Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Banished is a complete game, yes.

I played Banished maybe a year or so ago and I really liked it but really quickly just ran out of content/things to do. Have they added more? It seemed like a great game for like 3-4 hours then just... repeats the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I never really worry about ratios in games like Factorio. If I need more of something I build more and if I seem to have too much maybe I'll delete something. Usually I end up with the right ratio just by fiddling.

Math nerd aside, this is kind of how iterative methods work for solving equations too, you make an initial guess and start working towards a better solution by some method until things look good enough :haw:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JosefStalinator posted:

I played Banished maybe a year or so ago and I really liked it but really quickly just ran out of content/things to do. Have they added more? It seemed like a great game for like 3-4 hours then just... repeats the same thing.

no, as games go it has a fairly limited scope for base content. in a way i respect that, very old school - no endless early access, no stretch goals, no DLC

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

no, as games go it has a fairly limited scope for base content. in a way i respect that, very old school - no endless early access, no stretch goals, no DLC

Fair enough. Just be warned anyone who is thinking about buying it - I got bored of it super fast for this reason!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mayveena posted:

In other news, I wanted to talk a little more about Dyson Sphere Program. I think this is the factory game for those of us who find Factorio and especially Satisfactory pretty opaque because of the large amount of I'll call it fiddlyness with those games. When you start Factorio as a newbie you don't even get access to blueprints (anymore; didn't used to be that way) so you're kind of left on your own to find out 'best practices'. This can lead to a frustrating experience. In Satisfactory everything seems upfront until you run into ratios and especially ratios+over/under clocking. Yes yes, for those of you who are math heads and/or do math for your job, these issues aren't difficult but that's not true for all of us who may want to try something like these games but without having to re-take algebra II :)

In Dyson Sphere, like Factory Town, you can use the eyeball math method. Here's a pic of what I mean

I'm wondering why my research is going so slow. I go back to the oil extractor and refinery and I see where the bottleneck is. I make more refineries until there's no more bottleneck. Instant easy solution (Skye Storme goes on about this as well btw). Now perhaps later on in Dyson Sphere you do need to understand the math, and the eyeball method requires that you leave a lot of space like I didn't, but given the approach to the game, I suspect the eyeball method will take you a long way. Also, it's just way easier to build nearly anything in Dyson Sphere than the Factorio/Satisfactory equivalent. You slap it down, slap some sorters on, filter the sorters, and you're good to go. Again reminds me of Factory Town (in its current iteration) although Factory Town is way simpler than any of these games.

Highly recommended for first timers in this sub genre. I get frustrated because I think everyone else knows what they are doing and I don't, but I'm learning to trust the game and doing a lot better.

for what it's worth I don't really think DSP is much different from factorio, you don't need to figure out ratios in either of them, I certainly never have.

But the difference is more that DSP allows you to integrate expansions more easily using the logistics system. In factorio you can eyeball things but it is difficult to connect a new section of the factory into the existing one because it is a lot more restrictive with its belt placement and its logistics equivalent is a lot less efficient.

In DSP you can either just build belt spaghetti over the top of buildings, or you can hook it into a logistics tower which can sort of superposition all supply chains connected to them, allowing you to connect any production block to any other production block anywhere in the galaxy if you need to, though it is obviously easier on one planet.

As you get later in the game you will start to get a sense of the kinds of ratios you need but you can also just eyeball it, look at the factory, see which lines are not backed up, build things to produce more of those materials, look again. This is also entirely doable in factorio, it just is harder to get the belt placement working because factorio is harder to do belts with full stop.

E: oh, and I guess there is also the difference that I don't think vanilla factorio has the ability to do a liquid overflow or burn off excess liquids, which probably makes oil harder than it needs to be, whereas DSP does let you do that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 18, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Banished was good, for one, maybe two playthroughs. Did the second specifically to get this achieve and then sorta got bored of it and never played it again. Still occupied my time for ~12 hours. Definitely an interesting game.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

If you liked Banished but felt it ended too early, I can’t recommend Endzone highly enough. It is very much Banished mechanics with a lot of additional things going to go logistic crazy over, and regular deadly dust storms instead of Banished’s winters.

