Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Right, it’s illustrating that everything he did and said, in some way, contributed to the harmful or abusive environment, and more importantly that it doesn’t seem to bother him at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/TheCut/status/1359555968917528579?s=20

https://twitter.com/esmebianco/status/1359870976750542852?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/bondnickbond/st...ingawful.com%2F

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Write-up on the new Woody Allen docu. There's a part involving sunscreen that's pretty graphic and gross as hell.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/allen-v-farrow-is-a-horrifying-indictment-of-woody-allen

edit: it gets a lot worse

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vegetable posted:

Write-up on the new Woody Allen docu. There's a part involving sunscreen that's pretty graphic and gross as hell.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/allen-v-farrow-is-a-horrifying-indictment-of-woody-allen

edit: it gets a lot worse

Can’t read the article cause it wants a subscription.

Mind giving us the lowdown?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can’t read the article cause it wants a subscription.

Mind giving us the lowdown?
You can stop the page load before the block comes up. If you've read any of the articles about this before there's nothing new here (in this article, I don't know if there's anything new in the doc).

quote:

As Judge Elliott Wilk, who presided over the shocking custody case between Mia Farrow and Woody Allen in New York State Supreme Court concluded, “We will probably never know what occurred on August 4, 1992.” But the new four-part documentary series Allen v. Farrow makes a thoroughly convincing argument that Allen indeed molested his 7-year-old daughter, Dylan Farrow, that fateful day in their Connecticut home.

Premiering Feb. 21 on HBO, the shot-in-secret series took three years to make, and comes from the directorial team of Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering, who most recently helmed On the Record, a powerful documentary highlighting the brave women—Drew Dixon, Sil Lai Abrams, Sheri Sher, and others—who came forward with allegations of abuse against hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons. Seven years ago, I reported on the findings of the custody case between Farrow and Allen, researching all the documents I could find, and conducted an awkward interview with Allen during the press tour for his film Magic in the Moonlight in which he dodged questions about the Farrow allegations until his publicist threatened to end the interview.

But what Dick, Ziering, and their producing partner Amy Herdy have accomplished here is far more exhaustive, featuring internal documents as well as interviews with Dylan, Mia, and Ronan Farrow, members of the Previn clan, a number of family friends, officials involved in the cases, and childcare experts, all of whom echo the other portion of Judge Wilk’s ruling, “That Mr. Allen’s behavior toward Dylan was grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her.”

According to then-partner Mia Farrow, it was Allen who’d suggested the family adopt a cute blond girl—and so Farrow adopted six-month-old Dylan in 1985. Almost immediately, Allen is said to have developed an obsession with Dylan. She recalls him constantly “hovering” around her, explaining, “I was always in his clutches. He was always hunting me.” Casey Pascal, a close family friend, would bring her kids over but “there was no point” because Allen would always go off with her; Priscilla Gilman, Dylan’s friend at the time, remembers how Allen “followed Dylan wherever she went,” and would often be caught standing nearby silently watching her. “He would come, and she would run away from the door, and say, ‘Hide me! Hide me! At first, I thought it was like a game, but then I realized she actually sensed this kind of smothering energy from him,” Gilman says in the film.

Around this time, Dylan would start locking herself in bathrooms. Her family describes how a once-effervescent and talkative girl became incredibly withdrawn, resembling “a dead animal.”

Allen’s behavior toward Dylan became increasingly affectionate and, Mia and others maintain, began crossing the line into creepy, as Allen would allegedly cuddle with Farrow in bed in their underwear. “I remember sitting on the edge of his bed. The light in the room, the satin sheets,” says Dylan. “I have memories of getting into bed with him. He was in his underwear, and I’m in my underwear cuddling. I remember his breath on me. He would just wrap his body around me very intimately.”

“The first time that I saw it, I was coming into the room and he was getting out of the bed, and so I saw that he was only wearing underwear,” adds Gilman. “And I just kind of turned around and walked the other way, because I didn’t want him to know that I had seen it.”

Mia Farrow recounts how Allen would “kneel in front of [Dylan] or sit next to her and put his face in her lap, which I caught a couple of times, and I didn’t think it was right.” Her sister Tisa Farrow offers even more damning testimony, revealing that during a visit to their Connecticut country home in the summer, as the young kids were running around naked by the beach, “Mia handed Woody a thing of sunscreen to put on, and he was rubbing Dylan’s back… His hand went down between her buttocks and kind of lingered there and suggestively—I have to say suggestively, because that’s what it was—went between her buttocks’ cheeks with his finger and then came back. And Mia saw it too and snatched the sunscreen away.”

Allen also apparently had a habit of having Dylan suck on his thumb. “I remember sitting on the steps with him in the country house. There was nobody else around, and he was directing me on how to suck his thumb—telling me what to do with my tongue, and I think that lasted a while. It felt like a long time,” Dylan says in the film. “I saw her sucking his thumb, which was really, really weird. He said, this helps her, this calms her down,” adds Priscilla.

We are shown home video footage of young Dylan, in a diaper, with her hand resting on the inside of Allen’s thigh.

Due to all the strange behavior, Mia says she eventually confronted Allen about it, and he became enraged. Still, Mia couldn’t believe that the man she loved, her life partner and collaborator, was a pedophile. So, she had Allen see a clinical psychologist concerning his behavior with Dylan, who subsequently determined that Allen was being “inappropriately intense” with Dylan, but that it “wasn’t sexual.” In light of that, Mia said she let Allen formally adopt Dylan and Moses, a young boy Mia had adopted from Korea, since she felt he was her “life’s partner.”

