Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Aphrodite posted:

Kind of disappointed magaman was a typo.

the one with a red hat is actually protoman, easy mistake to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's the shameless self-indulgence that I really admire about naming everything something overly poignant and sentimental. I mean as in Bungie/343, not in-universe. It takes a certain element of wit to pull that off and have it be endearing instead of cringeworthy and I think they did a great job of toeing that line while only crossing it for laughs or when it actually is poignant and sentimental. One of my favorite chapter name gags comes in the first act of Halo 2, good ol Johnson The Undying presents a big rear end tank, a big rear end gun, and says smugly "I know what the ladies like." The chapter name then proceeds to add to the joke by letting you know he's referring to the clear and obvious fact that "Ladies Like Armor Plating". Because really who doesn't like armor plating.

But then you play it again on a harder difficulty and you see that they gave a whole hell of a poo poo about making that chapter name be a proper extension of the joke:

To me, the REAL joke here is the demonstration of self-awareness: They bothered to spend ten extra lines of code and however many man-minutes to make it be slightly different but still funny. Caring enough to do that, itself, IS the joke even moreso than the actual one they wrote that's on your screen. That's part of why I think people admire the played-straight seriousness of Halo's world, is because that sentimentality is kind of intrinsic in the devs' writing and sense of humor. They're like, really good at it.

edit: Johnson is actually my favorite example I think. The game's own creators and the players loved the guy so much that they un-killed him after very explicitly killing him and didn't even bother to justify how or why in the main series, and then went on to make him an even more beloved and funny character.

An extension to that was the minor changes to cutscenes depending on the difficulty that they had throughout every Bungie Halo game, not sure about 343 Halos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyObiOiDoOY

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It's a little thing for a lot of different games at once but I like that whenever I turn on my Switch and play a modern Nintendo game, the music loving *rocks*. I don't even like Pokemon Sword/Shield but I think the soundtrack deserves an award.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Piggybacking onto Halo 2 chat, the instructions for the regular version of the game were written from a human viewpoint which makes sense since the person playing it is probably also a human. However, the collector's edition manual is written from the Covenant viewpoint, so it talks up how cool they are while generally talking down the human tech dismissively except multiplayer favorites like the shotgun and sniper where they're like "actually watch the gently caress out for this it will gently caress you up."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Please do not disrespect the Master Chief, he saved humanity. Thank you

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Biplane posted:

The secret ingredient was courage.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
lol I thought you made a typo and wrote Master Chef i'm a moron

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I respect you for letting it stand.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
When playing co-op, P1 is Master Chief and P2 is Master Chef

Alternate Answer: Mr Chief

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The fanon answer is that the other one is a spartan who was mentioned in the prequel novel as being aboard the ship but does not officially appear in the game. Not sure what the rationalization is in Halo 2

In 3 they leaned into the mid-2000s squad game trend so player 1 is chief, player 2 is arbiter, and players 3 and 4 have unique names and models (but no role in the story)

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
If you want to Fanon it, there's a bunch of other Spartans running around by the events of Halo 2 and you can't prove none of them made it to Earth somehow.

IIRC for 1 and 2 the official answer is "lol you're both master chief who cares"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Little known fact is that on player 2's screen the grenades are referred to as meatballs, and the Needler is marked as a spaghetti maker

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Biplane posted:

:patriot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40jdpzrpIps&t=242s

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

christmas boots posted:

The secret ingredient was courage.

Canonically it was luck

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have never been as hyped for a videogame as I was for Halo 3, and the insanely sick stuff they did, like Believe and ilovebees etc, was a big part of that hype. Very well made stuff.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Biplane posted:

I have never been as hyped for a videogame as I was for Halo 3, and the insanely sick stuff they did, like Believe and ilovebees etc, was a big part of that hype. Very well made stuff.

ilovebees was so cool

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

ilovebees was so cool

In retrospect it's a goddamn miracle that The Operator/Melissa/Durga's catchphrase of "wet the system" didn't have everyone calling it ilovepees

2004 was a more innocent time in some ways

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

christmas boots posted:

Little known fact is that on player 2's screen the grenades are referred to as meatballs, and the Needler is marked as a spaghetti maker

It's weird how nobody remembered P2 yelling "gabagool" after every head shot.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
wasn't Halo2 that they originally planned the Mauler weapon for? obviously that didnt work out... so they had Brutws use human shotguns. the PYF little thing is that Halo lore just rolled with it and explained that Brutes have a particulqr fondness for the particularly brutal and violent human weapons.

