Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tend to agree, if it works, who gives a gently caress. But it's completely unnecessary because you can give grep the file name directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Wait whats wrong with cat file | grep string

I wouldnt say I do that all the time but its not uncommon.

Why wouldn't you just do

code:
grep "string" /path/to/file
?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just hit another application that we’re gonna have to manage the JRE keystone for because of ldap secure channel signing. I just wanna use a simple lds partition for a very basic purpose, is that too much too ask?

I’m calling it quits for today.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Iron Rose posted:

Wait what’s wrong with cat file | grep string

I wouldn’t say I do that all the time but it’s not uncommon.

http://porkmail.org/era/unix/award.html

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

poo poo *DEFINITELY NOT* pissing me off: my company just announced that all employees are getting an additional 5 "wellbeing days" of PTO this year to help with added stresses and whatnot.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Langolas posted:

The word format resume is a huge red flag in my book. My wife and I both have seen or had doctored resumes by recruiting folks in the past. They all come up with excuses of why they are asking but in reality... none of the excuses hold up.

I thought I was interviewing for a helpdesk position at Compaq. The interviewer thought I was there for a Java developer position. The recruiter at Robert Half took the bit where I mentioned I was learning C and turned it into many years experience with C and learning Java. The copy of my resume and the one he had differed in a lot of other ways as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ooh i dig this site, lots of fun learning here.

anyways knew it was going to be a stupid question when i asked it but always better to ask stupid questions here than elsewhere.

in what I promise is a genuine backpedal i can't remember the last time i have done a literal cat file | grep string (though I'm sure it's happened) and i pinky swear i use grep to search for strings in files and directories all the time. totally a brain fart, i went "why is | grep string bad"* and totally wiffed. Appreciate the reminders!

*bc if you can you should use filtering on the object of your query rather than outputing and processing information you don't need, but shh

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 19, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

poo poo *DEFINITELY NOT* pissing me off: my company just announced that all employees are getting an additional 5 "wellbeing days" of PTO this year to help with added stresses and whatnot.

So what you’re saying is that your company could have given everybody those days off in the past but chose not to do so? There, now you can be pissed off about it!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

counterpoint: if you're the type of person that gets their panties in a twist when they see cat | grep then I don't want to work with you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I still do find / | grep

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I absolutely hate Slack. There are far too many mentions that I’m choked full of messages I need to reply to :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

deedee megadoodoo posted:

counterpoint: if you're the type of person that gets their panties in a twist when they see cat | grep then I don't want to work with you.

:same:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Aesis posted:

I absolutely hate Slack. There are far too many mentions that I’m choked full of messages I need to reply to :smith:

Sounds more like a problem with the system if informal channels are your number one medium for communications outside your immediate team. Unless they're my immediate team, senior leadership, or someone I'm actively working on a project with, I almost always ask them to make a ticket and call the help desk line. I realllly want to keep people out of the habit of directly contacting their favorite IT person when the rest of my team is perfectly capable of addressing most day-to-day issues.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

klosterdev posted:

Sounds more like a problem with the system if informal channels are your number one medium for communications outside your immediate team. Unless they're my immediate team, senior leadership, or someone I'm actively working on a project with, I almost always ask them to make a ticket and call the help desk line. I realllly want to keep people out of the habit of directly contacting their favorite IT person when the rest of my team is perfectly capable of addressing most day-to-day issues.

I'm reminded of my old fricken manager walking back into the IT office, pissed off because he'd been spending 2 hours with a user in accounting trying to get to some bank website. He had the user with them, and they get on the collaboration table computer, and a couple people from the department gather around to watch. They're clearing caches and cookies and rebooting.... he starts cursing out Firefox, Windows, and a bunch of other poo poo.

"Bob? You got any ideas on this?"
"Yea, the pop-up blocker is on."
"How the gently caress..."

Any of our lowest-level helpdesk guys would have figured that out in 30 seconds, here he is wasting half his loving morning on it instead of just letting the right people take care of it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My boss does that kind of poo poo constantly. Or will do inconsistent testing and then send someone on a wild goose chase.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Always give it a chance to be simple.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How to set your users up for failure:

1. Give them multiple user names

BMorales, BobMoral, bob.morales

They'll have so much fun remembering which username is for which! And when they forget, you can make them feel stupid! :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

My boss does that kind of poo poo constantly. Or will do inconsistent testing and then send someone on a wild goose chase.

Like the old, "This is the fix to the problem"

THAT IS IN NO WAY EVEN POSSIBLE IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY

"Well I'm not saying it fixed it but..."

YOU CHANGED SOMETHING ELSE! WHAT DID YOU CHANGE? MAKE YOUR TINY BRAIN REMEMBER

"Well you're probably right..."

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

No troubleshoot, only fix

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

klosterdev posted:

No troubleshoot, only fix

No documentation, only press butan!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

klosterdev posted:

No troubleshoot, only sfc /scannow, then reinstall Windows

thanks technet

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don’t even bother with sfc

In most cases if you have a non-hardware issue that you can’t fix in less than 30 minutes you should just re-image the machine

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Anytime I get BSOD or the unhappy smiley face I reimage due to it now being unclean

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

They'll have so much fun remembering which username is for which! And when they forget, you can make them feel stupid! :haw:

Require the use of password databases.

