Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

anyone else having shipping delays with Costco online? I ordered an item one week ago with a delivery date for yesterday but there is no status. maybe it's the nasty weather

edit: pitiful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

priznat posted:

What's something ya'll get every trip to the costco?

croissants, giant trays of berries, Dave’s bread, ptarmigan cheese, rotisserie chicken, frozen broccoli

Also lolling at the ptarmigan cheese autocorrect and not changing it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

priznat posted:

What's something ya'll get every trip to the costco?
A deeper loathing of my coworkers

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

anyone else having shipping delays with Costco online? I ordered an item one week ago with a delivery date for yesterday but there is no status. maybe it's the nasty weather

I’ve had three family members order TVs and appliances and they’ve all had week or month long delays over the last quarter or so.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Wish the website would hurry up and get the cosequin cat sprinkle capsules, even if they're not on sale I'm on my last bottle, and I don't like buying pet supplements off amazon given their supply-chain bullshit

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ArbitraryC posted:

Considering you'd have to spend *checks notes* neaarly 25k at costco to get that much back it's pretty safe to assume you will in fact spend 500 there sometime soon. On average you spend 2 grand a month at costco.

jesus christ nearly 34k. Any higher and you'd be at 3 grand a month!

Its 2% right, so 2 bucks back every 100 you spend? Someone tell me my math is wrong.

No. It's the card. You get cashback on everything. I go to Costco about every 2 months and spend under $200.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you aren't buying something with an increased rate you should be using a double cash card instead though. It's just leaving money on the table not to

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

The refrigerated tikka masala is the bomb dot com. Especially if you live in a place without any north Indian style restaurants.

Yeah it's super good. But check the nutrition label on it. Yikes.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Anything that shipped at the end of last week is turbofucked by the polar vortex.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaius Marius posted:

If you aren't buying something with an increased rate you should be using a double cash card instead though. It's just leaving money on the table not to

I have the Citi Double Cash card. Is that better? I don't know where to find my perks on their website.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have the Citi Double Cash card. Is that better? I don't know where to find my perks on their website.

That's just a flat 2% on everything (technically 1% when you buy and 1% when you pay but w/e)

I use the Costco card mostly for the enhanced warranty and just out of habit. In the grand scheme of things that extra 1% isn't that big of a deal.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

What's something ya'll get every trip to the costco? I get the croissants every time, they get eaten up fast in my house. That's pretty much the guaranteed thing I get.

I probably hit the 'co every six to eight weeks.

Every time:
- those packs of rotisserie chicken meat. They freeze well. Half a pack goes into a curry for a quick dinner. I make curried chicken salad with the other half. OR I use the whole thing to make a quick chicken pot pie
- taco tray. Kid loves it. I'm not a fan of corn tortillas, but the ones they include seem pretty good to this gringo
- trail mix OR honey mustard mix (or both, this last trip) because everybody loves a little snack during Zoom calls

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yay the pretzel rolls are back, and in a far more manageable portion size this time :)

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Most of the time when I go to church I get at least four bags of this:

https://www.amazon.com/C-Weed-Snacks-Seaweed-Crunch-Almonds/dp/B07493L466

Great low carb snacks.

Honestly I haven't really been to Costco since last March. My local Costco is too crowded for me to be comfortable in. So it's been a while since I had one of those.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Pinus Porcus posted:

That's the stuff. Not too bad, especially considering the price

nice! i picked it up, too, because the bottle looks so pretty and i had a nigori once, like, 10 years ago and enjoyed it. glad to hear that you like it!!

priznat posted:

What's something ya'll get every trip to the costco? I get the croissants every time, they get eaten up fast in my house. That's pretty much the guaranteed thing I get.

i go very infrequently. i usually pick up something easy for dinner (take n bake pot pie, salad + croissant sandwiches, street tacos, or a rotisserie chicken if i have salad or veggies for a soup at home), a treat for my husband, a bag of trail mix, vinegar, pasta, and sometimes pasta sauce. i used to get the pesto every trip but now that costco carries rao’s, im on a little pesto hiatus.

the croissants are so good! my favorite way to prep them is to preheat the oven and a cast iron skillet, cut the croissant in half, slap in some pesto, fill the croissant with shredded rotisserie chicken, and then put it in the cast iron skillet in the oven u til it’s nice and crunchy. also straight out of the box on the drive home is a 10/10 snack.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

You sinners I go every week to get gas since my lady drives a lot and probably biweekly to shop and tithe. Low effort Costco church attendance in this thread.

E: I got the Costco popcorn and this is delicious.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

durrneez posted:

nice! i picked it up, too, because the bottle looks so pretty and i had a nigori once, like, 10 years ago and enjoyed it. glad to hear that you like it!.

