Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Worth noting that:

1) Owen Dennis' plan is to have 8 books total

Geez, that's bold to say the least. Reminds me of back when Greg Weisman had planned out Young Justice for like 5 seasons before getting canned in 2. Of course then that got revived on streaming too.

It seems increasing like if you cross your fingers and tweet hard enough at them, HBO Max will revive and produce any drat show (or movie I guess with the Snyder Justice League).

The 7th Guest posted:

total drama island is returning as well

And so Canada's attacks on the U.S. continue unabated

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TwoPair posted:

Geez, that's bold to say the least.

Owen mentioned that his reasoning was that because the letter 8 looks like a sideways infinity. Plus given how IT production seasons work he'd only need 2 more 20 episode production seasons to get there.

Ministry of Pork
Jun 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Chowder was great, and I don't think people talk about it enough. It was really creative about mixing mediums and it was fun how weird the world got. It tends to get overshadowed by Flapjack for having more adult humor and more staff that went on to do other projects.

Chowder never quite seems to get enough love, I think. There was so much 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks' with that show. Just took character, ran with it, nuts to continuity, and just have fun with the art. drat fine voice talent too.

C.H. Greenblatt who pulled off Chowder, then pitched 'Harvey Beaks' which kinda follows in the vein, but with a more conventional art style and a lot of really fantastic music. Though it's more a musical, whimsical childhood romp, compared with Chowder's 'maybe I did eat those mushrooms' sensibilities.

Sadly it got chucked out the window hard by Nickolodeon when it didn't hit the ground running. So, remains a sadly single season unsung gem.

In the meantime, Spongebob still carries the gently caress on.

Ministry of Pork
Jun 14, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I had always thought the train was a sort of mental trap sort of alternate reality where your subconscious gets tossed into to sort your poo poo out while in reality physically you're still living your life just in a sort of autopilot. The train being seemingly real was...kind of mixed bag since it opens up so many more questions. How long has it been going on? How many people have gone in there? How many have actually gotten off? Does time pass the same in the train as it does outside of it? Do the families of those that have gone missing just never notice or just assume disappearances? And that's on top of the questions about who built the train and what for or how the trains denizens come into being.

There's a Reddit AMA where the creators flat out say 'No.' to the train time/earth time difference question, implying it's the same scale on the train as off, which does sure as hell raise some weirdness. Also Owen Dennis says 'ya' to "If you die on the train do you die in real life."

So...the train is....real? People just bugger off into train territory for months, years on end and then reappear when they've got their poo poo together, or not at all.

That's a big leap but I mean I'm willing to shrug it off for the sake of a good story, still though.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Owen once mentioned how the execs outright went "oh" when he told them about the train stuff being in real time

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You've been kidnapped by the therapy train. Warning: therapy train is broken.

Ministry of Pork posted:

That's a big leap but I mean I'm willing to shrug it off for the sake of a good story, still though.

Surely the idea that it's a Narnia situation is the (comparatively) bigger leap to make?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'm most excited by the news that Total Drama is returning, which probably says something about my broken mind...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Never watched Avatar The Last Airbender until binging it these past few weeks. Now I get it. Probably the best kids' cartoon show ever.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ministry of Pork posted:

There's a Reddit AMA where the creators flat out say 'No.' to the train time/earth time difference question, implying it's the same scale on the train as off, which does sure as hell raise some weirdness. Also Owen Dennis says 'ya' to "If you die on the train do you die in real life."

So...the train is....real? People just bugger off into train territory for months, years on end and then reappear when they've got their poo poo together, or not at all.

