Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

8one6 posted:

All joking aside I'm happy you've found something you enjoy.

They’ve got a fair point, all the Enterprise characters are fairly likeable or at least blandly inoffensive. They just don’t have any chemistry together beyond the main trio of Archer, T’Pol, and Trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HD DAD posted:

Yesss, finally there’s two Enterprise defenders in this thread. Wait till you get to seasons 3 and especially 4.

I like Enterprise, OP.

I think it had a lot of Voyager syndrome but was on average better.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Enterprise is loving boring. It's just so dull

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I actually don't mind Faith of the Heart. It is fine

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Royal Updog posted:

I actually don't mind Faith of the Heart. It is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JNgC8tc-x8

Archer's Theme is way better.

Also hello, yes, Enterprise is a decent show, it just doesn't get good until Season 3.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve been defending Enterprise for 20 years :colbert:

:negative:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MkYdtU61Y

Brought to mind because she used Archer's Theme instead of Faith of the Heart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

This is a really good video. The transitions from the DS9 theme to the Voyager theme, and then from Voyager to Archer's theme are really standout moments.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Man, Voyager really never lived up to that theme at all, huh? It’s easily the best Berman-era theme.

I’m still not a fan of Archer’s Theme, but it sounds a whole lot better when played by something other than an anemic soft rock guitar.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Go in a completely different tonal direction for Disco season 4 and have Rob Zombie do the theme song.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Go in a completely different tonal direction for Disco season 4 and have Rob Zombie do the theme song.

Just have it be Dragula, only replace "Dragula" with "Discovery".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I will also accept More Human Than Human or Thunder Kiss '65.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPNFVj-pISU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, could you imagine the how big the brain cracks in the weird Twitter chuds who hatewatch New Trek would be if Disco S4 blasts onto the scene with Discovery pew pewing to Rob Zombie? Fuuuuuuck man.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Great, you just made me ponder the passage of time and remember that I'm divorced, single, unemployed and my main claim to fame as I rapidly approach my 37th birthday is having a deplorable excess of behind-the-scenes Trek knowledge. Thanks a lot, jerk.

:(

Tighclops posted:

I knew Enterprise would abandon its premise completely by the end of the first episode when they suddenly had phaser weapons with the exact same audio and visual effects from Voyager

Like why even make a prequel if you're not even going to change that up

Sanguinia posted:

Remember when Enterprise had their first space battle and they were using these weird energy cannons that shot little red bolts and were kind of useless, and how they didn't even get all the way through Season 1 before they got standard Phasers and Photon Torpedos along with the Identical To Shield Armor Plating just so we could keep writing Space Battles the exact same way we always did?

Timby posted:

Hull polarization is at 62 percent :suicide:

I know I've posted this multiple times before, but I remember watching that first episode of Enterprise and just completely swearing off the show. I was so pissed that after having been promised "oh no, we're totally changing things up," it felt just like a return to formula. I never watched the show again while it was still in production.

I went back and skimmed the show a few years ago. I still feel like I absolutely made the right call in swearing off the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
gently caress it, rob Zombie themes for all new trek shows.

Dig through borg droids
And burn through the soong droids
And slam in the back of my Sirena

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Dig through borg droids

Rob Zombie on the show as Vice Admiral Zombie. And there's a Captain Spaulding hologram, too.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
When Warf joins the cast of DS9 I am glad that they establish he is actually good at fighting. Having him get chumped was practically a running gag on TNG.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 18, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Dig through borg droids

[muffled Picard in the background] "RIOS! Turn that garbage down!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Despite my criticisms of Enterprise over the last few days, I'm actually more or less a defender of the show. I actually loved it when it was on, though I haven't revisited it, so I don't know if it holds up. I think it's way better than Voyager. I mostly criticize it from a viewpoint of wanting the best for it and wishing it had really made it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I want to like Enterprise but I'm still agog at how they took Scott Bakula, a charming, charismatic, likeable actor, and made Archer such an impossible prick. I watch only for Shran.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gonz posted:

More Burnham Than Burnham

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Enterprise has pockets so it's objectively the best series.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Enterprise has pockets so it's objectively the best series.

Pretty sure TNG had an entire pocket universe

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh yeah, enterprise got torpedoes after finding they exist on that klingon ship in the gas giant, they just never acknowledge it.

Stoked for season 3/4 to find out what nerds are pissed off about. I'm a nerd so maybe I'll be pissed off! Tune in to find out.

It's 7:30 am the day of the perseverance rover landing so that gives me about 6 episodes before I briefly switch over to NASA TV.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

down1nit posted:

Oh yeah, enterprise got torpedoes after finding they exist on that klingon ship in the gas giant, they just never acknowledge it.