If you do it chilled, they are serious about lightly chilled. We had ours in the fridge for 2 days and needed to let it warm a bit to get the best flavor.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fizzymercy posted:

Having good credit sounds magical :allears: It's like you fill out a bunch of mystical paperwork and *poof* free money!

That's more or less normal. The poorer you are, the more expensive everything is.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Went to Costco today and they had a sample cart out with a nice piece of stale toast on display.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

priznat posted:

Cabbot Extra Sharp Cheddar.

Tillamook is ok, I guess, in a pinch. You west coast folks don't know what you're missing out on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
back when Costco did the takeout chicken Caesar salads I used to go in every week and buy like 4 of them + usually a pack of their cilantro lime shrimp. I’d toss a bunch of shrimp into a few of the salads for variety, then bring them into lab at the beginning of the week and keep them in the breakroom fridge for lunch.

In hindsight that convenience was pretty wasteful (so much plastic) and I wouldn’t go back to doing things exactly like that again, but I do miss the hell out of the front-of-house Caesar salads. I know you can still get a family pack version in the deli, and all of the ingredients (the ones that matter are really the dressing, cheese, and chicken) are readily available.

About a decade ago I worked for a company that was about 3 minutes from a Costco and I would get a lot (most?) of my lunches there. The salad was a great palate cleanser for so many hot dogs, pizza slices, and chicken bakes. And sometimes if you’re feeling extra hungry who says you can’t do salad+a hot dog, and get your drink taken care of too?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Cabbot Extra Sharp Cheddar.

Tillamook is ok, I guess, in a pinch. You west coast folks don't know what you're missing out on.

It's me. The west coast person who gets a block of tillamook cheddar at every costco visit.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Fartington Butts posted:

It's me. The west coast person who gets a block of tillamook cheddar at every costco visit.

How many people do you have in your house that this is economical? I always drool at the cheese selections, but then I worry about slipping into a world where I only eat cheese for a week because "it's gonna get moldy soon..."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MrQueasy posted:

How many people do you have in your house that this is economical? I always drool at the cheese selections, but then I worry about slipping into a world where I only eat cheese for a week because "it's gonna get moldy soon..."

Cheese lasts for ever.

You can just cut the mold off. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrQueasy posted:

YOu've never eaten a block of cheese by yourself?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh man I could only ever buy that cheese brick if I had a Mac and cheese to make for an event.

Absolute heaven to have a medium or sharp cheddar block turned into a pile of shreds.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Iron Crowned posted:

YOu've never eaten a block of cheese by yourself?

Perhaps I should have added "again" to my scenario.

MarcusSA posted:

Cheese lasts for ever.

You can just cut the mold off. :shrug:

I've miscalculated how far the mold has penetrated the cheese in my youth, and it still haunts me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just keep the cheese in a Ziploc bag and cut off a section of each side of it gets stinky. There's never visible mold. After you do that, change the Ziploc bag.

But you can't post that without telling us the whole story now!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrQueasy posted:

Perhaps I should have added "again" to my scenario.

I don't understand, why wouldn't you do it again?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

StormDrain posted:

Absolute heaven to have a medium or sharp cheddar block turned into a pile of shreds.

Or a nice Ploughman's Lunch.

Ploughman's Lunch, base model:

It combines three of my favorite things: cheese, onion and grabbing things with bread.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Fartington Butts posted:

the Sonoma Jack brand pepper jack cheese that west coast costcos have is really good!!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I like the Kerrygold Dubliner sharp cheddar, but I don't buy it often because it's too calorie dense and easy for me to eat more of than I should. Same thing with Bitchin' Sauce sadly.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I cut up big blocks of cheese into manageable pieces, vacuum seal and put them in the freezer.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

MrQueasy posted:

I have two and it lasts for ever, go get you some cheese bro

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
ABC, Always Be Cheezin'

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that cheese mold digs tendrils down into the block, so that cutting off the visible part doesn't remove all of it.
:shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

poisonpill posted:

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that cheese mold digs tendrils down into the block, so that cutting off the visible part doesn't remove all of it.
:shrug:

If you can't taste it, it doesn't exist

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We got four adults and two kids and go through at least a block of Tilamook a week. We usually pick up two blocks every time we go.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Barry posted:

I cut up big blocks of cheese into manageable pieces, vacuum seal and put them in the freezer.

This is great advice, I just bought a vacuum sealer at Costco

Like a month ago, I bought a sliced cheddar/colby jack pack and discovered it was reduced fat and it got moldy in a week so I had to throw it out, which was great.

The giant block of parmesan is still going strong, though. It is a drier cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vacuum sealer and a chest freezer if you don't already own one are the two most practical purchases you can make as a new Costco member.