Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

what level of lying is acceptable when dealing with warranty claims?

The answer is all levels, especially when it comes to apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This isn't even lying. Attempted to run diagnostics. Computer started emitting loud tone and turned off. Diagnostics failed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How many more LACP groups will I find today that are mis-matched?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
God is punishing you for not ECMPing

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

like right now Dell wants me to have a user run a startup diagnostic on a computer that keeps shutting itself off with no warning and then emits a loud shrieking beep until you unplug it. the BIOS is already up to date and everything. I know they have to go through their checklist but FFS just send us a tech with some new parts at this point.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

How many more LACP groups will I find today that are mis-matched?

Doesn't lacp prevent that? I thought part of it was bundle identification.

Edit: oh like load balancing algo? All of them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're suppose to get a $250 bonus if someone gets hired and they say you recommended them. After 90 days or so. I got my bonus, it was $157.40 after taxes. WTF taxes are they taking out, what a con. Free money for sure, but still. :argh:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

like right now Dell wants me to have a user run a startup diagnostic on a computer that keeps shutting itself off with no warning and then emits a loud shrieking beep until you unplug it. the BIOS is already up to date and everything. I know they have to go through their checklist but FFS just send us a tech with some new parts at this point.

I had Lenovo do this to me...

Had a Tiny system that just up and died completely and would do nothing. Wouldn't turn on. The "tech" I got stuck to their script and went through several things to have me try.. in Windows. I had to repeat "it won't turn on" about 10 times. Which was met with "well let's try this instead". :doh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We're suppose to get a $250 bonus if someone gets hired and they say you recommended them. After 90 days or so. I got my bonus, it was $157.40 after taxes. WTF taxes are they taking out, what a con. Free money for sure, but still. :argh:

Bonuses are withheld at a different rate, which you will reconcile with your tax returns. ~37% doesn't sound unreasonable.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KillHour posted:

Bonuses are withheld at a different rate, which you will reconcile with your tax returns. ~37% doesn't sound unreasonable.

250 bucks is a loving scam too. We're getting 5000.

A recruiter would get a poo poo load more than that, don't forget it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the general sentiment regarding responsibly? It's freaking wild :psyduck: to be to see Texas politicians blame renewables or even the Green New Deal which doesn't exist beyond theoretical policy.

It's loving ERCOT's fault for not being prepared adequately. The winterization steps they thought would be enough, weren't.
I saw the bullshit from Fox NEws and our own idiot governor blaming green energy. ERCOT itself says it's more the control systems of *all* the power plants freezing up (because everything is outside...) and problems with natural gas supply (gas pressure is much lower than usual in the cold, go figure,) though some of the wind turbines did freeze up because they weren't really expected to experience this sort of weather, just like all the other systems, actually.

Sickening posted:

Our richest neighborhoods haven’t gone without power. Our poorest have gone without it the most. This is both trying to deflect the blame from a very angry voter base and trying to help big energy donors.

So much this. There were maybe a couple cycles of the "rolling" outages, and then it became just an "outage" for a lot of us. Someone posted a picture an ABC reporter took of downtown Houston skyscrapers lit the gently caress up, while everything surrounding was dark. Same poo poo in Dallas. Driving to my mother-in-laws, we passed quite a few car dealers and office buildings that were blazing with light (and presumably heat) and it rankled me something fierce.

Another fun detail: I'm hearing that most of the board of ERCOT isn't even in TX, though I have not confirmed that.

We really need to give up on the independant grid thing. We could have gotten some help from the rest of the US.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Thermal generation (gas, coal, nukes) are short 30 GW from forecast. Wind is short 1 GW.

These problems were known after the 2011 cold snap; and they did nothing.

Not to mention that we come up short literally every summer, too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well it took nearly a whole year (although to be fair I wasn't really looking for a good chunk of 2020 while I did freelance baseball writing) but :yotj: and my title is actually SysAdmin now!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeoh posted:

This is true.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I get referral bonuses from $4-10k but I’d also take $250 in place of $0.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

i am a moron posted:

I get referral bonuses from $4-10k but I’d also take $250 in place of $0.

Same, and getting someone hired who you think is competent and fun to work with is its own reward over a rando who might be poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

H110Hawk posted:

Doesn't lacp prevent that? I thought part of it was bundle identification.

Yea, sorta. The switch is smart enough to disable the port that's "wrong"

Port 3 on both switch 1+2 should both be in the lag/lacp going to switch 3
Port 4 on both switch 1+2 should both be in the lag/lacp going to switch 4
Port 5 on both switch 1+2 should both be in the lag/lacp going to switch 5

But like 3/4 were flipped. So it's never worked. Each group for 3 and 4 only had 1 active port

The rest of them aren't so simple. Not sure if the fiber isn't patched in or if it's broken somewhere? Gives me something to do for the afternoon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Darchangel posted:

We really need to give up on the independant grid thing. We could have gotten some help from the rest of the US.

Maybe from the west, but the next grid to the east (MISO, runs from midCanada down to Louisiana and a little of SE Texas) also had to institute some rolling blackouts last night.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Well it took nearly a whole year (although to be fair I wasn't really looking for a good chunk of 2020 while I did freelance baseball writing) but :yotj: and my title is actually SysAdmin now!

That's awesome. Congrats!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jeoh posted:

We have a dedicated recruiter on staff too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Inspector_666 posted:

Congrats dude! I do enjoy your baseball writing :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can maybe understand running an independent grid, but why aren't there a ton of DC interconnectors available?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can maybe understand running an independent grid, but why aren't there a ton of DC interconnectors available?

Because that makes it no longer independent I imagine.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I know nothing about electrical engineering or electrical utilities, my thing is water and water treatment utilities, but if what ever you're talking about isn't required for the system to run nominally, then there wasn't budget.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thanks Ants posted:

For a long time it was isolated to avoid fed regulation.

There’s ~1 GW interconnects to East iirc. There was a 30 GW e/w/tx interconnect planned to move renewable generation output around but that’s largely vaporware also stymied by trump’s energy policy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

KillHour posted:

I think bonuses are taxed at capital gains rate, which iirc is your highest marginal rate (i.e. the top bracket you fall into).

I could be wildly mistaken but that's what my hazy brain is bringing up.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is this where I go to ask about recommendations for a DM system? Document management that is. It's hard to get a handle on it on my own from all the options out there. Looking for something suitable for a small company, ideally what it needs to do is handle office documents and automate version control.

Also as important some kind of feature to compile PDFs from several different documents, and then to be able to save this "job" for re-use later, and ideally for the version control to be able to say that "hey file W has been updated, this file is used in compilations X,Y and Z as well, update them too?".

If you use O365 sharepoint can do some of this, disclaimer that sharepoint can be a bitch but cloud sharepoint is better than admining on prem sharepoint. Though I'm sure others know if a 3rd party that can do all/most.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I love getting a user e-mail with the subject "THIS IS A DISASTER!!!". A user was prepping a laptop for shipment to me and wanted to remove all confidential data on there, which is fine. This data is on a Google Drive folder, so I instructed them to make an external backup, verify the files, then delete the data off the old laptop. I then got the panicked e-mail followed by a phone call because data on the other computer they were using was deleted and they wanted to know why "the thing I told them to do" caused them to lose all their data.

Of course this was an easy fix by just restoring the files from Trash in Google Drive, but I simply could not explain to them that they had two PCs linked to the same Google Drive and that's what caused the deletion. Which is also why I had instructed them to make a backup just in case something like this happened.

"I feel like you're not taking this seriously at all!!!". Oh, I'm taking it seriously, it's just that we made a contingency for this situation. No reason to panic.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
To be fair if I was a dumbass user and I got that set of instructions I would have done exactly the same thing. Plus or minus the panic anyways.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that all is pretty much asking for trouble.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Can you not unlink the computer before deleting the data?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well, I was under the impression that they had unlinked the Google Drive folder after the backup was complete and was just removing the documents after the unlink was complete. I suppose I should have been more clear about that when discussing the prep work with them. Normally I would have handled this myself, but they are working remotely from the west coast so all I could do was give them instructions on what to do. I did stress to make sure they had a backup before doing anything else.

I guess the thing that bothered me that it took me 30 minutes to calm them down after getting the data restored.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When that happens I like to tell people that their data is gone forever, give their heart a few seconds to explode before coming in with the “actually, it’s fine”

Got to set expectations

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would really rather not agitate my users. Especially users who have a tendency to be difficult to deal with and high strung. I usually get assigned problem users because my demeanor generally gets a good reaction from them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vargatron posted:

I would really rather not agitate my users. Especially users who have a tendency to be difficult to deal with and high strung. I usually get assigned problem users because my demeanor generally gets a good reaction from them.

Oh hey what's up problem user buddy, I've been thrown like 5 clients in the last month that are pissed off because of the previous engineer they had, whom was fired.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I got thrown into a super hosed up seven figure project my first week if it makes you feel any better. Never seen a client and service provider father apart on a project before - one of their engineers went in and hosed some stuff up this afternoon without mentioning they were doing anything. Lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just had a 45 meeting with network engineers on why branding “or lack there of” isn’t a major security risk on its own. This combined with my power going out constantly has led me to early afternoon drinking.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

I just had a 45 meeting with network engineers on why branding “or lack there of” isn’t a major security risk on its own. This combined with my power going out constantly has led me to early afternoon drinking.

The devices in the rack that are in GREEN chassis have never been hacked, therefore...

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The Fool posted:

When that happens I like to tell people that their data is gone forever, give their heart a few seconds to explode before coming in with the “actually, it’s fine”

Got to set expectations
what sort of expectation is that even setting?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

angry armadillo posted:

what sort of expectation is that even setting?

That we're assholes here to make their lives miserable.

It's surprisingly accurate.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

If you’re not modeling your behavior on Nick Burns and BOFH and the it crowd losers are you even really in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

If you’re not modeling your behavior on Nick Burns and BOFH and the it crowd losers are you even really in it?

I work from home, but every time my wife asks for help with O365, I lean over from behind and breathe loudly while staring down her shirt. Gotta keep the craft alive.