Stoked for season 3/4 to find out what nerds are pissed off about. I'm a nerd so maybe I'll be pissed off! Tune in to find out.

If you already like the show now, you'll probably like everything except the very last episode. Enjoy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah honestly just go in knowing the showrunner for season 4 wrote the second-to-last episode as a series finale.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just watched Voyager episode 3, which was the second causality time paradox episode in a row, but I enjoyed it. It didn't make a lot of sense in parts but I liked Tom and Kathryn's on the fly bullshitting to other characters when they were trapped a day in the past. They were very organic in a way I don't think a TNG character would be. I love Tom telling this kid that actually he is a demon and he eats children.

Also Kes had a psychic vision about this dead planet and Neelix immediately is unsupportive and like "It's all in your head it was just a nightmare you idiot". And what's funny is after Janeway fixes everything she still has the nightmare and he still tells Kes it's all in her head and she needs to chillax but this time he's right.

I also really enjoyed Tuvok. He's extremely reasonable. His "I feel I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't point out there is no logical reason to believe Janeway was in this room, however because I have no alternative suggestions for a course of action I recommend we go forward with your approach." Thanks Tuvok you're alright buddy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neelix spends the first season and a half constantly gaslighting Kes and it’s creepy as gently caress

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

HD DAD posted:

Yeah honestly just go in knowing the showrunner for season 4 wrote the second-to-last episode as a series finale.

Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: thanks DAD

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Neelix spends the first season and a half constantly gaslighting Kes and it’s creepy as gently caress

To be unreasonably fair to him, her psychic powers are pretty vague and out there, and no one from her species has demonstrated them before except in third hand ancient stories no one of her species even believes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sir Lemming posted:

If you already like the show now, you'll probably like everything except the very last episode. Enjoy.

HD DAD posted:

I seem to recall in In A Mirror, Darkly that Mirror Tucker has a line suggesting that him trying to understand the Defiant's engines would be like a boat engineer trying to figure out a warp engine.

And then in These Are The Voyages it turns out Tucker, the chief engineer of Earth's first Warp 5 ship, doesn't even have a degree (I think they say he didn't even finish high school) but started out working on boat engines.

I thought that a subtle bit of shade thrown.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok, I am done Disco S3 and I generally liked it. The emotional beats resonated with me - probably due to being acted very well even though I really don't care for 3/4 of the cast nor know most of their names.

I was dismayed tho trying to get a rundown on YouTube that the first 32 channels I came across were right-wing chuds. I can see people not liking this show but then their vitriol was intense and out came the keywords, "social justice" "woke" and more. I clicked their channel name and what do I see as recent videos? Defending Gina Carano. So gently caress. I found ONE person so far who wasn't a piece of poo poo and mostly liked the season but they weren't a chud.

E: For those wondering it was Nerdrotic, and Heelvsbabyface who I quickly learned were not good people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's strange, Star Trek was always pretty woke or progressive or whatever the era-appropriate term was. The change from "where no man has gone before" to "where no one has gone before" is a prime example, as is the numerous female characters who are unmarried and capable professionals. And all the pacifism and tolerance of TNG. Picard is basically a SJW.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Where are the furry races though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

John F Bennett posted:

Where are the furry races though

TAS

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Animated Adventures of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek? Are those actually any good?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

John F Bennett posted:

The Animated Adventures of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek? Are those actually any good?

Terrible, but weirdly entertaining. If you ever wanted to see Fifty-Foot-Tall Spock, Kirk meeting the devil, or Uhura saving the Enterprise from a planet of man-enslaving witches, it’s the show for you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

skasion posted:

Terrible, but weirdly entertaining. If you ever wanted to see Fifty-Foot-Tall Spock, Kirk meeting the devil, or Uhura saving the Enterprise from a planet of man-enslaving witches, it’s the show for you.

That last one is a particularly great moment - Uhura is the highest ranking officer aboard that hasn't been mindjobbed by the space sirens, and she solves the problem by stunning the dogshit out of everybody and just dragging her people out of there by the heels. Uhura gives zero fucks, it's amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vintersorg posted:

I clicked their channel name and what do I see as recent videos? Defending Gina Carano. So gently caress. I found ONE person so far who wasn't a piece of poo poo and mostly liked the season but they weren't a chud.

E: For those wondering it was Nerdrotic, and Heelvsbabyface who I quickly learned were not good people.

Trek youtubers I enjoy are Steve Shives and Jesse Gender. Neither of them is chuddy. It's always a matter of taste with youtubers though so no promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

John F Bennett posted:

Excellent and extremely good