Allen v. Farrow makes the case that Allen has a predilection for young women. In addition to clips of his films, often pairing older men with barely of-age women, the docuseries features Christina Englehardt, the supposed inspiration for Mariel Hemingway’s character in Manhattan, who met Allen when she was 16, and says the two became romantic when she turned 17 (“It’s taken a toll on how I’ve been in relationships,” she maintains of Allen). There are the Woody Allen Papers at Princeton University—a comprehensive archive of letters, scripts, and papers by Allen, that journalist Richard Morgan examined for The Washington Post. “The thing that kept on showing up was this sort of focus he had on very young women,” he reveals.

And then there is the matter of Mia’s adopted daughter Soon-Yi. When Mia famously found a stack of nude Polaroid pictures of Soon-Yi—then a college freshman—on Allen’s nightstand, the family was thrown into chaos, with all the children siding against Allen. “My opinion of him changed completely. He went from a father figure to a person who is a predator who we have to keep out of the house and protect ourselves from,” attests Fletcher Previn, Mia’s child from a previous marriage who was partially raised by Allen.
I remember my mom told me and Ronan, ‘Daddy took naked pictures of Soon-Yi.’ And that was sort of the first instance where I thought, ‘Oh… it’s not just me…’

The film intimates that Allen “groomed” Soon-Yi over a period of years, and that his sexual interest in her may have actually began when she was in high school, providing the following carefully worded text:

Allen claims his relationship with Soon-Yi began after her first semester of college in December 1991. Court testimony suggests their relationship may have begun much earlier. Both Allen’s doorman and the building manager testified in court to having seen Soon-Yi visit Allen many times during her senior year of high school and first year of college. Allen’s housekeeper testified she found what she believed to be semen stains on the sheets and condom wrappers in the wastebasket after Soon-Yi’s visits, while Soon-Yi was still in high school. Seven months after Soon-Yi graduated high school, Mia discovered explicit photos of her in Allen’s apartment.

“I remember my mom told me and Ronan, ‘Daddy took naked pictures of Soon-Yi.’ And that was sort of the first instance where I thought, ‘Oh… it’s not just me,’” says Dylan.

Still, Dylan claims that she could not yet bring herself to come forward about Allen’s uncomfortable behavior toward her—both because she still felt it was the way fathers treated their daughters, and that she feared his wrath.

“At one point, we were all sitting at the dinner table and we were eating spaghetti. And I thought I was being funny by calling him ‘Woody’ instead of ‘Daddy.’ And he was getting progressively more agitated by it,” Dylan remembers. “And he grabs me by the back of my neck and shoves my face down into my plate of hot spaghetti, and that was sort of when I realized that that’s what happens if I say no. Doing what he says is the only way to protect myself.”

Then came the alleged incident on Aug. 4, 1992, which Dylan says changed everything.

That day was a rather busy one at the Farrow-Allen home in Connecticut. Casey Pascal’s children were over, along with their babysitter, Allison Stickland; Mia’s babysitter, Kristi Groteke, was around to watch over her flock; and Sophie Berge, Dylan and Ronan’s French tutor, was also there. Not long after Mia and Casey went off to the store, Berge says that Allen arrived. But then, according to Berge and Groteke, Allen and Dylan went missing for “about 20 minutes.” When Mia returns, she notices that Dylan isn’t wearing any underwear.

The next morning, Mia received a disturbing call from Pascal. “I called Mia and said, ‘Allison said that she saw Dylan sitting on the couch with Woody kneeling on the floor with his head buried in her lap. And she said that she felt that she had walked in on a very adult situation, and she realized that it was a child—it was a child she was seeing. And she was horrified to the core. She said Dylan was staring off into space, and Woody’s face was in her lap,” Pascal says in the film.

An alarmed Mia asked Dylan if that had happened, and she said yes. Then, since Dylan’s therapist was away for the summer, Mia decided to make a video of 7-year-old Dylan discussing what she says had happened with Allen. Clips from the grainy home video, dated Aug. 5, 1992, are shown in Allen v. Farrow, and they are incredibly upsetting. In the video, Mia can be heard asking Dylan what happened that day, and she replies, “We went into your room, and we went into the attic. Then he started telling me weird things. Then secret he went into the attic [inaudible] went behind me and touched my privates.” When Mia asks where Allen touched her, she points to her vaginal area. “Well, when I was in the attic, he said, ‘Do not move. I have to do this.’ But I wiggled my bum, to see what he was doing, he said, ‘Don’t move, I have to do this! So if you stay still, then um… we can go to Paris,” Dylan remarks later on in the video.

“We were in the TV room, and he reached behind me and he touched my butt. And then he told me to come up to the attic with him,” recalls a present-day Dylan in the film. “I remember laying there on my stomach and my back was to him, so I couldn’t see what was going on. I felt trapped. He was saying things like, ‘We’re gonna go to Paris together. You’re gonna be in all my movies.’ Then he sexually assaulted me. And I remember just focusing on my brother’s train set. And then… he just stopped. He was done. And we just went downstairs.”

Mia brought Dylan to their pediatrician the following day, and Dylan told him what had happened. The doctor then, unbeknownst to Mia, reported it to the police. Shortly thereafter, both the NYC Child Welfare Administration and the Connecticut State Police opened investigations into the alleged child sexual assault at the hands of Allen.

Episodes of Allen v. Farrow end with the text, “Woody Allen denies ever having been violent or sexually abusive with Dylan. He also denies ever having been sexually inappropriate with any teenaged girl.”

