Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Discendo Vox posted:

Lanius always wears a mask and stories about him are inconsistent. One character, I forget who, points out that it's very much in keeping with Caesar's MO to have built up Lanius as a fictional propaganda persona with a mostly fake background and multiple body doubles, just to avoid the problems of fallibility that Graham had. It is by no means confirmed as canon.

edit: it's ulysses the windbag, which makes it even more dubious.

I always thought it was just Caesar doing whatever he could to wipe the memory of Joshua from everyone’s minds, so he made poo poo up about being 10 feet tall and killing entire armies with his bare hands and being the son of Mars or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caeser worked so hard to erase the memory of the burned man that he put him on his currency. I've got a weird feeling they forgot to change that when they hammered out the legion.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Lanius always wears a mask and stories about him are inconsistent. One character, I forget who, points out that it's very much in keeping with Caesar's MO to have built up Lanius as a fictional propaganda persona with a mostly fake background and multiple body doubles, just to avoid the problems of fallibility that Graham had. It is by no means confirmed as canon.

edit: it's ulysses the windbag, which makes it even more dubious.

What's contradictory about Lanius? People have different interpretations of his personality, but his background doesn't seem particularly convoluted, and the lack of scars on his face was likely due to the fact that doing a separate race specifically for Lanius for those players who loot him and check his face just wasn't a worthy use of time.

Also, lmao at "Courier is the Vault 3 survivor", "No-bark is the chosen one" and "Dust mod is the true ending"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Also, lmao at "No-bark is the chosen one"

I mean...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If Mr New vegas is an AI, how does he get interviews with people like No-Bark? Securitron or maybe an Eyebot?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

What's contradictory about Lanius? People have different interpretations of his personality, but his background doesn't seem particularly convoluted, and the lack of scars on his face was likely due to the fact that doing a separate race specifically for Lanius for those players who loot him and check his face just wasn't a worthy use of time.

In caesar's camp, Antony and Lucius offer stories about him that completely contradict Caesar's narrative. Lucius states Lanius was born a slave of the legion and worked up the ranks, and Antony says that Lanius's tribe were allowed to live and join the legion in full.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

In caesar's camp, Antony and Lucius offer stories about him that completely contradict Caesar's narrative. Lucius states Lanius was born a slave of the legion and worked up the ranks, and Antony says that Lanius's tribe were allowed to live and join the legion in full.

that's likely a mistake in the writing rather than an intentionally placed contradiction, but it makes the world more fun anyway.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Image is broken

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Image is broken

It's loading fine for me :shrug:

Imgur was being fucky earlier when I uploaded. It's snowing hard outside.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I'm inclined to think it's intentional. Mythologize Lanius, make him less of a man and more of a demigod. Remove all traces of his past that anyone can point to concretely and declare this is where he is from, or identifiers so that people can say that this is who he is. His slaves are struck blind for reasons other than vanity, I wager.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ThaumPenguin posted:

Image is broken

It's working for me too and it's a good one

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

It's working for me too and it's a good one

???

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

idk what to tell you lol

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Commie Ghouls Don't Want You To See THIS Shocking Image!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Halser posted:

that's likely a mistake in the writing rather than an intentionally placed contradiction, but it makes the world more fun anyway.

Ulysses (ugh) also talks up the idea that it's deliberate misdirection, multiple people wearing the mask.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Ulysses (ugh) also talks up the idea that it's deliberate misdirection, multiple people wearing the mask.

interesting, then. I haven't played LR in several years, forgot that bit.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

idk what to tell you lol

Imgur, my enemy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Halser posted:

interesting, then. I haven't played LR in several years, forgot that bit.

And who can blame you?

(I am still planning to write up an LR redesign fanfic, but it's backburnered vs work projects and serious subject effortposts and payday 2 mod updates)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Discendo Vox posted:

And who can blame you?

(I am still planning to write up an LR redesign fanfic, but it's backburnered vs work projects and serious subject effortposts and payday 2 mod updates)

I trust it will be suitably depraved?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Nobody Interesting posted:

I trust it will be suitably depraved?

"Bear and Bull" gets a whole new meaning

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can you stand to bear my bare Bull?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Was there a resident of Vault 3 who escaped the Fiends who gets mentioned at some point? Or did this person making a Fallout New Vegas Deep Lore meme gently caress up when trying to mention Vault 11?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0e3n42kpZg

2house2fly posted:

Or did this person making a Fallout New Vegas Deep Lore meme gently caress up when trying to mention Vault 11?

Yes

EDIT: To be honest, I almost never talk to Lucius or Antony and didn't remember they had dialogue about Lanius. The fact that those versions differ so little makes me think it was probably just early draft stuff that wasn't edited, but it's possible that Caesar just gave you the most pompous and scary way to present Lanius to scare you into thinking his army is unstoppable now. I genuinely doubt there's some secret Lanius bunker where a bunch of doppelgangers meet or something, the game makes it pretty clear that there's one Lanius who's next in the line of succession, and pretty much none of the ending slides where Caesar is dead make sense without that lynchpin.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 20, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"No, I'm Lanius"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's actually Jimmy over at Casa Madrid.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Thanks, I will take a look.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Based on interviews with Todd Howard, it'll be a heavily refurbished version of the Creation engine. Initially that might sound bad, but considering how much devtime BGS has been given between Fallout 4 and Starfield (and the claims that they've gone from ~100 to ~400 devs), it might actually turn out decently. As far as I'm aware, none of the engine's problems are irreparable, they're mostly the result of imperfect implementations and technical debt spurred by limited devtime. They sure don't have that problem now.

