Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
I just found out that in FF4 (FF2 in the US for awhile but not any more) that you could avoid the trap tiles in the secret dungeons, by casting float on your party. How did i not know this for 20+ years? I dunno. What other stuff have people found out about old games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I knew the trick ways of beating The End in MGS3 by either killing him early or moving the clock forward. Only found out recently that inputting the Konami code shows you exactly where he is on the map

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I knew the trick ways of beating The End in MGS3 by either killing him early or moving the clock forward. Only found out recently that inputting the Konami code shows you exactly where he is on the map

You can also track his footsteps with the IR goggles

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Odd posted:

I just found out that in FF4 (FF2 in the US for awhile but not any more) that you could avoid the trap tiles in the secret dungeons, by casting float on your party. How did i not know this for 20+ years? I dunno. What other stuff have people found out about old games?

how did you get past those dungeons without that? even on easytype, i think the summoner's cave would be pretty loving brutal if you had to heal every square.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

how did you get past those dungeons without that? even on easytype, i think the summoner's cave would be pretty loving brutal if you had to heal every square.

I did that area before I learned float in the GBA version, wasn't that bad.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Healing spells. Also grinding, and anger

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

u didn't need to heal every squre. hell sometimes i just walk thru that poo poo. gently caress this damage floors!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

guess i just found out soemthing about an old game, lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the conga line of guys you run over in the first gta are supposed to be hare krishnas. i always thought they were like football guys or something

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

EmmyOk posted:

:aaa:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

the conga line of guys you run over in the first gta are supposed to be hare krishnas. i always thought they were like football guys or something

It says gouranga...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

It says gouranga...

yeah i didnt know much about hare krishnas and only just realized it wasnt some kind of football chant or something. i thought they were footie guys on their way to a game all decked out in the same color

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixPMaQC2izM lol this made me remember how hard it was to get all 7 of the fuckers

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i found out the other day that doom has some pretty crazy random damage and I guess I just never realized it when I played as a kid. like getting hit by a revenant rocket in 2 can do 20 damage or 200 and everything inbetween

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

:stare:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've played MGS3 countless times and only found out last year that the snow camo and face paint makes The Pain's bees not attack you. Presumably it's using the same principle as a beekeeper's suit.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've played MGS3 countless times and only found out last year that the snow camo and face paint makes The Pain's bees not attack you. Presumably it's using the same principle as a beekeeper's suit.

what

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

What the...

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

MeatwadIsGod posted:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I found out only hours ago that the G3 fight in Scenario A of the original Resident Evil 2 is a complete pushover with the lovely ol' knife, and his own damage output is incredibly feeble to boot, making it all seem so very trivial. I only say this because until then I'd never really tried such melee nonsense against a 15ft tall monster with four arms, but there you go.

I mean sure he immediately morphs into G4 and proceeds to become a total loving nightmare to use the knife on for various reasons, but I'm surprised at just how easy he is to deal with before that happens.

extremebuff posted:

i found out the other day that doom has some pretty crazy random damage and I guess I just never realized it when I played as a kid. like getting hit by a revenant rocket in 2 can do 20 damage or 200 and everything inbetween
I'm being excessively pedantic by saying it's really 10 - 80dmg in increments of 10 but yeah, Classic Doom has some wild RNG poo poo going on under the hood and it adds a certain risk/reward layer to the gameplay that keeps it as such an engaging game to this day.

Shibawanko posted:

:same:
The chant was (is) of horrible quality and still sounds like complete gibberish to my ears, as do many sports chants. I'd never even seen anything Hare Krishna-related before GTA rolled around either (except for that one zombie in Dawn of the Dead, and even then I didn't get it) so I was completely clueless as to what they really were supposed to be for a good five/six years.

HORMELCHILI posted:

It says gouranga...
Which might as well have been a made-up word meaning "ORANGE MEN!", "BINGO!" or "GOT 'EM!!" for all I knew/cared back when I was ten :v:

Not to mention running down all of them fast enough for the GOURANGA! message to appear was a stupidly rare occurrence anyway.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i thought gouranga was like cowabunga

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A Konga Line of Hare Krishnas

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

this is obvious mgs logic, bees dont come out in winter

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lol

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021
This thread reminded me of how you can kill the villain of The Saboteur in the first mission if you sequence break during the tutorial and unlock machine guns for your car way ahead of when you're supposed to, and that Pandemic actually made a special ending credits for it. But there weren't any videos of it so I had to make one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcGgT2L30yI

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You don't have to lockpick doors open in Deus Ex if you have a rocket launcher

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sorting Algorithms posted:

This thread reminded me of how you can kill the villain of The Saboteur in the first mission if you sequence break during the tutorial and unlock machine guns for your car way ahead of when you're supposed to, and that Pandemic actually made a special ending credits for it. But there weren't any videos of it so I had to make one.

Badass.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cool lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i only realized when i replayed mario world recently that when you swallow enemies as yoshi it's the coin sound effect playing with the gulp and you indeed get a coin

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

i only realized when i replayed mario world recently that when you swallow enemies as yoshi it's the coin sound effect playing with the gulp and you indeed get a coin

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

after playing souls games religiously for a decade I found out a year or two ago that you could mash buttons to escape grab attacks, even mimics

i thought you were just a loving gonner if anything grabbed you. theres even animations for shoving monsters away

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i mash in every game when im grabbed, even if it does nothing

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lmfao one dislike,

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
cool tho

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

mycophobia posted:

I got the tude now posted:

lmfao one dislike,

lmao, but sad also

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lmao, but sad also

Expert version of this: the powerup jingle is the end of level jingle sped up a billion times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

after playing souls games religiously for a decade I found out a year or two ago that you could mash buttons to escape grab attacks, even mimics

i thought you were just a loving gonner if anything grabbed you. theres even animations for shoving monsters away

:how: