Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Where are the furry races though

e: this is the snipe that post-DS9 trek apologists deserve

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Caitians

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Every episode of TAS is on all of the drugs simultaneously, but in a good way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All right boys, we have $50,000 an episode budget for this cartoon. We've spent $49,000 on coke and mushrooms already so be judicious with the animation.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, I am done Disco S3 and I generally liked it. The emotional beats resonated with me - probably due to being acted very well even though I really don't care for 3/4 of the cast nor know most of their names.

I was dismayed tho trying to get a rundown on YouTube that the first 32 channels I came across were right-wing chuds. I can see people not liking this show but then their vitriol was intense and out came the keywords, "social justice" "woke" and more. I clicked their channel name and what do I see as recent videos? Defending Gina Carano. So gently caress. I found ONE person so far who wasn't a piece of poo poo and mostly liked the season but they weren't a chud.

E: For those wondering it was Nerdrotic, and Heelvsbabyface who I quickly learned were not good people.

this has always been especially infuriating and baffling to me since modern Star Trek isn't particularly progressive beyond finally including queer people, but that side of the conversation is completely drowned out by nerd nazis on loving YouTube. When will they produce an episode on the same level of Past Tense? Will they ever do anything like that again? Feels doubtful. It's the same with all genre media right now, but it's especially maddening with Star Trek given its history.

and the ones that actually like these shows all come across like tasteless hacks that are paid off by CBS, which is certainly less bad than being a step removed from literal fascists but holy poo poo burn like 95% of the whole loving fandom to the ground.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

All right boys, we have $50,000 an episode budget for this cartoon. We've spent $49,000 on coke and mushrooms already so be judicious with the animation.

What is this “animation”

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Vintersorg posted:

I was dismayed tho trying to get a rundown on YouTube that the first 32 channels I came across were right-wing chuds. I can see people not liking this show but then their vitriol was intense and out came the keywords, "social justice" "woke" and more. I clicked their channel name and what do I see as recent videos? Defending Gina Carano. So gently caress. I found ONE person so far who wasn't a piece of poo poo and mostly liked the season but they weren't a chud.

As far as I'm aware the only good YouTubers talking about Star Trek stuff on a regular basis are Trekspertise and Jessie Gender. I don't mind Trekyards in small doses but once they start losing their minds over "disco shuttles" and "bridge windows" that's my cue to go do something else.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RedLetterMedia has good Trek discussions. Mike is depressed and dislikes Discovery and Picard for the "right" reasons(the non chuddy reasons that a lot of people dislike them) and breaks down good and bad episodes just chatting with his buddy Rich and getting buzzed on Milwaukee beer.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
As far as I'm aware RLM are the only non reactionary youtube people who can't stand modern Trek, I hope I am wrong though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

RedLetterMedia has good Trek discussions. Mike is depressed and dislikes Discovery and Picard for the "right" reasons(the non chuddy reasons that a lot of people dislike them) and breaks down good and bad episodes just chatting with his buddy Rich and getting buzzed on Milwaukee beer.

Yeah, I've never watched any of their non-Trek content but the Trek stuff is always good. Well argued, non-insane reasons why most of the new Trek is bad.

Have they ever talked Lower Decks? I don't think I've seen that brought up.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is TAS official canon or are you supposed to view at as an 'on the side' thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ehhhh RLM’s takes on Berman Trek are fine, if a little odd, but their Disco videos are unbearable “old man yells at cloud” poo poo at times.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Is TAS official canon or are you supposed to view at as an 'on the side' thing.

I believe it is officially what the Enterprise was up to for the final two years of its five year mission. There are a fair number of references to TAS events in other Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I believe Gene considered it apocryphal, like Star Trek V, which means it should actually be considered mega-canon and supersede all other canon entries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Apparently so. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Animated_Series#Questionable_canon

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t want to live in a world where Spock 2 isn’t canon

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, I am done Disco S3 and I generally liked it. The emotional beats resonated with me - probably due to being acted very well even though I really don't care for 3/4 of the cast nor know most of their names.

E: For those wondering it was Nerdrotic, and Heelvsbabyface who I quickly learned were not good people.

I use a browser extension called BlockTube and loaded it up all the "QAnon, But For Television" crew's central members' channels because these people are very tight-knit and self-reinforcing circle of crypto fascists. Doomcock, Nerdrotic, Heelvsbabyface, Geeks + Gamers, Midnight's Edge, TheQuartering, MechaRandom42, YellowFlash, Clownfish TV; these folks also cross over into what's wrong with Star Wars discourse these days too. Toxic assholes, all of them, and in the case of Doomcock, possibly an Actual Nazi (look it up).

