Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/PaulHembo/status/1362395192242958342?s=19

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Manfred and other owners must be furious how blatantly the Padres are blowing up their carefully curated “poor small market owners” narrative.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1362221827230232577

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/boragirl63/status/1362247776508215296?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The minor league schedules were just released, and while AAA starts April 6th, both the AA and A levels are being pushed back to May 4th

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

already gone

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

already gone

It was just a standard rear end tweet expressing their mad respect for REAL American workers that don't get paid unlike these greedy sportsball players

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Chamale posted:

Since 1900, the youngest players with an OPS+ of 150 or more after two seasons:

5. Dick Allen
4. Ted Williams
3. Stan Musial
2. Fernando Tatis Jr.
1. Mike Trout

Dick"the man" Williams Trout Jr.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

Has there ever been a guaranteed contract that long for that much money in major sports? The NHL gives out long rear end deals all the time but never for that amount. The NBA gives out a ton of money but over the short term.

Good for Tatis but if he blows a knee out in year two... yikes.

Both NHL and NBA have max contract amount and lengths in their CBAs. NBA is 4 for FAs/5 for re-signing and NHL is 7/8.

The longest NHL deal was Ilya Kovalchuck’s $100 million/15 yr deal in 2010 which triggered the league adding the max length in the next CBA. Deal wound up getting cut short due to him “retiring” to play in Russia and lots of shenanigans occurred. The most money is Alex Ovechkin $124/13 which ends after this year. Connor McDavid’s $100/8 is the biggest deal under current rules and as the 24 year-old undisputed best player in the game it’s unlikely to be topped any time soon.

The biggest NBA deal is simple as it’s just Giannis getting $228/5 this past offseason.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

already gone

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
thank god that wasn't lost to the sands of time

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Thank god y’all let me know what that dude thinks here, I hadn’t checked Twitter yet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Welp

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1362478505598939136?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blake Snell is still thinking about Game 6

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1362484025294659586

Gotta think his starts vs LA will be must-watch this summer

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

pseudodragon posted:

Both NHL and NBA have max contract amount and lengths in their CBAs. NBA is 4 for FAs/5 for re-signing and NHL is 7/8.

The longest NHL deal was Ilya Kovalchuck’s $100 million/15 yr deal in 2010 which triggered the league adding the max length in the next CBA. Deal wound up getting cut short due to him “retiring” to play in Russia and lots of shenanigans occurred. The most money is Alex Ovechkin $124/13 which ends after this year. Connor McDavid’s $100/8 is the biggest deal under current rules and as the 24 year-old undisputed best player in the game it’s unlikely to be topped any time soon.

The biggest NBA deal is simple as it’s just Giannis getting $228/5 this past offseason.

To expand on this, because it's funny, and baseball fans may not know.

With the implementation of the cap system in 2005, teams started to realize that they could circumvent a larger cap hit by adding a few years at the end of a deal. So, a salary of $8m could be halved each year until it reached the absolute bottom, usually at $1m. The Kovalchuk deal was when the NHL finally had to step in, because before the 15/100m, it was 17/102m. Kovalchuk would have earned 550K in the final five seasons, and ended when he was 44.

Now, I believe the max is 8 years if it's a free agent signing with the team they played with the previous season, and 7 if they go to a new team.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cubs signed Brandon Workman to...help their bullpen, presumably?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There's also a bunch of salary variability rules now, so contacts can only drop by x% year over year and the front half and back half of contracts need to be balanced in specific ways.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mike_V posted:

The Cubs sign a guy who used to be pretty good to close games every year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mike_V posted:

Cubs entire strategy this offseason has been to :rolldice: on guys who sucked rear end in 2020 but were good before that, and hope they bounce back. This also includes like 3/4ths of their existing roster.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

A's signed Trevor Rosenthal for $11M. Came back from control issues and TJS to have a great year last year (standard disclaimer about 2020 sample size). They also signed Sergio Romo and Yusmeiro Petit. Should be a fun bullpen.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1362470700343255041

I miss and love Aaron Loup

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
BUFFALO BLUE JAYS ARE BACK BABY

https://twitter.com/ByMHarrington/status/1362428163901566976

https://twitter.com/Minor_Leaguer/status/1362459347222151168

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

A's signed Trevor Rosenthal for $11M. Came back from control issues and TJS to have a great year last year (standard disclaimer about 2020 sample size).

Holy poo poo he got 11m for a career year in a pandemic small sample size year of... 23 innings! That's actually insane. Good for him.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1362492213020753928

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nooooooo

Yu cut his beautiful mane

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I forgot those fucks got Blake Snell. I don't know if the Rockies, Diamondbacks and Giants could conglomerate a team as talented as either the Dodgers or the Padres.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The Athletics kept telling agents they were broke and then handed out $11M for a closer. :psyduck:

Also no one is going to sign Puig, are they?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm going to assume that between missing all of 2020, his middling production over the last couple years, his temperament, and the fact that he's currently being sued for sexual assault and battery all add up to nobody being interested.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spoeank posted:

I forgot those fucks got Blake Snell. I don't know if the Rockies, Diamondbacks and Giants could conglomerate a team as talented as either the Dodgers or the Padres.
as long as the year isn't divisible by 2, the Giants aren't even going to try. And if it is, they don't have to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m pretty confident that Puig never plays in MLB again

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Trevor Bauer doesn't know how much white shoe firms charge for a partners time these days, huh? $500 will get you a bit less than an hour from a first year associate. Heck, in my small time burg we've got attorneys billing at that much per hour.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

General Bullshit posted:

The Athletics kept telling agents they were broke and then handed out $11M for a closer. :psyduck:

Also no one is going to sign Puig, are they?

Apparently some of the Rosenthal deal is deferred.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hey Cubs fans, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come to the game tomorrow. So if you could be here around gametime, that would be great, m'kay? Oh, and I almost forgot, uh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too, kay? We lost some games this week and ah, we sorta need to play catch up.
______________/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Hey Cubs fans, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come to the game tomorrow. So if you could be here around gametime, that would be great, m'kay? Oh, and I almost forgot, uh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too, kay? We lost some games this week and ah, we sorta need to play catch up.
______________/

I loved this dude growing up because i also had glasses that took up 1/3 the surface area of my face.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

OOTP 21 is $5 right now. What does it do better than 18?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jesus Christ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bees x1000 posted:

OOTP 21 is $5 right now. What does it do better than 18?

Gacha games

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’s insane to see the Padres actually going for it. Good for them. I hope they go the distance. Watching the Nats win it all was an incredible ride and I hope every baseball fan gets to experience that happiness once in their lives.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

I loved this dude growing up because i also had glasses that took up 1/3 the surface area of my face.

Same, but Chris Sabo, my RecSpecs were hot poo poo in Little League.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1362527209949437964

First time the Giants have even gone to arbitration since 2003 with A.J. Pierzynski. Why the hell are they finally choosing the silver slugger to go against over 650,000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The only bummer about the Padres being so good now is that with the current wild card format, it is highly unlikely the Dodgers and Padres could meet in the NLCS instead of the DS. It would require another team outside the division to have the best record in the NL, which is nearly impossible with how good these two teams are and how bad the rest of the NL West is.

I want like 3 straight years of Dodgers-Padres NLCS matchups until the rest of the country is as sick of it as we all were Yankees-Red Sox ALCS back in the aughts.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 19, 2021