Following the news of the investigations into his alleged child sexual abuse, Allen decides to hold a packed press conference at the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan, where he declares his love for Soon-Yi and argues that Farrow concocted the Dylan abuse story to get back at him for it. Then, Allen unleashed a press blitz, appearing on 60 Minutes and the covers of Time, Newsweek, and People magazines, to hammer home his side of the story and drown out Dylan and Mia’s. And the press were all too ready to side with the filmmaker over Mia, who fought to keep the matter private for the safety of her children. Allen is also accused of having a team of private investigators trail the Farrow clan—scaring the kids—in search of any possible dirt that would help their case.
And the press were all too ready to side with the filmmaker over Mia, who fought to keep the matter private for the safety of her children.

The few journalists who weren’t complicit in Allen’s PR campaign were women, including Maureen Orth of Vanity Fair, whose piece detailing the Farrows’ side didn’t make the cover of the magazine, though she did find out that Allen had refused to submit to Connecticut State Police’s polygraph test, and instead opted for a private polygraph by a hired hand. Meanwhile, a news report at the time by Rosanna Scotto of local Fox 5 NY alleges, “Here at the Episcopal School on Manhattan’s East Side, sources tell us exclusively that Woody Allen was so obsessed with Dylan, who was then 3 years old, that parents and teachers began talking about how Allen would sit in the doorway, positioned, to watch Dylan in the classroom.”

Allen v. Farrow also contains a series of taped phone calls (by Mia) between Mia and Allen, since the two were taping each other’s calls during this period. In one eye-opening exchange, Mia pleads with Allen to tell her what happened the day of Aug. 4. “If I have a shred of belief left in you, then help me now. Tell me where you were for those 20 minutes,” she asks, her voice cracking in distress. “All the details when the time comes…” replies Allen, rather ominously.

When Mia presses again and again as to why he can’t just tell her where he was, he coolly repeats it: “All the details when the time comes, and the truth will come out.”

Over the years, Allen’s defenders have often cited the report by the Yale New Haven Child Abuse Sex Clinic, which was commissioned by Connecticut state prosecutor Frank Maco. The team overseeing Dylan’s case was led by John Leventhal, who was joined by social workers Julia Hamilton and Jennifer Sawyer. The New Haven report ultimately contended there were “inconsistencies” in Dylan’s story; that she had “difficulty distinguishing fantasy from reality”; and that the allegations “were likely reinforced and encouraged by her mother who was enraged with Mr. Allen.” Without informing Maco, the team notified Farrow and Allen of the results, which allowed Allen to then hold a rather tasteless victory-lap press conference outside of the New Haven hospital.

In Allen v. Farrow, a number of childcare professionals—from child psychologists to case workers—break down the New Haven report, and find a number of perceived oddities, including the fact that Hamilton and Sawyer interviewed Dylan a staggering nine times over the course of three months—unheard of for an alleged victim of child sexual abuse. “The more I was asked the same question over and over, the more I started to wonder: What do they want from me?” says Dylan in the film. “And feeling like the more I said the same thing, it was the wrong answer. Like, I was being treated like I was lying.”

The New Haven report also reasoned that Dylan was “delusional” because she would occasionally refer to “the magical hour,” a phrase she’d commonly heard on film sets, and called mannequins “dead heads,” which both seemed like reasonable descriptions for a 7-year-old. Furthermore, in another head-scratcher, Hamilton and Sawyer decided to destroy all of their contemporaneous notes.

As for the NYC Child Welfare Administration, investigator Sheryl Harden assigned the case to Paul Williams, a star employee who’d been awarded “Caseworker of the Year” by the City of New York. Williams found Dylan to be credible, and per his contemporaneous notes—which were obtained by the filmmakers—concluded that there was sufficient evidence to open up a case of child sexual abuse against Woody Allen, and included an exchange with Sawyer where she told Williams that she “believes Dylan.” But then Williams was mysteriously fired for “insubordination,” causing the case to die. When Williams’ firing was contested, a judge determined that Williams shouldn’t have been fired, reinstated him, and awarded him backpay.

“In the end, the result was that people with power were able to get the case removed,” Gloria Steinem, who supported Williams’ case, says in the film. “It just seemed to me, like everything I could glean as a reporter, to be a case of great injustice.”

Harden, who appears in Allen v. Farrow, was so disgusted with the process that she quit the NYC Child Welfare Administration about a year after the Dylan case.

Just when it looked as though Allen might get away scot-free, the show alleges that his vindictiveness took hold and he decided to sue Farrow for custody of their children. The child-custody trial in New York State Supreme Court dealt several blows to Allen’s credibility, as Allen claimed he was never alone with Dylan on Aug. 4—testimony that was contradicted by babysitters Groteke and Stickland, as well as French tutor Sophie Berge. Stickland testified that “Dylan was sitting upright on the couch and Woody was kneeling directly in front of her with his face in Dylan’s lap… His face was very close to her private area.”

Mia’s videos of Dylan discussing Allen’s alleged abuse were entered into evidence in the trial, while Judge Wilk poured cold water on the New Haven report, saying, “The unavailability of the notes, together with their unwillingness to testify at this trial except through the deposition of Dr. Leventhal, compromised my ability to scrutinize their findings and resulted in a report which was sanitized and, therefore, less credible.” Judge Wilk ruled that Farrow was “a caring and loving mother”; that there was “no credible evidence to support Mr. Allen’s contention that Ms. Farrow coached Dylan”; and that “Mr. Allen’s behavior toward Dylan was grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her… It is unclear whether Mr. Allen will ever develop the insight and judgment necessary for him to relate to Dylan appropriately.” Allen was ordered to pay Farrow’s $1 million in legal fees, and to only be allowed to meet with Dylan during supervised visits.

