Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Jobs need to advertise pay. It's stupid that they don't and it should be mandatory, by law.

This is now the law in Colorado!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
There is a posting at work that I've been encouraged to apply for, as it supposed to be a title bump. I've looked at it, and while I will, I'm a bit confused about it.
Basically, the position calls for someone with skills in X,Y and Z, and they are to be located in city A. Checks out so far. I have those skills, and I'm planning on moving there already. So its a posting for a job I'm already doing in a place I plan on going anyway.
I scroll down to requirements, and run into an problem. Job calls for a bachelors degree. Not sure why, but it does. Thats a problem, I don't have one. But, farther down is the line "Equivalent work experience and education is considered." But, I know from a previous coworker that HR won't pass along resumes that don't meet the education requirement. In fact, its why we've lost some people.
Get to the next section, the pay is less then I make now. For supposedly a grade increase. When this was brought up, the posting manager was surprised.
I compare it to some other positions currently up, and this is between 30 and 40% less pay then those. I'm told this is being worked on and one of those pay amounts is wrong, but I'm not sure I believe that.

But, the thing that has me most annoyed by this, people in our department have been told for at least a year that a promotion was coming for all of us. Now this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

Jobs need to advertise pay. It's stupid that they don't and it should be mandatory, by law.
Companies should be required to publish the compensation of all of their current employees, too.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I hate programming language skills tests. Random rear end questions, arcane details, etc.

Also, 1:30 to evaluate a multiple choice, 4 functions, from 10-20 lines each, which of the following WILL NOT return x?

I scored in the 'top 15%', so not terrible (job cuts off at 20%?) and got 5% I USED THE MAN PAGES on 'Linux'

Linux questions were terrible too. What command line option does X on this command that's almost never used?

When I was applying with different companies, I got the same test three times (different agencies): a planning exercise with x jobs and y resources with different skillsets against a time limit. The provided information is on different pages, requiring you to jump back and forth the whole time. Also, as I found out after the second time, it's impossible to plan everything as you have more jobs than time so you need to prioritize. But I took screenshots that time so that when the third time came (they told me a planning test was part of the assessment), I used my screenshots to prepare myself. Apparently, I did very well. :grin:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

This is now the law in Colorado!

That’s good.

Do companies adhere to it or is it flagrantly ignored and then not enforced?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Steakandchips posted:

That’s good.

Do companies adhere to it or is it flagrantly ignored and then not enforced?

The multinational I just left was adjusting any job posting that could potentially involve CO to include salary in the posting. I doubt companies are going to ignore it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

I should be receiving emails from the xxxxxxxx, they are showing delivered on their end but I am not receiving. Could you check to make sure myself, managers and execs are open to getting the emails from them.

- Marketing Dude

TICKET 23423 ASSIGNED TO BOB

Okay, no big deal, I'll just log into the Barracuda and...

quote:

Added xxxxxxxxx to the Whitelist on the Barracuda Cloud Layer.

Marketing Dude, let us know if you have any more issues.

- Bob's manager

Alrighty then.

I still go and check it out to see what's happening. They are using some service to do bulk emails blah blah. And they don't have DMARC setup correctly, so the spam filter says oh hell no.

I send this to my manager, saying hey maybe we should re-think the domain whitelist, since there are potentially hundreds of people there, and we still don't want to allow just anything from them. We whitelist a handful of hospitals, county governments, etc for things like court cases and other stuff we deal with. But not much other than that.

Typically I will allow the messages from today, then email the sender to see if there's a technical contact I can speak with, and let them know what's going on. And then if they need help setting up a spf/dmarc/whatever, I'll do a phone call with them since it benefits us both. I mean, it's not like we are the only ones who aren't getting these emails.

Then my manager emails me back, quoting the above image that I sent him:

quote:

The <domain> were being blocked by dmarc.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jfc

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Pissing me off: HR sitting on a FOIA request for a week before passing it on to me (they don’t have database access to our ERP and no two FOIA requests are the same), then finding out that half the historical pay data is missing because they only recently learned how to record pay increases properly.

Thankfully I’ve got the audit logs for the historical data, but it’s a bitch to pull the data from those rather than a nice structured position history table.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pissing me off: I resigned and I'm in my notice period but the owner/bossman asked me not to communicate about it yet. However, it's been over two weeks (the notice period here is longer than two weeks) and he still hasn't said anything about it to anyone (other than the one person from HR). I'm having to dodge questions on long-terms projects and issues. OTOH, not really my problem. Just proves the place will never change (communication is one of the issues) and I was right to leave.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dude, you get to plan your own stealth going away party. go nuts. Rub it in. get a cake.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Or just start telling people. What are they gonna do, fire you?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

sixth and maimed posted:

Pissing me off: I resigned and I'm in my notice period but the owner/bossman asked me not to communicate about it yet. However, it's been over two weeks (the notice period here is longer than two weeks) and he still hasn't said anything about it to anyone (other than the one person from HR). I'm having to dodge questions on long-terms projects and issues. OTOH, not really my problem. Just proves the place will never change (communication is one of the issues) and I was right to leave.

