Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gavok posted:

For the record, the actual worst Wrestlemania is probably WM27. The one main-evented by WWE Champion the Miz.

I have despised the Miz since he was on Real World, douching it up and PRETENDING to be the Miz. I have no idea how he became popular, as he has no charm whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Growing up in the early 90s I heard that the original Ultimate Warrior died from a drug overdose and was replaced by his son and I still thought that was true right up until.. um.. a couple days ago.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Me and my wife and some of our relatives went to a local luchadore thing mostly as a bit. It was in a big gymnasium that was in very poor repair. They had a wrestler named "The American" and his gimmick was that he's kind of fat. He'd always struggle climbing the ropes and exaggeratedly wobble as he got ready to jump off onto his opponent. He'd randomly just start chanting USA USA USA in the middle of the fight and then become winded. It was pretty entertaining, more so than I was expecting.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

The OSW Review episodes are always fun if you want to go back and watch the old late-80s/early-90s shows but also don't entirely want to take most of the shlock seriously and instead have drunken Irishmen doing bits on top of it
doink, brah

you're making kids cry, brah

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The Miz works as a heel because you love to hate on him. However, he probably worked best when he still had Damien Sandow as his bodyguard.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have despised the Miz since he was on Real World, douching it up and PRETENDING to be the Miz. I have no idea how he became popular, as he has no charm whatsoever.
he's great when he's with his wife for some reason, and pretty bad the rest of the time, I don't know why
she doesn't exactly carry him, she just seems to bring out the best in him

he got a pretty entertaining heel Johnny Cage gimmick where he calls himself "The A-Lister" and calls him and his wife "the It couple" based on the fact that WWE keeps putting him in lovely direct to dvd sequels to The Marine (a job he only got because Randy Orton was fired because the actual marines were pissed because irl Orton had enlisted and was court marshaled and dishonorably discharged )

and he does hilarious stuff like tell the audience "when my hand goes up your mouth goes shut", and steal Daniel Bryan's moves and claim to be his mentor (which is technically true in that wwe's lovely reality tv show once assigned a still very green Miz as "veteran" to "rookie" Daniel Bryan who'd been tearing poo poo up around the world for over a decade and was widely regarded the best technical wrestler in the world)

basically he's good at taking "you hate him" and turning it into "you love to hate him"
it helps that he just looks like an upper-class frat boy psychopath

also he is genuinely one of the only guys who can keep one of wwe's largely irrelevant mid-card belts interesting, because he treats the IC title like it's the greatest accomplishment in the world when he has it and will desperately scratch and claw tooth and nail to hold onto it
he kinda brings the same energy to it that Ric Flair used to have, where he absolutely does not want to fight you, but once you manage to back him into a corner, you still have to beat him

he's also good at every part of being a wwe wrestler other than wreslting. he's a "company man", good for talk shows, media tours, charities- he puts the effort in

Cubone fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 18, 2021

Cubone
May 26, 2011

vaginite posted:

Me and my wife and some of our relatives went to a local luchadore thing mostly as a bit. It was in a big gymnasium that was in very poor repair. They had a wrestler named "The American" and his gimmick was that he's kind of fat. He'd always struggle climbing the ropes and exaggeratedly wobble as he got ready to jump off onto his opponent. He'd randomly just start chanting USA USA USA in the middle of the fight and then become winded. It was pretty entertaining, more so than I was expecting.

that owns

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

didn't the miz on The Real World say that he thought black people were inherently dangerous or something

Cubone
May 26, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

didn't the miz on The Real World say that he thought black people were inherently dangerous or something
well poo poo, I hope not, I just spent like 5 paragraphs posting about why he's fun to watch

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Cubone posted:

well poo poo, I hope not, I just spent like 5 paragraphs posting about why he's fun to watch

"During Smith's season on The Real World, which aired in 2001, she came into conflict with Mike Mizanin over views he related to Smith from his uncle, who opined that black people were slow and uneducated. Although Mizanin attempted to disown the comments as merely those of his uncle, Smith and their other housemate, Malik Cooper, who are both black, were offended. Coral and the other housemates went on to teach Mizanin about black culture, such as the life of Malcolm X."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

Coral and the other housemates went on to teach Mizanin about black culture, such as the life of Malcolm X."

well, at least it was a teaching moment

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

"During Smith's season on The Real World, which aired in 2001, she came into conflict with Mike Mizanin over views he related to Smith from his uncle, who opined that black people were slow and uneducated. Although Mizanin attempted to disown the comments as merely those of his uncle, Smith and their other housemate, Malik Cooper, who are both black, were offended. Coral and the other housemates went on to teach Mizanin about black culture, such as the life of Malcolm X."