Of course there's still the... writing issue.

Good to know. Fallout 4's engine was at least a step in the right direction.

As for the writing I guess we can be thankful they're not Blizzard. :nexus:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I wonder how many engine revisions they'll go through before they finally conquer "Working ladders"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PinheadSlim posted:

I wonder how many engine revisions they'll go through before they finally conquer "Working ladders"

Solid Project Mod had a working ladder function in New Vegas that only occasionally let you ladder climb up tge side of buildings or over door frames into the geometry.

Just Mods Assorted is a better overall mod but I did like Solid Project's unarmed combat module and some of the animations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0e3n42kpZg

Yes

EDIT: To be honest, I almost never talk to Lucius or Antony and didn't remember they had dialogue about Lanius. The fact that those versions differ so little makes me think it was probably just early draft stuff that wasn't edited, but it's possible that Caesar just gave you the most pompous and scary way to present Lanius to scare you into thinking his army is unstoppable now. I genuinely doubt there's some secret Lanius bunker where a bunch of doppelgangers meet or something, the game makes it pretty clear that there's one Lanius who's next in the line of succession, and pretty much none of the ending slides where Caesar is dead make sense without that lynchpin.

It's not that hard to believe that multiple contradictory rumors about a big personality like Lanius could develop over time, especially in a setting where the best form of communication for people is word of mouth (although the Legion does have radios and obviously some of their Legionnaires are literate). Going back through history you can see historians constantly battling the rumor mill of important figures.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It's not that hard to believe that multiple contradictory rumors about a big personality like Lanius could develop over time, especially in a setting where the best form of communication for people is word of mouth (although the Legion does have radios and obviously some of their Legionnaires are literate). Going back through history you can see historians constantly battling the rumor mill of important figures.

You'd think the rumors wouldn't be stuff like "actually, he just had a normal military career" or "his tribe was integrated peacefully*"

* Although, wasn't his tribe integrated into the Legion after all? I thought Caesar specifically only let him kill adult males.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Legion is a house of cards - it only works because no-one questions Ceasar's nonsense. He's terrified of the slaves passing around stories about Joshua Graham, because it exposes that the entire thing is built on lies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OldMemes posted:

The Legion is a house of cards - it only works because no-one questions Ceasar's nonsense. He's terrified of the slaves passing around stories about Joshua Graham, because it exposes that the entire thing is built on lies.

Also because Graham is death on legs and could probably annihilate the Legion singlehanded given the chance.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I've played through NV fully twice and had several runs that went really really far into it. I'm thinking about finally doing a Hardcore run. Anything I should know before I get started? Any mods to make it more pleasant/not busted?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I've played through NV fully twice and had several runs that went really really far into it. I'm thinking about finally doing a Hardcore run. Anything I should know before I get started? Any mods to make it more pleasant/not busted?

If you are going for Hardcore then go all in and turn on Jsawyer. Enjoy going to the Sierra Madre with that on.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The one that lets you refill water bottles is nice.

You'll want to put points into Survival, because it unlocks some really good recipes and makes the healing from food way more potent.

Pay attention to where beds are, especially in the Sierra Madre.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IKe_uIBj10

I read "If you don't have a high enough medicine skill when performing the surgery his head just explodes." on Reddit. I never knew this and had to look it up.

That was indeed amazing but then

Lucius: His head exploded, idiot. Of course it's your fault.

This is the greatest video game of all time.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You'd think the rumors wouldn't be stuff like "actually, he just had a normal military career" or "his tribe was integrated peacefully*"

* Although, wasn't his tribe integrated into the Legion after all? I thought Caesar specifically only let him kill adult males.

Caesar tells you that Lanius fought ferociously and only agreed to join the Legion after his tribe surrendered and he killed 15 of them, and then got Caesar to let him kill all the adult males.

Lucius tells you that Lanius has been a "full Legionary since he was 12"

Antony tells you that it took years for Caesar to subdue Lanius' tribe, and that he never, ever shows mercy.

Vulpes calls him a mountain of a man. And that he shows no mercy.

Actually, there really aren't that many rumors. Antony and Vulpes' accounts agree with Caesar's. Only Lucius' is that out of wack.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

I heavily recommend going for Pack Rat instead of Strong Back(maybe both) since all the ammo, food, water and such really add up in weight. Survival also helps with that, more survival means your food and water lasts longer so you need to bring less.

Oh, and try to make Gecko Kebabs, they're the best food item.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I’ve always been partial to Caravan Lunches. I like to imagine the Courier cooks all that pre-war food in the metal lunch box itself, kind of like some of those old MRE’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Desert Salads all the way. Just hit Novac with a level 5 character and i've already found/bought 20 pinyon nuts.

Also got the pinyon nut tree mod.