Why do you give a poo poo? Tell people.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The problem is they could insist on keeping me for the maximum notice period (13 weeks) if I rock the boat too much. I want to leave earlier than that because the new job wants me sooner than later. But yeah, I've been telling people on the down-low. My frustration is that this isn't how it should be but it's just part of the lovely company culture here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheParadigm posted:

Dude, you get to plan your own stealth going away party. go nuts. Rub it in. get a cake.

guys

we're going to chili's

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
It sucks so bad when a user learns of a cool feature in o365 or more like Teams and then asks why don't we have it and we respond that we are in the govt cloud. :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sixth and maimed posted:

The problem is they could insist on keeping me for the maximum notice period (13 weeks) if I rock the boat too much. I want to leave earlier than that because the new job wants me sooner than later. But yeah, I've been telling people on the down-low. My frustration is that this isn't how it should be but it's just part of the lovely company culture here.

They can insist all they like, you have a new job.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It works way differently outside of the US and maybe Canada, one of the few (only?) benefits to at will employment is the freedom of movement US goons are used to. Folks from other countries can’t necessarily just gently caress off when they please

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

It works way differently outside of the US and maybe Canada, one of the few (only?) benefits to at will employment is the freedom of movement US goons are used to. Folks from other countries can’t necessarily just gently caress off when they please

Even in the US, I know there are employers that make you sign "reciprocal" agreements preventing one party from severing from the other without x weeks notice. Banks tend to do this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

It sucks so bad when a user learns of a cool feature in o365 or more like Teams and then asks why don't we have it and we respond that we are in the govt cloud. :smith:

I feel your pain. At my last job our contracting group split off the main tenant and migrated to gc high. It’s really bad when a person down the hall has all the features.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

ghostinmyshell posted:

Been there, it's extra fun when Microsoft sends a trainer and they don't realize that you're a government tenant and proceed to spend several hours talking to the organization about all the great features (that aren't and won't be) available to them, leaving you to be the bad guy telling people that they can't have the new shiny.

As an added bonus, some of the troubleshooting docs that Microsoft has online don't apply if you're in the government cloud :smith:

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Why the gently caress would you hold off on pushing out a Windows update if you aren't going to use that time to test it to see what it breaks?

Desktop engineering just started pushing Windows 10 1909 out to all of our users - "After extensive testing"

For the past week we have done nothing but slog through call after call of people having problems after the update - VPN won't connect, Teams won't load, Outlook won't connect to Exchange, Office keeps prompting for activation.

Call after call. Non-stop, morning, noon, and night - "I was prompted to run a Windows update and now my X is doing Y"

Apparently, "Extensive testing" means 1 laptop and 1 desktop, in a lab, connected directly to the LAN.

Never mind the fact that 90% of the company is WFH on the vpn - "gently caress it, works fine in the lab. Let the Call Center grunts handle it"

All 27 of the Generalists are on calls. All 24 of Tier 1 is handling Generalist roll-over. And all 10 Tier 2 are handling Tier 1 calls.

And the supervisors keep popping into chat - "Hey guys, got a lot of calls in queue. What's driving the volume?"

loving Desktop Engineering - that's what is driving volume.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

i am a moron posted:

If you negotiate a shorter notice period than what's in the contract, get it in writing, or suck it up.

"Freedom of movement" is a moot point, it just takes a bit more planning.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

What’s moot exactly?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
In most cases, it means that whatever is being referenced is devoid of any purpose/point.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They can insist all they like, you have a new job.

It's this:

i am a moron posted:

The same law that protects an employee from being fired with only two weeks notice also protects the employer from an employee walking away. The number of weeks of notice goes up with how long an employee has worked for a company. I've been working there for 10 years so my notice period is 13 weeks, though less is possible by mutual agreement. That is why I can't rock the boat (too much). Legally, they can insist on the 13 weeks weeks notice.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Looked at my paycheck this morning and saw I got a 3% raise but still have the same job title.

The past 2 years I've been told I'm at the max hourly level for this position so there was no increase available without a job title change. So what they do is give me a "bonus" that equals out to what a normal percentage increase would be based on my hourly rate x 2080 hours, usually a few thousand bucks.

So now I get to have a conversation with my boss about wtf is going on, because either there was an increase available and he doesn't know wtf is going on or he's promoted me without telling me and lol if I'm going to take the job title bump with a freaking 3% raise when if I had been getting those increases the past 2 years I'd need at least a 10% increase to take this position.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FW: MS-ISAC CYBERSECURITY ADVISORY - Multiple Vulnerabilities in Google Chrome Could Allow for Arbitrary Code Execution - PATCH: NOW - TLP: WHITE

Why oh why do you need to forward these to me?

