Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Random question. Does anyone know if the orientation of the Scythe Fuma2 actually make a difference. Not taking about intake/exhaust. But the actual orientation of the cooler. One side has more fins than the other and has a cut out for large ram modules. Should that always be on the ram side or does it not really matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CyberPingu posted:

Random question. Does anyone know if the orientation of the Scythe Fuma2 actually make a difference. Not taking about intake/exhaust. But the actual orientation of the cooler. One side has more fins than the other and has a cut out for large ram modules. Should that always be on the ram side or does it not really matter?

I think it's only an issue regarding physical dimensions and compatibility. Actually what you described is not the 'standard' orientation - I think the cut out on the bottom of the thicker side of the heatsink is to clear the I/O shield/VRM heatsink. If you were to install it with the thicker block over the RAM, I don't think you'd be able to fit another fan on that side unless you moved the PSU shroud to the position behind the front panel, rather than the default on the side. From googling there's plenty of people that have done it this way round though, in order to get the extra fan on there.

Edit: from looking at their official sites, they always have it oriented with the thicker block towards the back of the case and the extra cut out is to clear large RAM that you might have on the other side of the motherboard.

CPU thermals are totally fine in my case though so I can't really see the point. Also I like seeing the RAM, with the cooler in reverse orientation it's going to jut out a lot more into the case and cover all that part of the board up.

That has made me look and realise though that it would be pretty easy in my build to move the PSU shroud to the front and that might have an appreciable effect on the airflow from my FE 3080 exhaust, giving it a clear path to the top exhaust fan whereas at the moment it's half blocked by the bottom of the PSU and the thick cables coming out of it. Maybe something I'll tinker with when I get the new fans I ordered to replace the stock two I have as bottom intake atm.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 18, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Yeha my PSU is front mounted as I didn't see the point in having it side/back mounted and restricting cable movement.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

gently caress.

I didn't realise each N12a came with a cable splitter.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Some Goon posted:

Looks like it attaches to the chassis in some way there.

Or maybe a cutout for a psu or hdd bay.

That's for the OCP3 slot, basically for a NIC daughterboard.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

gently caress.

I didn't realise each N12a came with a cable splitter.

I have so many splitters, extensions, and resistors after buying 4 Noctua fans.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I have so many splitters, extensions, and resistors after buying 4 Noctua fans.

Yeah, I bought a pack off of Amazon before I bought the fans not realising the fans came with them

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Here's a small pc I built recently that turned out pretty well, although it's still a work in progress as I decide what egpu to use. It's a bit different from many of the other cases here, in a slightly different direction.

I have a shelf that's fairly small I wanted to find a small pc for, and wanted it to have thunderbolt so I could more easily add an egpu. I suppose I had a certain minimalist look l was after too.

A few years ago I picked up the case, a Wesena itx:

(that's a slightly different revision, but mine is essentially the same).

It's exactly six liters, or about a third the volume of an nr200. It wasn't until quite recently that itx boards were generally available that have thunderbolt 3, which I wanted to more easily add an egpu. So it just sat there for a while until boards were available.

A few months ago I got the new Asrock z490 itx, which does have a tb3 port. I went w/ Intel for compatibility w/ some of the software I wanted to run, although there's an amd version as well.

(Pardon the green placemat, I was mostly just documenting the build w/ these)

The case doesn't have room for a conventional power supply, so I got an hdplex400 dc / ac converter, and that's paired via a barrel jack to a high output laptop power supply. I'd never used one of these before and imo it's pretty cool. The power brick supplies enough output that it could easily run a 2060 or so, it's specced for 400 watts obviously. I'm not generating anywhere near that much power draw, as I went w/ an egpu instead. Because of the somewhat unusual design of the case, a few of the sata power cables included w/ the power supply were just barely long enough, but otherwise it's been great.

Oh it has an 10700t installed by the way; was the fastest low-energy cpu that was reasonably priced and I could find, and got a good deal on it. One other limitation of the case is that, since it's only ~4 inches tall, you can't run a full size graphics card with it. But I went egpu w/ this, and wanted it to be energy efficient, so there's no huge graphics card and the extra height isn't needed here. It does have ample space for a one or two slot graphics card, and has a low-profile 7750 in at the moment.

One other neat, kind of weird thing is how the hard drives attach. The cpu cooler is about 1u so that you can install the hd piece over it. It fits 2 2.5 (although just designed for 1 officially), and one 3.5. The board also has 2 nvme slots, and the one on the back has a 1 tb microcenter drive installed. So you could just take the whole drive cage out and run it with two m2 drives and put a 2.5 or two in there without it.