But yeah, Good People who talk about Trek are basically JessieGender, Steve Shives, Ketwolski, and Junkball. Sadly as you can see by the disparity in the lists, there are more bad people screaming about Trek than there are good people actually talking about it rationally.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 18, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhhh RLM’s takes on Berman Trek are fine, if a little odd, but their Disco videos are unbearable “old man yells at cloud” poo poo at times.

It's me, I'm the old man.

I think my favorite trek video of theirs is Mike explaining why William Shatner hates them and begging him to please stop and begging their fans to not bother him because he just can't take it if Captain Kirk hates him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TAS is actually the most canon as it is not restricted by limitations in FX like other treks. It is the truest of all Treks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I've never watched any of their non-Trek content but the Trek stuff is always good. Well argued, non-insane reasons why most of the new Trek is bad.

Have they ever talked Lower Decks? I don't think I've seen that brought up.

The only thing I've heard from RLM regarding Lower Decks is that either Mike or Rich said they watched the first episode, turned it off, and then never watched another second of it. Which, if true is their loss because Lower Decks turned into the best thing Trek has done since like mid-TNG like three episodes later. Then again, Mike and Rich are two recalcitrant miserable old men at this point w/r/t Star Trek, so... I dunno. gently caress 'em.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

The only thing I've heard from RLM regarding Lower Decks is that either Mike or Rich said they watched the first episode, turned it off, and then never watched another second of it. Which, if true is their loss because Lower Decks turned into the best thing Trek has done since like mid-TNG like three episodes later. Then again, Mike and Rich are two recalcitrant miserable old men at this point w/r/t Star Trek, so... I dunno. gently caress 'em.

I mean, same, but I loved Lower Decks. After the first couple eps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only thing that is canon now is that list of sp-ck names.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PICARD: "Horrifying. Doctor Barron, your report describes how rational these people are. Millennia ago, they abandoned their belief in the supernatural. Now you are asking me to sabotage that achievement, to send them back into the Dark Ages of superstition and ignorance and fear?"

SPOCK: "The devil taught me how to use magic once."

KIRK: "I remember that. Was that before or after we met Quetzalcoatl"

SPOCK: "Before, Captain, but after you fought with Apollo."

SISKO: "I've been chosen by the gods to be the messiah."

KIRK: "How'd that happen?"

SISKO: <Just plays the piano.>

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wonder why the thought of Star Trek makes me feel so sad these days but then I remember that the best thing to come out of the brand in like 20 years is a low rent, unfunny cartoon whose main draw is whatever ancient nerd totem it'll bring back from the depths of obscurity

gently caress, at least Mando was put together well enough that somebody with no emotional attachment to the franchise could enjoy it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Sometimes I wonder why the thought of Star Trek makes me feel so sad these days but then I remember that the best thing to come out of the brand in like 20 years is a low rent, unfunny cartoon whose main draw is whatever ancient nerd totem it'll bring back from the depths of obscurity

gently caress, at least Mando was put together well enough that somebody with no emotional attachment to the franchise could enjoy it.

Mando is also all about drawing whatever ancient nerd totem it can find out from the depths of obscurity to make Fans™ point and clap :ssh:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Keep in mind Mando was like lightning in a bottle - Star Wars stuff was mostly floundering save for Clone Wars and Rebels - which not many people actually watched. I personally loved em but everything else was just pure dreck.

Trek will find it's footing I am sure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
A franchise putting out movies that pulled in billions was not “floundering” before Mando.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I enjoyed Mandalorian but in season two I could definitely tell there were a bunch of references to poo poo I was expected to know and be excited about, but as a non Star Wars person, I did not.

I recognized Boba Fett and Luke though, so I didn't miss all of them.

E: Like I gathered from the internet that the Twi'lek Jedi in the samurai episode was a big deal character from the EU stuff, I guess?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Mando is also all about drawing whatever ancient nerd totem it can find out from the depths of obscurity to make Fans™ point and clap :ssh:

Yeah, but it was also a pretty solid western. I enjoyed season 2 less because it seemed to be getting away from that to do more Lore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
If they ever make a season without the little Yoda baby I just won't watch it probably.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Keep in mind Mando was like lightning in a bottle - Star Wars stuff was mostly floundering save for Clone Wars and Rebels - which not many people actually watched. I personally loved em but everything else was just pure dreck.

