Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
there is a lot of truth to what he describes (especially the hiring/firing bit) but holy lol i would've moved out from underneath that guy fast. a lot of it is that he seems intent on blaming everyone else for not rebelling against this system versus focusing on the leadership that lets these kinds of systemic problems fester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
Ask HN: Advice for finding an entry-level remote job?

quote:

throwaway939333 6 hours ago [–]

Please listen to me. I was in a similar position to you. I chose wrong. I chose my family.

Let me tell you why: by choosing my family, I reduced my ability to become stronger.

You need to spend the next 10 years becoming the strongest person you can.

Then the next 60 years of your life as well as your sister will be great.

Yes, your family's life will suck in the meantime.

DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE GOAL.

The goal is to be the strongest man you can and come back to take care of your family.

So in that vein:

- Keep coding - Go take the auto mechanic job - IGNORE YOUR FAMILY'S PROBLEMS FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS - Send them what you can, do not send what they ask for. Do not overstretch yourself.

Imagine you work for microsoft in 10 years vs you're working retail for minimum wage.

Which do you want?

Prioritizing your family ensures that you will NEVER GAIN THE SKILLS TO WORK AT MICROSOFT.

Prioritize yourself. Let your family know what you're doing. DO NOT DEVIATE.

I REPEAT.

DO.

NOT.

DEVIATE.

Standish
May 21, 2001

salisbury shake posted:

Ask HN: Advice for finding an entry-level remote job?

literally

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty drat sad thinking about that guy waking up every morning going "just 10 more years" in the mirror as he elects to ruins his life.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
hn thread: IGNORE YOUR FAMILY'S PROBLEMS FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Zlodo posted:

hn thread: IGNORE YOUR FAMILY'S PROBLEMS FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine being a guy with a happy family making 6 figures and waking up every day and being miserable because you can't stop thinking, "man if only I had ignored my family for 10 years and gotten divorced so I could be more like TechLead on youtube."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

Imagine being a guy with a happy family making 6 figures and waking up every day and being miserable because you can't stop thinking, "man if only I had ignored my family for 10 years and gotten divorced so I could be more like TechLead on youtube."

hasn’t he been job hopping between FAANGs because everyone hates him

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

what’s this 10 years poo poo? bootcamps, bro

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you hate your family unless you’ve complete 1100 leetcodes

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

throwaway939333 7 hours ago [flagged] [dead] [–]

Did you read what i said or are you just reading what you want to read? I CHOSE FAMILY. IT WAS THE WRONG DECISION.
Look at the callous response of the other poster when he said citation needed. This is how he can expect the world to treat him if he doesn't work on becoming the strongest version of himself that he can.

And if his family figures out how to move on without him, you better believe they may do so.

I am the only one on this thread with the exact experience and yet FAANG boys are providing their expert interview and resume advice. Hopefully it works, there is some good advice there.

lmao imagine sacrificing 10 years of your life to get a job at loving Microsoft of all places

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

He's also divorced because his family hates him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

He's also divorced because his family hates him.

a spouse would be in the set of "everyone" :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean I don't think his ex-wife is causing his job hopping

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

how do you all seem to know who “throwaway939333” on hn is?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I am a current Google TL and 90% of the job is going to extra meetings with the managers and project managers to plan what people are working on because the sum of (tech debt + new work + dependency churn) ~= 5x the number of people-efforts available.

The other 10% is mentoring the juniors on what electrical sockets they shouldn't stick their fingers in and recalling some arcane bit of useful trivia about our system or a dependency that was never written down in discoverable documentation.

So trying to sell yourself as "ex-Google Tech Lead and coding god" is a hilarious bit of YouTube grifting tbh.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we talkin about techlead on youtube, patrick shyu formerly of facebook formerly of goog formerly accounted among the married, not the actual throwaway acct

mystes
May 31, 2006

mrmcd posted:

So trying to sell yourself as "ex-Google Tech Lead and coding god" is a hilarious bit of YouTube grifting tbh.
I thought it was supposed to be a joke when I first saw it and I have to say that if the youtube money ever dries up he should consider shopping his story out because I would absolutely pay to watch a fictionalized tv show about him destroying his life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we talkin about techlead on youtube, patrick shyu formerly of facebook formerly of goog formerly accounted among the married, not the actual throwaway acct

Lol. I didn't know who Techlead was, but from the descriptions itt I was like hmm I wonder if he's that smarmy asian dude who made those videos about how great he was for working at Facebook and then about how he was getting divorced

Yep, it is that guy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my FAANG boy and your FAANG boy
sitting by the fire
my FAANG boy says to your FAANG boy
I'm gonna set your wife on fire

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
n explicitly included just to make it not a slur

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

n explicitly included just to make it not a slur

its probably actually because FAAMG isn't pronouncible

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DO.

