Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ayin posted:

Hey, remember when a bunch of us found out that citric acid negatively affects our stimulants??

I've always gotten conflicting information on whether or not (or what kind) Strattera is a stimulant, so I figured, why not try the experiment on that too

you see, I was taking my non-adderall meds with soda, because I can leave a bottle on my nightstand and it won't get spilled by clumsy cats

the difference was night and day

So yeah, uh, watch out for that

Interesting, I haven't noticed this kind of effect with my Strattera despite taking it with different drinks (mostly water, sometimes soda, fruit juice, or herbal tea). But I also haven't been tracking it and since I've been taking it at night it might be harder to make the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ayin posted:

1. my usual soda is decaff diet pepsi so :shrug:

2. you're really not supposed to reuse those soda bottles

3. my husband is on a crusade against me leaving water sitting around for long periods of time. something about it encouraging bacterial growth on the container

just buy a BPA free/glass/steel drinking flask with a lid?

Diet soda is gross and artificial sweeteners aren't much better for you than straight up sugar/HFCS.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Laserface posted:

Diet soda is gross and artificial sweeteners aren't much better for you than straight up sugar/HFCS.
We shouldn't be drinking soda in general because it's bad but this is also deeply untrue and I have no idea why everybody thinks this.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Why do you care about the chemicals I choose to ingest and not the way they interact

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Hypnolobster posted:

We shouldn't be drinking soda in general because it's bad but this is also deeply untrue and I have no idea why everybody thinks this.

Because dietary science is a deeply fraught battleground littered with generations of almost entirely industry-funded studies purporting to demonstrate that the competition's product causes obesity or cancer, I think.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ayin posted:

Why do you care about the chemicals I choose to ingest and not the way they interact

some people can successfully manage ADHD with diet. not everyone can, but its a great place to start. Medication is the (easy) answer for most people but a good diet can, as mentioned, manage symptoms and as you notice and we are discussing, change the way medication works.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Laserface posted:

some people can successfully manage ADHD with diet. not everyone can, but its a great place to start. Medication is the (easy) answer for most people but a good diet can, as mentioned, manage symptoms and as you notice and we are discussing, change the way medication works.
That makes sense.

Just saying "don't eat/drink that you idiot" without saying why* is a red flag that the poster is coming from an ideological position that may or may not reflect reality (much less whether it would have any relevance for my own situation, like the diabetes crack when I hardly ever drink sugar soda, or assuming I drink a *lot* of soda when I have already said in-thread that I don't.)
It also ignores the fact that most things are fine in small quantities and it's just the large quantities one may or may not need to be careful of. I don't go around telling people "Wow, don't drink citrus juice/soda while on meds!" because that's an absurd overgeneralization of my own experience (that seemingly any amount of citric acid appears to totally nullify stimulants for me).

* beyond overused generalizations and questionable statements like "you'll get diabetes" or "aspartame is poison"...

Quorum posted:

Because dietary science is a deeply fraught battleground littered with generations of almost entirely industry-funded studies purporting to demonstrate that the competition's product causes obesity or cancer, I think.
Also this.

Yes I edited this way too much, deal with it

Ayin fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 4, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No my initial post was absolutely ridiculing you for keeping soda on your nightstand instead of water.

I'm as bachelor as they come but I keep soft drink in the fridge and I don't wash down my medication with it in the morning. I'd sooner drink alcohol than cola before midday.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Laserface posted:

No my initial post was absolutely ridiculing you for keeping soda on your nightstand instead of water.

I'm as bachelor as they come but I keep soft drink in the fridge and I don't wash down my medication with it in the morning. I'd sooner drink alcohol than cola before midday.

This isn't exactly the place to just be dunking on someone's habits, even if you could argue it's tangentially related to what we were on about. By this point you're just being a dickhead.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

look, thats a fair point and I apologise. I suppose there is potentially a societal/cultural/geographic element to it too - I dont know where Ayin is from. Sounds like USA based purely on the soda mentioned, and I know water quality/taste can vary wildly which pushes some people to avoid drinking it.