One thing I hadn't checked and lucked out on a bit is the riser w/ the sata ports there - it just barely clears the drive cage, but thankfully it fits fine

Also have an 570 egpu at the moment (not pictured), but the performance isn't quite where I want it yet so I've been working on that, hence the work in progress. I'd kind of like a reset switch and one more led on front, but otherwise yeah. It's been fun, I like how it turned out so far.

e: updated images

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 24, 2021

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Pretty cool new case from Lian-li, their take on an FormD T1 style case. I'd prefer full side mesh panels but more ITX options is always a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmFEwdchnoE

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

Pretty cool new case from Lian-li, their take on an FormD T1 style case. I'd prefer full side mesh panels but more ITX options is always a good thing

Ok, the hotswap slot blew my loving mind.

I'm going to watch this case with great interest, though I doubt it'll push me off my Ncase platform. I'm pretty happy with how my 2x radiator build worked out, even if I'm probably going to drop the EK block for a thinner Bykski block to get some more airflow on the secondary radiator.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 19, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So annoyingly, you can't run the scythe Fuma2 as a 3 fan cooler in the nr200p unless you have really low profile RAM

So, guess I'll either give up on that dream or hunt for low profile ram.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sphyre posted:

that actually looks really nice, and the hotswap ssd is a feature all cases that make you mount drives in the front should have.

but i ain't bouncing off my SM580 any time soon. i don't think i'll ever get another case that has tg panels again cause i give no shits about aesthetics.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Dunno what the gently caress I did earlier, maybe just redoing the thermal paste but now the 3900X is idling at 26C, which is the lowest I've had it.

This is undervolted to 1.075 and clock bumped to 3.95Ghz

Edit. Ran the blender classroom render, it just went over 50C at the end so ran for 6min on full load without topping 50C

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 19, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Dunno what the gently caress I did earlier, maybe just redoing the thermal paste but now the 3900X is idling at 26C, which is the lowest I've had it.

This is undervolted to 1.075 and clock bumped to 3.95Ghz

Edit. Ran the blender classroom render, it just went over 50C at the end so ran for 6min on full load without topping 50C

Could have been mounting pressure or too little paste. But hey, if it works it works!

I need to honestly do this adjustment to my own.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Could have been mounting pressure or too little paste. But hey, if it works it works!

I need to honestly do this adjustment to my own.

Possibly, if anything there was too much paste.

Also ffs Asus Rogs lovely aura RGB poo poo that won't go away

Set to the option that should turn it off in bios and it only turns on when my PC is off.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Possibly, if anything there was too much paste.

Also ffs Asus Rogs lovely aura RGB poo poo that won't go away

Set to the option that should turn it off in bios and it only turns on when my PC is off.

Too much paste tends to not be much of a problem if the tech weenies on YouTube are anything to go by. Content warning, paste horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

I'll have to check my UEFI and see if I can find the setting I used. I actually turned mine back on and set it to blue-white clinic lighting, since I felt guilty for having a GPU block with LEDs in it and not using them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Too much paste tends to not be much of a problem if the tech weenies on YouTube are anything to go by. Content warning, paste horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

I'll have to check my UEFI and see if I can find the setting I used. I actually turned mine back on and set it to blue-white clinic lighting, since I felt guilty for having a GPU block with LEDs in it and not using them.

The setting is supposed to be "stealth mode" which turns everyhting off. It works through one reboot cycle but seems to switch itself on after that. Might be a bug or something idk

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if GN ran that test again with Grizzly it'd behave the same. I've removed noctua coolers after using it and it hasn't squished much at all, applicator lines still visible, so high and low spots.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Warmachine posted:

The A12x15s do good work. It's a shame you couldn't get an FE. The FE heatsink is really fantastic with the Ncase's setup, since the wide body fins in the center of the card take advantage of the direct airflow very well.

Yeah it's really incredible how well they work together, my 3080 FE often doesn't even hit 70C under full load which is around 5C lower than it ran in a full sized P400A with three fans.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I was thinking of getting a new laptop for my HTPC in my media rack but since it doesn't need a screen or a powerful GPU I stumbled across these tiiny little PC's.

Specifically the Asus PN50. Are they capable of handling 4k hdr movies? (PN50 > AVR > HDR TV)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

I was thinking of getting a new laptop for my HTPC in my media rack but since it doesn't need a screen or a powerful GPU I stumbled across these tiiny little PC's.

Specifically the Asus PN50. Are they capable of handling 4k hdr movies? (PN50 > AVR > HDR TV)

I looked it over and you should be good to go; they're using the new amd integrated gpus so it'd actually be fully capable of decent gaming as well. You'd have fine playback of 4k hdr with that. Note that you can buy either kits where you have to add the storage, ram and os yourself, but they also sell completed builds. Looks fairly nice tbh

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
That's handy, I can use some of my old parts. All I should need to get is a bluetooth mouse and keyboard :)

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Just finished putting up a Ghost S1 setup last week but the CPU temps is a little concerning. I'm using the Noctua LH-12 Ghost edition to cool a Ryzen 3600 (even bought a loving Kryonaut paste) and almost immediately at boot the temps hover around 58-68 C with highs of 71 and a low of 49.

Is this as good as it gets with low profile air cooling? I also bought another Noctua A12x25 so I can have two up top as exhaust then move the A12x15 to the bottom but I'm not sure if that will have much of an impact considering the rest of the parts are cool and it's just the CPU that's hot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That’s...pretty good. I get a little warmer (like 73C) when running my i7 8700 undervolted with a NH-L12S

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Okay, I'm guessing the 3600 just runs hot normally (coming from about a year of the 2600 and then Intel for the rest of my life)? I guess I'm just puzzled why normal everyday tasks draw this much juice/heat and it scares me how bad it's going to get when I actually do any gaming or encoding.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
You know, apologies. I misread the original post and miscommunicated in my reply. Are those the temps you get from just farting around on the internet and/or idle on the desktop? 73C is something I get when playing Cyberpunk and having everything running on full load. I'm assuming you've already tried reseating the heatsink?

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't be on SA with this bad of a headache.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah the 3600 is not power hungry and not a particularly hot processor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is there a standardized air cool setup recommendation for the NR200? I'm willing to spend the money on Noctua fans because I like the poop color. I'm assuming 4x120mm case fans is overkill if I'm just using a Ryzen 5600x/1660ti?

I'm also thinking of getting the Thermaltake Tower 100 instead because it can use normal ATX power supplies so I'd be able to just use my current one. But on the other hand the case looks like a fugly black popcorn machine.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 28, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there a standardized air cool setup recommendation for the NR200? I'm willing to spend the money on Noctua fans because I like the poop color. I'm assuming 4x120mm case fans is overkill if I'm just using a Ryzen 5600x/1660ti?

I'm also thinking of getting the Thermaltake Tower 100 instead because it can use normal ATX power supplies so I'd be able to just use my current one. But on the other hand the case looks like a fugly black popcorn machine.

2x top fans as exhaust

Cpu running as exhaust is the standard "optimised" flow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So just all exhaust? Doesn't that get dusty?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

So just all exhaust? Doesn't that get dusty?

Not that I've found so far unless your room is particularly dusty.

https://youtu.be/HcZxU_wlhB0

These guys do a really good run down of the actual numbers.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Mu Zeta posted:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/881894...k=1&bes=1&col=1

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

what's the preferred AM4 socket itx mobo with good features that's under 200$?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have the MSI MPG B550i and have no complaints. But it retails for $199 on amazon right now so that’ll push it over $200.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Marzzle posted:

Every b550 ITX board has a caveat: the Gigabyte Aorus is missing a front USB C header but is otherwise the best value.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you want a B550 board that gives you most of the B550 benefits (including front panel USB-C) the ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax is generally the cheapest option. It's ~$195 right now, but seemingly once a month or so it drops down to $170. If you don't need front panel USB-C but still want the other features that take full advantage of the B550, the Gigabyte Aorus is usually in the $180-190 range (though it doesn't seem to ever get cheaper than that). If you just want a cheap B550 board, there's the ASRock B550M-ITX/ac for $130, but IIRC specs/feature wise it's not much different than the B450 boards.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Marzzle posted:

Gigabyte B550 I if you don’t care about front USB C

ASRock Phantom Gaming if you do.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Caveat: the ASRock Phantom Gaming has those 90°-turned SATA ports, which can ruin your day if you have SATA drives in your build like me. The best solution is of course to just have M.2

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CaptainPsyko posted:

Gigabyte B550 I if you don’t care about front USB C

It's the board I wanted, and was on discount too when I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Caveat: the ASRock Phantom Gaming has those 90°-turned SATA ports, which can ruin your day if you have SATA drives in your build like me. The best solution is of course to just have M.2

It also doesn't have bios flashback which is probably the bigger issue.