Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
All it needs is: kickass soundtrack + good fighting choreography + going full camp with the story
... and it'll be glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The cast seems extremely good so I can't imagine this being all that bad

Being young, dumb, stoned and seeing the first one in the theater was a hell of a good time

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s a shot in that trailer where the MK symbol is backwards, but in every other one it’s the the right way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kortal Mombat????

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s a shot in that trailer where the MK symbol is backwards, but in every other one it’s the the right way.

Noob Saibot konfirmed

alternatively:

mottob fo eht tip

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

As of right now this movie still has a release date scheduled for January 2021, aka literally 2 months from now, and not only have we not seen a single still I don’t think there’s even an official logo yet. WB has been really keeping their cards close to their chest re: their theatrical schedule considering WW1984 is still scheduled for a full theatrical at Christmas and lord knows that isn’t happening. I bet we see something by the end of this month, most likely a date for HBO Max in the spring, but who knows. Godzilla/Kong is getting the same silent treatment, but that has at least had some leaks, they’ve kept this whole ship under wraps. Then again maybe 12 hours from now when MK11 Ultimate launches they’ll have a little bonus reveal for us.

Also I can’t believe it’s been a decade since MK:Rebirth! I was so hyped up when that dropped and no one knew what the gently caress it was, I downloaded it in 1080p so I could watch it on my TV over and over. MK was basically dead given that Midway was gone, MKDC was weird and disappointing, and no one really knew what was coming next given how stagnant the franchise had become. I think fans knew something was up and this came out at the exact right time to capitalize on that, even with the dramatic change in tone. WB had to come out and say this wasn’t one of theirs and it had nothing to do with what they were working on, but within a month they had announced MK9 and flash forward 10 years and here we are; MK is arguably just as big now as it was at its 90s peak. MK11 has sold over 8 million copies and is about to launch on next-gen consoles (and is not making people pay for the upgrade, presumably because people who have dropped over $100 buying the game and DLC at launch wouldn’t be happy if they had to), an animated movie came out earlier this year and another live-action movie is on the way. Feels like 1995 all over again.

https://youtu.be/XGnVhqhmip8

The interesting thing about this short is how different it is from pretty much all of MK. The series has never shied away from the mystical and I think the realism felt fresh, but could a full fighting game really have sustained this tone? Or even just a movie? Looking back I think the return to the roots that was MK9 was the right direction did the series to go, it was certainly the wheelhouse for the team working on it and it didn’t mean they couldn’t do new and interesting things. And honestly based on the little we’ve heard about this new movie, I think it’s going to end up splitting the difference. I don’t think we’re gonna see Plastic Surgeon Baraja or Gross Harlequin Reptile but it’s also not going to be as close an adaptation as the original MK movie was, which was incredibly faithful except for the lack of blood ‘n guts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That really looks like from the era, maybe pre-MCU, when adaptations of video games in particular were still super embarrassed of the source material and tried to just turn them into bog standard action movies with vague, bedgrudging resemblance to the games.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1338622039192694784

still haven't even seen a still yet, but now we're back to 4 months out

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Folks,

https://twitter.com/bradfhenderson/status/1350109677737156608?s=21

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those look good, but it's high loving time to see something in motion.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
someday we ll have a MK and SF cross over.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
*Slams fist on table*

Where the gently caress is Goro? :colbert::colbert:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

*Slams fist on table*

Where the gently caress is Goro? :colbert::colbert:

you're welcome

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Poor Goro, thought of being a playable character and died.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Poor Goro, thought of being a playable character and died.

If you had four arms wouldn't you jack yourself to death as well?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Vakal posted:

If you had four arms wouldn't you jack yourself to death as well?

