Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what do goons think of hexclad? seems like an interesting approach to nonstick. or maybe bullshit? idk

Dude I know had one of those pans and it was super annoying to cook with. Even brand new it felt like the worst parts of stainless and nonstick put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks for posting that, that youtuber is super irritating but they sure do a great job of hiding that the pan actually does have Teflon.

if you see a nonstick pan make a big deal about being pfoa-free but not ptfe or teflon then it probably has teflon.

it’s a great scam because there’s generally never any pfoa left on a nonstick pan anyway - it’s used as i understand it in the deposition process.

it is terrible for workers making them though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Steve Yun posted:

I use my $25 IR thermometer ALL the time. It can be about 15° inaccurate on most things but as long as you keep in mind how imprecise it is it’s very useful to know whether your pan is 280° or 340° or whether your stew is 140° or 165°

It’s very inaccurate on stainless steel, maybe dozens of degrees off, but the solution to that is to put in some oil and measure that

I use it more than my thermapen

Theyre also super fun for general loving around. For example, I now know that my chickens' feathers are way more efficient at keeping heat in than my dog's coats.

I've got a $30-40 one and it seems to be accurate enough, at least when I point it at boiling things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
And if you wanna know what the temp of your stew is, just stir it hard with a spoon while you're measuring, scooping from the bottom of the pot to the top

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm waiting until economies of scale bring those sweet FLIR camera / module prices down

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

you mean you guys aren't also cooking with splinter cell goggles on?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

This is sort of kitchen equipment related? I want to buy a work table for my kitchen to expand the counter space a bit. I do not want a stainless steel one. I would like something that basically looks like https://butcherblockco.com/product/clcowota but significantly cheaper. I don't need such a thick countertop. I'm basically looking for a countertop depth/height with a surface and two open shelves. There are many out there but I'm worried they won't be sturdy enough and the John Boos one looks sturdy as hell. A lot don't appear to be countertop depth either. Anyone get something similar that they like?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

This is sort of kitchen equipment related? I want to buy a work table for my kitchen to expand the counter space a bit. I do not want a stainless steel one. I would like something that basically looks like https://butcherblockco.com/product/clcowota but significantly cheaper. I don't need such a thick countertop. I'm basically looking for a countertop depth/height with a surface and two open shelves. There are many out there but I'm worried they won't be sturdy enough and the John Boos one looks sturdy as hell. A lot don't appear to be countertop depth either. Anyone get something similar that they like?

I have this thing by ikea as our kitchen island. It’s very sturdy and has held up for at least 3 years use with no sign of wear and tear.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/foerhoeja-kitchen-cart-birch-80035920/

E. Just saw you want two shelves, not just one. If you click the link, it will show you similar kitchen islands made of different materials and different dimension/shelves.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 19, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Ikea is the way to go for wood/non-metal kitchen islands, though you're probably going to spend around $400+ for something with a decent size like the one you linked earlier. Something you could do is get 2 Kallax units (about $70 each), some legs (about $13 for 4, you'll need 6 legs per kallax) and some kind of tabletop (can find one from Ikea for anywhere from $30-$100 depending on material. Put the legs on the kallax units, then push them together width-wise and put the tabletop over it. This will give you a work surface about the same height of a countertop, it's modular so you can move it around if you need to (or repurpose the kallax as regular shelves) and the work surface can be any size you like. You can go further with it by adding doors to the kallax shelves or leave it there. The shelves are decently wide and tall, big enough for most appliances and food stuffs.

My partner did the same thing for her cutting table and it is working great so far.

Kallax: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-shelf-unit-high-gloss-white-10305741/

Capita legs: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/capita-leg-stainless-steel-60263574/

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 19, 2021

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I should be using wooden utensils in an enameled cast iron dutch oven, correct?

The enamel is harder than metal but I imagine over time, repeated scraping with metal would wear through the coating.

I thought this OXO set looked ok. Is there an oil I should apply to them every so often?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TIJJ5Q4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MS5WYFWNGT78VGQW4A6B

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can use metal in an enameled dutch oven to stir, but probably not ideal if you need to scrape browned bits off the bottom. enamel is pretty tough.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah metal on enamel is fine, just don't attempt to scratch through the coating and you won't, in my experience.