And from the look of it, it seems like it has fairly recently or is in the process of finally putting a firm foot down. The broader public consensus regarding Lower Decks and Season 3 of Discovery outside the realm of internet poisoned people range from "pretty good" to "really good" depending on the show. Strange New Worlds is taking the pieces of Disco Season 2 that actually worked and building a whole show around them. And there's cautious optimism for Picard Season 2 buoyed by the fact that it now has an actual competent showrunner at the helm who's been working on Star Trek shows for like 20 years now. Also people are stoked as poo poo suddenly for Prodigy because Kate Mulgrew is going to be back as Janeway for it too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 18, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

I enjoyed Mandalorian but in season two I could definitely tell there were a bunch of references to poo poo I was expected to know and be excited about, but as a non Star Wars person, I did not.

E: Like I gathered from the internet that the Twi'lek Jedi in the samurai episode was a big deal character from the EU stuff, I guess?
Yes she is a character from the Clone Wars cartoon apparently

I didn’t watch those but I had heard of the character

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Vintersorg posted:

not only is this utter nonsense if you ignore the massive relaunch of the brand as a movie franchise and entertainment brand, the enormous success of the kids cartoons you cite is what made that happen in the first place

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

And there's cautious optimism for Picard Season 2 buoyed by the fact that it now has an actual competent showrunner at the

I bet all the kids are super excited for

*checks notes*

season 2 of Picard

These brands are old and well known enough that there is still a long, long way to go before they stop being licenses to print money

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Protagorean posted:

not only is this utter nonsense if you ignore the massive relaunch of the brand as a movie franchise and entertainment brand, the enormous success of the kids cartoons you cite is what made that happen in the first place

Yeah, Internet Discourse has successfully gaslit itself into forgetting that Star Wars was basically dead after Revenge of the Sith, and it took Clone Wars doing a fuckton of yeoman's work with a broken shovel and its own fingernails to not only rehabilitate the image of the Prequels, but of Star Wars itself as a brand to get us to the point where Disney considered it worthy of consuming whole and start making new movies and TV shows and video games and books out of.

Ask any given Redditor these days and they'll tell you with all sincerity that Star Wars was ALWAYS an impervious juggernaut that was always beloved and perfect until the (multi-billion dollar grossing) Sequels suddenly derailed that and now Star Wars is in mortal peril.

Tighclops posted:

I bet all the kids are super excited for

*checks notes*

season 2 of Picard

These brands are old and well known enough that there is still a long, long way to go before they stop being licenses to print money

Well, when the news broke on Twitter that they'd gone back into production on Season 2, I didn't exactly see anyone wailing and bemoaning it... aside from toilet helmet wearing Nazis and those closely associated with the toilet helmet wearing Nazi, I mean.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 18, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A franchise putting out movies that pulled in billions was not “floundering” before Mando.

More money != better than.

TLJ and mostly ROS pretty much sank it - they cancelled all their remaining movies at the time (RJ it seems confirmed he's making his trilogy for sure as of this week). Resistance was poo poo and is over with. People generally didn't like Star Wars again until Baby Yoda came onto the scene.

I mean, you know this - you have that avatar - you post in the SW threads. Just because you liked it doesn't mean everyone else did. TFA boosted things up a bit but it was about it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, when the news broke on Twitter that they'd gone back into production on Season 2, I didn't exactly see anyone wailing and bemoaning it... aside from toilet helmet wearing Nazis and those closely associated with the toilet helmet wearing Nazi, I mean.

Probably because most anybody who's disinterested isn't posting about it on twitter. Even a sick gently caress like me who posts about it here can't be bothered with following Star Trek poo poo on twitter.

Honestly I think most people who are done have just checked out and aren't talking about it anymore, leaving mainly fash and probably some astroturf.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah she was Anakin's padawan during the clone wars

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

More money != better than.

TLJ and mostly ROS pretty much sank it - they cancelled all their remaining movies at the time (RJ it seems confirmed he's making his trilogy for sure as of this week). Resistance was poo poo and is over with. People generally didn't like Star Wars again until Baby Yoda came onto the scene.

I mean, you know this - you have that avatar - you post in the SW threads. Just because you liked it doesn't mean everyone else did. TFA boosted things up a bit but it was about it.

Solo tanking killed all the spin-off movies they had planned because no one wanted to go see a movie about how Han Solo became Han Solo that 1) was plagued by very public production fumbles, 2) came out in loving May, and 3) came out five months after the last big tent pole Star Wars movie rather than a year later like the usual schedule. And even then, all it did was cause LucasFilm to take a gap year and rejigger all their movie plans into TV show plans (Mando started its life as Josh Trank's Boba Fett movie, FYI).

The inverse to your point is also true, just because you hated the Sequels doesn't mean everyone else does too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's kinda weird how long it took for them to start making GBS threads out a dozen Star Wars TV shows.