The Connecticut State Police investigation, meanwhile, discovered that Allen was inconsistent about whether he’d ever been in the attic with Dylan, and three childcare specialists from separate agencies found that Dylan’s testimony was “consistent,” “honest,” and believed “the victim was telling the truth.” The investigators concluded that “an arrest warrant be issued for the accused” on the charges of 1st- and 4th-degree sexual assault of a minor. But Maco declined to file charges against Allen out of a concern for young Dylan’s safety. “My concern was the further traumatization of the child,” Maco says in the film. “She had already been through so much. Was it truly in her best interest to put her on the stand?”

In addition to the media, Allen v. Farrow points a finger at Hollywood for continuing to support Allen and strengthen his mystique. There’s footage of Allen receiving a standing ovation at the 2002 Academy Awards, and a montage of A-list actors who worked with Allen after 1992 singing his praises, from Scarlett Johansson and Javier Bardem to Penelope Cruz. Then there was Emma Stone, who presented a lifetime achievement honor to Allen at the 2014 Golden Globes, which was accepted by Diane Keaton on his behalf. Dylan, Mia, and Ronan looked on in horror as Hollywood continued to celebrate a man they saw as a monster.

In 2014, after her brother Ronan tweeted about the molestation allegation during those Golden Globes, Dylan says that she submitted an op-ed to both the Los Angeles Times and The New York Times. The Los Angeles Times rejected Dylan’s essay, as did The New York Times’ op-ed page, so Ronan went to his family friend Nicholas Kristof, who was allowed to publish it on his New York Times blog (the Times’ op-ed page opted instead for Allen’s lengthy rebuttal).

“I am that little girl on the tape,” Dylan shares in the film. “So… it’s a very vulnerable part of me, and a very… a very hurt part of me. There’s a lot of… That little girl is in a lot of pain.”

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 16, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's odd, it loaded for be immediately.

The basic is these filmmakers secretly made a documentary about Allen and him being a predator, it has interviews with Ronan and Dylan, it has court records, never before heard phone conversations and anecdotes, and really paints a picture of Allen being a sexual predatious monster and the press covering up for him. It's coming out in a few weeks on HBO. He did some very content warning poo poo best left up to you if you want to read the article or watch the doc.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
God what a loving scumbag,thanks for the copy paste.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Can someone edit to pop that article text behind spoiler tags and maybe add a content warning? That's very detailed and graphic.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, that was a horrifying thing to read.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Graphic descriptions of alleged child sexual abuse.

As Judge Elliott Wilk, who presided over the shocking custody case between Mia Farrow and Woody Allen in New York State Supreme Court concluded, “We will probably never know what occurred on August 4, 1992.” But the new four-part documentary series Allen v. Farrow makes a thoroughly convincing argument that Allen indeed molested his 7-year-old daughter, Dylan Farrow, that fateful day in their Connecticut home.

Premiering Feb. 21 on HBO, the shot-in-secret series took three years to make, and comes from the directorial team of Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering, who most recently helmed On the Record, a powerful documentary highlighting the brave women—Drew Dixon, Sil Lai Abrams, Sheri Sher, and others—who came forward with allegations of abuse against hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons. Seven years ago, I reported on the findings of the custody case between Farrow and Allen, researching all the documents I could find, and conducted an awkward interview with Allen during the press tour for his film Magic in the Moonlight in which he dodged questions about the Farrow allegations until his publicist threatened to end the interview.

But what Dick, Ziering, and their producing partner Amy Herdy have accomplished here is far more exhaustive, featuring internal documents as well as interviews with Dylan, Mia, and Ronan Farrow, members of the Previn clan, a number of family friends, officials involved in the cases, and childcare experts, all of whom echo the other portion of Judge Wilk’s ruling, “That Mr. Allen’s behavior toward Dylan was grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her.”

Mariel Hemingway Reckons With Mental Health, Woody Allen, and ‘Manhattan’: ‘I Was a Kid’

According to then-partner Mia Farrow, it was Allen who’d suggested the family adopt a cute blond girl—and so Farrow adopted six-month-old Dylan in 1985. Almost immediately, Allen is said to have developed an obsession with Dylan. She recalls him constantly “hovering” around her, explaining, “I was always in his clutches. He was always hunting me.” Casey Pascal, a close family friend, would bring her kids over but “there was no point” because Allen would always go off with her; Priscilla Gilman, Dylan’s friend at the time, remembers how Allen “followed Dylan wherever she went,” and would often be caught standing nearby silently watching her. “He would come, and she would run away from the door, and say, ‘Hide me! Hide me! At first, I thought it was like a game, but then I realized she actually sensed this kind of smothering energy from him,” Gilman says in the film.

Around this time, Dylan would start locking herself in bathrooms. Her family describes how a once-effervescent and talkative girl became incredibly withdrawn, resembling “a dead animal.”

Allen’s behavior toward Dylan became increasingly affectionate and, Mia and others maintain, began crossing the line into creepy, as Allen would allegedly cuddle with Farrow in bed in their underwear. “I remember sitting on the edge of his bed. The light in the room, the satin sheets,” says Dylan. “I have memories of getting into bed with him. He was in his underwear, and I’m in my underwear cuddling. I remember his breath on me. He would just wrap his body around me very intimately.”