Mods, before you get mad at me for all the racist stuff I’m posting, please know that I am just relating what I heard from my uncle.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

*extremely Razor Ramon voice*

ayo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Admittedly I haven't seen most of what you're talking about (I didn't even know he was married), which is probably why he hasn't crossed over from "hateable" to "fun to hate" for me. His shtick does sound amusing though.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I loved Coral, and I thought she was right to hate him. At least she & Malik had patience with him and taught him stuff, but even after he was reformed, he still seemed like a douche.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Raw Report March 8, 1993

Mega-Maniacs open with a promo. I gotta give their name credit. They sound like literal maniacs. Just a barrage of nonsense.

Ooh, Macho Man is looking super bad-rear end in black and white tonight.

Virgil and Matador vs Money Inc.
Ted DiBiase looks like someone's dad but IRS is legit frightening to me in some deep down way I can't explain. Something about a giant angry man fighting in business wear is just a primal warning, like a bright blue frog or pink caterpillar.
"How come Irwin wears a tie and Ted doesn't even wear a shirt?" lol
Good fight, but the safe money was always on IRS.

Rick Martell steals a ring girl's job

Watch WWF Mania, Saturdays at 10am, kiddos

Wikipedia claims Tatanka is actually a Native American which is a bit helpful to know when watching him hoot, dance, and chop in the ring. I mean, it's still not great representation, but at least he ain't Iron-Eyes Cody. Also, Phil Apollo was hooted, danced, and chopped into small bits.

Brett Hart does a promo about fighting Yokozuna and doesn't use any Japanese slurs or stereotypes so good job clearing a low bar for the WWF.

Speaking of not being racist, here comes Papa Shango, so never mind. I ignored the match and did a load of dishes.

I still don't know what Ico Pro is and I refuse to look it up.

Bob Backlund is 43 going on 12. He looks like a literal child.
"Shake his hand, ya pant-load" :D

I could not give less of a poo poo about Rick Martell. Even as a heel he's so dull and one-note. But at least he can sell a hit.

Watching Raw in HD on a 65" OLED let's you appreciate the subtle details of wrestling. Like Mr. Perfect's blond chest hair.

Mr. Perfect wins against Martell via commercial break.

Solid episode.

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 18, 2021

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I'm adding more photos but I have a rule where I can only take one attempt at any given screen grab and I have to use whatever I get.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

speaking of the miz and black people, xavier woods has a gaming youtube channel, and the miz keeps challenging him to street fighter

when you win a wwe championship, they give you a replica to keep as a trophy, and the miz has accumulated quite a few
across several years, woods keeps provoking miz into putting more of them on the line, winner-takes-all, and woods is an esports guy and basically dances circles around him
miz keeps kayfabe but you can tell he starts getting genuinely upset, especially after woods wins miz's wife's divas championship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPqM8aDQ4pY&t=585s
(9:45)

also a good introduction to how delightful xavier woods is

first two in the series:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=w76oruSg8Yk (try to ignore sandow's terrible rap gimmick, he was going through some stuff)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=NcSYF1LYd1U

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Papa Shango went of to be The Godfather, right? The guy who would come into the rings with about 8 local strippers?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bonzo posted:

Papa Shango went of to be The Godfather, right? The guy who would come into the rings with about 8 local strippers?
Yup.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Bonzo posted:

Excuse me sir, that's the HO TRAIN!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Papa Shango was not the only racist caricature that wrestler wrestled as, behold, The Godfather:

E: beat pretty good but mine has a picture.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Chief McHeath posted:

Papa Shango was not the only racist caricature that wrestler wrestled as, behold, The Godfather:
Let's not forget his stint as "Kama" who stole The Undertaker's urn and had it melted into big gold chains.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Vince wanted DeBiase to sell the Million Dollar Man gimmick full time on the road, so he'd give Ted thousands of dollars just to throw around at bars and stuff

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Eclipse12 posted:

Raw Report March 8, 1993

Around 1994/early 1995 your going to see a jobber named Ken Raper appear on Raw. Wasnt quite clear if that was his name or if his gimmick was that he was a rapist.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Before I was schooled on professional wrestling speak by one Bubba Clem, I used to refer to jobbers as flunkies.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Vince wanted DeBiase to sell the Million Dollar Man gimmick full time on the road, so he'd give Ted thousands of dollars just to throw around at bars and stuff

Man I bet that dude lived the loving life.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Daaaaaaammmnnn :frogc00l:

Bloopsy posted:

Around 1994/early 1995 your going to see a jobber named Ken Raper appear on Raw. Wasnt quite clear if that was his name or if his gimmick was that he was a rapist.

drat! :froggonk:

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

E: beat pretty good but mine has a picture.