Im lucky to live in a city/country where tap water isnt particularly hard and doesnt taste funny. I used to drink a lot of soft drink myself and it wasnt until I was going through the motions of getting diagnosed with ADHD that my doctor told me to cut that poo poo out as I was showing signs of being pre-diabetic (it runs rampant on both sides of my family so its only a matter of time for me I suppose and softies/confectionery is the easiest thing to cut out for me)

I still stand by my advice that drinking any kind of soda, sugar or artificially sweetened, is bad generally for health. diet - while not a silver bullet - is definitely a supplemental change to make wrt controlling symptoms.

Sorry Ayin! you do you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Quorum posted:

With a side of government interference to prop up specific industries, yes.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Laserface posted:

Sorry Ayin! you do you.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Can anyone share some tips on how you’ve organized your home workspace? I feel like I’m really, really struggling to come up with a setup that works for me. There’s no other space for my workspace other than my bedroom, unfortunately.

Some things I’m doing to help keep me organized:
-I’m buying a printer. I really miss being able to print my task lists. I’m a very visual person and lack task permanence. If it’s not right in front of me, I forget
-Using the same set of monitors for my work computer and my gaming computer (right now it’s 3 monitors and a laptop all in a row haha)
-Possibly buying a second desk to make an L-shaped desk in the corner, will see how condensing monitors goes

I really wish I pay a consultant to come in and show me how to be organized. I feel like I never really learned and it’s definitely impacted my job performance over the years :smith:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

durrneez posted:

Can anyone share some tips on how you’ve organized your home workspace? I feel like I’m really, really struggling to come up with a setup that works for me. There’s no other space for my workspace other than my bedroom, unfortunately.

-I’m buying a printer. I really miss being able to print my task lists. I’m a very visual person and lack task permanence. If it’s not right in front of me, I forget
-Using the same set of monitors for my work computer and my gaming computer (right now it’s 3 monitors and a laptop all in a row haha)
-Possibly buying a second desk to make an L-shaped desk in the corner, will see how condensing monitors goes

I really wish I pay a consultant to come in and show me how to be organized. I feel like I never really learned and it’s definitely impacted my job performance over the years :smith:

I don't keep myself organized well, but I'm good at designing spaces for functionality and efficiency. The initial setup is fun to do. What do you need it to do? Have you considered marking the places that will draw your visual attention at the times you need that done?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

durrneez posted:

I highly recommend keeping work and gaming separate. I'd get a second desk and put it in a completely different room.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I highly recommend keeping work and gaming separate. I'd get a second desk and put it in a completely different room.

Yeah if you can switch over to your personal computer by pressing a button it's pretty easy to lose a load of time that way.

In terms of being organised, yes a nice distraction free workspace is good, but finding ways to organise your brain is even more important IMO. For me the most important things are a) remembering what I need to do, and b) keeping track of the time.

I can basically get up in the morning with no recollection of what specific tasks I need to do, so if I don't deliberately revisit my workload I either get nothing or the wrong stuff done. I keep a master to-do list in Onenote and then physically write down an outline of my day in a notebook, with meetings and a few tasks for the day. Less is more :) Writing it out by hand makes it load into my brain way better than doing it electronically.

For keeping track of time I have a small clocktab.com window in the corner of my screen, it works wonders to just have the time in my field of view.

Also, noise cancelling headphones are fantastic, as is stimulant medication.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

signalnoise posted:

I don't keep myself organized well, but I'm good at designing spaces for functionality and efficiency. The initial setup is fun to do. What do you need it to do? Have you considered marking the places that will draw your visual attention at the times you need that done?

most of my flat surface space in my room is cluttered. just looking at it now, it looks like a picture from a hidden object game. what i need my space to have is a parking spot for all of my work stuff so that it takes me less mental energy to tidy at the end of my work day. when i'm putting stuff away, i don't want to figure out where everything goes each time. everything not having a parking spot is a recurring theme throughout most of my habitat :( and probably why i'm so messy. i don't have a place for everything that i use and i don't know how to create these discrete spaces in my life.

i also need to have a clear spot where i can write notes and brainstorm. the top of my desk seems to serve this purpose ~okay~ since i've installed a keyboard tray on my desk.

knox_harrington posted:

I can basically get up in the morning with no recollection of what specific tasks I need to do, so if I don't deliberately revisit my workload I either get nothing or the wrong stuff done. I keep a master to-do list in Onenote and then physically write down an outline of my day in a notebook, with meetings and a few tasks for the day. Less is more :) Writing it out by hand makes it load into my brain way better than doing it electronically.