“The first time that I saw it, I was coming into the room and he was getting out of the bed, and so I saw that he was only wearing underwear,” adds Gilman. “And I just kind of turned around and walked the other way, because I didn’t want him to know that I had seen it.”

Mia Farrow recounts how Allen would “kneel in front of [Dylan] or sit next to her and put his face in her lap, which I caught a couple of times, and I didn’t think it was right.” Her sister Tisa Farrow offers even more damning testimony, revealing that during a visit to their Connecticut country home in the summer, as the young kids were running around naked by the beach, “Mia handed Woody a thing of sunscreen to put on, and he was rubbing Dylan’s back… His hand went down between her buttocks and kind of lingered there and suggestively—I have to say suggestively, because that’s what it was—went between her buttocks’ cheeks with his finger and then came back. And Mia saw it too and snatched the sunscreen away.”

Allen also apparently had a habit of having Dylan suck on his thumb. “I remember sitting on the steps with him in the country house. There was nobody else around, and he was directing me on how to suck his thumb—telling me what to do with my tongue, and I think that lasted a while. It felt like a long time,” Dylan says in the film. “I saw her sucking his thumb, which was really, really weird. He said, this helps her, this calms her down,” adds Priscilla.

We are shown home video footage of young Dylan, in a diaper, with her hand resting on the inside of Allen’s thigh.

Inside the Shocking Custody Case Court Documents that Shed Light on the Dylan Farrow-Woody Allen Saga

Due to all the strange behavior, Mia says she eventually confronted Allen about it, and he became enraged. Still, Mia couldn’t believe that the man she loved, her life partner and collaborator, was a pedophile. So, she had Allen see a clinical psychologist concerning his behavior with Dylan, who subsequently determined that Allen was being “inappropriately intense” with Dylan, but that it “wasn’t sexual.” In light of that, Mia said she let Allen formally adopt Dylan and Moses, a young boy Mia had adopted from Korea, since she felt he was her “life’s partner.”

Allen v. Farrow makes the case that Allen has a predilection for young women. In addition to clips of his films, often pairing older men with barely of-age women, the docuseries features Christina Englehardt, the supposed inspiration for Mariel Hemingway’s character in Manhattan, who met Allen when she was 16, and says the two became romantic when she turned 17 (“It’s taken a toll on how I’ve been in relationships,” she maintains of Allen). There are the Woody Allen Papers at Princeton University—a comprehensive archive of letters, scripts, and papers by Allen, that journalist Richard Morgan examined for The Washington Post. “The thing that kept on showing up was this sort of focus he had on very young women,” he reveals.

And then there is the matter of Mia’s adopted daughter Soon-Yi. When Mia famously found a stack of nude Polaroid pictures of Soon-Yi—then a college freshman—on Allen’s nightstand, the family was thrown into chaos, with all the children siding against Allen. “My opinion of him changed completely. He went from a father figure to a person who is a predator who we have to keep out of the house and protect ourselves from,” attests Fletcher Previn, Mia’s child from a previous marriage who was partially raised by Allen.

The film intimates that Allen “groomed” Soon-Yi over a period of years, and that his sexual interest in her may have actually began when she was in high school, providing the following carefully worded text:

Allen claims his relationship with Soon-Yi began after her first semester of college in December 1991. Court testimony suggests their relationship may have begun much earlier. Both Allen’s doorman and the building manager testified in court to having seen Soon-Yi visit Allen many times during her senior year of high school and first year of college. Allen’s housekeeper testified she found what she believed to be semen stains on the sheets and condom wrappers in the wastebasket after Soon-Yi’s visits, while Soon-Yi was still in high school. Seven months after Soon-Yi graduated high school, Mia discovered explicit photos of her in Allen’s apartment.

“I remember my mom told me and Ronan, ‘Daddy took naked pictures of Soon-Yi.’ And that was sort of the first instance where I thought, ‘Oh… it’s not just me,’” says Dylan.

Still, Dylan claims that she could not yet bring herself to come forward about Allen’s uncomfortable behavior toward her—both because she still felt it was the way fathers treated their daughters, and that she feared his wrath.

“At one point, we were all sitting at the dinner table and we were eating spaghetti. And I thought I was being funny by calling him ‘Woody’ instead of ‘Daddy.’ And he was getting progressively more agitated by it,” Dylan remembers. “And he grabs me by the back of my neck and shoves my face down into my plate of hot spaghetti, and that was sort of when I realized that that’s what happens if I say no. Doing what he says is the only way to protect myself.”

Then came the alleged incident on Aug. 4, 1992, which Dylan says changed everything.

That day was a rather busy one at the Farrow-Allen home in Connecticut. Casey Pascal’s children were over, along with their babysitter, Allison Stickland; Mia’s babysitter, Kristi Groteke, was around to watch over her flock; and Sophie Berge, Dylan and Ronan’s French tutor, was also there. Not long after Mia and Casey went off to the store, Berge says that Allen arrived. But then, according to Berge and Groteke, Allen and Dylan went missing for “about 20 minutes.” When Mia returns, she notices that Dylan isn’t wearing any underwear.

The next morning, Mia received a disturbing call from Pascal. “I called Mia and said, ‘Allison said that she saw Dylan sitting on the couch with Woody kneeling on the floor with his head buried in her lap. And she said that she felt that she had walked in on a very adult situation, and she realized that it was a child—it was a child she was seeing. And she was horrified to the core. She said Dylan was staring off into space, and Woody’s face was in her lap,” Pascal says in the film.