NOT.

DEVIATE.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
imagine having the count of monte cristo's deranged obsession with revenge, except you're obsessed with janitoring package.json files

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

drop Facebook and make it MAGA imo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

gettin' some serious oh-THAT-guys from this thread. my previous knowledge of patrick shyu was watching a couple of his youtube vids because they were google hits on something i was searching. he came across as unpleasant and weird and possibly a poser, but i didn't know anything else

now that i've googled his real name i've found out that apparently he's gone full blown damore, promoting ideas like "blm is reverse racism". so gently caress him

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not a poser inasmuch as he coded and made big bucks, just worthless as a human being

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

but AMGAF is and is in order of importance too

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
edit: derp

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

but AMGAF is and is in order of importance too

Amazon Mfacebook Google Amicrosoft Fapple

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
m’Facebook :smug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In a thread where the point was made that prioritizing public transit over self-driving cars would be a better idea.

quote:

That's a problem when a pandemic hits and strangers sharing a vehicle stops being viable, or when the unionized bus drivers strike because they can leverage the monopolistic position labor laws grant unionized workers to try to extract economic rent, or when like in my city, law-and-order breaks down after decades of progressively more left-wing governments which increasingly take a hands off approach to policing while insisting on not committing the mentally ill, leading to mentally ill drug addicts making people fearful of getting on public transit, or when people live in low-population density areas which don't allow for regular bus service between all points.

Personal vehicles face fewer limitations and are more durable in various failure modes. But first people need to shed their utopianist ideals about how society should pursue its objectives, and allow profit-motivated investment and consumer-preference-moderated technological innovation find solutions.

This is one of you guys trolling, right? Right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
that’s our Shaggar

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

monopolistic position labor laws grant unionized workers to try to extract economic rent

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
hmm yes "profit-motivated investment and consumer-preference-moderated technological innovation"

definitely things that occur in a landscape dominated by vc funding bonfires and advertising revenue

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Every day HN moves one step closer to a major breakthrough: Finally creating the ultimate cheapdad.

fastball 1 hour ago [–]

I'm in Texas, and lost power for > 72hrs.
I'm not on a wholesale rate plan, but if I was, you can bet your sweet rear end that I would be A. monitoring the wholesale price B. switching off my main breaker the moment the price went above $X.

As such, don't really agree with the conclusion of the article. We mandate having car insurance not because we care if you can't afford to fix your car when you wreck it, but rather because if you crash into someone else we don't want you to dodge paying for what you've done to them.

Electricity is entirely a you thing. Your neighbor/society doesn't get hurt if you use Griddy with uncapped rates, only you do (and as pointed out above, you can avoid this if you're smart). Yes people will get burned, but I don't want to live in a society that tries to prevent people from ever making personal mistakes – mostly because such attempts usually don't succeed, while also curtailing my freedom in the process. And just to reiterate, this doesn't apply if there are negative externalities that affect others

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Explaining to my kids the virtue of rugged individualism, the free market, and why surge pricing is actually good, while they succumb to hypothermia in our living room.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the implication that he might shut off his own power preemptively in other situations if the rates got too high.

11am in august: *WHAM* sorry kids, no more electricity until the evening, everyone's using their AC and i'm not made of money

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

i like the implication that he might shut off his own power preemptively in other situations if the rates got too high.

11am in august: *WHAM* sorry kids, no more electricity until the evening, everyone's using their AC and i'm not made of money

Just use a modem with a few D-type batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

You didn't correct me on anything. You called me privileged based on a weird assumption you somehow drew from what I've said.

Regardless of what my current status may be or what you think it may be it's not very relevant. Because that would ignore the rest of my life which you also have zero idea about. You're again making assumption. You don't know if I've had an easy life or a really hard life. You don't know anything but act like you know something about me and are using that to try and belittle me.

Anyway this is clearly going nowhere as all you have done is repeat the same insult twice and provide zero constructive conversation or rebuttals to what I've said. You can throw around buzzwords and the big ol P word (privilege) but until you actually respond to what I said I'm wasting my time here.

Please do not reply to me anymore. I'm not interested in hearing insults anymore. Do keep in mind it violates the rules here.

Do not assume what my life has been life. Do not assume what my privilege is. And do not reply to me anymore. You are incredibly rude and unproductive. You are a perfect example of what I am talking about. You throw around buzzwords, provide zero facts/evidence/research and then throw down an insult.

FYI:calling someone privileged, making assumptions, and being a jerk doesn't fix systematic racism.

He was whining about being called out for having conservative opinions online.