I never made the connection! :aaa:

Hooooooooo Traaaaaiiiiinnnn

So horrible but I can't help laughing at it.

My wrestling background is so spotty. I had periods where I was paying for every PPV and then times where I'd go years without so much as watching a show. Most of my formative wrasslin' years were based on renting VHS tapes, buying the magazines, and playing the video games. The longer storylines, real world scandals and new personas could easily miss me entirely. I don't think I saw Raw until the late 90s but I could catch the Sunday morning show

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 19, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

Man I bet that dude lived the loving life.

He was my favourite wrassler when I was younger, extremely disappointed he got poisoned by religion.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bloopsy posted:

it's ok, turns out he was a legit Raper, from a long line of Rapers

https://allwrestlerslist.com/wrestler-ken-raper-kenneth-clay-raper-wiki-profile.html
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=7927

Also known as Ken Starr, Chief War Cloud, Beta, Jason The Terrible

:trumppop:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Id tell you all about wrestling but I can't break kayfabe.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Cubone posted:

miz keeps kayfabe but you can tell he starts getting genuinely upset, especially after woods wins miz's wife's divas championship

if you genuinely believe he's getting upset, then you deserve to watch wrestling

YeahTubaMike posted:

I loved Coral, and I thought she was right to hate him. At least she & Malik had patience with him and taught him stuff, but even after he was reformed, he still seemed like a douche.

lol Patience is the last thought that comes into my mind when I think of Coral, even though he's a douche

Allegro
Feb 14, 2021

Regarding The Miz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d4SLA4HYp0

Greatest talker of all time. Or the last 20 years.

Context for the first half: The short guy (Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson) was _the most over guy_ in the company before he had issues with concussions. So the company didn't have him wrestle anymore, but he teased in interviews and on social media again and again that he might just quit the WWE and go to Mexico to wrestle.

He is back in the ring nowadays, due to better diagnostic tools figuring out that he had no brain damage.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Just a fun little reminder of the old late '90s WCW days. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NpeWe5sGk

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

March 15, 1993

Tonight on Raw, NY is snowy. The announcing team is without Vince and Macho Man and it's just awful.

Oh no, Russ Greenberg! What are you doing fighting Razor Ramon?! Run! Run, you fool!

L.A. Gore, the world's greasiest man, faces his worst enemy, Typhoon, the man who literally drinks grease for breakfast.

Hot poo poo! Here comes Giant Gonzalez for an interview. Ha ha ha, this guy is 12 feet tall.

Silhouette of Hogan. Hulkamania intensifies.

Godfather Shango fights Grandfather Backlund. Bob Backlund is his own grandson. Shango wins a game of "mercy" but loses the match.

Yay! Paul Bearer and Undertaker promo!

NASTY Boys! Wow, these guys are really fan favorites. They have some good ol' nasty family fun with a foodfight against Headshrinkers.

Randy Savage gives an anti-drug speech to kids.

They heavily implied that the snowstorm impacted tonight's show, so I'll give them a pass.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

gently caress!!!

I just found out that the Deity of poo poo, the God of Love and Piss, the Cutest in the World lost her AEW match.

:negative:

And I missed watching it.

But she's open to coming back to AEW and joining the Dark Order if they pay her.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/maki-itoh-on-joining-the-aew-womens-tournament/

Always Be Charging, Maki. Always Be Charging.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

if you genuinely believe he's getting upset, then you deserve to watch wrestling

Cubone
May 26, 2011

wrestling is more real than The Real World btw

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cubone posted:

wrestling is more real than The Real World btw

Wrestling is the realest thing of all, goonfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

During WWEs attitude era, were most wrestlers wearing street clothes and not traditional trunks? Like I know Stone Cold wore trunks but eventually he moved to jorts.

I didn't watch wrestling regularly as a kid/teen, just caught it on tv when I could, but I've got this idea that wrestling went from mostly trunks to mostly street clothes.