Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I'm so glad I got to see Shin Godzilla at all because I missed it in theatres, but I really would have loved to have seen it on the big screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Klowner posted:

Man I'm so glad I got to see Shin Godzilla at all because I missed it in theatres, but I really would have loved to have seen it on the big screen

It only played at a small number of theaters for only a few days if I recall correctly so it was hard to see that way. I had to wait until there was a US blu-ray which itself took a while.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm really glad a lot of people have been watching Shin Godzilla recently (I assume there was a re-release or it came out in 4K or something) because it rules so hard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got to see it in theaters except my experience was pretty bad because the theater had a weird setup and the chairs in front of my row were essentially office chair and the guy in front of me kept moving his back and forth, directly where subtitles were. This made it hard to read them, and Shin Godzilla has the fastest moving dialogue in a Japanese movie I've seen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

I'm really glad a lot of people have been watching Shin Godzilla recently (I assume there was a re-release or it came out in 4K or something) because it rules so hard.

I saw it a few years ago. It's one of my favorite movies of the decade. I've just been thinking about it a lot lately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope people are finding it in the Walmart Blu Ray bin for 7 bucks.

If not go diggin

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CPL593H posted:

I saw it a few years ago. It's one of my favorite movies of the decade. I've just been thinking about it a lot lately.

There's just been an odd amount of people on Twitter and now here talking about it. I'm gonna throw it on before bed because of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a very relevant film.

Also it’s the newest non American Godzilla flick and I think everyone is getting hyped for GvK.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

There's just been an odd amount of people on Twitter and now here talking about it. I'm gonna throw it on before bed because of it.

That's weird. I was thinking about it the other day when I was walking my dog and realized it's a lot like Veep but instead of elections and lovely politicians it's got a horrible monster laying waste to everything and killing and destroying lives.

But I guess there's not much difference there.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Whenever I watch any sort of movie with a modern military and some sort of monster, there's this annoying part of my brain that mutters "Okay, but in real life we'd just vaporise them". I attribute this to seeing Godzilla '98 as my first monster movie, where the struggle is basically to make the big guy come out so we can just hit him. Anyway, Shin Godzilla is the first movie I've seen that really convinced me we'd be hosed. There's no simple mistake, there's no technological fuckup, they give it their best shot to kill him and it doesn't even remotely work. That movie was made to cure me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kazzah posted:

Whenever I watch any sort of movie with a modern military and some sort of monster, there's this annoying part of my brain that mutters "Okay, but in real life we'd just vaporise them". I attribute this to seeing Godzilla '98 as my first monster movie, where the struggle is basically to make the big guy come out so we can just hit him. Anyway, Shin Godzilla is the first movie I've seen that really convinced me we'd be hosed. There's no simple mistake, there's no technological fuckup, they give it their best shot to kill him and it doesn't even remotely work. That movie was made to cure me.

That's one of many things I love about the movie. The scenes with Godzilla are actually scary and the ending is downright terrifying. Also they take a pretty good swipe at the US military.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

That's a cop out. The thing I mentioned above is a perfect example of her just being a needlessly hostile dipshit who is so loving fragile she's trying to smear some college kid over a comment she made about old movies.

I would prefer to not be accused of saying "Jews control all the media" the moment I point out criticising Israel often has political or profesional repercussions. If that happened to me on this forum from someone I generally respect I can't imagine what a half Palestinian woman who actually works in the industry dealt with.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I would prefer to not be accused of saying "Jews control all the media" the moment I point out criticising Israel often has political or profesional repercussions. If that happened to me on this forum from someone I generally respect I can't imagine what a half Palestinian woman who actually works in the industry dealt with.