Wood utensils are kind of like knives in that you really have to feel them to know if they feel right to you. Fortunately, they're unlike knives in that they're extremely cheap. That OXO set is probably fine, as would be most other wood ones you'd get anywhere. I like bamboo.

You won't need to oil them if you actually use them--your hand oil will take care of the handles, and the food you're manipulating will take care of the other ends.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Scythe posted:

Yeah metal on enamel is fine, just don't attempt to scratch through the coating and you won't, in my experience.

Wood utensils are kind of like knives in that you really have to feel them to know if they feel right to you. Fortunately, they're unlike knives in that they're extremely cheap. That OXO set is probably fine, as would be most other wood ones you'd get anywhere. I like bamboo.

You won't need to oil them if you actually use them--your hand oil will take care of the handles, and the food you're manipulating will take care of the other ends.

BraveUlysses posted:

you can use metal in an enameled dutch oven to stir, but probably not ideal if you need to scrape browned bits off the bottom. enamel is pretty tough.

Ty, I will probably get the OXO set. One of the recipes I cook often literally has the step “scrape up browned bits” so probably not a bad idea.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You’ll almost never go wrong with oxo imo. They make unitasker poo poo you don’t need for sure (avocado slicer), but most of the day to day stuff is solid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kreeningsons posted:

I should be using wooden utensils in an enameled cast iron dutch oven, correct?

The enamel is harder than metal but I imagine over time, repeated scraping with metal would wear through the coating.

I thought this OXO set looked ok. Is there an oil I should apply to them every so often?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TIJJ5Q4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MS5WYFWNGT78VGQW4A6B

I feel like wood is the absolute best for scraping stews and fond off any pan, whether it’s nonstick, steel, cast iron or enamel. It’s firmer than plastic and softer than steel, a perfect Goldilocks material for getting browned poo poo off the bottom of a pan and mixed around

It wears down and ever so slightly flexes so that it’s perfectly flush and gets great contact against the bottom of any pan, something that no steel utensil can match

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like wood is the absolute best for scraping stews and fond off any pan, whether it’s nonstick, steel, cast iron or enamel. It’s firmer than plastic and softer than steel, a perfect Goldilocks material for getting browned poo poo off the bottom of a pan and mixed around

It wears down and ever so slightly flexes so that it’s perfectly flush and gets great contact against the bottom of any pan, something that no steel utensil can match

I have a wooden spatula that's just absolutely perfectly worn down to where it feels more like a surgical instrument than a cooking utensil. If this thing ever breaks I'm gonna cry.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

1redflag posted:

You’ll almost never go wrong with oxo imo. They make unitasker poo poo you don’t need for sure (avocado slicer), but most of the day to day stuff is solid

Agreed. I thorougly enjoyed this writeup of the history behind the Oxo peeler

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well this has probably been asked several times, but any recommendations for bulk storage of dried goods (flour, pasta, beans)?

I found a pantry moth in my kitchen last weekend, so I tossed out all my dried goods (except for some stuff that I know to still be sealed airtight) and put everything I had left into some plastic leftover containers.

My plan going forward is to just keep everything inside a good-quality container once I start restocking.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Well this has probably been asked several times, but any recommendations for bulk storage of dried goods (flour, pasta, beans)?

I found a pantry moth in my kitchen last weekend, so I tossed out all my dried goods (except for some stuff that I know to still be sealed airtight) and put everything I had left into some plastic leftover containers.

My plan going forward is to just keep everything inside a good-quality container once I start restocking.

i like the anchor hocking glass containers. i have a few 1- and 2-gallon with liftoff lids for bulk storage. they are a bit unwieldy, though, being glass, but i'm tired of plastic everything.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Eeyo posted:

Delitainers and square cambros?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Eeyo posted:

Last time I was at Costco they had a 6-piece airtight set that I've been getting a lot of good use out of.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Last time I was at Costco they had a 6-piece airtight set that I've been getting a lot of good use out of.