The train seems to have a positive goal but becomes increasingly sinister the more you learn about it. By all indications, this is fully intentional.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like to think that most people know the train exists in a abstract way, just they don't know how it works, what it's for, or that it even is a real thing, so they are still shocked when it happens to THEM. Then after they don't show up for a few months, or their families try to raise a missing persons thing and the cop asks "Was there any incidents of heightened emotional stress or unusually excessive misbehaviour? Yeah, thought so. They're probably on the train, it's not a missing persons thing yet. They'll either show up in a few weeks having calmed down, or they'll show up dead." then they realise what's happened.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Animal-Mother posted:

Never watched Avatar The Last Airbender until binging it these past few weeks. Now I get it. Probably the best kids' cartoon show ever.

Do not watch the live action movie.

Legend of Korra is pretty ok if you're otherwise starved for content.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

I like to think that most people know the train exists in a abstract way, just they don't know how it works, what it's for, or that it even is a real thing, so they are still shocked when it happens to THEM. Then after they don't show up for a few months, or their families try to raise a missing persons thing and the cop asks "Was there any incidents of heightened emotional stress or unusually excessive misbehaviour? Yeah, thought so. They're probably on the train, it's not a missing persons thing yet. They'll either show up in a few weeks having calmed down, or they'll show up dead." then they realise what's happened.

I was thinking about some tiny internet forum of people investigating 'The Train' phenomena, trying to find clues, finding a support group of people who have been on the train (sure, it solves one problem, but you're going to be getting nightmares for years after about some of the other stuff you see), and the group trying to piece together exactly what's going on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I was thinking about some tiny internet forum of people investigating 'The Train' phenomena, trying to find clues, finding a support group of people who have been on the train (sure, it solves one problem, but you're going to be getting nightmares for years after about some of the other stuff you see), and the group trying to piece together exactly what's going on.

The show hasn’t been shy about letting weird consequences get off the train. Tulip doesn’t have a reflection and her reflection is a metal teenager living with another train survivor.

I find the mirror world stuff more unsettling than the train, as it apparently has nothing to do with the train except that there’s one car that lets mirror people out—the mirror people don’t seem to be creations of the train. There’s definitely a sense with Infinity Train that the fundamental nature of the universe is extremely weird and unsettling, with the train just being one instance of that sublime, terrible universe.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 18, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It's been a few months since I binged Infinity Train, but I had a series-long theory about what was going on:

I think the train is from a desolate ruined future and was created/evolved by itself to "fix" the bad nature of humans in the past so that the calamity never happens.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The show hasn’t been shy about letting weird consequences get off the train. Tulip doesn’t have a shadow, and her shadow is a metal teenager living with another train survivor.

I find the mirror world stuff more unsettling than the train, as it apparently has nothing to do with the train except that there’s one car that lets mirror people out—the mirror people don’t seem to be creations of the train. There’s definitely a sense with Infinity Train that the fundamental nature of the universe is extremely weird and unsettling, with the train just being one instance of that sublime, terrible universe.

I do wonder how people in our world deal with Lake. Like, she's a living metal mirror person, she's not going to be working as a barista somewhere.

Ministry of Pork
Jun 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I do wonder how people in our world deal with Lake. Like, she's a living metal mirror person, she's not going to be working as a barista somewhere.

Ehhh, maybe Portland.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ministry of Pork posted:

Ehhh, maybe Portland.
:hmmyes:

-"What's her deal?"
-"She's a mirror."
-"Huh."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
She can just pretend she's one of those human statue people in parks, only she's really bad at it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Beachcomber posted:

Do not watch the live action movie.

Legend of Korra is pretty ok if you're otherwise starved for content.

Just did. I had heard it was terrible but WOW. Every single decision was wrong and bad. Casting, CGI, pronouncing every character's name wrong. The water tribe general going "Hooooooooo"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

Just did. I had heard it was terrible but WOW. Every single decision was wrong and bad. Casting, CGI, pronouncing every character's name wrong. The water tribe general going "Hooooooooo"

Personally I'm fond of the fact that a five person dance squad of earth benders was needed to chuck a single rock.

Also the penis hair.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

JazzFlight posted:

It's been a few months since I binged Infinity Train, but I had a series-long theory about what was going on:

I think the train is from a desolate ruined future and was created/evolved by itself to "fix" the bad nature of humans in the past so that the calamity never happens.

I like this theory.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

readingatwork posted:

Personally I'm fond of the fact that a five person dance squad of earth benders was needed to chuck a single rock.

Also the penis hair.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I almost feel like Mike and Bryan cast Seychelle Gabriel in Legend of Korra as a means of apologizing that she had to be involved in the production of that trainwreck of a movie. Which was good either way because she knocked it out of the park as Asami Sato.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aasif Mandvi as Zhao is a casting choice that to this day I refuse to believe.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gonna be honest, he was a highlight, because I pictured every one of his scenes ending with him throwing back to Jon

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I only saw The Last Airbender once and that was through RiffTrax. Even then it was still insufferable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Avatar, here’s some recent news regarding the upcoming Netflix series:

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/02/19/avatar-the-last-airbender-kim/

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I will never watch a live action Avatar TV show and you can't make me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

I will never watch a live action Avatar TV show and you can't make me.

There’s a chance it might be better than the movie at least but that’s kind of a low bar

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 20, 2021

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larryb posted:

it might be better than the movie at least.

i mean that bar is four feet underground, so

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

Neither will I, though to be fair the showrunner is Asian and the original creators are involved so it might be better than the movie at least.
i thought the creators broke off from the project due to creative differences ie Netflix wanting to change a bunch of poo poo

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Larryb posted:

Neither will I, though to be fair the showrunner is Asian and the original creators are involved so it might be better than the movie at least.

Actually, the original creators bailed back in August for reasons that were vague, but not encouraging.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

i mean that bar is four feet underground, so

Right, that ain’t saying much to be honest.

Though one bit of oddity from the article is that they apparently futzed around with Katara and Sokka’s ages, so now it’s:

Katara: 16
Sokka: 14

While Aang is still physically 12.

YggiDee posted:

Actually, the original creators bailed back in August for reasons that were vague, but not encouraging.

Oh yeah, nevermind that part then

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
When the breakup is that public you just know there's some real nasty poo poo going on. Like straight up saying "well, it might be good, but it will not be anything we wanted to make." is insane in hollywood.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Though one bit of oddity from the article is that they apparently futzed around with Katara and Sokka’s ages, so now it’s:

Katara: 16
Sokka: 14

While Aang is still physically 12.

Zuko's 16 too, which explains Katara being aged up.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

are they planning on making zutara a thing? cause if not....

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know if it's a good idea to do a live-action series starring mainly child actors. Child actors can be a gamble, but onscreen acting is even more complicated. I know I've heard things about Stranger Things pulling it off, but I've never seen it, and I have my doubts.

Also it still seems weird to do a straight-up remake of the show after not that long. It doesn't even sound like Netflix is planning much of a new spin on it.

Larryb posted:

Shyamalan was asian, but he decided to make his own kind of asian more prominent, which was a weird decision. Not really what dragged the movie down, but still weird. I'm not sure how many asians were involved in the showrunning of the original series, but I think Mike and Brian weren't. I know that they got a fair amount of ethnic voice talent though.

How respectful people are of the terrestrial cultures they're inspired by isn't necessarily correlated with their own individual ethnic identity.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Avatar did notably give a lot more respect and trust towards the overseas studios in Korea than most western shows (with Korra even moreso than the original arguably)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shyamalan was asian, but he decided to make his own kind of asian more prominent, which was a weird decision. Not really what dragged the movie down, but still weird. I'm not sure how many asians were involved in the showrunning of the original series, but I think Mike and Brian weren't. I know that they got a fair amount of ethnic voice talent though.

How respectful people are of the terrestrial cultures they're inspired by isn't necessarily correlated with their own individual ethnic identity.

Fair point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

it's kind of funny that, for all the poo poo TLA got for whitewashing the main cast (understandably), diversity was not one of its problems. it was plenty diverse, just...with some really questionable choices.