Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

welcome 2 lent, fellow westerners

https://twitter.com/jallen_town/status/1362036107572105218

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Didn't go to Ash Wednesday Mass because 1) I worked, and 2)knowing how many Catholics, even those who never go to a single other Mass all year go, I was kind of worried about the increased amount of bodies at my family's Parish. Also, not a Holy Day of Obligation.

My Knights of Columbus council is running drive-thru Fish Fries for every day during this Lent. Good to see them do that, they tried it out a few months ago and it worked great, very safe and sanitary. Even with only taking donations they still made a profit too.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

A coin set of the corpus of sigils from the Key of Solomon. I thought some folks in the thread might find them interesting.

It took me a minute to parse that this was kickstarter, and I thought these were medieval coins being sold for over $45k. "Huh, a bit cavalier to have these just knocking around in a velvet bag if they're this valuable"

Literacy is hard today. I only know the season because of what color the banners in the church are dontchaknow.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

We just did "Ash Thursday" at the Catholic school where I teach. We weren't in-person on Wednesday because of the snow (but we've been in-person the rest of the year because we need tuition money). So we got permission from our resident priest to move the ceremony to Thursday. The principal went around to each of our classrooms and wrote the cross on each student's forehead with a q-tip (a new q-tip for each student, safety first!).

What was weird is that the principal went up to draw the ashes on my forehead, even though she knows perfectly well that I'm Jewish (she got me matzo, everything bagel seasoning, and Israeli biscuits for Secret Santa, we've attended Mass together and I never receive communion, we have discussed the fact that I eat kosher...). I only had to shake my head to decline which was objectively chill but still a bit more of a scene than I'd prefer to make in front of my students. But I don't know what she was thinking - I think it's pretty obvious that Ash Wednesday is not something Jews do?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

We just did "Ash Thursday" at the Catholic school where I teach. We weren't in-person on Wednesday because of the snow (but we've been in-person the rest of the year because we need tuition money). So we got permission from our resident priest to move the ceremony to Thursday. The principal went around to each of our classrooms and wrote the cross on each student's forehead with a q-tip (a new q-tip for each student, safety first!).

What was weird is that the principal went up to draw the ashes on my forehead, even though she knows perfectly well that I'm Jewish (she got me matzo, everything bagel seasoning, and Israeli biscuits for Secret Santa, we've attended Mass together and I never receive communion, we have discussed the fact that I eat kosher...). I only had to shake my head to decline which was objectively chill but still a bit more of a scene than I'd prefer to make in front of my students. But I don't know what she was thinking - I think it's pretty obvious that Ash Wednesday is not something Jews do?

I wonder in the principal was just on auto-pilot after doing a repetitive action so many times.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm not Catholic, but I think the correct procedure is to offer the ashes to everyone, even those whom you think won't want them. It's on the potential receiver to decline them, rather than the applier to presume or limit its availability.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I wonder in the principal was just on auto-pilot after doing a repetitive action so many times.

Maybe, but I, you know, don't sit with the kids. I sit on the whole other end of the classroom at my big-boy desk. And this was right after she'd drawn a cross in the air at my camera, to help the virtual students feel like they were also taking part in the ceremony. So I think she was not on autopilot but I plan on finding some other way to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Maybe, but I, you know, don't sit with the kids. I sit on the whole other end of the classroom at my big-boy desk. And this was right after she'd drawn a cross in the air at my camera, to help the virtual students feel like they were also taking part in the ceremony. So I think she was not on autopilot but I plan on finding some other way to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Feels like one of those tricky situations-

Do you not offer the ashes, potentially insulting someone by excluding them,

or do you offer the ashes, potentially insulting them by assuming they'd want to participate.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How does the ashes thing work anyway, do churches actually burn palm fronds locally and use the ashes, or is there some company that sells the ashes, or what?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

How does the ashes thing work anyway, do churches actually burn palm fronds locally and use the ashes, or is there some company that sells the ashes, or what?

Typically you burn the palm branches from Palm Sunday. I'm sure not everyone does, but many do. Branches come from church supply stores or locally, if you can grow palms.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Both. Churches often buy extra palm leaves for Palm Sunday, and the ones they don't distribute they save. Before Ash Wednesday they will have a fire and burn up the old fronds, then use the ashes for the Ash Wednesday service.

There are also places that sell the palm ash (like here) if a church doesn't want to bother with doing it themselves.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Crosspost from the Norse heathenry thread:

Bilirubin posted:

Its neat that they found runestones in the cathedral and have now planted them in the churchyard, but apparently they are all new runes from Christian era. Still, pretty cool!

While I have extremely ambivalent feelings about missionaries displacing local faiths (and exponentially more so in eras that aren’t in the distant past), I have to admit that I find syncretic practices like this fascinating.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crosspost from the Norse heathenry thread:

While I have extremely ambivalent feelings about missionaries displacing local faiths (and exponentially more so in eras that aren’t in the distant past), I have to admit that I find syncretic practices like this fascinating.

That's a nice way to put it. I tend more towards active negativity towards the idea, this despite my grandparents spending 15 years in the mission field where my father and the rest of his family were born. I will also acknowledge the good work that they accomplished making some people's lives better as well (although also the colonialism that largely caused it even more so, read King Leopold's Ghost for more on that), and the evangelical directive given to all Christians. Still #itscomplicated

The cool thing of that stone (other than the baller lighting of the photo, was one of a few bluebird days I got there) is the cross at the top of the serpentine carving. Here is another runestone from the churchyard of the cathedral at Uppsala.

