Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
ken griffin: i-. guy: STOP EVADING MY QUESTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Look at this normal human

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This is what $289,000 gets you in Missoula. No garage on a dirt side road.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

holy lol. I’d imagine all those power plants with outdoor equity have cracked valves too. omg so much industry is going to be just wreaked anything with water in valves outside goddamn. lol claims is going to be busy.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Why the heck didn't they drain those systems after getting power shut off long term

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A lot of that poo poo might not be quick to get replaced simply because there might not be enough spare parts anywhere.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Laterite posted:

It's a small consolation that all those assholes who said 'just move' in response to high housing prices on the coasts now get to have the same problem.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Laterite posted:

Eh, having a separate house for your car is just bougie excess anyway.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

A lot of that poo poo might not be quick to get replaced simply because there might not be enough spare parts anywhere.

There won’t be.

And as someone that does industrial contract work the entire supply chain for new industrial equipment parts is backlogged to hell because of Covid. Things I used to be able to get in days now takes weeks or months. It’s gonna be awhile before everything is fixed.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol at posters earnest watching congress not send me my loving check

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raccooon posted:

There won’t be.

And as someone that does industrial contract work the entire supply chain for new industrial equipment parts is backlogged to hell because of Covid. Things I used to be able to get in days now takes weeks or months. It’s gonna be awhile before everything is fixed.

I'm hoping for their sake a lot of those obviously old cast valves aren't obsolete and only able to be special ordered.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

This poo poo happened to Texas 10 years ago. The state government commissioned a report for what happened and the report said a failure to winterize power production and supply lines. Texas government did nothing assuming the industry would be incentivized to fix it. As you can see they weren’t.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SchnorkIes posted:

Why the heck didn't they drain those systems after getting power shut off long term

they probably didn’t think about it. there probably wasn’t a plan. they probably assumed power wouldn’t be out long term.

gently caress me if that type of damage is widespread...
I mean there’s the recession.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
this hearing is rear end. the questions are either republicans tonguing the financial services industry's collective balls or democrats asking asinine questions that display less knowledge of this thing than your average poster and not getting to the meaty questions about the potential collusion and fraud around the trading restrictions on meme stocks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

turns out shifting reliance on tons of chemical production to a state with a rickety and barely maintained libertarian run independent grid and an infrastructure incapable of withstanding a storm that, while out of the ordinary, even its neighboring unregulated chud states were able to swiftly shrug off, was a bad idea?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There has never been a congressional hearing worth watching

Apr 7, 2003

Has that Texas bill to secede passed yet?

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress the oligarchs and gently caress the petit bourgeoisie too, hth

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
IF the stock market was to take a dump, I hope it tanks at least 50%. :colbert:

Apr 7, 2003

Real leftist class consciousness is yelling at someone who is effectively making less than factory workers did fifty years ago despite being twice as productive.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Laterite posted:

do you get that entire lot it seems ok. small houses are nice.

Apr 7, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

do you get that entire lot it seems ok. small houses are nice.

No storm doors seems pretty dumb in places with weather.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

DoomTrainPhD posted:

IF the stock market was to take a dump, I hope it tanks at least 50%. :colbert:

Number go down.

Crater in the ground.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol not a single coward has asked Griffin the only important question: "You owned a shitload of short calls in GME and then raised the clearing fee from 2% to 100% on all meme stocks, forcing RobinHood and several other brokers to restrict trading. What in the gently caress dude?"

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

oxsnard posted:

we're absolutely gonna deploy SO2 particulates sometime in the next 20 years. It's a 50/50 chance to give us another century or

What is all this then

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

MysteriousStranger posted:

You ever slept at the office for two weeks and showered in the office gym? That was not fun. Also raiding the office kitchen/free restaurant for all the goodies. Though then the cooks come in the next morning and wonder who ate all the tatertots. Though, where I work now is smarter about and just leaves poo poo out in an open air cooled thing like at a 7/11. They've also largely accepted that when IT works nights it will all be eaten. I'm partial to the falafel and tuna salad.

it was entirely manual labor :shepface:

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

KaptainKrunk posted:

imagine working 80 hours a week

This is pretty normal in medical residency, which, as a system that basically makes newly minted MDs into indentured servants to the hospital, is very C-SPAM relevant IMO

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nobody on either side of the questioning thinks that the extreme and obvious collusion the markets made to screw the retailers was bad

like Biden's SEC literally came out and said they considered it necessary and media on both sides were only falling short of calling them terrorists because they also wanted to run headlines about how reddit is now saying to massively boost <company whose ad is about to play>

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm probably going to be able to buy a house at some point in the near future, but I'm pretty sure we're talking either scrubland or tundra.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Apr 7, 2003

nomad2020 posted:

I'm probably going to be able to buy a house at some point in the near future, but I'm pretty sure we're talking either scrubland or tundra.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2712-Broadway-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M98866-23516

Here, only a cool half million to listen to your neighbors gently caress through the shared drywall.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

nobody on either side of the questioning thinks that the extreme and obvious collusion the markets made to screw the retailers was bad

like Biden's SEC literally came out and said they considered it necessary and media on both sides were only falling short of calling them terrorists because they also wanted to run headlines about how reddit is now saying to massively boost <company whose ad is about to play>

Yep. Same playbook as Obama.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

nomad2020 posted:

pick tundra, that's a good longmid-term investment

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lol not a single coward has asked Griffin the only important question: "You owned a shitload of short calls in GME and then raised the clearing fee from 2% to 100% on all meme stocks, forcing RobinHood and several other brokers to restrict trading. What in the gently caress dude?"
lol if you expect any of them to really care about creating consequences for the financial sector

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

KaptainKrunk posted:

i've done this for a week or two a handful of times (almost did it last week with 72) for major deadlines and it completely sucks rear end.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

lol if you expect any of them to really care about creating consequences for the financial sector

I do not

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

KaptainKrunk posted:

i used to work about 60 and can’t imagine adding another 20 on top of that, it’s crazy to me

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

“for loving with a hedge fund, we will investigate everyone and sentence them to turbo-death via one of the mortal kombat fatalities”

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2712-Broadway-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M98866-23516

Here, only a cool half million to listen to your neighbors gently caress through the shared drywall.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...income-housing/

$300k per 'affordable' 300sqft studio. I remember the market study they ran last year quoted about $320k to build out their own units so it's not like it's overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

oxsnard posted:

yeah climate change is crazy but we absolutely will not do anything proactive about it, not a loving chance. Housing, UBI, healthcare are huge reaches but they at least feel tangible, if only slightly possible goals

we're absolutely gonna deploy SO2 particulates sometime in the next 20 years. It's a 50/50 chance to give us another century or so but it can be done for a few hundred billion dollars a year and won't require things like stopping air travel or international shipping
saw a movie about this

it didn't work out