Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

TLJ and mostly ROS pretty much sank it ... People generally didn't like Star Wars again until Baby Yoda came onto the scene.

That's some serious magic there, considering everyone was BABY YODA 4 LYFE before ROS was even released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

It's kinda weird how long it took for them to start making GBS threads out a dozen Star Wars TV shows.
They were committed more to films, but after the disaster of Solo and the issues with Rise of Skywalker, they changed course

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's kinda weird how long it took for them to start making GBS threads out a dozen Star Wars TV shows.

Yeah, the anthology movies that got more or less officially canned were:

Boba Fett movie -> became The Mandalorian

Obi-Wan Kenobi movie -> became the Kenobi TV show

Young Yoda movie -> became Baby Yoda

Solo Sequel -> Okay, you got me, that one's deader than dead

Rogue Squadron movie -> ...became the Rogue Squadron movie

Rian Johnson's trilogy -> ...is still in production, despite what QAnon, But For Movies wants you to think

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sash! posted:

That's some serious magic there, considering everyone was BABY YODA 4 LYFE before ROS was even released.

Time has ceased to exist for a year so I got my timelines mixed up.

E: Also watched ep1 of Lower Decks and this should be a good. Hopefully the pacing slows a bit down tho - that was a bit manic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yet they never seem to commit to making a Star Trek show for Star Trek's core demographic, women

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Time has ceased to exist for a year so I got my timelines mixed up.

E: Also watched ep1 of Lower Decks and this should be a good. Hopefully the pacing slows a bit down tho - that was a bit manic.

Lower Decks evens out by like episode 3 or 4. Stick with it, it gets really good by the time it's over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vintersorg posted:

It does. The pilot is a bit nuts but it finds its groove pretty quickly.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
What's the best way to watch Lower Decks in Canada? I see it's on something called crave, is that it?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Boxturret posted:

What's the best way to watch Lower Decks in Canada? I see it's on something called crave, is that it?

NordVPN is running offers constantly

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I see.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Crave is usually bundled with most Canadian cable subscriptions. Go it its homepage, click the Sign In button and select "through my TV provider" and you'll be guided through the login process.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Crave is usually bundled with most Canadian cable subscriptions. Go it its homepage, click the Sign In button and select "through my TV provider" and you'll be guided through the login process.

Oh I'll have to try that, thanks!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

HopperUK posted:

Trek youtubers I enjoy are Steve Shives and Jesse Gender. Neither of them is chuddy. It's always a matter of taste with youtubers though so no promises.

SF Debris is always good, although some of his older reviews throw out some unfortunate language because 00's Internet Culture. He's remastering some of them to get rid of that though

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
So I started watching enterprise again for the first time since it first aired and it's actually good?!?! Maybe Picard and disco have just set the bar so low that even this seems well written but I'm enjoying it.

It seems a lot more genuine than the modern offerings. Like someone who enjoyed star trek wrote it.

Although one thing I've noticed, that I didn't pick up on the first time watching it, is that it's easily the horniest trek. Clearly written with one hand.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

Yet they never seem to commit to making a Star Trek show for Star Trek's core demographic, women

You got "Sub Rosa", what more do you want

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Butternubs posted:

So I started watching enterprise again for the first time since it first aired and it's actually good?!?! Maybe Picard and disco have just set the bar so low that even this seems well written but I'm enjoying it.

It seems a lot more genuine than the modern offerings. Like someone who enjoyed star trek wrote it.

Although one thing I've noticed, that I didn't pick up on the first time watching it, is that it's easily the horniest trek. Clearly written with one hand.

Enterprise was Rick Berman at his most sexual predator-est.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t want to live in a world where Spock 2 isn’t canon

Lower Decks mentioned it so it's canon now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1362506506135105541

Glad this account is still finding work.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlICZxozZQ

:stonk:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This is what causes World War III

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's me, I'm the old man.

I think my favorite trek video of theirs is Mike explaining why William Shatner hates them and begging him to please stop and begging their fans to not bother him because he just can't take it if Captain Kirk hates him

Yeah, I'm another old man, most of my reasons for disliking discovery, and picard, is because of the way it is designed from the ground up. My friend also feels the same way, and RLM really strikes a cord.

I really really don't want another action shlock star trek, i mean if you like it that is nice, but I would call season 3 of discovery bearable, but once again, like if you don't like michael burnham as a character, you basically have no reason to watch the show. I like almost everyone BUT her.

The nonbinary trill for example, got a tleast some characterization and i would have taken those 20 minutes over the entire "vulcans + romulans can't tell the federation why its FTL netwokr was bad" scene

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m just not a fan of the “we have CGI now so we can spin and fly the camera every which way so even a simple establishing shot feels like a theme park ride” style of direction that took over film/tv about 10-15 years ago.

Which is how I’m sure my grandparents felt when sitcoms stopped being obviously filmed by three cameras in front of a live audience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would enjoy the newer stuff more if they actually filmed a script that wasn't a first draft

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
action in stars trek sucks unless its specificlaly something like whales breaching out of the water with happieness

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

action in stars trek sucks unless its specificlaly something like Kirk drop-kicking off a wall except it's with his rear end, not his feet

FTFY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

yes. this is also good. :hmmyes:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TUR.
BO.
LIFTS.

https://youtu.be/17Mu-lyFTWs

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wait, those turbolifts are supposed to be in Discovery? I thought they were in some alien space station. Where the gently caress are those cavernous voids in the ship schematic?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait, those turbolifts are supposed to be in Discovery? I thought they were in some alien space station. Where the gently caress are those cavernous voids in the ship schematic?

