenes, which are on a Puffin Reserve

The Canto Bight set was also massive

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Glottis posted:

yeah but then if you watch ROS you wonder what all the characters introduced in TLJ are doing there, saying hi for 10 seconds and disappearing into only reaction shots

Funny thing, no one ever complains that they didnt explain where Nien nunb came from in ROTJ

Weirder thing is that he has more screentime in ROS than Rose and the woman general. Can't really remember any other major characters from TLJ that carried over

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Glottis posted:

I doubt that seeing Rose zooming by with three lines of dialog in ROS would be more confusing than figuring out who Merry from Lost is and why people listen to him. In fact, I would like to see their actors swapped because I suspect it won't make much difference.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Vinylshadow posted:

Lot of location shooting was expensive, especially for the Ahch-To scenes, which are on a Puffin Reserve

The Canto Bight set was also massive

lmao. You can pick any lovely rock to shoot on and you choose a nature reserve. And Canto Bight :jerkbag:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They had to shoot on location because the prequel haters would throw a fit again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about the sequels makes sense considering it's all total panicking reaction to reminding people of the prequels in any way. This even though they were like a decade ago.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Going back to real extras in printed stormtrooper armor was a good, if purely reactive decision, watching any scenes with clones from 2 and 3 is PAINFUL

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This is definitely a tepid take but with everything said and done: the prequels aren't great, but they're extremely interesting; the sequels aren't terrible, but they're boring as poo poo

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
No one even remembers the sequel movies. What happened in them? Who knows.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They almost always get lucky and everything they attribute to that luck is a post-hoc rationalization.

I feel like this violates the definition of 'luck'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pretty good posted:

This is definitely a tepid take but with everything said and done: the prequels aren't great, but they're extremely interesting; the sequels aren't terrible, but they're boring as poo poo

Honestly that's still probably one of the best ways to put it.

Plus, the prequels basically ushered in a golden age of EU stuff that's relatively less embarassing to talk about, while all the new AU stuff that people actually like treats the sequels as quietly non-canon.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pretty good posted:

The biggest problem with the prequels was "missed opportunity to see the actual Clone Wars and stuff" and the new EU fixed that amazingly, so now they are just taken on their own merits and age better.

The ST has no possible EU way to change perceptions about it because it's such a mess and we don't care about anything that happens in it anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pretty good posted:

There isn't much that the prequels and sequels both do well, nor is there much that they both do badly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The prequels and the sequels are the real force dyad.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The prequels are good, on purpose. The sequels are bad, by accident.

Sorry nerds, but it's true :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather watch TLJ than any other star war besides empire

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
The sequels are bad at cohesive storytelling. TLJ especially so with it's inability to tell if self sacrifice is good or bad.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess it's basically just bad for finn specifically, because he was too pissed off? Everyone else wasn't that pissed off so they get a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

On the other hand, rose was so pissed off at finn being pissed off that she attempted to self sacrifice solely to stop him from self sacrificing, though she failed. I guess there's an exception for getting pissed off at someone else getting pissed off