Chrome will update on schedule like we have it set to. Or do you want me to drop everything and force an update right this second?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I hate programming language skills tests. Random rear end questions, arcane details, etc.

Also, 1:30 to evaluate a multiple choice, 4 functions, from 10-20 lines each, which of the following WILL NOT return x?

I scored in the 'top 15%', so not terrible (job cuts off at 20%?) and got 5% I USED THE MAN PAGES on 'Linux'

Linux questions were terrible too. What command line option does X on this command that's almost never used?

I made a possibly dumb idea to take the bash scripting test while watching a 5-month old with an ear infection. Despite his best efforts I still scored 'in the top 15%', the job cuts off at 30%.

Now I wonder what % of the questions I got right? There's only 15 questions, 90 seconds to answer each. One I didn't even answer because I was still trying to figure it out. I figured no answer is better than wrong? gently caress if I know.

Anyway I must have made it to the next step since I got an email.

quote:

Please complete this first step in the process by answering each question in detail with at least a sentence. Your response in both content and clarity is a metric to further step and consideration in the hiring process.

*Please also send your most updated resume for this role’s qualifications in WORD if you have not.

Skill Detail:

How many years of work experience do you have using Linux?
How many years of work experience do you have using Bash?
How many years of work experience do you have using Python (Programming Language)?
How many years of work experience do you have scripting R?
Have you completed the following level of education: BS degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or related field? (Not required, just a bonus)
Any additional information on why YOU are a great

Your Detail:

What is the hourly rate you are looking for minimum? (# in USD, not open)
What is the best telephone number to reach you at?

This is like a $100k/year job, right?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 18, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I made a possibly dumb idea to take the bash scripting test while watching a 5-month old with an ear infection. Despite his best efforts I still scored 'in the top 15%', the job cuts off at 30%.

Now I wonder what % of the questions I got right? There's only 15 questions, 90 seconds to answer each. One I didn't even answer because I was still trying to figure it out. I figured no answer is better than wrong? gently caress if I know.

The two red flags that immediately jump out are them asking for your "minimum hourly rate" and insisting you send your resume in Word format (is this by chance through a recruiting agency?).

Not saying you shouldn't continue with the application process, but if I were to guess I'd say it's a $100k/year job they're trying to pay someone $40k/year to do.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Always refuse to reveal your current hourly rate. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the job you are applying for. They are asking to suppress your wages further in a potential new role.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Always refuse to reveal your current hourly rate. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the job you are applying for. They are asking to suppress your wages further in a potential new role.

or just lie and say it's like 30% higher than it really is

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They didn't ask that. They asked what they wanted.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

They didn't ask that. They asked what they wanted.

Never answer this question either, for the exact same reason.

Weedle posted:

or just lie and say it's like 30% higher than it really is

No. What if they were willing to pay 50% higher?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Thanatosian posted:

The two red flags that immediately jump out are them asking for your "minimum hourly rate" and insisting you send your resume in Word format (is this by chance through a recruiting agency?).

Not saying you shouldn't continue with the application process, but if I were to guess I'd say it's a $100k/year job they're trying to pay someone $40k/year to do.

The word format resume is a huge red flag in my book. My wife and I both have seen or had doctored resumes by recruiting folks in the past. They all come up with excuses of why they are asking but in reality... none of the excuses hold up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress it. Asked for 100, its 20 more than I make now and if I don’t get it who cares

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress it. Asked for 100, its 20 more than I make now and if I dont get it who cares

A proper answer: What's the range you are looking for?
Then ask for the high end.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

If I was running a bash test I'd have one question, and watch them solve it. If they do cat file |grep string I'd immediately dismiss them.

edit: anecdote time
I took the RHCSA years ago when they switched from RHEL6 to 7 for the test. When we signed up for the test it indicated it was in RHEL6, but when they issued it, they were using RHEL7. One of the differences between 6 and 7 is how you enter single user mode to reset a lost root password.

It's the first thing you have to do on the test, since you are given a VM to work on, and they don't give you the root password. The first step in the test is something like "set the root password on VM to XXXX".

One guy in the test room didn't know how to do it in RHEL7, and was really upset that the test had switched from 6 to 7 with out him knowing and he flipped out and yelled at the proctor for a while.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

A proper answer: What's the range you are looking for?
Then ask for the high end.

This is easy to do when you are working and looking to jump, but man it sucks when you aren't employed and need a job. But yes, I always specifically don't give my salary. Before an interview I look at salaries for what I'm applying for and tell them what I think I'm worth. If they push on knowing your current salary, they it's not a place you want to work at, and the job should only be considered if you are desperate and need work.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 18, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Answer to any Linux question, when it isn’t something you do every day: “google it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Wait what’s wrong with cat file | grep string

I wouldn’t say I do that all the time but it’s not uncommon.