An alarmed Mia asked Dylan if that had happened, and she said yes. Then, since Dylan’s therapist was away for the summer, Mia decided to make a video of 7-year-old Dylan discussing what she says had happened with Allen. Clips from the grainy home video, dated Aug. 5, 1992, are shown in Allen v. Farrow, and they are incredibly upsetting. In the video, Mia can be heard asking Dylan what happened that day, and she replies, “We went into your room, and we went into the attic. Then he started telling me weird things. Then secret he went into the attic [inaudible] went behind me and touched my privates.” When Mia asks where Allen touched her, she points to her vaginal area. “Well, when I was in the attic, he said, ‘Do not move. I have to do this.’ But I wiggled my bum, to see what he was doing, he said, ‘Don’t move, I have to do this! So if you stay still, then um… we can go to Paris,” Dylan remarks later on in the video.

“We were in the TV room, and he reached behind me and he touched my butt. And then he told me to come up to the attic with him,” recalls a present-day Dylan in the film. “I remember laying there on my stomach and my back was to him, so I couldn’t see what was going on. I felt trapped. He was saying things like, ‘We’re gonna go to Paris together. You’re gonna be in all my movies.’ Then he sexually assaulted me. And I remember just focusing on my brother’s train set. And then… he just stopped. He was done. And we just went downstairs.”

Mia brought Dylan to their pediatrician the following day, and Dylan told him what had happened. The doctor then, unbeknownst to Mia, reported it to the police. Shortly thereafter, both the NYC Child Welfare Administration and the Connecticut State Police opened investigations into the alleged child sexual assault at the hands of Allen.

Episodes of Allen v. Farrow end with the text, “Woody Allen denies ever having been violent or sexually abusive with Dylan. He also denies ever having been sexually inappropriate with any teenaged girl.”

Following the news of the investigations into his alleged child sexual abuse, Allen decides to hold a packed press conference at the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan, where he declares his love for Soon-Yi and argues that Farrow concocted the Dylan abuse story to get back at him for it. Then, Allen unleashed a press blitz, appearing on 60 Minutes and the covers of Time, Newsweek, and People magazines, to hammer home his side of the story and drown out Dylan and Mia’s. And the press were all too ready to side with the filmmaker over Mia, who fought to keep the matter private for the safety of her children. Allen is also accused of having a team of private investigators trail the Farrow clan—scaring the kids—in search of any possible dirt that would help their case.

The few journalists who weren’t complicit in Allen’s PR campaign were women, including Maureen Orth of Vanity Fair, whose piece detailing the Farrows’ side didn’t make the cover of the magazine, though she did find out that Allen had refused to submit to Connecticut State Police’s polygraph test, and instead opted for a private polygraph by a hired hand. Meanwhile, a news report at the time by Rosanna Scotto of local Fox 5 NY alleges, “Here at the Episcopal School on Manhattan’s East Side, sources tell us exclusively that Woody Allen was so obsessed with Dylan, who was then 3 years old, that parents and teachers began talking about how Allen would sit in the doorway, positioned, to watch Dylan in the classroom.”

Allen v. Farrow also contains a series of taped phone calls (by Mia) between Mia and Allen, since the two were taping each other’s calls during this period. In one eye-opening exchange, Mia pleads with Allen to tell her what happened the day of Aug. 4. “If I have a shred of belief left in you, then help me now. Tell me where you were for those 20 minutes,” she asks, her voice cracking in distress. “All the details when the time comes…” replies Allen, rather ominously.

When Mia presses again and again as to why he can’t just tell her where he was, he coolly repeats it: “All the details when the time comes, and the truth will come out.”

Over the years, Allen’s defenders have often cited the report by the Yale New Haven Child Abuse Sex Clinic, which was commissioned by Connecticut state prosecutor Frank Maco. The team overseeing Dylan’s case was led by John Leventhal, who was joined by social workers Julia Hamilton and Jennifer Sawyer. The New Haven report ultimately contended there were “inconsistencies” in Dylan’s story; that she had “difficulty distinguishing fantasy from reality”; and that the allegations “were likely reinforced and encouraged by her mother who was enraged with Mr. Allen.” Without informing Maco, the team notified Farrow and Allen of the results, which allowed Allen to then hold a rather tasteless victory-lap press conference outside of the New Haven hospital.

In Allen v. Farrow, a number of childcare professionals—from child psychologists to case workers—break down the New Haven report, and find a number of perceived oddities, including the fact that Hamilton and Sawyer interviewed Dylan a staggering nine times over the course of three months—unheard of for an alleged victim of child sexual abuse. “The more I was asked the same question over and over, the more I started to wonder: What do they want from me?” says Dylan in the film. “And feeling like the more I said the same thing, it was the wrong answer. Like, I was being treated like I was lying.”

The New Haven report also reasoned that Dylan was “delusional” because she would occasionally refer to “the magical hour,” a phrase she’d commonly heard on film sets, and called mannequins “dead heads,” which both seemed like reasonable descriptions for a 7-year-old. Furthermore, in another head-scratcher, Hamilton and Sawyer decided to destroy all of their contemporaneous notes.

As for the NYC Child Welfare Administration, investigator Sheryl Harden assigned the case to Paul Williams, a star employee who’d been awarded “Caseworker of the Year” by the City of New York. Williams found Dylan to be credible, and per his contemporaneous notes—which were obtained by the filmmakers—concluded that there was sufficient evidence to open up a case of child sexual abuse against Woody Allen, and included an exchange with Sawyer where she told Williams that she “believes Dylan.” But then Williams was mysteriously fired for “insubordination,” causing the case to die. When Williams’ firing was contested, a judge determined that Williams shouldn’t have been fired, reinstated him, and awarded him backpay.

“In the end, the result was that people with power were able to get the case removed,” Gloria Steinem, who supported Williams’ case, says in the film. “It just seemed to me, like everything I could glean as a reporter, to be a case of great injustice.”

Harden, who appears in Allen v. Farrow, was so disgusted with the process that she quit the NYC Child Welfare Administration about a year after the Dylan case.

Just when it looked as though Allen might get away scot-free, the show alleges that his vindictiveness took hold and he decided to sue Farrow for custody of their children. The child-custody trial in New York State Supreme Court dealt several blows to Allen’s credibility, as Allen claimed he was never alone with Dylan on Aug. 4—testimony that was contradicted by babysitters Groteke and Stickland, as well as French tutor Sophie Berge. Stickland testified that “Dylan was sitting upright on the couch and Woody was kneeling directly in front of her with his face in Dylan’s lap… His face was very close to her private area.”

Mia’s videos of Dylan discussing Allen’s alleged abuse were entered into evidence in the trial, while Judge Wilk poured cold water on the New Haven report, saying, “The unavailability of the notes, together with their unwillingness to testify at this trial except through the deposition of Dr. Leventhal, compromised my ability to scrutinize their findings and resulted in a report which was sanitized and, therefore, less credible.” Judge Wilk ruled that Farrow was “a caring and loving mother”; that there was “no credible evidence to support Mr. Allen’s contention that Ms. Farrow coached Dylan”; and that “Mr. Allen’s behavior toward Dylan was grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her… It is unclear whether Mr. Allen will ever develop the insight and judgment necessary for him to relate to Dylan appropriately.” Allen was ordered to pay Farrow’s $1 million in legal fees, and to only be allowed to meet with Dylan during supervised visits.

The Connecticut State Police investigation, meanwhile, discovered that Allen was inconsistent about whether he’d ever been in the attic with Dylan, and three childcare specialists from separate agencies found that Dylan’s testimony was “consistent,” “honest,” and believed “the victim was telling the truth.” The investigators concluded that “an arrest warrant be issued for the accused” on the charges of 1st- and 4th-degree sexual assault of a minor. But Maco declined to file charges against Allen out of a concern for young Dylan’s safety. “My concern was the further traumatization of the child,” Maco says in the film. “She had already been through so much. Was it truly in her best interest to put her on the stand?”

In addition to the media, Allen v. Farrow points a finger at Hollywood for continuing to support Allen and strengthen his mystique. There’s footage of Allen receiving a standing ovation at the 2002 Academy Awards, and a montage of A-list actors who worked with Allen after 1992 singing his praises, from Scarlett Johansson and Javier Bardem to Penelope Cruz. Then there was Emma Stone, who presented a lifetime achievement honor to Allen at the 2014 Golden Globes, which was accepted by Diane Keaton on his behalf. Dylan, Mia, and Ronan looked on in horror as Hollywood continued to celebrate a man they saw as a monster.

In 2014, after her brother Ronan tweeted about the molestation allegation during those Golden Globes, Dylan says that she submitted an op-ed to both the Los Angeles Times and The New York Times. The Los Angeles Times rejected Dylan’s essay, as did The New York Times’ op-ed page, so Ronan went to his family friend Nicholas Kristof, who was allowed to publish it on his New York Times blog (the Times’ op-ed page opted instead for Allen’s lengthy rebuttal).

“I am that little girl on the tape,” Dylan shares in the film. “So… it’s a very vulnerable part of me, and a very… a very hurt part of me. There’s a lot of… That little girl is in a lot of pain.”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

also, thanks, but jesus christ I almost wish you hadn't.

disgusted at how much media space has been devoted to telling stories about how "crazy" Mia Farrow was despite all....this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Famethrowa posted:

also, thanks, but jesus christ I almost wish you hadn't.

disgusted at how much media space has been devoted to telling stories about how "crazy" Mia Farrow was despite all....this.

Think about how Sinead O'Connor was vilified for bringing attention to the Catholic Church's cover-ups of historic and on-going sexual abuse by the clergy. It's nothing new.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Welp, Woody Allen saying "I have to do this" over and over again is now burned into my loving brain :(

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Think about how Sinead O'Connor was vilified for bringing attention to the Catholic Church's cover-ups of historic and on-going sexual abuse by the clergy. It's nothing new.

Between there and here, in many cases the Catholic Church has been identified as a molestation organization that does some religious services on the side. Which you have to admit beggars belief.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The hosed up thing is Mia farrow was seen as a vindictive scorned woman because uhhh he left her for that adopted girl he raised. And loving groomed. It’s like someone telling you to calm down and stop blaming a friend for stealing your car and you’re just mad cuz he’s driving drunk without you

Vagabundo posted:

My family isn’t even catholic but I remember seeing the snl thing and being like “heh what a cuh razy lady! Why would you do that?”

She was right and they deserved so much worse

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why did I read all those words? Jesus Christ

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I can't wait for all the "well I didn't know/I didn't experience any of that" backpedalling from celebrities that celebrated him after all this poo poo was known but not brought into the public until now.

Or better yet, I can't wait to see which celebrity will double down in support for Allen after this documentary. Maybe Whoopi Goldberg can have that honor again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I can't wait for all the "well I didn't know/I didn't experience any of that" backpedalling from celebrities that celebrated him after all this poo poo was known but not brought into the public until now.

Or better yet, I can't wait to see which celebrity will double down in support for Allen after this documentary. Maybe Whoopi Goldberg can have that honor again.