It’s still in Early Access, but they’re very much at the “final polishing touches” stage, and official release is probably only a few months away.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I thought Dawn of Man was a pretty good development of Banished.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Endzone vs Surviving the Aftermath?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, Endzone looks sweet how have I not heard of this game until now :psyduck:

Looks like it's close to the end of the EA, maybe I'll just wishlist it and wait for the full release before checking it out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

what do you think Banished is?

A game that I keep confusing for another game called "Towns" and I can never seem to remember which game is which

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
endzone is ok, it is definitely more banished like with the way labor is assigned, the crunchiness and direness of resource logistics, and the harshness of the environment

surviving the aftermath is a bit more zoomed in and focuses on personality, to the point that you have power NPC settlers who you order around to do quests and map exploration

they're both pretty alright, well done enough but nothing really phenomenal

FirstAidKite posted:

A game that I keep confusing for another game called "Towns" and I can never seem to remember which game is which

towns is the one which went into development hell years ago and never matured enough to be worth playing, nor will it ever be completed. totally dead

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Give the Colonial Charter mod a try.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Evil genius 2 comes out next month y’all. I am excited and broke my no preorders rule for it.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Evil genius 2 comes out next month y’all. I am excited and broke my no preorders rule for it.

I'm a bit concerned about the fact that there's already a season pass for it. That said, I'm probably going to preorder it as well, because I'm weak.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

FirstAidKite posted:

Towns is cartoony and unfinished. Gameplaywise, it aimed for Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress, i think.
Banished goes for realism and looks far less saturated. It's also a pretty good game with huh, ... focussed content.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 18, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want Rimworld but it's never on sale, at least for an impulse buy. One of these days...

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want Rimworld but it's never on sale, at least for an impulse buy. One of these days...

I didn't keep an eagle eye on it, but I wanted it for a few years, and just never saw a significant sale. I think I picked it up after the winter sale 2019, because it didn't have a price drop at all. And then on a random weekend it was 40% off.

The lesson, just buy it now so it will go on sale for other people to pick up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I bounced off Rimworld so hard, because a game like Factorio or OpenTTD is really easy to figure out with just common sense (why isnt my driller running? It needs electricity. Why is my train stopped in the middle of the track? Misplaced signal).

Whereas in Rimworld the game will say "Your little guy is sad and angry and bleeding". Well the bleeding is pretty easy, it means he needs a bandage or a doctor. But there's a trilion ways to solve the other two and I got frustrated trying to balance all the colonists emotions and feelings as well as their physical needs like food, shelter, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kvlt! posted:

I bounced off Rimworld so hard, because a game like Factorio or OpenTTD is really easy to figure out with just common sense (why isnt my driller running? It needs electricity. Why is my train stopped in the middle of the track? Misplaced signal).

Whereas in Rimworld the game will say "Your little guy is sad and angry and bleeding". Well the bleeding is pretty easy, it means he needs a bandage or a doctor. But there's a trilion ways to solve the other two and I got frustrated trying to balance all the colonists emotions and feelings as well as their physical needs like food, shelter, etc.

That's kind of the point of Rimworld though, it's just a slow death spiral that you are able to escape to end the game rather than a management one. It's far closer to the arcane and deadly madness of Dwarf Fortress than a city builder.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh no I totally get that NOW, like the things I complain about are WHY people like it so that just means its not for me. But when I first bought it I thought itd be a more logistics focused game so I was pretty confused.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kvlt! posted:

Oh no I totally get that NOW, like the things I complain about are WHY people like it so that just means its not for me. But when I first bought it I thought itd be a more logistics focused game so I was pretty confused.

I find this interesting as when I booted up Rimworld for the first time and saw all those bars on pawns I knew it was Sims, but GRIMDARK. And so I treated it like Sims, and got into it pretty well!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I didn't really do any research beforehand a friend raved about it to me and it was on sale. Lesson learned. I did have some fun with it, it's def really cool but once it clicked "the fun is watching your colony die in crazy ways" I bounced off it hard bc spending a lot of time on a colony only to have it be destroyed is a possibility in any management game, but to me its not fun when that happens it means I lost the game not won it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I didn't really do any research beforehand a friend raved about it to me and it was on sale. Lesson learned. I did have some fun with it, it's def really cool but once it clicked "the fun is watching your colony die in crazy ways" I bounced off it hard bc spending a lot of time on a colony only to have it be destroyed is a possibility in any management game, but to me its not fun when that happens it means I lost the game not won it.