Lol I just came from Costco, looks like they had that last week and replaced it with a set of leftover containers (so like several cup containers etc), so no luck there. I saw the display models behind the new display they had set up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I gave up on those oxo sealing containers and switched to cambros for flour, sugar and rice. delitainers/reditainers for anything else under a quart. grease pen for labeling and dating

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i like the anchor hocking glass containers. i have a few 1- and 2-gallon with liftoff lids for bulk storage. they are a bit unwieldy, though, being glass, but i'm tired of plastic everything.

I think I used to have something like that, it was like a giant mason jar kind of thing. Or do they make a different shape?

I've never used the Cambros before. I don't know how tight the lid needs to be, I know it's possible that the moths (or rather their larva) can chew through bags and probably wiggle through some stuff, but maybe they're good enough?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, I have most of my dry goods like flour, rice, and so on in 4 qt cambros. They're more or less exactly the right size for a 5# bag of flour.

They also stack neatly with each other and with the 2 qt cambros (the other ones that take the same green lids). The 2 qt ones are good for smaller things, like a box of kosher salt, non-straight dry pasta (penne, orecchiette, farfalline, fusilli, and so on), bulk spices that come in quantities too large for mason jars, and so on.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

There's also two kinds of lids, one that's easy to lift off and one that seals airtight

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get vacuum pump dealios to leave no air in there for cambros, too

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Eeyo posted:

If youre looking to store massive quantities of anything get food grade 5 gallon buckets and upgrade to screwtop lids.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

chris young of mc and chefsteps fame started a new equipment company after breville. ought chefsteps. their first product is a wireless thermoprobe.

from what i can tell they’re doing some fancy modelling to predict when food will be done by measuring chamber temp, food surface temp, and food core temp. supposedly there are eight thermal sensors in the probe.

signing up to their email list nets you 30% off of an undisclosed price with a ship date of sometime this year. no pre-orders yet. i’m guessing they’ll shoot for something between $99 and $149.

also a guess but i assume the probe will pair with BLE. no word on changing or recharging batteries. maybe you’ll just swap out the probes? the base station has wifi as well for phone pairing. i am looking forward to this, i think, pricing dependant.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My brother got me a set of these press weights and they're pretty awesome:

https://www.thechefspress.com

Highly recommended if you're in the market for a vented weight for things like steaks and sandwiches.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

My brother got me a set of these press weights and they're pretty awesome:

https://www.thechefspress.com

Highly recommended if you're in the market for a vented weight for things like steaks and sandwiches.

this is relevant to my interests

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a Canadian hookup for those

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

mediaphage posted:

chris young of mc and chefsteps fame started a new equipment company after breville. ought chefsteps. their first product is a wireless thermoprobe.

from what i can tell they’re doing some fancy modelling to predict when food will be done by measuring chamber temp, food surface temp, and food core temp. supposedly there are eight thermal sensors in the probe.

signing up to their email list nets you 30% off of an undisclosed price with a ship date of sometime this year. no pre-orders yet. i’m guessing they’ll shoot for something between $99 and $149.

also a guess but i assume the probe will pair with BLE. no word on changing or recharging batteries. maybe you’ll just swap out the probes? the base station has wifi as well for phone pairing. i am looking forward to this, i think, pricing dependant.

i can already see myself fumbling the probe into hot coals and crying as it melts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xtal posted:

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a Canadian hookup for those

lmao holy poo poo $54 USD shipping to canada what the gently caress like it's probably as cheap to just get a local metal fab to do it??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just use a brick covered in aluminum foil

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Just use a brick covered in aluminum foil
Yeah but what's the shipping on that?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*me, an idiot, whisking eggs* "This is nice."

*you, a genius* "Why aren't you just using this ball of wire on a stick?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Don't make fun of the Danish whisk.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

*me, an idiot, whisking eggs* "This is nice."

*you, a genius* "Why aren't you just using this ball of wire on a stick?

You, an idiot, taking a shower

Me, a genius, washing myself with a rag on a stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

you, idiot, wiping your rear end with TP

me, genious ancient roman, wiping my rear end with a poo poo encrusted sponge on a stick I share with the boys