this is seen in one of the later levels when the Covenant schism is kicking off. Arbiter comes through a room Brute forces have been stockpiling weapons in. Amongst the Covenant gear you also find human rocket launchers, shotguns, and sniper rifles... all the weapons Brutes "respect" ha

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Doesn't sound that weird to me, considering how people would take "trophy" weapons during wars in real life. Sometimes the enemy just has a better gun than you, and you want one to play with too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
well, not weird to us, sure. we're human. wasn't the whole point in Halo that the Covenant deemed human weapons filthy and beneath them? i thought there was a bunch of lore stuff about Elites fighting bare-handed because they refused to sully themselves with human guns. that the Brutes have no qualms with it is something that makes other Elite side-eye them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Kind of disappointed magaman was a typo.
something something tasing balls Thunder Beam glitch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminds me of how in the first Resistance game you could play co-op through the story but they didn't justify it at all so the fan community started referring to P2 as "Imaginary Nathan Hale."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
which was weird because co-op P2 was a black man, so he's clearly not Hale. Insomniac absolutely bothered to give the second player a unique character model... they just did nothing with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I kinda like Halo Reach's thing, where you can just infer they're Noble Seven through Nine.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Biplane posted:

The Neill Blomkamp shorts for 3 were so cool. I almost forgot about ILoveBees, but I now remember
excitedly waiting for the next updates to find out more about the story.

PunkBoy has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Feb 19, 2021

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
That reminds me of my favorite part of Reach’s ending.

I think it’s the doctor or someone voice overs the end about Noble Six and their sacrifice and how everything was all because of you!..... getting cortana to the actually important guy.

Makes me smile every time I think about it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was the ilovebees ARG when Bungie still had Halo sort-of-kind-of set in the Marathon universe, or was it after they decided to fully make it its own thing, and just carried over the AI Rampancy idea?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Halo seemed so totally crazy at the time, like a guy I sat next to in a computer-oriented class failed out of it because he spent all class period every class watching physics videos of people playing with explosives and the Warthog, trying to blast it up on top of cliffs and stuff. That level of physics in an action game was really cool way back in the day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still reckon a huge part of Halo's charm that very few of its imitators (saying a lot considering it basically defined the next console generation) even tried to copy; the variety of enemies, each with its own signature weapons, behaviour, personality and role.

Sally posted:

well, not weird to us, sure. we're human. wasn't the whole point in Halo that the Covenant deemed human weapons filthy and beneath them? i thought there was a bunch of lore stuff about Elites fighting bare-handed because they refused to sully themselves with human guns. that the Brutes have no qualms with it is something that makes other Elite side-eye them.

Thing is that Elites are basically Klingons, they even have trouble post-schism because they'd been so used to being the Covenant's elite caste that they'd outsourced non-combat social roles elsewhere apparently, while Brutes seem to be more practically minded. Covenant tech is a bit all over the place because they don't actually understand it, and some human stuff is better or at least more well understood and fulfils roles their own stuff doesn't- iirc, their ship AIs are actually just pirate copies of human AIs with literal religious dogma added.

Apparently, the Brutes in particular are also one of the most recent additions to the Covenant, and had a more or less 21st century technology level but were also recovering from their own nuclear war. So they're still getting used to the new tech paradigm the Covenant uplifted them with, and haven't had the time to develop and optimise weapons specifically suited to their own strengths and preferred styles of combat, but human technology is presumably closer to what they're familiar with. They're also primate-analogues like humans, being basically killer space gorillas.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Halo seemed so totally crazy at the time, like a guy I sat next to in a computer-oriented class failed out of it because he spent all class period every class watching physics videos of people playing with explosives and the Warthog, trying to blast it up on top of cliffs and stuff. That level of physics in an action game was really cool way back in the day.

I remember very fondly a time when ragdoll physics was really gaining traction in gaming, and I think it was Unreal Tournament 2003 or 4 where there was this...deathball kind of game where you had to dunk a ball through a hoop. Dystopian future basketball essentially. And a lot of the levels had absurdly deep pits full of metal bars in them around the goals, so when you scored (you died instantly after scoring iirc) your ragdoll corpse would bounce limply down the hole from bar to bar making hilariously OTT sickening bone crunching noises for a solid 30 seconds.

Truly a great little thing in a game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jeza posted:

I remember very fondly a time when ragdoll physics was really gaining traction in gaming, and I think it was Unreal Tournament 2003 or 4 where there was this...deathball kind of game where you had to dunk a ball through a hoop. Dystopian future basketball essentially. And a lot of the levels had absurdly deep pits full of metal bars in them around the goals, so when you scored (you died instantly after scoring iirc) your ragdoll corpse would bounce limply down the hole from bar to bar making hilariously OTT sickening bone crunching noises for a solid 30 seconds.

Truly a great little thing in a game.

Physics engines are one of those things that games just never stopped having fun with and for good reason. Even Breath of the Wild plays with it a lot, and that's from Nintendo, who normally have very tight design.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
BF4 has absolutely absurd ragdolls

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

verbal enema posted:

BF4 has absolutely absurd ragdolls

I remember ragdolls so severe they caused the game to lag out on multiplayer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Was the ilovebees ARG when Bungie still had Halo sort-of-kind-of set in the Marathon universe, or was it after they decided to fully make it its own thing, and just carried over the AI Rampancy idea?

ILB was during the leadup to Halo 2, and IIRC it was fully divorced from Marathon by that point except for some conceptual carryovers, like Rampancy. Best part of the whole drat thing was when the arg team were sending out calls to various phones across the country, and if you answered you "helped decode" a piece of the story, but one of the calls was to a payphone in Florida at a time when a hurricane was fast approaching, and someone still hung around to answer it. The devs were like "Holy crap dude don't die for our stupid advertising game, get somewhere safe!"

there was some very early primitive social engagement/arg-like stuff during the development of Halo CE that did seem like it was going to tie in with Marathon, but ultimately was abandoned. I don't remember what form it took - I want to say weird emails to people in the Marathon fan community?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phy posted:

there was some very early primitive social engagement/arg-like stuff during the development of Halo CE that did seem like it was going to tie in with Marathon, but ultimately was abandoned. I don't remember what form it took - I want to say weird emails to people in the Marathon fan community?

Yes

By the time Halo was released it no longer had any connection to Marathon beyond a few visual easter eggs. In hindsight the letters were just directed at the largest and most focused Bungie fansite.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah, Halo 1&2 had a pretty big "tricking" community all about exploiting the game systems to do poo poo they weren't supposed to, like getting out of the level boundaries or abusing checkpoints to spawn 400 tanks and make the game start to collapse, or even just using grenades and physics exploits to traverse multiplayer levels in unintended ways. The first two games were made on a whirlwind schedule so they didn't have invisible barriers and optimization that the latter games did while still being well made enough that the game didn't just crash or lock up when something unexpected happened.

It was a fun, weird, time but Bungie was understandably less than thrilled about a whole viral video genre being dedicated to bugs in the game they made.

My specific favorite thing was the Scarab Gun. The Scarab wasn't a pilotable vehicle, it just moved along a set path, firing it weapon at set intervals. The gun was actually just a Plasma Rifle that fired a special beam, that would spawn in front of the Scarab and fire at its scripted time. With a well timed warthog jump, you could launch yourself into the air and grab the gun out of the sky, and use it for the rest of the level precisely once, accidentally blowing yourself up, and not being able to get the timing right to grab it a second time

Grunch Worldflower has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Feb 19, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah, Halo 1&2 had a pretty big "tricking" community all about exploiting the game systems to do poo poo they weren't supposed to, like getting out of the level boundaries or abusing checkpoints to spawn 400 tanks and make the game start to collapse, or even just using grenades and physics exploits to traverse multiplayer levels in unintended ways. The first two games were made on a whirlwind schedule so they didn't have invisible barriers and optimization that the latter games did while still being well made enough that the game didn't just crash or lock up when something unexpected happened.

It was a fun, weird, time but Bungie was understandably less than thrilled about a whole viral video genre being dedicated to bugs in the game they made.

My specific favorite thing was the Scarab Gun. The Scarab wasn't a pilotable vehicle, it just moved along a set path, firing it weapon at set intervals. The gun was actually just a Plasma Rifle that fired a special beam, that would spawn in front of the Scarab and fire at its scripted time. With a well timed warthog jump, you could launch yourself into the air and grab the gun out of the sky, and use it for the rest of the level precisely once, accidentally blowing yourself up, and not being able to get the timing right to grab it a second time

Lol you fool

Edit: removing slur filled video

Len has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Feb 20, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Interesting that one of the steps, according to this guy, is "kill all the faggots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rydiafan posted:

Interesting that one of the steps, according to this guy, is "kill all the faggots".

Oof, uh I did not actually watch that entire clip. I originally learned about it from a show on either G4 or TechTV or G4TechTV

Edit: no slurs here up until the soccer ball. I stopped once he was gonna show me that

https://youtu.be/o6kq11ul1_o

Len has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Feb 20, 2021