Getting pissed off at possibly being slandered doesn't give her the right to be a complete rear end in a top hat to people. Talking down to and silencing a black woman who gave her some very polite constructive criticism and trying to gently caress up some kid's life because he dared to comment on something she said, without even naming her, on twitter is rear end in a top hat poo poo. She's an rear end in a top hat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think skwirl is talking about themself

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

Getting pissed off at possibly being slandered doesn't give her the right to be a complete rear end in a top hat to people. Talking down to and silencing a black woman who gave her some very polite constructive criticism and trying to gently caress up some kid's life because he dared to comment on something she said, without even naming her, on twitter is rear end in a top hat poo poo. She's an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not saying she was right I'm saying I understand why she flew off the handle. There's a bunch of poo poo I typed and deleted because I thought better of it and realized it would only make things worse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'm not saying she was right I'm saying I understand why she flew off the handle. There's a bunch of poo poo I typed and deleted because I thought better of it and realized it would only make things worse.

To be clear I wasn't trying to paint you with that brush and when I said "That's a cop out" I was talking about her not you. Yeah but she flew off the handle because of something completely unrelated and nowhere near as inflammatory as being called an anti-Semite. The thing she was making GBS threads her pants about is completely trivial.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CPL593H posted:

That's weird. I was thinking about it the other day when I was walking my dog and realized it's a lot like Veep but instead of elections and lovely politicians it's got a horrible monster laying waste to everything and killing and destroying lives.

But I guess there's not much difference there.

Yeah, turning the human parts of a Godzilla film into an episode of The Thick of It was extremely smart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

To be clear I wasn't trying to paint you with that brush and when I said "That's a cop out" I was talking about her not you. Yeah but she flew off the handle because of something completely unrelated and nowhere near as inflammatory as being called an anti-Semite. The thing she was making GBS threads her pants about is completely trivial.

I just suspect, and I making up reasons and excuses for someone I don't know, that she gets viciously attacked for reasonable opinions so constantly that when she has a completely dumb rear end opinion and gets some pushback she just instinctually goes into "gently caress You" mode.

Like if Huey P Newton is having a sit down with Nixon and J Edgar Hoover (I know the timeline doesn't fit, but just go with the metaphor) and 5 hours in they order pizza and Newton says some dumb bullshit like "extra pineapple on the pepperoni" and Nixon says it's a terrible pizza, Huey Newton is gonna react the same way as he did 4 hours ago when Nixon said black people aren't smart enough to vote.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I just suspect, and I making up reasons and excuses for someone I don't know, that she gets viciously attacked for reasonable opinions so constantly that when she has a completely dumb rear end opinion and gets some pushback she just instinctually goes into "gently caress You" mode.

Like if Huey P Newton is having a sit down with Nixon and J Edgar Hoover (I know the timeline doesn't fit, but just go with the metaphor) and 5 hours in they order pizza and Newton says some dumb bullshit like "extra pineapple on the pepperoni" and Nixon says it's a terrible pizza, Huey Newton is gonna react the same way as he did 4 hours ago when Nixon said black people aren't smart enough to vote.

Huey is right on both counts though

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, turning the human parts of a Godzilla film into an episode of The Thick of It was extremely smart.

I also loved that they did a body horror thing with Godzilla itself. It's very unsettling to even look at and it seems like the thing is just in constant pain from even existing. It first comes out looking like a deformed fetus and eventually grows into what looks like a charred tumor.

Skwirl posted:

I don't have the energy for this.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

I don't have the energy for this.

You're right, this is poo poo I should have typed out and then deleted. Mods please give me a probe if I bring up anything about this again unprompted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

I Before E posted:

Huey is right on both counts though

I like pineapple and pepperoni too, it just seemed like the obvious choice for an unpopular but ultimately inconsequential opinion.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

You're right, this is poo poo I should have typed out and then deleted. Mods please give me a probe if I bring up anything about this again unprompted.

I'm not pissed off at you or think you're a dick or anything. I just want to opt out of this whole conversation now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

On a lighter note. Rush Limbaugh remains dead and we're all better off for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

On a lighter note. Rush Limbaugh remains dead and we're all better off for it.

You should only say good things about the dead.

Rush Limbaugh is dead.

Good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

You should only say good things about the dead.

Rush Limbaugh is dead.

