Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gearman posted:

Just for clarity's sake, removing the two plastic legs on a switch won't actually ruin it. The switch will still work exactly the same, and removing (clipping) the two plastic legs is a very common thing for people to do.

Yeah I should have been more clear. Clipping the legs doesn't break the switch or even make it unusable in boards with 5 pin holes. The legs are just there to help align and stabilize the switch which proves especially helpful when building a board with a solder pcb.

Also throwing my hat in the ring for the Box Navies. The click is just so sharp and satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So, Sculpt keyboard comes in this weekend. Any advice on adapting from standard keyboards to ergo? I never learned the "right" way to touch type, so that's going to be a process already, but anything unexpected to account for?
(Yes, I know the Sculpt is not the best there ever was, but it's the best that was "free" to me.)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Now y'all got me thinking I should buy some box navies...

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Gearman posted:

Now y'all got me thinking I should buy some box navies...

I mean, do you want to feel like every keystroke is like hulk-smashing through a table? Okay maybe that's an exaggeration Do you want a deeper, better sound than Cherry MX Blue?

Of course you do!

This video is pretty good, and not just because of the guy's voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWtKJDY9Aqk

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
every other clicky switch just sounds like a sloppy mess after typing on Box Navies

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I was wondering if box jades would feel nicer than my box whites.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
Thanks for all the suggestions - I’ll put box navies on enter, esc and space bar. I got both jades and navies in the tester box and liked them both. Navies felt a bit too heavy to type on, but jades felt perfect.
I love that there is a very distinct tactile feeling both on the downstroke and upstroke. All of the other non-clickbar clicky switches, as well as tactile switches felt much worse.
Surprisingly, I actually liked some of the linear switches, so that’s something to try out later.

I didn’t realize that Austin goes for $1200 - that is a bit steep for me.

GMMK is coming out with a Pro version of their 75% keyboard. Looks pretty nice and not too expensive. I’m considering getting that plus a keypad combination.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Dr Cheesequake posted:

GMMK is coming out with a Pro version of their 75% keyboard. Looks pretty nice and not too expensive. I’m considering getting that plus a keypad combination.

Related to this specifically - is there a keypad/numpad that people like out there? Especially one with hotswap sockets; but I feel like I'm getting really deep into a specialized niche going that far. Most of what I see available are cut-down macropads, which don't fit my need.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Gunder posted:

Yeah, I was wondering if box jades would feel nicer than my box whites.
IMO they feel and sound much nicer than Box Whites but I also type pretty heavily.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Related to this specifically - is there a keypad/numpad that people like out there? Especially one with hotswap sockets; but I feel like I'm getting really deep into a specialized niche going that far. Most of what I see available are cut-down macropads, which don't fit my need.
I like my Cospad a lot but somebody else put hotswap sockets on that, it doesn't normally come with them. There's also the GK21s and you can get a MA21 with hotswap sockets installed.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Argh, it's loving impossible to find a Ducky One 2 SF white in ISO anywhere.

Or just a decent 65% ISO board tbh.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
This may warrant its own thread in HoTS, but before I do that: I can't type question mark. Forward slash works. All other keys work. I'm using a Logitech G815. I've tried:

* Restarting
* Uninstalling all keyboard devices, then restarting
* Plugging in a different keyboard
* Making sure Windows 10 is updated

The weirdest thing is that I can't even type question mark with the on-screen keyboard. It's like something's intercepting the keystroke right away before it gets to anything else.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Did Novel Keys ever fix the issue with some Box Jades struggling to always return the key to neutral after being pressed? I've seen a lot of reports of some Box Jade springs having this issue.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

CyberPingu posted:

Argh, it's loving impossible to find a Ducky One 2 SF white in ISO anywhere.

Or just a decent 65% ISO board tbh.

If you want to build a decent 65%, the Nibble 65 might be up your alley. Otherwise, check out the Keebwerk Mega, which should launch soon(tm).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ringo Star Get posted:

Huge fan of the Akko boards, what does a Gateron Orange feel like, though?

loving win is what. Like a much more refined Brown. I am FULLY onboard with these for my future builds.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

IMO they feel and sound much nicer than Box Whites but I also type pretty heavily.

I like my Cospad a lot but somebody else put hotswap sockets on that, it doesn't normally come with them. There's also the GK21s and you can get a MA21 with hotswap sockets installed.

This guy does the hot swap boards that go in the Cospa case: https://www.lfkeyboards.com/lfkpad/

Ordered mine a few weeks ago and don’t expect to see it for a while yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

This may warrant its own thread in HoTS, but before I do that: I can't type question mark. Forward slash works. All other keys work. I'm using a Logitech G815. I've tried:

* Restarting
* Uninstalling all keyboard devices, then restarting
* Plugging in a different keyboard
* Making sure Windows 10 is updated

The weirdest thing is that I can't even type question mark with the on-screen keyboard. It's like something's intercepting the keystroke right away before it gets to anything else.

So I was going to give you a bunch of troubleshooting advice for mechanical keyswitches until you said it doesn't work with the on-screen keyboard as well, which indicates a software problem rather than hardware. I'd check regional settings first to confirm the keyboard layout, and then accessibility settings.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Midjack posted:

This guy does the hot swap boards that go in the Cospa case: https://www.lfkeyboards.com/lfkpad/

Oh sweet, tbh I should get one because I find the Mill-Max sockets a bit of a pain (too easy to bend switch pins putting them in) and there's one where there shouldn't be (from an alternate layout) that makes one of my stabs slightly crooked which means it sticks occasionally, :rip:

e: oh nice it's USB-C too, I'm totally sick of trying to find remotely acceptable looking and reasonably priced mini-USB cables.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

Midjack posted:

This is perfect! Going to order this and the gmmk pro.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so my 4 year old https://www.realforce.co.jp/en/products/realforce_rgb/ just died

basically I want a board that is the same, without RGBs, and is better value

what should I be looking at to replace it?

edit: should say - the realforce RGB was 293AUD when I got it but is now 350AUD, which is mad. the non RGB realforce is 329AUD. I don't know anything about them but for PRICE reference this Ducky One 2 Phantom is 180AUD and closer to the amount I want to spend which is more like 250AUD at the most compared to 350...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 20, 2021

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Qmass posted:

so my 4 year old https://www.realforce.co.jp/en/products/realforce_rgb/ just died

basically I want a board that is the same, without RGBs, and is better value

what should I be looking at to replace it?

Value isn't even going to enter the equation, your options are limited if you want a full-size topre with media controls.
- Realforce R2 Limited Edition Full Size
- Epomaker NiZ Plum x108 (only comes in 35g)

There is also the Leopold FC980C which is a 96% board.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

If you want to build a decent 65%, the Nibble 65 might be up your alley. Otherwise, check out the Keebwerk Mega, which should launch soon(tm).

That Keebwerk is twice the price of a ducky...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

mewse posted:

So I was going to give you a bunch of troubleshooting advice for mechanical keyswitches until you said it doesn't work with the on-screen keyboard as well, which indicates a software problem rather than hardware. I'd check regional settings first to confirm the keyboard layout, and then accessibility settings.

Thanks, I was also thinking it was software-related. I ended up going through task manager and turning off tasks to see if any of them were the culprit. It ended up being one of the 20,000 Nvidia processes running on my PC.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Thanks, I was also thinking it was software-related. I ended up going through task manager and turning off tasks to see if any of them were the culprit. It ended up being one of the 20,000 Nvidia processes running on my PC.

Well that's wacky. I think DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) is the recognized way to actually clear out nvidia crap if you wanna do that and install fresh&latest drivers

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is it common for PBT shine throughs to be orange/red tinted? I've tried Drop Skylight and Razor PBT sets as easy easily sourced shine through PBT caps but the tinting is a little disappointing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

https://www.velocifiretech.com/product/sun20-pad/

Ziploc posted:

Is it common for PBT shine throughs to be orange/red tinted? I've tried Drop Skylight and Razor PBT sets as easy easily sourced shine through PBT caps but the tinting is a little disappointing.

I have the white Drop skylights and they def aren't tinted. So I'm gonna say no?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 21, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is that thing pre-built or is it a kit?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

CyberPingu posted:

That Keebwerk is twice the price of a ducky...

Now, let's be fair here: the Mega doesn't include switches or keycaps, so it's more like three times the price of a Ducky.

There is also the CU65 from Caps Unlocked, which is another hotswap ISO board and cheaper (but still more expensive than the Ducky). It also has an integrated plate, which might or might not be a deal breaker.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.velocifiretech.com/product/sun20-pad/

I have the white Drop skylights and they def aren't tinted. So I'm gonna say no?

It's a slight tint. The PBT replacements are definitely warmer than the ABS caps that came with my keyboard. I tried to photo it. But it doesn't really show. I swear I heard something mention it when I was youtubing around for reviews.

Gotta say though, compared to the Razor PBT cap set, the Drops are impressively crisp with labels that are noticeably thicker as well. But I guess they better, since they're like double the price of the Razor set.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for good shine through PBT sets?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gunder posted:

Is that thing pre-built or is it a kit?

