Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

It's a show I slept on for way too long, but, yeah, it's not the most accessible thing ever made and I can see why pretty much no one watched it while it was on the air.

Still glad it exists, though.

You can’t truly see why no one watched it if you haven’t seen how terrible the ads were.

Such a good show, though, definitely one of my all time favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There needs to be more unlicensed PI shows

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

This isn’t the thread title anymore but THEY DID IT

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1362099496679800834?s=21

Thank goodness!

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Simone Magus posted:

Rewatching Lost for the first time since it aired and holy poo poo this show was so good (until certain aspects of the last few episodes, mainly involving a Falcon Punch)

"Because you're in the wheelchair... and I'm not"

So good

I'm glad you're enjoying it, because it just felt super shallow to me on rewatch. Having the mystery of ~what happens next~ removed made me realize all of the characters are extremely flat and spend most episodes literally running in circles for no reason.

Sawyer is great, though.

Ccs posted:

I'm finally getting around to His Dark Materials Season 2. Surprised there wasn't a thread about it.

Anyway it continues to be a good adaption of the books, and all the child characters are good actors. The only performance I don't buy is Lin Manuel Miranda's. He's hilariously miscast in his role as a scruffy aeronaut.

It's a really good show, I liked it a lot! It'll get a thread for season 3, by jove!

LMM was a huge wet fart that brought the whole thing down, however. I generally enjoy him, but someone compared his acting in this to a high school theater kid and I can't unsee that.

Speaking of things I can't unsee/think, I recently realized that Pit Bull is Slurms MacKenzie. Just been thinking about that for the last day...

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

hello TV IV I am wondering how there is no Real Housewives thread?! every lgbtq I know including myself watches at least a couple RH locations! New Jersey just had a dynamite opening, SLC is wrapping up an amazing first season, Potomac is running away with hearts and minds, OC is running towards a reboot... there’s so much to talk about!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

QUEER FRASIER posted:

hello TV IV I am wondering how there is no Real Housewives thread?! every lgbtq I know including myself watches at least a couple RH locations! New Jersey just had a dynamite opening, SLC is wrapping up an amazing first season, Potomac is running away with hearts and minds, OC is running towards a reboot... there’s so much to talk about!

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Edit: :)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

QUEER FRASIER posted:

:justpost:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
So did anyone in here watch the trainwreck that Your Honor became? It started off fairly strong but by episode 4 or so you could tell they were just adding subplot upon subplot as an excuse to distract you from poor writing and/or characterization. Cranston was unsurprisingly strong with not a lot to work with and a few other performances were good but it became very cartoonish towards the end

It became increasingly clear they were angling for a 2nd season that they didn't get (I assume) and the final episode just fully discarded numerous characters and plots with no resolution. The cliffhanger in the 2nd to last episode was Adam going to meet the Baxters but it was was never shown or mentioned and then they hilariously had Adam meet them again maybe (??) in the finale. Then Jimmy Baxter told Cranston to come to the hotel but didn't let him in and assumed he would watch through a window because (??) And Cranston's wife was cheating on him with a gang member they introduced in the 2nd to last episode because it ultimate led to, not sure what (??) And there was an extremely half-assed pandemic subplot where one person wore a mask but plot important characters wandered into secure coutrooms (??)

It was not worth watching but I'm also so entertained by how off the rails it went that I don't mind

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Davros1 posted:

If you were/are a fan of "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast", comedian Dana Gould has launched a new Youtube series with nearly identical premise (it's live action, not animated).

"Hanging with Dr. Z", a talk show hosted by Dr. Zaius. Yes, from the Planet of the Apes series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Su8UP94Qac

First week's guest: Steven Weber.

lol hell yea

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

el oso posted:

So did anyone in here watch the trainwreck that Your Honor became?

That's a real shame.

Speaking of ex-Breaking Bad. That new Bob Odenkirk thriller typ thing is a movie and not a show yeah? Is that out yet?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Looten Plunder posted:

That's a real shame.

Speaking of ex-Breaking Bad. That new Bob Odenkirk thriller typ thing is a movie and not a show yeah? Is that out yet?

Yeah it's a movie and it's suppose to come out sometime in April.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I fell off Your Honor after ep 7 and then read a review of the finale and was very fine not finishing after that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hate to have hope for this being good *tugs on braids*

https://io9.gizmodo.com/new-wheel-of-time-tv-series-footage-is-looking-sharp-1846291138

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was thinking today about how I get annoyed when a show I've been liking gets retooled halfway through its first season/between first and second. So I was wondering, has there been a show where being retooled actually made it better? The examples I can think of are all worse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cougar Town got massively retooled mid first season from a weird show about middle aged women having sex with younger men to a bunch of middle aged friends. That was most definitely a change for the positive.

Agents of Shield was a very by the numbers procedural before it flipped into a much more plot driven thing mid season. But that seemed by design.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

I was thinking today about how I get annoyed when a show I've been liking gets retooled halfway through its first season/between first and second. So I was wondering, has there been a show where being retooled actually made it better? The examples I can think of are all worse.

Parks and Rec is the obvious one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Parks & Rec?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

To a lesser extent The Office where after the first season the 40 Year Old Virgin came out, and they completely redid Michael Scott to be more like Carrell's movie role and less like the more rear end in a top hat original version of Michael.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Star Trek: TNG would be a contender.

Also Stargate SG1.

What are all of the shows where people go "oh just get through the first 15 episodes and it gets really good!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Season 1 of Babylon 5 can be pretty rough.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SG1 didn't get retooled, the closest you could call that would be the cast changes years in. Also it was perfect from the jump, so I'm confused.

Atlantis you could say that about since they changed one of the leads. Universe would be the best Stargate show to fit in here.

Wait, are you counting the original movie? I don't think i would, but I guess that could be a retooling.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I'd like to think "they had it planned all along" but surely there were actual decisions to retool The Leftovers after season 1.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pretty sure they made decisions. I remember Damon Lindelof even talked about the intro and how pretty much everyone on the team didn't like it except for him so he decided to switch it up.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Surely you don't introduce an entirely new family and sideline some of the ones you've established over the course of the whole first season by design.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

SG1 didn't get retooled, the closest you could call that would be the cast changes years in. Also it was perfect from the jump, so I'm confused.

Atlantis you could say that about since they changed one of the leads. Universe would be the best Stargate show to fit in here.

Wait, are you counting the original movie? I don't think i would, but I guess that could be a retooling.

Atlantis pre-Jason Momoa is practically a different show.

They tried so hard to make Lt Ford a thing for an entire season before giving up and just making a Teal'c like character.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Always Sunny?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Always Sunny?

They added a character but I wouldn’t really call it retooling.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

IRQ posted:

I think the change in networks was pretty significant for SG1. :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stargate ran on Showtime for like 4 years and I don't recall any major changes for the first 8 seasons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

Stargate ran on Showtime for like 4 years and I don't recall any major changes for the first 8 seasons.

:fry:

Oh wow...I misremembered it only being the first season! Bananas!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe Hannibal? Going from something more procedural to something more focused on the books.

Downside is that it made the focus on Red Dragon at the end kinda weird when their treating a guy with a pretty minor body count as this serious threat, considering season 1 had "tree made out of human bodies" and "giant eyeball made out of human bodies".

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:fry:

Oh wow...I misremembered it only being the first season! Bananas!

Yeah there's a bit of shift from the pilot to the rest of the show (full frontal, I think a focus on language being a serious barrier) but I'd have a hard time seeing a difference from when it went to syfy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In case anyone was curious, Young Rock was garbage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Did you see Kenan too? If so, how was it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Resident Alien really needs to tone down the kid storyline. It ain't carrying the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

Whole thing should’ve been the 80s stuff in Hawaii with all the old school wrestlers. Somehow the parts with Actual Rock and Randall Park were the worst.

I originally didn’t care about it, then got slightly hyped because of Nahnatchka Khan, but now kinda in between those feelings.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just thinking about TVIV’s second favourite show of 2015

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/cbb2b6a2-f27e-4047-af3a-db83bbde9d3c

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you see Kenan too? If so, how was it?

I did not.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whole thing should’ve been the 80s stuff in Hawaii with all the old school wrestlers. Somehow the parts with Actual Rock and Randall Park were the worst.

I originally didn’t care about it, then got slightly hyped because of Nahnatchka Khan, but now kinda in between those feelings.

I'm extremely mad at Park for being part of it.
It's so bad that if the Rock runs for Prez for real people will be like "but remember that show?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Want to see young rock body slam young Sheldon