Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

And it's not like there is any shortage of okay Punisher movies, either.

i would go so far is to say that is where all three Punisher movies reside.

better than the netflix show, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Well it's since spiraled into her trying to get a kid booted out of college so it's clear something went to her head

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1362480950349807618

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Good point keep talkin posted:

Well it's since spiraled into her trying to get a kid booted out of college so it's clear something went to her head

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1362480950349807618

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WfRcnF4iZI&ab_channel=DarkLegend

What did the kid she's trying to get kicked out of school actually say, I'm not seeing that in any of the tweets?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 18, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He told her "just shut the gently caress up and no one will come after u"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MacheteZombie posted:

I mean, that's a veiled threat and all but if you went after every kid that said something like that online, America's schools would be deserted.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

When he said "no one will come after u" did he mean that as a threat of violence or in the form of getting dragged on twitter. I continue to be baffled that anyone uses twitter. It's full of dumbass drama and is a graveyard of careers.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The director of punisher warzone has a lot of pull with college admin, I hope she uses this power more responsibly in the future #disappointed

Someone needs to remake the 'never go on reddit' song but for twitter

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I can't tell ya what he meant but I read it as no one will come at her on Twitter.

And my mistake he used the wording "people won't go after you"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MacheteZombie posted:

I can't tell ya what he meant but I read it as no one will come at her on Twitter.

And my mistake he used the wording "people won't go after you"

God Dammit, why was this the hill she decided to die on?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

She then went on to accuse a black film critic of being "on the side of a bunch of abusive white people" for giving her some pretty gentle pushback

https://twitter.com/BadPostsLLC/status/1362444143818018817?s=20

she's developed David Simon brain unfortunately

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, more than any other twitter melt down this one hurts. Over people saying a white male NYT writer refusing to watch films more than 45 years old was being a dumbass.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

She then went on to accuse a black film critic of being "on the side of a bunch of abusive white people" for giving her some pretty gentle pushback

https://twitter.com/BadPostsLLC/status/1362444143818018817?s=20

she's developed David Simon brain unfortunately

Look at this poo poo. I'm wondering if her overall behavior also figures into why she can't get work. She was already pissing people off when they were making Punisher.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

feedmyleg posted:

Did we ever get a definitive answer on why the original Sonic movie design was so bad? Like, who insisted that they had to do their own spin on it? What was the thinking?

I think there's a significant (and older, and more influential) segment of the American movie-going audience that just hates abstraction and artifice. It's this nexus of people who prefer "realism" even when it's loving hideous, the attitude that cartoons are exclusively for children, a little bit of chauvinism towards other countries whose filmmaking industries don't always have the budget to make everything look photorealistic, and probably some other factors I haven't thought of.

One manifestation of this is that, rather than making films like Who Killed Roger Rabbit where two aesthetic worlds overlap while remaining distinct, you get movies where Sonic looks like a disgusting blue rat because you're only allowed one aesthetic at a time and that's what Sonic "would" look like in real life.

e: I might be overstating the extent to which the fear of artifice, the fear of silliness, and the love of uniformity are the same phenomenon, and it's very possible that some of them will outlive the others. They all seem pretty tightly intertwined to me for the moment, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think there's a significant (and older, and more influential) segment of the American movie-going audience that just hates abstraction and artifice. It's this nexus of people who prefer "realism" even when it's loving hideous, the attitude that cartoons are exclusively for children, a little bit of chauvinism towards other countries whose filmmaking industries don't always have the budget to make everything look photorealistic, and probably some other factors I haven't thought of.

One manifestation of this is that, rather than making films like Who Killed Roger Rabbit where two aesthetic worlds overlap while remaining distinct, you get movies where Sonic looks like a disgusting blue rat because you're only allowed one aesthetic at a time and that's what Sonic "would" look like in real life.

e: I might be overstating the extent to which the fear of artifice, the fear of silliness, and the love of uniformity are the same phenomenon, and it's very possible that some of them will outlive the others. They all seem pretty tightly intertwined to me for the moment, though.

I agree with everything you say in this, but just lol at the idea of going for realism in a film where, even before there's any CGI, you have Jim Carrey playing a character named Dr Robotnik.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that all tracks and I assume most of that is true, I just wondered if we'd heard any actual rumors or had words from anyone inside the production.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Since Lexi is the topic du jour, here's my contribution

https://twitter.com/mattboydsmith/status/1362431878574260226?s=19

She absolutely comes off as an rear end in a top hat

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/theepicdept/status/1362480950349807618?s=21

She’s got a bad case of bluecheck brain

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

McCloud posted:

Incredible. Oof.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will say, as someone who was way too into Arrow and saw every episode as it aired, the episode Lexi Alexander directed wasn't bad, but didn't stand out at all compared to any random episode where they were just like "writing team got tired of writing Olicity drama, let the stunt team do whatever the gently caress they want for 20 minutes straight, give them a steady cam."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

No no, she’s been blacklisted for supporting Israel, not because she’s an rear end in a top hat. Don’t tell anyone but The Jews run Hollywood. And they act in concert behind the scenes to further their aims. (It’s not some kind of Jewish media-controlling conspiracy though). That’s why we haven’t heard from Mel Gibson for years, and Ken Loach’s films don’t get US distribution.

therattle fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

No no, it’s because she’s been blacklisted for supporting Israel. Don’t tell anyone but The Jews run Hollywood. And they act in concert behind the scenes to further their aims. (It’s not some kind of Jewish media-controlling conspiracy though). That’s why we haven’t heard from Mel Gibson for years, and Ken Loach’s films don’t get US distribution.