You'd have thought he would have anticipated such a thing happening, I mean to be forearmed is to be forewarned.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/mkmovie/status/1362432505236783105?s=21

It’s gonna be a long 2 months waiting for this one

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Looks way better than Annihilation, and that most recent terrible Street Fighter movie. But it seems to be missing a bit of the campy fun of the first movie. Probably just a lack of Linden Ashby making dumb one liners.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This is gonna be so stupid, I can't wait to watch it :hawaaaafap:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It does seem to be taking itself a little bit too seriously judging from the trailer but who knows, might be good.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
W-why not turn this OC into Johnny Cage? Is Johnny Cage going to be his psuedonym after he quits the mma and gets a small role in a Marvel movie?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

The Rat posted:

really? my immediate impression is that it clearly isn't stupid enough

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sub Zero looks fuckin sick

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Firstborn posted:

W-why not turn this OC into Johnny Cage? Is Johnny Cage going to be his psuedonym after he quits the mma and gets a small role in a Marvel movie?
It's possible, given we saw a lot of characters but didn't see Johnny Cage... or did we?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Rat posted:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Hell yeah give me a a gory martial arts action movie. loving hyped for this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"So Cole, what are you gonna do now that you have won the Mortal Kombat and saved earthrealm?"
"I thought maybe I go back to acting using my real name: Johnny Cage."

Cue themesong, roll credits

e: this themesong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibx2MfBjKA

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 18, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
(Spielberg* appears from the left frame in shadow)
"I'm putting a team together. . ."
(throws down the script for Ninja Mime)

* please remember that canonically Johnny Cage was in a Spielberg movie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I thought Tan was gonna be playing Cage too when they didn’t announce his role but I’ve read a pretty compelling theory that Cole Young is actually Kuai Liang, the second, good guy Sub-Zero and brother of Bi Han, who is the Sub Zero in this movie who is bad and eventually becomes Noob Saibot.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Man I'm just excited that my boy Kung Lao's in this one.

DC Murderverse posted:

I thought Tan was gonna be playing Cage too when they didn’t announce his role but I’ve read a pretty compelling theory that Cole Young is actually Kuai Liang, the second, good guy Sub-Zero and brother of Bi Han, who is the Sub Zero in this movie who is bad and eventually becomes Noob Saibot.

It does look like Sub Zero's going to be a primary antagonist, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of second act reveal.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I keep thinking characters in MK Annihilation had dragon tattoos that let them travel between realms, and when they died, the tattoos came alive and crawled out of them. Or am I mixing this up with an entirely different movie?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

davidspackage posted:

I keep thinking characters in MK Annihilation had dragon tattoos that let them travel between realms, and when they died, the tattoos came alive and crawled out of them. Or am I mixing this up with an entirely different movie?

No, the dragon tattoo thing is from the second movie. I don't remember it being why they could travel between realms, but I definitely remember a scene where a dragon tattoo kind of flies off of someone who was defeated, rolls into a little ball and disappears.

EDIT: It also leads to of my favorite stupid line deliveries from the movie that nobody seems to remember. but when we watched it made me laugh for like a full minute "Wait a minute! I've seen that tattoo before! On a robot AND a woman. They both tried to kill me".

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 18, 2021

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is one of the worst movies ever made.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

davidspackage posted:

You are thinking of the Mortal Kombat ripoff, Tattoo Assassins.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

DC Murderverse posted:

No techno.

Movie trash.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Wow, shocking to see the female erasure in this trailer. Where the hell is the most recognizable member of the Mortal Kombat franchise, Chun Li?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Well when you add in Chun-Li you gotta add in Chris Klein too, and he doesn’t come cheap.

Edit: honestly just more room in the second movie for all our other favorite Mortal Kombatants. Johnny Cage, Chun-Li, Terry Bogard, Morrigan, Voldo, that self-aware panda bear and Marth!

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 19, 2021

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr. Neutron posted:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is one of the worst movies ever made.

Tied with Wing Commander honestly.

Trailer looks good. April can't come soon enough.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They should put Chun Li in the movie anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

They should put Chun Li in the movie anyway

also The Joker