And my personal icon, the tomb of Linnaeus set in the floor of the entranceway to the nave

(I really love nothing more than wandering old churches, and have listened to mass being said at Notre Dame twice)

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I've been a stranger to this version of the thread...it got going during a time when I was offline a lot and that unread count was a little intimidating.

All that to say could I ask for prayer? I was diagnosed with COVID today, I'm going to get the antibody infusion tomorrow and am a little worried.

Also, I'll be praying during the infusion tomorrow like I did during my cancer infusions...let me know if you have any intentions needing prayer.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

St. Raphael, patron of healing, pray for Pershing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'd like to ask for prayer for the soul of Mary and strength for her daughter Emily, my dear friend, newly bereaved.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your long suffering servant, Mary.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy on your suffering servant, Emily.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Greatest healer, lay your hands on Pershing as to heal their body. So too lay your hands upon Emily, as to heal her heart. Let the memory of Mary be a blessing to all she knew, and welcome her into what lies beyond.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

My church actually handed out the ashes in little baggies so people could take them home and apply them. I was rather appreciative I could get blessed that way since work seems to love handing me massive overtime at the moment so any service was a no-go. Though the little bags made me somewhat amused thinking of them as dime bags - "Hey kids, who wants a free hit of symbolic death and repentance?" :D.

Prayers for you Pershing and for Emily, and for the soul of Mary.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thanks everyone. Praying for you.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
May you get through this as quickly, easily, and painlessly as possible, Persing, Light surround you!

May God receive his servant Mary, nd comfort those Mary left behind.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Today is the tenth anniversary of my father’s death. Please say a prayer for him, my mother, my sister, and me.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Taking a big shot in the dark here: who knows a Catholic church in the CA Bay Area with teachings friendly to left politics? I'm learning bits and pieces about liberation theology and looking for a community to join and probably someone cool to officiate a wedding.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Taking a big shot in the dark here: who knows a Catholic church in the CA Bay Area with teachings friendly to left politics? I'm learning bits and pieces about liberation theology and looking for a community to join and probably someone cool to officiate a wedding.

Is this considered the Bay Area?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, I think the Castro counts as the bay haha

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, I think the Castro counts as the bay haha

Sorry I just knew it was San Francisco, I didn’t know what exactly counted as Bay Area.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Sorry I just knew it was San Francisco, I didn’t know what exactly counted as Bay Area.

Castro is practically *in* the bay

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Sorry if this came off rear end in a top hat-ish, I didn't mean to diminish you at all. I just thought it was funny because you could loosely describe the bay area as "San Fransisco and the rest of the cities surrounding San Francisco Bay", so something that is smack dab in the middle of SF is 10000% in the "bay area".

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Today is the tenth anniversary of my father’s death. Please say a prayer for him, my mother, my sister, and me.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, have mercy.

Thiteen Orphan's father has found rest. May Light surround his memory, and may those memories bring comfort to those he left behind on Earth. Amen.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Found this in an aged relative's house it's a painting of st George (he's holding a spear and stabbing + trampling a dragon).

Does anyone know what language this is? Is it real or like a heavily stylized text that I just can't parse?

Some sorta Cyrillic?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

looks like Georgian to me, but don't quote me

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

looks like Georgian to me, but don't quote me

I ain't never seen no writin' like that down in Georgia... might be some Yankee thing...

(sorry for quoting you)

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Found this in an aged relative's house it's a painting of st George (he's holding a spear and stabbing + trampling a dragon).

Does anyone know what language this is? Is it real or like a heavily stylized text that I just can't parse?

Some sorta Cyrillic?

Ask over in a history thread, probably.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Here's a link to both threads if you aren't following them, they've got actual historians there so hopefully they can help you.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That looks like Old Church Slavonic to me, I think I recognize "George" and "serpent" in there.

Someone in the Russian thread might now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2357406

Grevling fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 22, 2021

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

COVID update: fever is largely gone, just a nagging cough that's worse when I talk. Between having had the vaccine and getting the antibody tx, I'm doing pretty well. My wife caught it but the kids haven't been sick (thank you Lord).

Also I've been endlessly frustrated and angry, I'm trying to pray more/read Scripture more in response. I have this feeling that big changes are needed in my life (esp. my professional life). Thank you all for the prayers/I'm still praying for you.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I haven't seen anyone mention Satanism in previous pages, so I'll be the resident Satanist. AMA, spiritual fellows

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention Satanism in previous pages, so I'll be the resident Satanist. AMA, spiritual fellows

Are you Church of Satan, Satanic Temple, or other?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Are you worshiping Satan as God's prosecuting attorney or the 'lives in hell' style (presumably as something other than the prince of evil, because I'm pretty sure Satanism doesn't worship Satan as being a bad dude)? If the latter, is there any incorporation of the former and the way Satan appears in the Old Testament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Pershing posted:

COVID update: fever is largely gone, just a nagging cough that's worse when I talk. Between having had the vaccine and getting the antibody tx, I'm doing pretty well. My wife caught it but the kids haven't been sick (thank you Lord).

Also I've been endlessly frustrated and angry, I'm trying to pray more/read Scripture more in response. I have this feeling that big changes are needed in my life (esp. my professional life). Thank you all for the prayers/I'm still praying for you.

Saint Rafael, please continue to heal Pershing and his wife. Protect his children from this virus.