The blacklisting idea is because she doesn't support Israel, and it's loving evangelical Christians that will cancel you faster for not supporting Israel than American Jews.

Edit: It's also entirely possible possible she doesn't get more work both because she has correct but unpopular political ideals and is terrible to work with. One will often compound the effect of the other, "I know he's a tyrant on the set, but he says all the right things to all the right people" "Yeah she's a firebrand, but when you're shooting with her everything works smoothly."

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's actually sorta hosed up that criticizing Israel as a state for committing genocide against the Palestinian people is considered more anti-semitic than screaming "the Jews control everything you loving oval office" in a drunken rant at a female cop that pulled you over for a DUI.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The blacklisting idea is because she doesn't support Israel, and it's loving evangelical Christians that will cancel you faster for not supporting Israel than American Jews.

Edit: It's also entirely possible possible she doesn't get more work both because she has correct but unpopular political ideals and is terrible to work with. One will often compound the effect of the other, "I know he's a tyrant on the set, but he says all the right things to all the right people" "Yeah she's a firebrand, but when you're shooting with her everything works smoothly."

It's probably a number of things. Between being a woman in Hollywood, being outspoken about the treatment of female directors, and generally being an rear end in a top hat I would guess that's why she isn't too in demand. Though I don't imagine that being vocally Pro-Palestine and being a loudmouth on twitter is doing her any favors because if I had to guess I doubt the studios want to deal with that potential shitstorm.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Putting Ken Loach's name right next to Mel Gibson is a bit of a stretch, no? One is on the record as a virulent racist, the other got bad-mouthed by some of the worst journalists in the UK for defending Jeremy Corbyn.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Uh huh. The evangelical Christians who are commonly thought to wield a lot of power in Hollywood? I’m sorry, I’m calling bullshit.

Here is an article about various people taking a stand against Israel (albeit indirectly in some cases): Viggo Mortensen, Mark Ruffalo, John Cusack, James Schamus... all of whom seem to be doing ok.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/filmmakers-back-right-boycott-israel-german-festival-controversy-1123831

So I don’t know how much backlisting because of support for Palestine really goes on.

cargohills posted:

Putting Ken Loach's name right next to Mel Gibson is a bit of a stretch, no? One is on the record as a virulent racist, the other got bad-mouthed by some of the worst journalists in the UK for defending Jeremy Corbyn.

I absolutely did not mean to equate them, you’re quite right. It was more to point out that neither a known anti-Semite nor a prominent Israel critic have been blacklisted. So it’s unlikely that her position on Palestine is it.

Misogyny is a more plausible explanation. Plus assholery.

therattle fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 19, 2021

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

therattle posted:

I absolutely did not mean to equate them, you’re quite right. It was more to point out that neither a known anti-Semite nor a prominent Israel critic have been blacklisted. So it’s unlikely that her position on Palestine is it.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Uh huh. The evangelical Christians who are commonly thought to wield a lot of power in Hollywood? I’m sorry, I’m calling bullshit.

Here is an article about various people taking a stand against Israel (albeit indirectly in some cases): Viggo Mortensen, Mark Ruffalo, John Cusack, James Schamus... all of whom seem to be doing ok.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/filmmakers-back-right-boycott-israel-german-festival-controversy-1123831

So I don’t know how much backlisting because of support for Palestine really goes on.

I will defer to your obviously superior knowledge of how the movie industry works, since you work in it and I don't, I just took offense at what I thought was you equating criticism of Israel with being anti-semitic, which I now don't believe you were trying to do.

I will point out all the people you mentioned speaking out against Israel and being fine with their careers are white men and Lexi Alexander is a German/Palestinian woman.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 19, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

therattle posted:

I don't know if there's a big Evangelical segment in the film industry (probably not unless we're talking about the MPAA) but American Evangelicals are nuts about Israel because that's supposed to be Jesus' landing pad during the rapture. And then when he gets there Jewish people have to convert or go to Hell. American conservatism is a death cult.

edit: Now that I think of it, this is probably not exclusive to the US. So it was probably dumb to point it out.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 19, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I will defer to your obviously superior knowledge of how the movie industry works, since you work in it and I don't, I just took offense at what I thought was you equating criticism of Israel with being anti-semitic, which I now don't believe you were trying to do.

I will point out all the people you mentioned speaking out against Israel and being fine with their careers are white men and Lexi Alexander is a German/Palestinian woman.

Skwirl posted:

Lexi Alexander is incredibly outspoken about the mistreatment of Palestine by Israel so I'm like 90% certain she's been blacklisted by most of the industry.

To whom exactly were you referring when you said “most of the industry”? Because I don’t think you meant evangelical Christians. I think you meant it as Jews blacklisting her because of her views on Palestine. Which is getting awfully close to “Jews control Hollywood and blacklist anyone who criticises Israel”.

I dunno, maybe I’m being paranoid or over-sensitive but that first post about blacklisting definitely set off an alarm bell in me.

Point taken about men being ok. I definitely think misogyny could be a factor.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

therattle posted:

To whom exactly were you referring when you said “most of the industry”? Because I don’t think you meant evangelical Christians. I think you meant it as Jews blacklisting her because of her views on Palestine. Which is getting awfully close to “Jews control Hollywood and blacklist anyone who criticises Israel”.

I dunno, maybe I’m being paranoid or over-sensitive but that first post about blacklisting definitely set off an alarm bell in me.

Just so you know, when I was talking about that I didn't mean it as a THE JEWS!!! thing but more as a "No one is going to want to deal with a possible PR nightmare when she goes off on this on twitter.".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She’s a woman who is pro piracy, politically out spoken, and punisher war zone didn’t do well at all and is only popular among us film geeks.

It’s easy to see why she got booted. Imo very sadly. Although those tweets do suck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
She sounds like he has her head on straight about politics and other things and is just abrasive and has terrible opinions about movies.

So basically fess up, which one of you goons is Lexi Alexander? :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

She’s a woman who is pro piracy, politically out spoken, and punisher war zone didn’t do well at all and is only popular among us film geeks.

It’s easy to see why she got booted. Imo very sadly. Although those tweets do suck.

I guess that's why she got turned down for Captain Phillips.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She sounds like he has her head on straight about politics and other things and is just abrasive and has terrible opinions about movies.

So basically fess up, which one of you goons is Lexi Alexander? :v:

She's trying to publicly shame some kid and get him kicked out of college because he made a comment about her on twitter (which had her name censored by the way) I think this goes deeper than she has terrible opinions about movies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

therattle posted:

I really think it was the angle of "this is an unpopular opinion and one that can generate negative controversy" and the evangelical thing came in with their ability to amplify controversy and make it the aforementioned PR nightmare.

Like being openly anti-semitic didn't hurt Mel as much because he's also super conservative and the same evangelicals that unwaveringly support Israel (but only Likud and to the right of them) also think Mel's right that a sinister Jewish cabal controls Hollywood.

CPL593H posted:

I guess that's why she got turned down for Captain Phillips.

She's trying to publicly shame some kid and get him kicked out of college because he made a comment about her on twitter (which had her name censored by the way) I think this goes deeper than she has terrible opinions about movies.

I'm more bothered by her completely failing to listen to a WOC who's giving her extremely gentle and constructive push-back by saying she's a white supremacist.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 19, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

America is a settler-colonial nation much like South Africa, Israel and northern Ireland where the native population was pushed out or outright massacred to make room for settlers. Which is why American conservatives and northern Irish unionists both idolize Israel because they're doing today what British settlers did in America and Ireland hundreds of years ago.

Also in America there's the weirdo religious segment that's wildly antiemetic but supports the existence of Israel because they believe the state of Israel is necessary for Armageddon and of course no one gets to heaven until Armageddon.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Look, whatever comes of all this, I just hope that one day Lexi Alexander adopts a small, handsome newt and names it Sexy Salamander.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's all we can hope for

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

I think if you say anything against Israel's campaign of genocide a bazillion different groups will spend a lot of money to try and destroy you and most of those groups aren't run or organized by jewish people. Look at what they've tried to do to Ilhan Omar.

Edit: I'm starting to understand why Lexi Alexander goes full on gently caress You at criticism, since me pointing out criticism of Israel often gets misconstrued as anti-semitism get's me accused of anti-semitism.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 19, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm more bothered by her completely failing to listen to a WOC who's giving her extremely gentle and constructive push-back by saying she's a white supremacist.

Yeah that's why I posted it. She's a cornucopia of dipshit views. She straight up silenced a black woman for a few soft and valid criticisms right after condescendingly telling her how to feel as a black woman.

Skwirl posted:

Edit: I'm starting to understand why Lexi Alexander goes full on gently caress You at criticism,

That's a cop out. The thing I mentioned above is a perfect example of her just being a needlessly hostile dipshit who is so loving fragile she's trying to smear some college kid over a comment she made about old movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A theater not far from me is playing Shin Godzilla. Of all the goddamn times for this to be in a theater.

:negative: