Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Still chugging along with Renovation Realities. Did not expect to laugh this much, although I skip the episodes where it looks like a bathroom remodeling is leading to a divorce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trailer for "Kevin Can gently caress Himself"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pViCCPjRPjQ
I'm surprised the name stuck all the way to production. I was sure they were going to rename it at some point.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

Atlantis pre-Jason Momoa is practically a different show.

They tried so hard to make Lt Ford a thing for an entire season before giving up and just making a Teal'c like character.

Yeah, I guess I forgot Ford entirely. Which was kind of the problem with the character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

I was thinking today about how I get annoyed when a show I've been liking gets retooled halfway through its first season/between first and second. So I was wondering, has there been a show where being retooled actually made it better? The examples I can think of are all worse.

Legends of Tomorrow.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I'm surprised the name stuck all the way to production. I was sure they were going to rename it at some point.

That looks good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Worcester, Massachusetts is the perfect setting for that kind of sitcom. What an absolutely depressing place.

Too bad it doesn't star Erinn Hayes. Didn't she say that she auditioned for it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Annie Murphy was tremendous on Schitt's Creek and was memorable to me from a couple of small roles before that so I'm game to see her try and tackle something that weird.

Like I was kinda interested watching the trailer, but when I realized it was her I was looking for the premiere date.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm pretty sure they made decisions. I remember Damon Lindelof even talked about the intro and how pretty much everyone on the team didn't like it except for him so he decided to switch it up.

Leftovers season 1 was based on the book, so it was always going to have to come up with new ideas after that anyway.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I was thinking today about how I get annoyed when a show I've been liking gets retooled halfway through its first season/between first and second. So I was wondering, has there been a show where being retooled actually made it better? The examples I can think of are all worse.

Legends of Tomorrow had one of the worst first seasons of all time, then in season two they completely flipped the tone.

I guess The Last Ship kinda qualifies.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Annie Murphy was tremendous on Schitt's Creek and was memorable to me from a couple of small roles before that so I'm game to see her try and tackle something that weird.

Like I was kinda interested watching the trailer, but when I realized it was her I was looking for the premiere date.

:same:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Azhais posted:

Always Sunny?

Definitely a retooling. The style of humour and even some of the camera work is different; that, and there's less focus on trying to emulate The Shield's style of vérité. Season 2 onwards, the show was more of a joke machine.

Though, if we're talking retooling, the big one is Millennium. Three seasons, four different approaches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Killjoys got a pretty blatant retool for the better going into its second season after spending its first season having its lunch eaten by Dark Matter doing pretty much everything the same but better (Corporate dystopia, mercenary assholes stuck together on a ship, etc).

IRQ posted:

Yeah, I guess I forgot Ford entirely. Which was kind of the problem with the character.

Ford had a real problem being stuck as "the other guy" in the group with no identity of his own. Teyla managed to push out of being "female T'ealc" pretty well into her own character, and Ronan was just plain fun once Jason Momoa settled into the role.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Killjoys got a pretty blatant retool for the better going into its second season after spending its first season having its lunch eaten by Dark Matter doing pretty much everything the same but better (Corporate dystopia, mercenary assholes stuck together on a ship, etc).

What? Dark Matter sucked, and the end to Killjoy's first season rocked hard.

Edit: Though Dark Matter killed its lead, and his identical clone, off early in its second season. That's a pretty aggressive "yeah, that sucked" if ever I've seen one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dark Matter had an absolutely awful first season. Bad season-plot, bad directing and embarrassing action scenes. The Pilot especially.

It got better in season 2, it might even have been good in season 3. But season 1?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

What? Dark Matter sucked, and the end to Killjoy's first season rocked hard.

Edit: Though Dark Matter killed its lead, and his identical clone, off early in its second season. That's a pretty aggressive "yeah, that sucked" if ever I've seen one.

Dark Matter was relatively decent until it poo poo itself to death in the third season. Killjoy's first season is pretty aggressively mediocre in its grimdark serious writing when set side-by-side with Dark Matter (which it literally was, at least in Australia on a Saturday night). And yeah; Dark Matter also absolutely had its own retool for the better come its second season because having a wet blanket good-guy in the cast did absolutely nothing for it compared to a bunch of openly-violent crooks trying to make a go of this being (moderately) good redemption thing on their own.

Season 2 is when Killjoys gets much better overall in its storytelling and lighter general tone that gives the actors all room to show their range.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just replace "Dark Matter" with "Firefly" and that's what would have happened if it had gotten multiple seasons! :haw:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Legends of Tomorrow had one of the worst first seasons of all time, then in season two they completely flipped the tone.

I guess The Last Ship kinda qualifies.

The only thing The Last Ship qualifies for is the garbage dump that was a trash show made by and for trash people.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Office and Parks & Rec are exhibits 1 and 1a (and, coincidentally, both Mike Schur shows). Mannix did a pretty big 180 after its first season, as did Newhart, and both shows improved dramatically. Other examples would be arguably Happy Days, you can cheat and say Doctor Who, as well.

It's a season 2-3, not 1-2, shift, but Star Trek: The Next Generation's third season brought with it new uniforms, some revamped sets, the return of Gates McFadden, and an entirely new writing and production staff, and I think most people will say that's when the show became consistently watchable.

Oh, Seinfeld's first season--which I believe was titled The Seinfeld Chronicles--bears almost no resemblance to the rest of the series, it feels like a completely different show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just replace "Dark Matter" with "Firefly" and that's what would have happened if it had gotten multiple seasons! :haw:

To be fair, Simon was more than capable of showing backbone when he needed to with "I've temporarily paralyzed you and I want to make it clear that whatever you scheme, when you're on this table, you're safe. Understood? :toughguy:" and was actually growing a bit as a character dealing with the reality of living out in the boonies.

With Dark Matter One just sucked the air out of the room being a wet blanket fretting over every slightly-gray moral choice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first season of The Eric Andre show looked like they bought some cameras at Radioshack and filmed in a basement somewhere. The second season looks like an actual thing that's fit to air on TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Simon was more than capable of showing backbone when he needed to with "I've temporarily paralyzed you and I want to make it clear that whatever you scheme, when you're on this table, you're safe. Understood? :toughguy:" and was actually growing a bit as a character dealing with the reality of living out in the boonies.

I thought the implication was that Simon was always kind of like that. He was freaked out by people, not pragmatism.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
As a fan of mumbly little indie-feel shows, like Girls, High Maintenance, How To Make It In America, Baskets, Shrill, etc. I feel compelled to recommend Everyone Is Doing Great, airing on Hulu.

It's not the most amazing thing, but it's a very sweet and fun show about two struggling actors, made by two struggling actors playing heightend versions of themselves. They're quite likable though. It's also an extended pisstake of The Vampire Diaries.

Also it was funded by an indigogo campaign, which is kind of cool.

Edit: that money didn't extend to the music tho.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 19, 2021

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Too bad it doesn't star Erinn Hayes. Didn't she say that she auditioned for it?

Don't think so. She said she would be interested, but that she understood why they probably wouldn't want to do that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dark Matter was relatively decent until it poo poo itself to death in the third season. Killjoy's first season is pretty aggressively mediocre in its grimdark serious writing when set side-by-side with Dark Matter (which it literally was, at least in Australia on a Saturday night). And yeah; Dark Matter also absolutely had its own retool for the better come its second season because having a wet blanket good-guy in the cast did absolutely nothing for it compared to a bunch of openly-violent crooks trying to make a go of this being (moderately) good redemption thing on their own.

Season 2 is when Killjoys gets much better overall in its storytelling and lighter general tone that gives the actors all room to show their range.

In America Dark Matter and Killjoys also aired together on Friday nights. Personally I think Dark Matter could have used an even harder retool because the actors were all fine but the characters and setting didn't do them any good. The episode where they end up in the past (our present day) was probably the best one because it made the characters have to actually act like human beings.

Although another problem Dark Matter had was that their ambition outstripped their budget so the show kept writing narrative checks that their effects team couldn't cash. The third season was supposed to have this massive war going on but we never actually got to see it. Similar thing with the space Japan story where one of the characters becomes emperor of a bunch of small sets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Although another problem Dark Matter had was that their ambition outstripped their budget so the show kept writing narrative checks that their effects team couldn't cash. The third season was supposed to have this massive war going on but we never actually got to see it. Similar thing with the space Japan story where one of the characters becomes emperor of a bunch of small sets.

My favourite was setting up a bunch of future-predictions and knocking them all over like dominoes in a span of, I think it was, like half the season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

The first season of The Eric Andre show looked like they bought some cameras at Radioshack and filmed in a basement somewhere. The second season looks like an actual thing that's fit to air on TV.

I miss the s1 look, they were old as hell vintage cameras he procured but it’s just a pain in the rear end to shoot and edit for a gag that most people probably didn’t care about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite things about s1 of The Eric Andre Show was that the description they gave to TV providers said the premise was that it was a show that Eric was forced to host.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In America Dark Matter and Killjoys also aired together on Friday nights. Personally I think Dark Matter could have used an even harder retool because the actors were all fine but the characters and setting didn't do them any good. The episode where they end up in the past (our present day) was probably the best one because it made the characters have to actually act like human beings.

Never seeing a single thing, not even an emblem or flag, for space Japan's enemy was peak no budget.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1362855317218889728?s=19

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bad rear end

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is that the inspiration for the Arnold movie, or a different running man?

If so I had no idea that was a King novel

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, it was a King adaptation. Very loose adaptation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, we don't need to remake perfection.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

No, we don't need to remake perfection.

In fairness, it'll probably be a second adaptation of the book rather than a remake of the Arnie film. This could be great, I really enjoyed the book as a kid and the original film obviously rules.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
So how about that new episode of Servant huh

:catstare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

In fairness, it'll probably be a second adaptation of the book rather than a remake of the Arnie film. This could be great, I really enjoyed the book as a kid and the original film obviously rules.

Yeah, it is explicitly billed as an adaptation of the book, not a remake of the movie. The book was much more down to earth with the game taking place just out in America instead of an arena and the hunters were just regular guys plus cops with the general public encouraged to call in tips for prizes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure if South Park has just given up on doing actual seasons or what but they have another hour long special coming March 10th titled "The Vaccination Special" and from the description sounds like it is going to be Q comes to South Park.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The best Running Man adaptation is Super Smash TV, and will remain so no matter how good Edgar Wright's movie might be.

e: Has anyone cared about anything South Park has had to say in the past 15 or so years? Aren't they just known for their mild, smug, quasi-Libertarian takes these days?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 20, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I'm not sure if South Park has just given up on doing actual seasons or what but they have another hour long special coming March 10th titled "The Vaccination Special" and from the description sounds like it is going to be Q comes to South Park.

They do :airquote: short :airquote: seasons, but these specials are what they do instead of feature films, iirc...

edit: my wife was like "Q from Star Trek?" and I have never loved a woman or an idea more... :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Please please please keep the ending, I want to see how that goes over.