For keeping track of time I have a small clocktab.com window in the corner of my screen, it works wonders to just have the time in my field of view.

Also, noise cancelling headphones are fantastic, as is stimulant medication.

yeah, i'm the same way when i wake up. i worked out my daily schedule with my therapist and included granular details like planning my work day during the first 30 minutes of my day. i've gotten a lot better about writing down tasks in my planner as they come up. what's helped me a lot is setting personal time deadlines for my tasks and creating email templates for the routine poo poo that i send out. this is stuff that i've done in the past week-two weeks and it's worked really well; the problem is STICKING WITH IT. i'm hoping to hold myself accountable by :justpost:ing about it and then setting a reminder in 2 weeks to revisit this post.

when i first started my job, i was using Clickup and keeping a running tasklist, then i fully entered my role and it was hard for me to keep up with all of my responsibilities. i need to return to using ClickUp.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

thank you, this is good advice. i can't put my computer in a separate room but maybe i can put it on opposite ends of the L-shaped desk or make it really inconvenient to log into my gaming rig outside of my set gaming time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

knox_harrington posted:

OneNote is the best :discourse: I even use in my personal life just to keep track of bills, hobbies, etc. but how are you using clocktab exactly?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

durrneez posted:

most of my flat surface space in my room is cluttered. just looking at it now, it looks like a picture from a hidden object game. what i need my space to have is a parking spot for all of my work stuff so that it takes me less mental energy to tidy at the end of my work day. when i'm putting stuff away, i don't want to figure out where everything goes each time. everything not having a parking spot is a recurring theme throughout most of my habitat :( and probably why i'm so messy. i don't have a place for everything that i use and i don't know how to create these discrete spaces in my life.

i also need to have a clear spot where i can write notes and brainstorm. the top of my desk seems to serve this purpose ~okay~ since i've installed a keyboard tray on my desk.
Use labels. Put labels on the spaces where things go and use them. Get a sheet of labels and a sharpie or whatever, or use a labelmaker, and pick up some item. When you consider that item, look at where it should go and if you don't have a spot where it goes, designate a space and label it. You can make categories all you want but having a visual reminder is useful and it specifies that this place is for this thing, not that thing. If you want to put that thing away and there is no spot for that thing, make it so one of the spots is for that thing. I even do this in my kitchen to specify which slot in the cutlery holder is for knives and which is for forks. It's like how if a grocery store runs out of something, they still know what's supposed to go in that spot on the shelf.

quote:

i can't put my computer in a separate room but maybe i can put it on opposite ends of the L-shaped desk or make it really inconvenient to log into my gaming rig outside of my set gaming time.

Whatever your spatial solution is, turn off the computer when it isn't time for that. Get into the habit of turning the computer off when you are not supposed to be using it. Attaching a ritual to things is an effective way to create habits and to solidify in your mind that you have switched modes. Make it inconvenient for you to switch so you do it less frequently and are less likely to do it when you aren't supposed to. For example, if you are forced to use one space for your gaming computer and your work computer, you can use a single monitor for both, but only one computer should be actually powered on at any time. Once you create the idea that it is okay for it to be convenient to switch, then you make it okay to switch when you shouldn't.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 24, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hi, new to the thread and also new to ADHD, I was diagnosed in October. I have several people in my life who think I should also pursue an autism diagnosis, which I plan to do someday, but for now, ADHD is quite obvious. I've also been diagnosed c-PTSD from numerous traumas throughout my life, in particular early childhood and teenage years living with a ridiculously abusive family who I'm no contact with now.

I was prescribed Vyvanse in October which I've been taking up until about 2 weeks ago. The first month on it seemed to make me better but also worse. I super-hyperfocused on things right away, but it wasn't anything I wanted to focus on. I could not stop playing one of my mobile games, I'd spend hours and hours on it and not even think about anything else. Since Vyvanse kills your appetite, I kept forgetting to eat and I had quite a few bad days where I'd feel really sick at night from not eating or drinking anything all day. After a month that stabilized out and I started to be able to do everyday things like wash my hair or do basic chores, which I really struggled with before. Then I hosed up and didn't get a doctor's appointment when I needed to and ran out of pills. And then I kept putting it off every day, until yesterday, and I have an appointment on Monday. The last couple of days I've been an absolute wreck, just crying all day every day for two days now. I've been experiencing hours long emotional flashbacks to when I was age 16-23 (39 now) and my anxiety and depression are through the roof. My face hurts a lot from being clenched up really tight for the first time in a couple years since I started working on releasing decades of tension.

Now I'm thinking I might want to try a different medication, because Vyvanse was alright, but I don't know. I guess I should just go for it. Try a few and pick my favourite.

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

The tip I've added to my work stuff lately is PomoDone. It's a pomodoro timer that you can link to a digital task list service (they have many option, including google tasks and microsoft to do and trello) and then your lists are in the app and you can start pomodoros on em quick. It also has an option to bug you if there's no timer running, because you got distracted and didn't start one. Pretty useful!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

OneNote is the best :discourse: I even use in my personal life just to keep track of bills, hobbies, etc. but how are you using clocktab exactly?

Ah I just use it to have a clock running visibly all the time. I resize a window so the numbers are an inch high and have it running in the corner, it just reminds me of the relentless passage of time

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
I got diagnosed with major depressive disorder and take wellbutrin for it. However, I'm pretty sure I've got ADD on top of that but my psychiatrist can't diagnose or prescribe medication with online visits. My main anxiety about going to see a different psych in-person is that they'll think I'm just trying to get my hands on adderall and it's been making me hesitate getting an appointment. Is this a valid fear or am I just playing myself?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gishin posted:

I got diagnosed with major depressive disorder and take wellbutrin for it. However, I'm pretty sure I've got ADD on top of that but my psychiatrist can't diagnose or prescribe medication with online visits. My main anxiety about going to see a different psych in-person is that they'll think I'm just trying to get my hands on adderall and it's been making me hesitate getting an appointment. Is this a valid fear or am I just playing myself?

Some psychs won't even put you on a stimulant first time, atomoxetine has become the go-to first med (at least in the UK) because it's not a stimulant

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gishin posted:

Ask your doctor for a referral letter if you're anxious about it. Welbutrin is also an off-label ADHD med (it's an NDRI, so it acts on dopamine reuptake) so that might help some too.

mfcrocker posted:

Some psychs won't even put you on a stimulant first time, atomoxetine has become the go-to first med (at least in the UK) because it's not a stimulant

Wow the UK sucks poo poo

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 24, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hey folks. I should keep up with this thread cuz I got it bad. I dunno the line between add and avoidant anxious behavior but between them I was always the guy rushing through everything at the last minute (and absolutely killing it :hellyeah:).

I have been working from home for a few years and I want to really enthusiastically agree with separating the spaces if at all possible. Unless your work is insanely low stress and you never feel any angst about it ever (I can't imagine doing this, anxiety is always there, looking for anything to kick up a fuss about), eventually weird work feelings will start ruining fun time. Our ancestors fought hard for precious time off from making money for others, let nothing rob you of your birthright!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wow the UK sucks poo poo

Nah, going with non-stimulants first is really common in the States too, because the side effects of stimulants are bad for some folks, plus most of them are scheduled drugs wich means more red tape and shorter perscription periods with more office visits to ensure they're not being abused or resold.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, going with non-stimulants first is really common in the States too, because the side effects of stimulants are bad for some folks, plus most of them are scheduled drugs wich means more red tape and shorter perscription periods with more office visits to ensure they're not being abused or resold.

Yeah, atomoxetine didn't work out for me and now I have to do a lot more med reviews etc on elvanse despite getting fewer side effects. Thankfully my pharmacist is chill and doesn't give me any poo poo but I've heard of people having issues getting controlled drugs, to the point that my psych warned me about the possibility

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Does anyone find it really hard to work up the energy to watch new media? Even if everyone's raving about how great it is, and I'm interested, I just feel like TV and movies leave me fatigued - it's hard to stay focused and whenever it turns to gritty/dark topics I just end up way too emotionally sensitive even if I know logically it's all acting. And cringe humour is actually physically excruciating to the extent I'll cover my eyes and ears because I just feel bad watching it. Everyone else in the world seems to netflix or whatnot to relax after work but I find it super stressful.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

coolusername posted:

Does anyone find it really hard to work up the energy to watch new media? Even if everyone's raving about how great it is, and I'm interested, I just feel like TV and movies leave me fatigued - it's hard to stay focused and whenever it turns to gritty/dark topics I just end up way too emotionally sensitive even if I know logically it's all acting. And cringe humour is actually physically excruciating to the extent I'll cover my eyes and ears because I just feel bad watching it. Everyone else in the world seems to netflix or whatnot to relax after work but I find it super stressful.