Good.

Imagine being so vile that millions of people celebrate your death.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

Imagine being so vile that millions of people celebrate your death.

Some people are throwing a party, I'm not.

Just some drinks and snacks with friends.

(I'm stealing jokes about Margaret Thatcher's death)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Some people are throwing a party, I'm not.

Just some drinks and snacks with friends.

(I'm stealing jokes about Margaret Thatcher's) death

If I could have seen any of my friends the other day I actually would have bought a cake and got together with some people. As it turns out I did have a delicious piece of rainbow cake in the freezer so I thawed it out and had some gay cake in honor of a vehement homophobe. The sheer vitriol directed at Limbaugh when he died was like a fine wine. It was a good time and I was cracking up at all the stuff people were sending me with jokes at his expense.

I did not like Rush Limbaugh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CPL593H posted:

If I could have seen any of my friends the other day I actually would have bought a cake and got together with some people. As it turns out I did have a delicious piece of rainbow cake in the freezer so I thawed it out and had some gay cake in honor of a vehement homophobe. The sheer vitriol directed at Limbaugh when he died was like a fine wine. It was a good time and I was cracking up at all the stuff people were sending me with jokes at his expense.

I did not like Rush Limbaugh.

Every single thing about his life was devoted to making things worse for other people, the cancer that killed him was less of a cancer than he was.

The really fun thing about his death is a bunch of people you didn't always agree with, but didn't hate, are gonna say nice things about him, so you get to find out they were garbage human beings.

My dad has gotten way to into watching MSNBC (at least it's not Fox, I keep telling myself) and I was pleasantly surprised that Joy Ann Reid's bit about him was just reminding people how completely vile he was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I've said this in other threads and maybe even in this one already,

The only sad thing about Rush Limbaugh's death is that it didn't happen decades earlier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Said in the boomer thread, celebrating the death of horrible people is great because makes old fucks angry and scared that not everything in the world is a ritual designed to assuage them, and that they won't be worshiped after death.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Has Al Franken said anything about Limbaugh's death, this is probably a perfect opportunity for him to relaunch his political career.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Can I watch Bill & Ted 3 if I haven't seen B&T 2?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They explain most of what happened in the first two films at the beginning, but it would still be a much lesser experience

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Plus you should also see those movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Especially 2

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There are people who have made better movies than Lexi and are better filmmakers who still struggle to get work. Yes part of that is going to be that she's a woman and that she's outspoken, and I suspect that part of it is issuing a lovely hot take about black and white movies, doubling down on it and framing the fact that it got traction as Anti-Palestinian sentiment (including the very shaky logic that people criticising her don't even realise they're being 'guided' to do so). Like, what in all honesty did she expect the reaction to be when you say something as utterly dumb as 'black and white movies are racist and sexist af'? Ah this comment will surely slip under the radar and into anonymity. Might as well ditch this box set of African-American cinema now that I've learned black and white movies are the devil's work.

Yeah she's going to attract some really lovely people into her mentions and that's what has happened. But to pretend that every response is equal (and the snide implication that people criticising her take are not doing it for her take but have ulterior motives) is ignoring the reality of what people were responding to.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Skwirl posted:

Has Al Franken said anything about Limbaugh's death, this is probably a perfect opportunity for him to relaunch his political career.
That depends, how much was his reputation hurt by MeToo?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
He’s on MSNBC practically every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's also that she said the dumb thing and then promptly set to work making sure she looked as bad as possible in the aftermath: Blocking everyone who gave even the most polite pushback or disagreement, trying to use social justice language to claim she was being uniquely victimized and accusing PoC of siding with the mob of white men who are surely behind this, trying to get a college kid expelled for mild trolling. I'm sure she got plenty of abusive comments in her mentions but most of the people I saw were just saying "lol this is a dumb rear end take" and a number of people just praising old movies and encouraging people to seek them out.

I don't know if she's just not in a great place at the moment that exacerbated this or whatnot but she kept digging the hole as deep as it would go.