That's not how I have fun with it at all! I had the most fun in Rimworld last year with two separate saves - one where I played on easy vanilla with no mods and made a colony that eventually got royal help and blasted off, and it was cool to figure out how to repel invaders and get enough food and handle my muffalo herd. The "classic" pacing is pretty forgiving and it was cool to build a colony I cared about.

The second one I went FULL bananas, installed 300+ mods, activated the console to make sure anyone I cared about survived, and made a cultist genetic freaktown with a baby dragon and it was a hoot making this lurching, horrible colony capture people and turn them into ducks or whatever. I eventually got distracted and stopped playing this one, but while I was on it, it was great. I don't know if I ever would have let that hellscape die, as it was mine and I loved it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone looking to run a restaurant? This just hit steam for $8.50

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289340/TasteMaker_Restaurant_Simulator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Shum1Ddic

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's not how I have fun with it at all! I had the most fun in Rimworld last year with two separate saves - one where I played on easy vanilla with no mods and made a colony that eventually got royal help and blasted off, and it was cool to figure out how to repel invaders and get enough food and handle my muffalo herd. The "classic" pacing is pretty forgiving and it was cool to build a colony I cared about.

The second one I went FULL bananas, installed 300+ mods, activated the console to make sure anyone I cared about survived, and made a cultist genetic freaktown with a baby dragon and it was a hoot making this lurching, horrible colony capture people and turn them into ducks or whatever. I eventually got distracted and stopped playing this one, but while I was on it, it was great. I don't know if I ever would have let that hellscape die, as it was mine and I loved it.

drat I am not going to lie this does sound pretty fun when you phrase it like that, especially the second one you've described.

I think you've convinced me to give it another shot once I finish grasping Shadow Empire (which at this rate will be the year of our Lord 3000 AD)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah if you want to play rimworld on ez mode just dial the difficulty way down and it plays like a more traditional village builder, with a deep gunfight system. this is not the 'intended' way to play but its viable

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

yeah if you want to play rimworld on ez mode just dial the difficulty way down and it plays like a more traditional village builder, with a deep gunfight system. this is not the 'intended' way to play but its viable

imho the "intended" way to play Rimworld is kinda not great, as it turns it from a cool colony builder with occasional challenges into a constant test of how well you can balance survival with constant enemy raids, and that's not for me.

I am also a person who prefers to play with biters in peaceful mode or entirely off, so that's my perspective.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I pretty much bounced off Rimworld too. I think the smaller population relative to Dwarf Fortress makes it more annoying to queue up tasks for your morons and watch them not do them

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is it still the case that picking a narrator other than Randy will eventually cause you to be attacked by too many enemies that are too strong to survive? Is that what people are talking about? I haven't played in a few years, but it does seem like the best way to play Rimworld is to learn the ropes then add on 100 mods you want to make it more fun.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I have always played at "medium". Unlike factorio, you can't really play ~biters off~ as you miss out on a primary resource stream vital for the mid-game and almost necessary if you don't have hills or mountains.

For a gimic run I did this thing where changed the game. Every raid, I would go into dev mode and wound all the raiders to downed but not dead. Then my trained colonist in would go out the walls, triage these refugees, and quarantine them until release.

I processed this pandemic real wierd like.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The dev doesn't do sales. Like at all. So unless you get real shady, the best you'll ever see is the occasional 10% off. The lowest it has ever been is $29, and that was once on one single store, otherwise its only ever been 10%. If you want it, you just gotta buy it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

ShootaBoy posted:

The dev doesn't do sales. Like at all. So unless you get real shady, the best you'll ever see is the occasional 10% off. The lowest it has ever been is $29, and that was once on one single store, otherwise its only ever been 10%. If you want it, you just gotta buy it.

