Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Any tips for the shield? I also unlocked the chaos aspect for it and am doing well with a doom/rift build, just beat the hydra for the first time. Hermès’ sturdy on dash boon is honestly doing most of the work, I’m just zipping around making sure everyone is doomed and releasing a seeker blade rift every now and then, it rocks.

zeus shield benefits from quick-hitting boons like, well, zeus's

chaos shield I also like using doom for

blade rifts get ridiculously powerful if you pick their boons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

i love putting zeus special on the zeus shield. it's like having a bug zapper buddy just followin' you around

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Zeus boons on Zeus Shield is nuts. I didn't even bother to get two cursed statuses on my last build when I got offered something insane like 4 Zeus boons in Tartarus and I whipped through everything regardless. Just literally cramming lightning onto every button like a deranged lunatic.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Zeus boons on Zeus Shield is nuts. I didn't even bother to get two cursed statuses on my last build when I got offered something insane like 4 Zeus boons in Tartarus and I whipped through everything regardless. Just literally cramming lightning onto every button like a deranged lunatic.

On my last clear I got the boon that turns your blood gems into lightning rods if you don't pick them up, then just parked my rear end on the other side of the arena while Zeus big-brother bullied Ares with lightning noogies from Olympus.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 17, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What determines whether Duos show up? Found my first one last run, it was amazing

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What determines whether Duos show up? Found my first one last run, it was amazing

You have to have its prerequisite boons. Usually you need one of a particular few boons from one god and one of a particular few boons from another.

There’s an upgrade to your codex you can buy from the house contractor that will let you see the full list of boons for each god and the prerequisites for each, and it will even mark the ones you currently have in green so you can tell at a glance what you still need.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm not sure how these boons stack, but this was pretty underwhelming on default shield. Hit for 260, nice but if I'm trying to not get hit I'm dash-striking at best once every second. For something that seemed really good on paper the damage was unimpressive. :geno:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I dislike charging mechanics so Zeus shield is my favorite. Dio boon on the special and if you get used to how far the shield travels when you throw it you can just sit it on a boss or lure them into it for significant damage. It's probably carried me more than anything other than the zag fists / feather combo.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ariong posted:

There’s an upgrade to your codex you can buy from the house contractor that will let you see the full list of boons for each god and the prerequisites for each, and it will even mark the ones you currently have in green so you can tell at a glance what you still need.

Can also use the game's wiki, if you haven't upgraded the codex yet or want to theorycraft on your phone while at work or whatever: https://hades.gamepedia.com/Duo_Boons

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Cleared out EM4 last night on my second attempt. Magnet Fists with Zeus on attack, Artemis on special, lightning rod duo, and the single most important boon I got for the fight - +3 dashes from Hermes. I used 2 of my 3 Defiances but drat that was a hell of a fight. Him summoning the upgraded boss butterfly balls was a surprise because I tried to read as little of the fight as possible. I'm proud of myself. Just got 2 achievements to knock out then I think I'm close to completing the game. I honestly don't have any interest in a 32 heat run 'cause that just looks stressful af.

minema
May 31, 2011
I usually hate the bow and hadn't escaped with it until last night when through a combo of Athena legendary and the acorn keepsake I killed Hades without taking a single bit of damage. Might be my proudest achievement so far in this game.

Now I've escaped with all the weapons it's time to turn the heat up. I'm not very good at this game, what are the easiest heat options?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

minema posted:

I usually hate the bow and hadn't escaped with it until last night when through a combo of Athena legendary and the acorn keepsake I killed Hades without taking a single bit of damage. Might be my proudest achievement so far in this game.

Now I've escaped with all the weapons it's time to turn the heat up. I'm not very good at this game, what are the easiest heat options?

First level of tight deadline is a easy, and first two levels of extreme measure aren't too bad. I don't mind underworld customs and middle management.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I have 1 rank of the extra enemies and 2 ranks of extreme measures right now. Bone hydra is such a different fight now it's awesome.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

minema posted:

I find hard labor 1 or 2 easy enough. once you learn their new tricks, which isn't too hard, em1-3 are basically free heat. benefits package 1 is usually not too hard although 2 can easily become ridiculous. middle management is alright and makes some fights way more fun. routine inspection 1 isn't very restrictive. damage control 1 is pretty easy if you're using a faster weapon. as you get better tight deadline 1 and even 2 also become almost-free heat so long as you don't add increased health or enemies.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Had a few escapes with EM4 but was failing when I pushed it up to 32 heat. Getting the heat from +100% bonus damage instead had me clear it first time. Hestia shotgun approach, even with uninspired hammers, cleared Hades fast enough.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anyone playing on the ps4 controller, what do you rebind reload to. R3 is weird