Seriously. gently caress her.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/sep/29/roman-polanski-whoopi-goldberg

Polanski didn't "rape-rape" Sam Geimer. What the poo poo do you mean, Guinan? He only loving drugged her and then had his freaky way with her. What the gently caress other kind of rape is there!?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
whoopi goldberg deserved theodore rex

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

whoopi goldberg deserved theodore rex

Theodore Rex deserved better than her.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously. gently caress her.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/sep/29/roman-polanski-whoopi-goldberg

Polanski didn't "rape-rape" Sam Geimer. What the poo poo do you mean, Guinan? He only loving drugged her and then had his freaky way with her. What the gently caress other kind of rape is there!?

for some people, its only rape when its physically violent :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

A lot of this came out when Dylan wrote an op-ed a few years ago, too (the attic thing has been seared into my brain ever since), which makes me wonder if we'll just be going around on this until Allen dies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

for some people, its only rape when its physically violent :(

and also if the man is unattractive.

there's no end to the amount of handwaving people will go for when the accused is their buddy or friend.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a35460385/fka-twigs-shia-la-beouf-abuse/

FKA Twigs talking about Shia.

quote:

. As she alleges in the complaint, after drifting off to sleep in the hotel, the singer awoke to find LaBeouf atop her, violently squeezing her arms. Putting his hands around her neck and beginning to strangle her, he whispered, “If you don’t stop, you are going to lose me.” The next morning, she claims, the abuse continued when LaBeouf threw her to the ground outside their hotel. Once inside his car and headed back to LaBeouf’s Los Angeles home, she says the actor began driving maniacally, demanding that twigs profess her love for him. As he swerved into traffic at an alarming speed, with cars beeping around them, twigs recalls bracing for the impact of the imminent crash. “I was thinking to myself, ‘I wonder what would happen to my body...if [we] smashed into a wall at 80 miles per hour?’ I was looking for the airbag and I couldn’t see the airbag sign, so I was thinking, ‘If he doesn’t have an airbag, will this car crush my sternum?’

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I can’t wait for the usual suspects to come out with “look, the Sun-Yi stuff is a little odd but he was never a father figure and nothing happened until she was 18”, which has always struck me as the most backhanded defense. Those are likely the people who will continue down the “Mia implanted this in their heads” path

I’m curious if we’ll hear from Moses at all, he’s the one who has stuck by Woody’s side after the rest of the family cut ties and believes that he didn’t do anything to Dylan.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even before the really bad poo poo came out Woody Allen marrying Soon-Yi shoulda made him persona non grata.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even before the really bad poo poo came out Woody Allen marrying Soon-Yi shoulda made him persona non grata.

Prince literally adopted his wife as a child and then married her. If you are viewed as a gatekeeper in your industry, especially in an industry like entertainment, then nothing sticks to you. Jerry Seinfield was photographed in international newspapers picking up a child from school so he could take her on a date in a $150,000 sports car, he’s still viewed as a GOAT tier comedian and as a result you can’t really say poo poo about it because he knows everybody and everybody listens to him.

I can only imagine what kind of opportunities Woody Allen could hold over your head, there’s absolutely no mystery here.

It’s just weird because it’s like... the dude has made his entire career out of extremely pathos driven sexually charged films that really highlight a perverted and neurotic take on sexuality... it’s not a particularly hard reach to connect the dots... he’s just too powerful and elite for it to matter.

We’re probably gonna go through the same poo poo with Whedon unless a big studio makes a big stink about firing him and not working with him anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hasn't Whedon already been fired from his position on the new extremely Whedon show? It's probably more of an issue when your target demographic are primarily the people who are going to make the biggest stink about having a known sexual predator on staff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hasn't Whedon already been fired from his position on the new extremely Whedon show? It's probably more of an issue when your target demographic are primarily the people who are going to make the biggest stink about having a known sexual predator on staff.

yeah but we still live in Superhero movie world, and Superhero movies make the most money, and Joss Whedon wrote all the superhero movies that made the most money...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Whedon won't touch another superhero film and all his movies sucked anyways,

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah but we still live in Superhero movie world, and Superhero movies make the most money, and Joss Whedon wrote all the superhero movies that made the most money...

Marvel knows they don’t need any particular behind camera talents and his DC movie was a legendary bomb. He hasn’t had a successful show in like 20 years. He’s hosed

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Whedon was basically soft-fired from the MCU after Age of Ultron, which received pretty strong backlash for trademark Whedonisms. He was hired to salvage Justice League under unusual circumstances and turned in a disaster, and frankly if his career were going well he wouldn't be doing TV.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Barring an insanely expensive drug habit we don't know about, Whedon will probably be rich forever, but I doubt he's gonna work on anything in Hollywood again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Barring an insanely expensive drug habit we don't know about, Whedon will probably be rich forever, but I doubt he's gonna work on anything in Hollywood again.

Depends whether his behaviour starts attracting expensive lawsuits, I guess. Not like he seems like the sort of guy who's likely to improve meaningfully.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends whether his behaviour starts attracting expensive lawsuits, I guess. Not like he seems like the sort of guy who's likely to improve meaningfully.

HBO put his newest series in the can and then fired him and if it's popular enough for a second season it will almost certainly have a different show runner.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Joss Whedon might be wealthy and influential but he's still just a creative, and that seems like an increasingly redundant and fungible position given the way the kind of movies he used to make, are made.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seem to recall Whedon's wife getting a pretty favorable divorce settlement so he might not actually be "rich" in the sense that he used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

He might be able to do small budget stuff like Much Ado about Nothing