Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

this right here is a five-dollar word

Excellent word. Barry Schwarz explores this idea contrasted with maximizers in the context of making choices in Paradox of Choice. Good book.

If you're basically happy where you are and good with the money, I'd hunker down but perhaps ask for a raise.

Incidentally, I started out in the high 5 figs in a midwestern-ish mid size city doing data science in a place Im an industry I'm not a huge fan of (health insurance). Postdoc fell through and I simply took the first option. Not too too bad, but learning opportunities were scarce until we got bought out by a larger company. Now my manager's micromanaging tendencies have gotten out of hand and my responsibilities have grown, so I'm either trying to switch teams or jump ship. In any case it appears that this job is paying me less salary than an equivalent government posting.

Anyone else have your direct manager freak out on you for getting help (securing a company laptop) from another manager?

I feel like I have more bosses than teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
h simon invented the word. more peeps should read what herb simon had to say, basically one of like 4 psychologists who really knew the gently caress outta puters

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Never heard of this guy til now. Any book recommendations?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Any advice for interviewing someone more senior than me? We're hiring a software QA director and I've been asked to do one of the interviews. I think I've been a part of two interviews before now but never as the lead or by myself. Pointers or good questions to ask would be much appreciated

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kudaros posted:

Never heard of this guy til now. Any book recommendations?

administrative behavior, organizations - not an easy read

sciences of the artificial - surprisingly easy read

models of bounded rationality

economics, bounded rationality and the cognitive revolution

these are the main books what jeff shrager told me, and jeff was simons last grad student

dont sleep on the dudes rijksbank prize ('economics nobel') and turing award speeches, if you want some poo poo to read in 15 minutes

his legacy is one of like 5 reasons cmu hits so much harder in cs poo poo than you would think

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 19, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Asleep Style posted:

Any advice for interviewing someone more senior than me? We're hiring a software QA director and I've been asked to do one of the interviews. I think I've been a part of two interviews before now but never as the lead or by myself. Pointers or good questions to ask would be much appreciated

dont do insultingly simple tech questions but dont stint on the tech questions, even if theyre not necessarily jumpthruthishoop tech questions. what disappoints peeps about interviewing senior peeps is the seeming increased rate of nonfizzbuzzers but in my experience its just the same rate of nonfizzbuzzers as junior peeps.

if youre bein asked to do anything at all wrt a more senior than you hire its structurally impossible that itll be some imposin hierarchical thing so just breathe easy with respect to that

one paranoia that peeps of a certain age (viz. actually senior senior peeps) have got to have is ageism. make sure that you dont give off ageist vibes

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 19, 2021

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Ask them how much a good recommendation for this position would be worth around bonus time

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

dont do insultingly simple tech questions but dont stint on the tech questions, even if theyre not necessarily jumpthruthishoop tech questions. what disappoints peeps about interviewing senior peeps is the seeming increased rate of nonfizzbuzzers but in my experience its just the same rate of nonfizzbuzzers as junior peeps.

if youre bein asked to do anything at all wrt a more senior than you hire its structurally impossible that itll be some imposin hierarchical thing so just breathe easy with respect to that

one paranoia that peeps of a certain age (viz. actually senior senior peeps) have got to have is ageism. make sure that you dont give off ageist vibes

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm less worried about being intimidated than I am about having reasonable things to ask someone whose been doing this stuff nearly as long as I've been alive. Maybe that's just a different flavor of intimidation though.

Re: your last paragraph, if there's anything I have going for me over your average computer toucher it's probably the ability to not be a dick to a candidate. Point well taken though

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
maybe ask them to briefly explain something new to you? they’ll be doing that in the actual job and you want to make sure they aren’t a dick about it. this is strictly theoretical though, i haven’t done it myself.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i did this absurdly exact thing and i just asked about interesting technical war stories and asked annoying questions about details and then found and talked to backchannels

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have you been given any direction beyond "interview this person"?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Have you been given any direction beyond "interview this person"?

Yes, I have a list of subjects that they'd like me to focus on. I'm planning to have a more in depth conversation about it with my boss also. I wanted to get the collective wisdom of the interview thread because it's been super helpful to me on the other side of the table

raminasi posted:

maybe ask them to briefly explain something new to you? they’ll be doing that in the actual job and you want to make sure they aren’t a dick about it. this is strictly theoretical though, i haven’t done it myself.

I like this a lot

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

raminasi posted:

this is a real good idea and i'm gonna use it the next time i'm in this situation

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this is a real good idea and i'm gonna use it the next time i'm in this situation

somebody did this to me when i was interviewing at my current place, seemed like a good idea, but also she asked me to explain bignums which i have like a b+ level on lol. worked out tho

imo if they're comfortable with it it is probably a good idea for someone who is not a white man to ask this so you can weed out people who just instantly start condescending to them

i did this absurdly exact thing and i just asked about interesting technical war stories and asked annoying questions about details and then found and talked to backchannels

this is my favorite interviewing strategy for anyone who isn't a junior. you can play the keep-asking-why game pretty easily, and imo it avoids the problem where someone can have stage fright (or at least renormalize it away) because part of the thing you explicitly want to find out is "can you talk about technical problems in-depth"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yah, dont even try that one w juniors

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phobeste posted:

this is my favorite interviewing strategy for anyone who isn't a junior. you can play the keep-asking-why game pretty easily, and imo it avoids the problem where someone can have stage fright (or at least renormalize it away) because part of the thing you explicitly want to find out is "can you talk about technical problems in-depth"

just remember there’s no need to go full Amazon with it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

hobbesmaster posted:

just remember there’s no need to go full Amazon with it

idk what that means but usually what i'm looking for is "oh yeah we figured it out to this depth and didn't go hey this lovely workaround must have fixed it forever i guess /shrug"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god my job makes me so miserable. i feel like i’m only living for other peoples benefit and that i’ve seen enough of life and would happily die if i could but unfortunately that’s not an option, and i also know it’s possible to not feel so dismayed about life

