Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Psycho Goreman is single-handedly responsible for turning around 2021 on a dime while also undoing large swaths of the Trump presidency.

It is a film that cannot be praised enough.

It can only be worshiped in the peripheral of one's vision because looking at this film straight on will cause blindness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
PG just looks like it has such potential for being obnoxious. My brain refuses to imagine a version that isn't just Kung Fury.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

anyone know when Psycho Goreman is coming to Shudder? I might rent it this weekend but if it'll be on Shudder in a couple weeks or something I can wait

e: grammar is hard

All I've heard is spring. If I had to guess I'd say around April/May.

I can totally understand the inclination to think it's obnoxious, but I don't think it actually does much winking at the camera exactly. I think what connected with me is that for a movie about an evil alien overlord, it has an earnestness to it that really works for me. It's not just someone pressing irony buttons, it's Kostanski really putting a lot of love into his creature craft and script.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It never looks at you and says welcome to the 1990’s.

It uses its aesthetic as the only way they could tell that story at that budget.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

anyone know when Psycho Goreman is coming to Shudder? I might rent it this weekend but if it'll be on Shudder in a couple weeks or something I can wait

e: grammar is hard

People are saying May. I was operating under the thought that it was going to be in March :qq:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

March for the Blu Ray yeah. Not for shudder

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

PG just looks like it has such potential for being obnoxious. My brain refuses to imagine a version that isn't just Kung Fury.

Yeah it's not that I don't want to trust goons. But the trailer gave me Kung Fury vibes as well and I really can't do those intentionally bad movies with synthwave soundtracks. It's probably way better than the impression I got from the 2 minute trailer I watched though.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Judging a movie : It's trailer :: Judging a book : It's cover

When I see a trailer for a movie I might possibly enjoy I make a mental note and then shut off that sucker immediately and shun all successive promotions.

Because even if it doesn't give away the turn- it'll set my expectations up for inevitable failure.

I honestly believe you're doing movies a disservice if you go in anything but completely blind.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Tossing into the pile another “PG is solid fun” coin. It’s more fun than funny (but it is also pretty funny!) which sets it a part from movies that are bad-on-purpose, to me. It’s really just a good movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

John Carpenter in 1988: *releases They Live*

John Carpenter in 2021:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I want to get a monster costume to scare the kids in my hallway

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's not that I don't want to trust goons. But the trailer gave me Kung Fury vibes as well and I really can't do those intentionally bad movies with synthwave soundtracks. It's probably way better than the impression I got from the 2 minute trailer I watched though.

It’s 100% not that. When it uses stop motion it doesn’t do it to be cheeky. It does it because that’s the only way to do it at that budget. It’s sincere as gently caress. The monsters are all great and well designed but also cheesy power rangers level monsters due to the budget. It never stops and is like “lol look how dumb this looks lol”

It just is.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
John Carpenter games.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I would say definitely temper your expectations for PG, but give it a chance. I spent a fair bit of time during the first half wishing it was just a little better than it was, but by the end it had won me over. If you expect to find it grating you'll definitely feel some of that early on. If you're like me it will be well worth enduring.

I think most of the issues were just not-quite-good-enough dialogue for the kid playing the daughter. They really made her do a lot of heavy lifting - there were some great bits for her and she was clearly into it, but there were also a bunch of misfires and just nothing else going on for huge swathes of movie.

I hope Alastair comes around I think she was really good for him

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well this looks dreadful, but ok.

quote:

Full Moon Features is furthering the Miskatonic U series (previous films include From Beyond, Re-Animator, Lurking Fear) with a new, two-part feature film, The Resonator: Miskatonic U, inspired by both the works of legendary fiction writer H.P. Lovecraft and beloved genre director Stuart Gordon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJDeV3dRS8

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah... Looks bad. Still kinda want to watch it though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah... Looks bad. Still kinda want to watch it though.

It only went into production in early January, and it’s coming out next week. That kind of rushed filming/post really makes a film look ropey.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1362494646400778248?s=21
There’s really no need for a remake of Train to Busan, but The Night Comes For Us rips so I’ll end up seeing it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Should be called from behind.

Because it looks like rear end

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Iron Crowned posted:

:negative:

I really need to buy more non-horror movies

I was going to agree, but then I looked at my collection and horror makes up only 1/3rd of my movie collection, maybe less if you count DVDs. I really need to buy more horror movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That got me curious what percentage of my collection is horror. Thanks to Letterboxd I was able to easily see this. 31.2%. Not bad.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

aware of dog posted:

There’s really no need for a remake of Train to Busan, but The Night Comes For Us rips so I’ll end up seeing it

Yeah Timo’s involvement really excites me. Night Comes for Us is dope af, Headshot is great and I liked his segment for VHS2

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://streamable.com/15ehg6

Hunky boys, indeed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The growth of my horror collection has slowed down because I have most of the stuff I feel like I "need", and almost everything else I'd like to have is from these boutique labels where it's hard to justify more than maybe treating myself to one or two each October.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This month I finally added Candyman to my collection and equally as importantly a 3 pack of It '90, The Shining '97, and Salem's Lot '04. I beam with pride.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scream factory Candyman for 10 bucks at Walmart was a sublime purchase

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'll go ahead and give Save Yourselves! a recommendation. Its a interesting indie horror comedy about a alien invasion. It was way more comedy than horror but it was still good.