Our users have so many logins that don't support SSO that have different requirements, there's no way for us to have one universal login. This has solved a ton of our problems. KeePass is even free.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

This is being too nice to them, just name them b512640895

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm pissing me off. Asked a large-ish security question in a meet n greet with the new CEO, and I didn't realize Shift-Enter submitted the question in zoom and I couldn't edit!! I messed up an "are" vs "is" and there was an extra period and ahhhhhhh

on the plus side i submitted a moderately more grammatically correct question before the meeting, which clearly spooked him since he spent a good 15/45 minutes of his meeting with engineering talking about security and compliance. Happy to see the emphasis if nothing else.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

poo poo pissing me off: Work from home. My 8 and 10 year olds are also on work from home and decided to mentos MULTIPLE sealed 2 litres of coke and put them back in the fridge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, that sounds like it would be an issue whether or not anyone was working from home.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Work from home. My 8 and 10 year olds are also on work from home and decided to mentos MULTIPLE sealed 2 litres of coke and put them back in the fridge.

I'm sorry you're dealing with that. From a safely detached distance, I would also like to say that that's awesome and your kids are awesome.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 19, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
How the gently caress do you get them back into the fridge?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Kids should have dropped mentos, slammed the fridge shut and run like hell

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Biowarfare posted:

How the gently caress do you get them back into the fridge?

You would probably wrap the mentos in paper towels or something that would dissolved but slow the reaction enough to have time to put the lid back on.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The real answer is they tie a string around the mentos and put the lid on with it up top then cut the string so that the person who opens it gets the jizz fountain.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I frequently dont read the last couple of pages of this thread and just kind of read the last couple of posts. Startin off with a jizz fountain in this particular thread surprised me a little.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Johnny Aztec posted:

You would probably wrap the mentos in paper towels or something that would dissolved but slow the reaction enough to have time to put the lid back on.

afaik it's not the Mentos dissolving in the coke that causes the fountain, but the surface of the mint has loads of tiny dents in and it releases gas from the coke as it travels down through the bottle.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Working on a Saturday!

Okay, here's the background. Last week we had a switch fail, we had a spare so my boss replaced it that night. I was using one of my forced days off, so he did it by himself. Messed a couple things up. Told him he could have sent me a text and I would have came in to help, or just did it, but anyway.

HP doesn't make this switch anymore (5120, the old Comware ones), so they send us a 5130. And since you can't mix them in a stack...they send us a second switch, to replace the whole stack. But we have to send the old defective ones back in 5 days or something ridiculous.

Yesterday I get it all configured, and this morning we get some time to take it down and swap the stack out. This should take...90 minutes assuming something gets hosed up and we have to tweak some stuff.

You can see the first 'new' switch, in the middle. So I start pulling cables, one at a time, and putting them in the new switch. Then remove the old, insert another new one, move the cables over...I basically copied over the config from the old switch. This takes...maybe 20 minutes. Now, I start checking to make sure everything comes back up, and my dumbass boss starts 'cleaning cables up'. Moving stuff around, wants to stick some cable management 1U thing in, but the real problem is that we have ports on the left side of the switch going to the right side of the patch panel, and patch panels above the switches going to the lower of the two switches...

Me: DON'T MOVE ANY CABLES DON'T CHANGE MORE THAN ONE THING AT A TIME. YOU CAN CLEAN poo poo UP AFTER WE GET EVERYTHING UP.

Anyway, a bunch of poo poo, mostly PoE stuff, doesn't come back up. I find a PoE firmware update for the switches, install it, power cycle everthing, check a bunch of poo poo...double-check the switch config....everything looks fine. But a bunch of poo poo still doesn't work.

Meanwhile he's checking servers and poo poo trying to figure out why some systems aren't working.

Me: WE DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING DON'T START loving WITH poo poo

I get the ladder out and disconnect a camera, just because I've seen some of our cameras not power cycle unless you pull the plug on them, for some reason doing a shutdown on the PoE port doesn't always do it. While on the ladder, I start thinking....

Old:

New:

You see the problem? gently caress you HP. gently caress you in your pussy.

I then swap everything from the top port row with the bottom row. Most poo poo comes up. But numb nuts moved around enough poo poo that we have to re-configure about 8 ports....ugh.

Turned a 1 hour job into a 3 hour job.

Anyway, we did clean stuff up a little bit. Took those little one foot green cables out, going to beat the door security guys with them next time they are here. Bundled up the first 12 ports on the top switch, and then I'll move some other ports around one by one to clean stuff up. Ugh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Juniper switches start at port 0, Cisco SMB ones go from 1-24 along the top row and 25-48 on the second row.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress you HP. gently caress you in your pussy.

This is gross. I'm not going to probe you for it, but come on. Our industry has a tough enough time with misogyny that you really don't need to go around saying poo poo like this.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It's not even a good expletive. Like, that's.. that's what it's there for? Like, "gently caress you in your ear" at least makes sense as it would be a terrible theoretical experience for the receiving party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it's a really awkward stretch and it just makes it all the worse.