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
L1 for me. I don't need to access the codex that bad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I switched all my controls around ages back, left trigger and right trigger are special/attack, right bumper is reload for the rail, feels incredible. I forget what was there originally but it's probably on a face button now

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Anyone playing on the ps4 controller, what do you rebind reload to. R3 is weird

xbox controller for me so LB, but yeah, that button imo

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Glazius posted:

Boons that are better with quick, light attacks: thunder, hangover, chill
Boons that are better with big, heavy attacks: knockback, weak, deflect

Criticals are kind of always good - they'll be more consistent on quick attacks but you'll pop for the big numbers on heavy attacks.
Doom is kind of weird in that since it doesn't stack you kind of want it on a slow attack, but since it does fixed damage you kind of want it on a weak attack? It's pretty good on the bow special if you're using it as area denial rather than a shotgun to the back of the head.

Doom goes from mediocre to awesome if you pick up the stacking Doom boon. I did this on a meme beam run where I got the infinite ammo hammer and I got some real big numbers and comically fast boss kills.

Any tips for the shield? I also unlocked the chaos aspect for it and am doing well with a doom/rift build, just beat the hydra for the first time. Hermès’ sturdy on dash boon is honestly doing most of the work, I’m just zipping around making sure everyone is doomed and releasing a seeker blade rift every now and then, it rocks.

Shield pays dividends to playing carefully. While sword and fists want you to always be moving around like a coked-out DBZ character, for shield sometimes the best move is simply planting your feet. The shield blocks Asterius' charge, for example. And even better, when you release the block, you get a dash to reposition. Chaos shield really comes into its own once you max out it's blood. I've found success with Demeter Attack, Zeus Special, Dionysus cast. Spec hard into Zeus to grab Jolted, and stack anything that improves your lightning strikes (Double Strike and Zeus legendary). The MVPs are your duo boons: Zeus/Demeter makes Jolted last for 10 seconds and trigger on every attack they make in that time. Zeus/Dio makes lightning strike periodically in the fog cloud (which is affected by Double Strike and all your other lightning boons), and Dio/Demeter makes the fog slow, so you can REALLY tickle them with the lightning spam.

The same build works for Chiron bow too.

edit: Example of the "core" using the bow. This does around 1550 damage per Q from lighting bolts alone, before factoring in Jolted, the base damage of Q, or any bonuses other than Double Strike. (Figured at a 50% Double Strike chance.)

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 18, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Beat Hades on my first try with the chaos shield, it’s completely broken that you can just sit behind it and block literally everything. Gonna be hard to beat him without that I think. Anyway glad to have broken thru and unlocked grandma, I need more blood to power up the sword (really wanna try aspect of Poseidon) and the gun

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

https://twitter.com/Akinomakinomin1/status/1362241524600164354?s=20

I just had my best run yet with the fists. I used the aspect of Talos, and it felt like hitting with the special first really helped to pile on the damage afterwards. It was way more than I expected.

I also had Dionysus on my normal attack, and that added up a lot of damage too.

I think the Hermes keepsake was helping a lot too. I was clearing rooms super fast, and I noticed that I wasn't taking much damage, so I think it was helping me dodge attacks a lot?

I honestly still don't get a lot of the mechanics in the game, but I'm going to try a run with some heat next.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Beat Hades on my first try with the chaos shield, it’s completely broken that you can just sit behind it and block literally everything. Gonna be hard to beat him without that I think. Anyway glad to have broken thru and unlocked grandma, I need more blood to power up the sword (really wanna try aspect of Poseidon) and the gun

I'm not sure how I feel about Poseidon sword, since it feels a bit antithetical to me on a cast build to be getting close enough to do a rather slow special. (Compared to Spear, Shield, Bow, and Fist specials.)

The secret shield feels a lot more natural for casting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Poseidon sword, since it feels a bit antithetical to me on a cast build to be getting close enough to do a rather slow special. (Compared to Spear, Shield, Bow, and Fist specials.)