The DLC is also largely unnecessary. Like the mechanics introduced is fine and all, but it is just an NPC faction of fancy boys, a mechanical incentive to build a dope throne room, and fiddly psychic powers. But largely extraneous.

Don't sweat it for a first playthrough. I bought it sight unseen because I already had 200 hours in, it was a widely considered a dev support action to buy it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Chakan posted:

Is it still the case that picking a narrator other than Randy will eventually cause you to be attacked by too many enemies that are too strong to survive? Is that what people are talking about? I haven't played in a few years, but it does seem like the best way to play Rimworld is to learn the ropes then add on 100 mods you want to make it more fun.

It's also nice that for virtually every complaint you can think of for Rimworld, there is a mod to fix it, or a mod to add it in. Want to run a chill bed and breakfast? Install a peaceful storyteller, the hospitality mod, and the gastronomy mod. Add in additional cooking/planting mods for more food variety, drinks, desserts, etc. Maybe you want to automate that, so you grab some of the mods that help with the automation of farming so that it's less tedious.

And then after that, maybe you want to go for a "to serve man" restaurant rather than a normal restaurant, so you install some mods to make butchering humanlike more interesting, maybe some other race mods so that you have customers who don't mind eating human meat, maybe the bones mod to be able to build the restaurant out of your food supplies, and maybe a more aggressive storyteller to ensure that regular food supplies make their way to you.

Maybe you want to lead a faction and build a world-spanning empire, so you get the mod for that. Then you decide that hey, maybe you want to fight a massive war to claim the planet, so you install that mod too. And maybe you want this to be a medieval or viking themed world, so you get those mods and create your viking/medieval tribe. Maybe you want a "religious" angle, so you install the cults mod as well and start worshipping dark powers and taking prisoners from your raids on enemy settlements to power your sacrifices to please your patrons. Hell, you can even make magic a thing in the world and fling lightning bolts, or fireballs, or chronomancy, necromancy, etc.

It's amazing how much content there is in the modding scene and just how customizable the game gets. Project Rimfactory basically lets you build Factorio inside of Rimworld as well, with machines that automate every step of mining and processing right up to the finished materials. It's a great game, and there are so many ways to play it.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Anyone play Ruinarch?

Reviews are generally positive, but it's in early access. Looks like a DungeonKeeper/Rimworld mashup?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/909320/Ruinarch/

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Grevlek posted:

Anyone play Ruinarch?

Reviews are generally positive, but it's in early access. Looks like a DungeonKeeper/Rimworld mashup?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/909320/Ruinarch/

It's fine, it's fun and designed around making a story rather than a challenge to break a human settlement. I bought it a while ago and come back every month or two to see what's changed and it's reasonably fun for ~5-10 hours baseline and more if you want to give yourself goals. You're essentially a malevolent force that's trying to stay hidden and slowly break down the "good" town nearby. I really wanna stress that if you're going specifically for a challenge, it wasn't there when I played last. It's trivial to afflict villagers with vampirism and watch a misery-death spiral.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also nice that for virtually every complaint you can think of for Rimworld, there is a mod to fix it, or a mod to add it in...

I want to get back into it, but I haven't read the thread in several years so I've been putting it off for a while lol.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chakan posted:

I want to get back into it, but I haven't read the thread in several years so I've been putting it off for a while lol.

I love the time capsule of of that thread's title. Referencing No Man's Sky, it was originally No Man's Bi because the dude didn't wanna program a kinsy scale to model a pawns gayness. Then turned to No Man's High long after when some drug rebalance happened.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

KirbyKhan posted:

I love the time capsule of of that thread's title. Referencing No Man's Sky, it was originally No Man's Bi because the dude didn't wanna program a kinsy scale to model a pawns gayness. Then turned to No Man's High long after when some drug rebalance happened.

No Man's Bi is my favourite thread title ever. It wasn't that he didn't want to program a kinsey scale. It's that he set all women to bisexual and men to either straight or gay because in his experience, bisexual men weren't real. Hence the pun.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rimworld is extremely fun and good, easily one of the best management sims in recent memory for me. Mods only make it even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That's the game first released in 2000, not a new one, right?