I get so little satisfaction from it. the industry is dying. people want my attention all the time and they’re customers so I have to be happy. I have to try to push 110% hard on every factor all the time because the industry is dying. i need to escape

hopefully posting in this thread will help myself stop wasting my spare time not looking for a new job or industry

i’ve taken tomorrow off to try to talk to the bank and sort out some credit card debt, and then have some
time to form some kind of plan toward hunting for a
new job

wish me luck

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
i poo poo up the resume and terrible programming threads and hire on avg 2 SW interns and 1 FT SW toucher per year AMA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

i poo poo up the resume and terrible programming threads and hire on avg 2 SW interns and 1 FT SW toucher per year AMA

what’s it like to work in a job where it doesn’t feel like the business is slowly dying

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

what’s it like to work in a job where it doesn’t feel like the business is slowly dying

We have a "runway" that isn't ∞ some months so technically I couldn't tell you

...but it generally doesn't feel like its dying and generally outperforms its industry in growth metrics by a lot so overall it...has its own worries.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I had an amazon interview a few years ago where the interviewer either intentionally or unintentionally said something incorrect about a technical matter and I wasn't sure if it was a slip of the tongue or a gotcha kinda thing, I kinda just smiled and nodded and moved on to the next thing

I didn't address it and I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't get the offer

Interviewing is garbage

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Not a Children posted:

I had an amazon interview a few years ago where the interviewer either intentionally or unintentionally said something incorrect about a technical matter and I wasn't sure if it was a slip of the tongue or a gotcha kinda thing, I kinda just smiled and nodded and moved on to the next thing

Interviewing is garbage

Amazon stole my intern and is paying that kid $33/hr.

This person routinely submits broken code and must have all of their PRs tested before accepting.

Code touching is garbage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Interviewing is garbage

it was probably leadership principles because apparently that’s always it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

oh my god my job makes me so miserable. i feel like i’m only living for other peoples benefit and that i’ve seen enough of life and would happily die if i could but unfortunately that’s not an option, and i also know it’s possible to not feel so dismayed about life

I get so little satisfaction from it. the industry is dying. people want my attention all the time and they’re customers so I have to be happy. I have to try to push 110% hard on every factor all the time because the industry is dying. i need to escape

hopefully posting in this thread will help myself stop wasting my spare time not looking for a new job or industry

i’ve taken tomorrow off to try to talk to the bank and sort out some credit card debt, and then have some
time to form some kind of plan toward hunting for a
new job

wish me luck

what the hell kinda putertoucher job you got that the industry is dyin? just :yotj:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what the hell kinda putertoucher job you got that the industry is dyin? just :yotj:
he touches pills not computers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pills are more popular than ever I just think kiwiland is doing something weird

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

the pharmacist market in the US is pretty oversaturated from what I hear anecdotally

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi is in new zealand, not the us; he's posted before about how pharmacists dont get paid much in NZ

then again he has a rich gf so :shrug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah drugs aren’t going away but some big australian industry players are abusing the way things work here

normally people pay $5 per prescription regardless
of what it is . and then the pharmacy is generally paid more than $5 to dispense the medicine (sometimes less deepening) but these but aussie players are charging $0 and making prescriptions free, so yea many people are taking their prescriptions there

so working in a traditional pharmacy, business is just dying and anyone loyal to us at the moment surely won’t be in a few years.

and so it’s either work in the dying trad pharmacies

or consider working at the factory farm style new ones, coz tjat $5 still has to go to the govt, so it just comes thru “efficiencies” like low wages and high thruput

regardless wages are stagnating, the minimum wage is only *just* under what pharmacy techs get paid, and so there’s little incentive to be a pharmacist or pharmacy tech

but yes drugs aren’t going anywhere and also neither is the tech interface between pharmacy and the rest
of the health industry. which is where i’d like to find myself. i just need to work out if and how to upskill and what and where the jobs are. or take a bigger paycut and move into an industry where my experiences means little

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

echi is in new zealand, not the us; he's posted before about how pharmacists dont get paid much in NZ

then again he has a rich gf so :shrug:

i get paid ok, 87k or so, just i have post marriage debt and kids and support myself.

gf is doing much better than me and her sister owns privately nzs biggest news website and newspapers

wish she’d just give me a job or money lol

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If I was a pill person in this day 'n age id go work for TruePill™. TruePill™, we mail you dick pills. Find out more at TruePill™.com

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that sounds better than my job

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤔 can I make a living simply by being nzs foremost free deliver boner pill supplier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

🤔 can I make a living simply by being nzs foremost free deliver boner pill supplier

now i’m thinking about this

free2udoorBONER.com

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because i wouldn’t be supplying funded medicines I wouldn’t need to apply for a contract from the district health boards

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

the president aint hard to get ahold of he does press for YC n poo poo to try to recruit people

like this from 3 days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6yT9ez5to

just email him (https://www.linkedin.com/in/sidviswanathan) and be like....

I want to distribute dick pills in Australia (or NZ or whatever)

...he's literally making ads RIGHT NOW for this purpose

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 22, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you saying there’s a ground floor opportunity here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

you saying there’s a ground floor opportunity here

well... as an american consumer of Rx drugs, the "a good distributor that any doctor can use simply with an API integration" really appeals to the `puter toucher in me. And this dude seems like he really wants to press the issue. IDK poo poo about NZ to know if drug distribution is a problem there.

Also Ground floor is like...1+% equity.

They've raised $75M USD so...good luck there.