DISCO

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish one of the future upgrades allowed DISCO to fulfil its destiny by replacing the middle saucer bit with a magnificent glittering disco ball

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Brawnfire posted:

I wish one of the future upgrades allowed DISCO to fulfil its destiny by replacing the middle saucer bit with a magnificent glittering disco ball

bring back the Star trek the motion picture uniforms and have disco dance offs for diplomatic relations.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 19, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bones’ disco medallion is timeless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gonz posted:

Bones’ disco medallion is timeless.

"It's actually a locket. It holds an image of the only person I ever loved. She died..."

"Oh... poo poo... I'm sorry, really?"

"Nah." *pops open medallion and hooks a pinky nail of coke to his nose* "Wanna bump?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Axe-man posted:

bring back the Star trek the motion picture uniforms and have disco dance offs for diplomatic relations.

Computer: Star Trek, disco... very :grin:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Is TAS official canon or are you supposed to view at as an 'on the side' thing.

For a while, the official policy was 'noncanon, except for the good episode with spock and time travel, that one is canon'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

For a while, the official policy was 'noncanon, except for the good episode with spock and time travel, that one is canon'.

They really should have extended the 'The good episodes are canon' policy to all series tbh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Again, I refuse to live in a world where Spock’s Brain and The Royale aren’t canon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Lower Decks evens out by like episode 3 or 4. Stick with it, it gets really good by the time it's over.

I heard a lot of people saying that and, after finishing the season, I can say that it never got particularly good. It felt like the writers weren't really interested in doing any characterization and it shows in a lot of places.

Like episode 6, for instance. We're introduced to a new guy, Fletcher, and get a brief character introduction with a few quick incidents

>He hangs out with the crew and does the same engine nerd poo poo they're into
>When Mariner fucks up, Fletcher solves the immediate problem and smooth things over with an officer so she doesn't get in trouble
>Described as a "like a natural peace negotiator," "always getting boimler out of trouble at the academy"
>Offers to do extra work shift so Boimler can go see a concert

Okay, so they've sketched out a guy who is well-liked, quick-thinking, hardworking, and sociable.

Then the second half of the episode relies on that characterization being totally inaccurate, and actually he's a slacker that everyone has been covering for the entire time, and he's also so dumb and lazy that he plugged his brain into a random USB port because, "the computer's smart. Maybe it can make me smart," which causes the problem of the week. But it isn't treated as a reveal that he's been hiding a secret or something, it's just taken as a given that of course this guy has always had the brain of a pakled and everyone resents him.

I actually rewound just to see if I had missed something, but nah, the scriptwriters just pulled a 180 for no reason

Similarly, despite being main cast members, the orion girl and the cyborg guy are totally interchangeable and have the same personality, having the wacky ability to commit incredibly acts of violence by accident. I honestly can't think of any differences between them that aren't surface level 'has an eye thing instead of green skin' or 'works in engineering instead of medbay', or 'unintentionally created a horrible abomination that was hologram instead of dog'.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 19, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I heard a lot of people saying that and, after finishing the season, I can say that it never got particularly good. It felt like the writers weren't really interested in doing any characterization and it shows in a lot of places.

Like episode 6, for instance. We're introduced to a new guy, Fletcher, and get a brief character introduction with a few quick incidents

>He hangs out with the crew and does the same engine nerd poo poo they're into
>When Boimler fucks up, Fletcher solves the immediate problem and smooth things over with an officer so boimler doesn't get in trouble
>Described as a "like a natural peace negotiator," "always getting boimler out of trouble at the academy"
>Offers to do extra work shift so Boimler can go see a concert

Okay, so they've sketched out a guy who is well-liked, quick-thinking, hardworking, and sociable.

Then the second half of the episode relies on that characterization being totally inaccurate, and actually he's a slacker that everyone has been covering for the entire time, and he's also so dumb and lazy that he plugged his brain into a random USB port because, "the computer's smart. Maybe it can make me smart," which causes the problem of the week. But it isn't treated as a reveal that he's been hiding a secret or something, it's just taken as a given that of course this guy has always had the brain of a pakled and everyone resents him.

I actually rewound just to see if I had missed something, but nah, the scriptwriters just pulled a 180 for no reason

Similarly, despite being main cast mehmbers, the orion girl and the cyborg guy are totally interchangeable and have the same personality, having the wacky ability to commit incredibly acts of violence by accident. I honestly can't think of any differences between them that aren't surface level 'has an eye thing instead of green skin' or 'works in engineering instead of medbay', or 'unintentionally created a horrible abomination that was hologram instead of dog'.

Largely agreed, it is not written like a funny episode of Star Trek, it is written like a b-tier adult cartoon with fan service namedrops. It has its moments but do far its nothing special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

It may not be canon, but there's also no canon saying it didn't happen.