Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah I got a feeling my weekend is about to evaporate

I visited a friend's place, he's a very creative guy, and was blown away with how much he's gotten done. He started after me but I did restart recently, so it makes sense.

He's at the iron age already which blows my mind but then I learned he's playing with four other people.

Now the very tiny part of me that is competitive wants to make something cooler than his place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Game is definitely a day eraser, you'll play for several hours and feel like you've accomplished absolutely nothing but had fun the whole time.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Archery feels weird (but is extremely good combat-wise) because I think the arrow launches from a spot in front of you and kind of lower than the visual bow; the result is that aiming at things farther away feels more 'consistent' than aiming at things closer and above you (like a bird nearby on a rock just higher than your position, or a close-range rapidly-approaching troll's face, or rear end in a top hat graydwarves throwing rocks down at me while I'm mining a giant pit of copper).

quote:

You can build on the big trees in the swamp (that are immune to being chopped down)

fuuuuuuuuuuck I don't know if I can resist immortal treehaus

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

I killed the second boss. What now? I found a swamp but it's very far away. Should I try to build a forward base there, or will it be too hostile? How do I keep it from getting destroyed basically.

I would not build in the swamp. Try to find an adjacent forest biome with easy access to the swamp. Much less hostile IMO.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Starks posted:

I killed the second boss. What now? I found a swamp but it's very far away. Should I try to build a forward base there, or will it be too hostile? How do I keep it from getting destroyed basically.

You can build on the big trees in the swamp (that are immune to being chopped down) and you'll be safe. My forward base near the swamp is actually on the edge though. No sense actually living in that miserable place.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Starks posted:

Maybe build an outpost there if you want to do on-site smelting, but imo this is probably when you start to need to look into using the boats to transport stuff around. The Karve has 4 inventory slots which lets you bring back a few stacks of iron in a good run to the swamp, the Longboat unlocks when you make iron and has a shitton more space and moves quicker so you can make even more iron per run at that point.

For what it's worth I build a portal at base, then bring materials for another portal with me on the boat. I sail around until I find a swamp with some crypts in it and plop the portal down at the edge of the swamp on the water. This lets you ferry junk items you'll find in the crypts back to base easily and leaves all the space on the boat for you to pile in the iron. Also cuts down on the riskiness of dealing with the crypts because if you die you can just run through the portal to get your gear back.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I've mostly been playing the game like Skyrim; I'll go out to find a place manually and then drop a portal for fast-travel from that point onward (transporting no-portal goods using the semi-cheaty-but-technically-in-lore method of logout -> go to other world -> stash or retrieve non-portal goods -> log in to original world and once there's a mod that doesn't risk corrupting worlds I'm totally going to allow everything through portals).

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 19, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'll also make portals transport everything once it is possible because doing alllllll this solo is nearly impossible.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I fought and killed Bonemass last night, seriously don't bother unless you have made the poison resist potions. They almost trivialized the boss fight because my healing items were ticking up faster than the poison could hurt me but jesus christ that fight would have sucked rear end if I tried without the potions. They last 10 minutes so you really only need to make one batch and that should be more than enough. Other than the poison gimmick though his moves were all really predictable and the fight itself wasn't bad at all. Also he looks like the Mucinex commercial mascot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How long does taming a wolf take? I managed to trap a couple of 1-star wolves during the night, and have been tossing in raw meat for the last 10 minutes. Little hearts are popping out of them, which I guess means they are being tamed?
Also, how do I know when they are tamed?

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

How long does taming a wolf take? I managed to trap a couple of 1-star wolves during the night, and have been tossing in raw meat for the last 10 minutes. Little hearts are popping out of them, which I guess means they are being tamed?

I haven't gotten to wolves yet but if they're like boars you can get close and put your cursor over one and it will say what percentage tamed it is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Almost done with the basics of my base. Got the longhouse, a workshop, and a pit-house for storage.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

There will be a % listed next to them as they get acclimated. Stay away from them after you feed them and make sure there isn't a torch or light source near them because they don't like fire and that can cause them to be perpetually "frightened".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I had to download our server map for reasons and I decided to do a bit of a base photo shoot.

Our main base in the meadows next to the black forest.

Mountains

Pigs

A southern outpost we made because the Bonemass spawned half a world away.

A longhouse my friend made when he joined the server before he met up with us.