It doesn't feature any hunky boys though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 19, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Upon a re-watch, I've realized that The New York Ripper is the greatest giallo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

Ignoring one of the biggest and most versatile genres in literature, film, and gaming to dunk on the conservatives 🙄

Watch some Star Trek, especially TNG. I think you'd enjoy it. If the politics of science fiction is what turns you off, Star Trek is pretty much based around humanity coming together and helping each other and uniting, basically the opposite of everything youve described you dislike about sci-fi. I think you'd actually really find yourself digging it.

I've watched Star Tracks you silly. I dislike/am apprehensive to the genre I don't swear it off.

Star Trek's got some really loving lovely episodes tho.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

aware of dog posted:

Train to Boston with Marky Mark and Matt Damon as the daughter, Ben Affleck can be the train conductor. Everyone has a Boston accent the way leo DiCaprio had a Boston accent in the Departed. Also the theme song is a slow ballad version of Shipping Off to Boston by Ghost

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Spatulater bro! posted:

Upon a re-watch, I've realized that The New York Ripper is the greatest giallo.

Been on my list forever, maybe it will be the movie that breaks my "I don't actually like Lucio Fulci that much??" streak.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

married but discreet posted:

Been on my list forever, maybe it will be the movie that breaks my "I don't actually like Lucio Fulci that much??" streak.

Eh, I dunno if this one will convert you. It's Fulci at his Fulciest.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What other Fulci have you seen? And are you more a giallo fan or a supernatural horror fan? I might have some recs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, it really depends. If you don't like Fulci because you saw The Beyond and City of the Living Dead and they don't make any sense, New York Ripper is a different kind of movie. But IMO Lizard in a Woman's Skin is a better giallo, and Murder Rock is a better slasher. (The only problem with Murder Rock is that the music isn't...rock, or very good at all.)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

That got me curious what percentage of my collection is horror. Thanks to Letterboxd I was able to easily see this. 31.2%. Not bad.

just checked and mine is 69% :cool:

That's higher in reality, probably more like 75%. Sometimes Letterboxd doesn't have things tagged as horror that definitely should be (like, Richard Stanley's Hardware), and then horror-adjacent stuff that isn't tagged that I would count (Lost Highway, Hobo With a Shotgun, Frailty, to name a couple I saw at a glance)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I liked Willy's Wonderland but wasn't a fan of how they shot most of the fight scenes.

Lmao that they used the line They're trapped in here with him!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What other Fulci have you seen? And are you more a giallo fan or a supernatural horror fan? I might have some recs.

The Black Cat (1981)
City of the Living Dead (1980)
Zombie (1979)
The Beyond (1981)
Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)
House by the Cemetery (1981)
Aenigma (1987)

I love both giallo and supernatural horror. Of Fulci's I only genuinely liked The Black Cat, and in retrospect I thought Don't Torture and City of the LD were ok.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 8 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, February 20th

1900 John Dies at the End
2050 Eraserhead

Monday, February 22nd

1900 The Incredible Shrinking Man
2030 3 From Hell

Content Warnings

Eraserhead (1978)
Contains strong gore and disturbing surreal imagery

John Dies At The End (2013)
Contains strong language, comic violence, horror and gore

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
Contains mild threat and horror

3 From Hell (2019)
strong bloody violence, sexual threat, very strong language

:spooky: Sunday Chill Stream :spooky:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

0900 Girl 6 (1996)
1100 North by Northwest (1959)
1325 Maximum Overdrive (1986)
1510 Happy-Go-Lucky (2008)
1720 The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)
1930 Suspiria (1977)
2120 Suspiria (2018)
2355 Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984)

Content Warnings

Girl 6
Rated R for explicit sexual dialogue and some nudity

North by Northwest
Contains mild violence and sex references

Maximum Overdrive
Contains strong language, violence and bloody horror

Happy-Go-Lucky
Contains strong language

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Contains frequent hard drug use, sex and very strong language

Suspiria (1977)
Contains strong violence

Suspiria (2018)
Strong bloody violence, injury detail

Black Devil Doll From Hell
Strong sexual scenes with a creepy doll with bad breath

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Black Cat (1981)
City of the Living Dead (1980)
Zombie (1979)
The Beyond (1981)
Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)
House by the Cemetery (1981)
Aenigma (1987)

I love both giallo and supernatural horror. Of Fulci's I only genuinely liked The Black Cat, and in retrospect I thought Don't Torture and City of the LD were ok.

Top of my recommendations would be The Psychic and Lizard in a Woman's Skin. Two really good giallo, the latter starting to lean in the hallucinatory direction Fulci would go in some of his later stuff.

If you want to see something truly bonkers and... arguably awesome, Conquest is a perverted 13 year old's D&D campaign come to life

not horror, but if you like Westerns i'll also shout out Four of the Apocalypse, very good mean spaghetti western

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've had Four of the Apocalypse on my watchlist for a while but wasn't sure about Conquest. Guess I'll have to bump both up in the near future.