It does not come with switches or keycaps.
It is a case + PCB + plate and screws.
There is no soldering required though, it's just big kid legos.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm on box whites. Are the navies going to be too much for me, or will I only feel bitter disappointment for getting the halfway house if I get the jades?

I still haven't got a good feel for how much force I actually want under a key.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

I'm on box whites. Are the navies going to be too much for me, or will I only feel bitter disappointment for getting the halfway house if I get the jades?

I'm not a clicky switch guy but I'm also not a heavy spring guy, and I like box whites more than box navys. The heavier click is ok but the stiffness I don't find pleasant. Box jades might be better.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mewse posted:

I'm not a clicky switch guy but I'm also not a heavy spring guy, and I like box whites more than box navys. The heavier click is ok but the stiffness I don't find pleasant. Box jades might be better.

I know it took me a couple tries to figure it out.
• Cherry MX Greens were good, but just kinda felt like they were "missing something"
• Cherry MX Gray felt like garbage (too stiff, no satisfying click)
• BOX Navy finally felt close to what I was looking for

I figure someday I might want to try Topre and Buckling Spring just to see what those do for me.

Speaking of, would Topre be good for gaming?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Almost anything is good for gaming tbh as long as it's 6KRO and above.

It's all just personal preference on what feels good to you at the heat of the moment. I don't like heavier switches for games that require lots of use of Left Shift since it can get fatiguing. (like slide cancelling in COD:Warzone, or games that you have to hold LShift to sprint)

I think Topre in particular is pretty popular with Korean moba pros actually.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nam Taf posted:

Jades are just about as clicky but not as heavy.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

If you are happy with the force needed to actuate Whites, I’d go Jades. Navy is really heavy, like can be fatiguing to type on heavy.

If you want to try before you really commit, grab a Box Switch tester.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D9DDJ6B/

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zarin posted:

I know it took me a couple tries to figure it out.
• Cherry MX Greens were good, but just kinda felt like they were "missing something"
• Cherry MX Gray felt like garbage (too stiff, no satisfying click)
• BOX Navy finally felt close to what I was looking for

I figure someday I might want to try Topre and Buckling Spring just to see what those do for me.

Speaking of, would Topre be good for gaming?

Topre is going to be really underwhelming tbh, especially compared to box navies. You'll probably find it mushy without either a satisfying click or a smooth press.

I have a Type Heaven board and I don't hate it or regret buying it, but it's best used I think in an office as a "dampened mechanical" type deal- nowadays there are plenty of other silenced switches too so that niche isn't as empty as it used to be though.

Buckling springs will feel very similar to navies but with a totally different sound profile. Because the whole spring is flexing against the switch wall and baseplate you get a lot more pinging and ringing when you're really hammering the switches typing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Now, let's be fair here: the Mega doesn't include switches or keycaps, so it's more like three times the price of a Ducky.

There is also the CU65 from Caps Unlocked, which is another hotswap ISO board and cheaper (but still more expensive than the Ducky). It also has an integrated plate, which might or might not be a deal breaker.

I ended up just buying a One 2 SF from mech keys. Also pre ordered the SF mecha but I'm not optimistic that that order will be filled.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Probably my favorite keyboard I've ever had, my SIIG jk-us0412-s1 is getting kind of worn out and I'd like to find something similar but new*. I know most of you guys are all about the chunky mechanical switches but I like the short actuation distance with the feedback a scissor lift with a membrane like in this thing or keyboard on the old Lenovo T420 I have laying around gives you and am wondering if anyone makes something like this anymore.

The 'low profile' Cherry switches I've tried on the demo boards at Microcenter don't feel right because of the lack of actuation point and the regular Browns are... fine, but I still kinda miss the shorter travel. I've also tried a Razr membrane-only board and didn't like it much, either.

* I'm also thinking about opening it up and swapping some of the membranes around to refresh my WASD keys, but that'll only extend the life for so long

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Kailh has a lot of low profile options: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000803757746.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

Probably my favorite keyboard I've ever had, my SIIG jk-us0412-s1 is getting kind of worn out and I'd like to find something similar but new*. I know most of you guys are all about the chunky mechanical switches but I like the short actuation distance with the feedback a scissor lift with a membrane like in this thing or keyboard on the old Lenovo T420 I have laying around gives you and am wondering if anyone makes something like this anymore.

The 'low profile' Cherry switches I've tried on the demo boards at Microcenter don't feel right because of the lack of actuation point and the regular Browns are... fine, but I still kinda miss the shorter travel. I've also tried a Razr membrane-only board and didn't like it much, either.

* I'm also thinking about opening it up and swapping some of the membranes around to refresh my WASD keys, but that'll only extend the life for so long

You might like the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard, it's low profile