No, I'm right there with you-- once I'm into something it's usually okay but it's a slog to get there, between having to struggle to keep my focus on something that hasn't captured my attention yet (versus the constant siren call of something old and familiar) and the discomfort of cringe humor. I don't have as much trouble with sci fi or fantasy, stuff that's more removed from reality, but it can still be a challenge. Watching with someone else who's invested is the best way I've found to stick with it.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

coolusername posted:

The older I get the worse this gets for me. I just kinda stopped being able to watch TV like 5 years.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

coolusername posted:

the only serial show I have ever followed weekly/"needed" to watch was Dragonball Super, and I recognize in retrospect how much my desire for a life of pew pew ki blasts (and shouty wrestling matches amirite) lasting out of childhood says about my brain

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

coolusername posted:

I guess it's like rsd or something, but uncomfortable situations in media generally make me really stressed out and I have to pause it, and it's gotten worse as I age. I'm fine with super tense suspenseful stuff that's supposed to be stressful though.

If I actually want to relax I'll put on something I've seen before or something mindless and formulaic like a youtube let's play.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

coolusername posted:

all the time. it makes me feel terminally lazy but for some reason the thought of trying out a new tv show makes me feel incredibly tense, and a big part of it is "but what if it's bad and I wasted my time" on it. but the rest of it is just not wanting to have to struggle to watch anything passively.

there might be a solution though, I've had some luck riding an exercise bike while watching something new. I think the anxiety or fatigue is excess energy that needs to be burned off/distracted from.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

I guess it's like rsd or something, but uncomfortable situations in media generally make me really stressed out and I have to pause it, and it's gotten worse as I age. I'm fine with super tense suspenseful stuff that's supposed to be stressful though.

If I actually want to relax I'll put on something I've seen before or something mindless and formulaic like a youtube let's play.

Yeah, I don't watch romcoms at all because of it, two hours of fictional people blowing up their relationships with stuff that could be resolved in five minutes of honest communication just stresses me.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Oh god, I'm so happy you guys chimed in because I felt like the weirdo in the room. I'm okay with books since if anything super horrifyingly cringeworthy happens or I start getting frustrated I can just skip a page or two and go back if I get lost but I can't sit with someone and hit fast forward randomly.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Same here. I find it almost impossible to start a new series, and on the rare occasion that I do, I end up either stopping after 1 episode or ending up ridiculously attached and binge watching the whole thing. I'll happily re-watch old shows I've already seen a million times though, because it's easy to have as background noise while cooking or working on a project. I hate the feeling of not being able to pay attention to plot, and just the thought of having a bunch of media I feel compelled to watch (if I start something) stresses me out.

I too am also sappy as hell and react to any emotional drama.

e: I feel sort of similarly about books (and sometimes audiobooks, though there's something different happening with my brain there most of the time) too, and that's been hugely frustrating for like ~15 years. I used to read constantly when I was a teenager. College ruined me.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 27, 2021

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

mfcrocker posted:

Like hell it isn't (not for me anyway), but it is a very dirty one. I'd sooner drink six cups of strong coffee than take one dose of atomoxitine (aka Strattera).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The non-stimulant just aren't as effective for most people. The research I've seen shows stimulants like Adderall working for 80-90% of people and non-stimulants being closer to 60%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Like hell it isn't (not for me anyway), but it is a very dirty one. I'd sooner drink six cups of strong coffee than take one dose of atomoxitine (aka Strattera).

Oh atomoxetine can get hosed for what it’s worth, it’ll effect everyone differently but it gave me my first and only panic attacks of my life and I’d much rather that small risk of side-eye from a pharmacist

(Not my current pharmacist though they’re chill and largely just want me out of there asap)