Closing/hitting and running with the special is a lot easier if you dash immediately after pressing the special button, which gives you basically the same range as that one hammer that turns your special into a dash-special

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Warmachine posted:

poseidon sword synergizes incredibly well with artemis' exit wounds, which gives you a reason to be close so you can pick up the bloodstones as they tear their way out to drill 'em back in again

also yeah getting good at using dodge offset with the sword special helps a lot

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

World War Mammories posted:

poseidon sword synergizes incredibly well with artemis' exit wounds, which gives you a reason to be close so you can pick up the bloodstones as they tear their way out to drill 'em back in again

also yeah getting good at using dodge offset with the sword special helps a lot

Poseidon sword is kind of gimmicky but getting a decently leveled up Exit Wounds, fast cast/auto return from Hermes and a solid high damage cast like Athena or Artemis, along with a buffed special, gives you bonkers amounts of burst.

The problem isn’t that Poseidon is bad, it’s that Excalibur is ludicrously overtuned.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Poseidon sword is kind of gimmicky but getting a decently leveled up Exit Wounds, fast cast/auto return from Hermes and a solid high damage cast like Athena or Artemis, along with a buffed special, gives you bonkers amounts of burst.

The problem isn’t that Poseidon is bad, it’s that Excalibur is ludicrously overtuned.

Yeah excalibur is facetank easy mode when you combine it with weak.

And the hermes spear aspect is better for cast builds anyway imo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be honest I kinda feel like all the big and slow hidden aspects are pretty busted and Excalibur is the weakest of the three; the bow one is slow too but goes far and becomes area of effect, and the gloves are only slow for gloves but even without Maim you get a four hit attack sequence with 60 base damage on each hit and decent area of effect.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Haven’t unlocked any of the hidden aspects yet sadly. Excalibur sounds right up my alley

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest I kinda feel like all the big and slow hidden aspects are pretty busted and Excalibur is the weakest of the three; the bow one is slow too but goes far and becomes area of effect, and the gloves are only slow for gloves but even without Maim you get a four hit attack sequence with 60 base damage on each hit and decent area of effect.

I love giving the Rama bow aspect Explosive shot and Twin shot so it's just the slowest, shortest range 'projectile' weapon possible

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah excalibur is facetank easy mode when you combine it with weak.

And the hermes spear aspect is better for cast builds anyway imo.

You just made me look because I was absolutely positive spear didn't have a Hermes. Did you mean Hades? Because I tend to agree. Spin to win is a great gimmick.

edit: Spin to win, but a misclick at the start cost me Mirage Shot. There was a fishing spot back in Tartarus I stopped to grab that was too close to a Zeus door, when I'd meant to go through the Poseidon door.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 19, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Warmachine posted:

You just made me look because I was absolutely positive spear didn't have a Hermes. Did you mean Hades? Because I tend to agree. Spin to win is a great gimmick.

edit: Spin to win, but a misclick at the start cost me Mirage Shot. There was a fishing spot back in Tartarus I stopped to grab that was too close to a Zeus door, when I'd meant to go through the Poseidon door.

lol oh i meant achilles

You get a buff when you throw and warp to your spear. Buffed casts do a lotta damage when you build for it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Last Celebration posted:

I hate the hidden gloves tbh, I dash strike a lot with gloves and giving enemies a big damage buff sucks. Plus Zag gloves and the plume is such a killer combo.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I hate the hidden gloves tbh, I dash strike a lot with gloves and giving enemies a big damage buff sucks. Plus Zag gloves and the plume is such a killer combo.

They're excellent speedrun gloves if you're technical enough and max them out (Maim can do 400dmg), but Zag Gloves truly are the all-rounders.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
You've fallen for the same trick I did, which is thinking that maim is an important part of the hidden gauntlets at all when instead they're the most dash-attack focused of all the gauntlets. Get Aphrodite or Dionysus (or Poseidon if you're fine launching enemies around randomly) dash boons and a good primary attack boon and you'll tear apart everything besides bosses without ever feeling like you need to hit your secondary attack button.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, the dash attack is where it's at with Gilgamesh aspect. Maim seems good on paper, but it procs very slow and none of your modifiers apply to that 400 damage. After a little while, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll have a safer way to do more than 400 damage in the same time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Fun times using the Greater Call of Hades

"Father!" "What??"
"Father!" "I'm right here!"
"Father!" "Boy!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/rudeism/status/1362376886827896832

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm not a huge fan of the bow, but everytime I end up with rapid fire on the Chiron Aspect I know I'm going to have a good time. I just got my first deathless complete with it and I was just trying to finish out the legendary boon prophecy, not make a functional/broken build.

I really wish you could spend rerolls on hammer upgrades because I would blow them for that every run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Maim on Gilgamesh is more about applying the damge bonus than proccing the extra doom effect. Even then you can usually clear out small-medium enemies faster without it.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 19, 2021