A swamp staging ground we made to fight the bonemass (portal is upstairs, fire is downstairs to dry off/heal)

Our base camp for the mountain base. A place to park the boat before heading up to drag silver down.

A small tower in the swamp to store iron from the ~7 crypts we found nearby.

A copper mining outpost from when we were first entering the bronze age.

A small fort in the forest one of our players made to practice building skills.

None of it is very fancy, but it all serves a purpose and I think it looks really natural and good without a ton of effort on the part of our players.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

schwein11 posted:

I haven't gotten to wolves yet but if they're like boars you can get close and put your cursor over one and it will say what percentage tamed it is.
Hm, maybe, but I am not planning on jumping down into the wolf hole.

Thanks for the tip though!

Edit: They hit 3 million copies sold
https://steamcommunity.com/games/892970/announcements/detail/3059603718053006419

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 19, 2021

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I had to download our server map for reasons and I decided to do a bit of a base photo shoot.

None of it is very fancy, but it all serves a purpose and I think it looks really natural and good without a ton of effort on the part of our players.

I love all of these builds, and also just building in this game in general. I really can't wait to see what the devs do now that this has blown up like it has.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've waited until endgame to build a base proper and it's p. fun. Spoilered in case people want to avoid some engame items/biome stuff in the background:

You can use item mounts to put trophies on things, some of which have unique particle effects. I used surtling trophies to give my dragons permanent flame tognues:

I'm using A Fuling camp so I can have some unique prefabs to build around. At first I've just foused on building all the crafting stuff up so I can permanently farm Dark Iron there, but now that it's up I'll begin building proper stone structures around the stuff.

e:

For the eventual throne/main room

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 19, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Has anyone checked out Valheim Plus? It's a mod that has a lot of great looking options:

quote:

Features

Player
Modification of Stamina usage and regeneration
Modification of carry weight
Modification of Food duration
Option to remove screen shake
Modify Fermenter speed
Modify Fermenter output amount
Modify Beehive honey production speed
Modify Beehive maximum honey
Modify Furnace processing speed
Modify Furnace maximum coal/ore
Modify Kiln processing speed
Modify Kiln maximum wood

Items
Remove Item teleport prevention from all items
Reduce Item weight of all items by %
Modify maximum item stack size by %

Server
Remove Password requirement for server
Modify maximum Players on a server

Shared map system
Allows you to see the explored areas on the map of other players on the server if they have their position on the map shared ingame.

Custom Keybinds
Hotkey options for fowards and backwards roll.

Building
Remove Building "Invalid Placement" restriction
Remove Building Object deterioration by weather
Modify item position X/Y/Z and by rotation

I'm thinking about checking this out but am a little afraid that future Valheim updates will break saves. You can read more about it here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
My rafts keep vanishing. Anyone found a reliable way to stop that?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Det_no posted:

My rafts keep vanishing. Anyone found a reliable way to stop that?

If you're leaving them on the coast wild mobs will destroy them unless you build a workbench or two nearby to stop spawns.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, can confirm that 1-star wolves give birth to 1-star cubs.

Also, wolves caught during the night seems to be bugged, even when tamed. During the the day they won't eat, and will only try to run away, meaning it probably took about twice as long to tame them.
The cubs don't seem to have this problem though, and will act normal.

Edit: You can't pet the cubs :(

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yeah, I saw a post saying that, because starred wolves only naturally spawn as special night time monsters, tamed ones all have the "try to run away at day and despawn when unobserved" behavior, so you kinda need to spend a couple hours in one go to not only tame them but make sure they generated enough offspring (which won't suffer from nighttime AI) to continue breeding them before leaving the original pair out of your sight.

Also they said star wolves and non-star wolves might sometimes generate star wolves, so maybe you only need one to seed your puppy mill? idk

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Otacon posted:

Has anyone checked out Valheim Plus? It's a mod that has a lot of great looking options:

I'm thinking about checking this out but am a little afraid that future Valheim updates will break saves. You can read more about it here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

I'm tempted to try this too, I would definitely start a separate world and character to do so, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Necrosaro posted:

The real enemy in this game is tree physics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8rViF7V_oA

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Me and the buds got a dedicated server and man what a good idea that was. With conflicting work schedules it was harder then setting up a dnd game. We'd progress further in one server then get held back because the person wasn't on so we'd hop on another rise repeat.

Highly recommended for a group of buds.

Anyway, has anyone tamed a boar? We're trying our hardest but they keep getting spooked!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Anyway, has anyone tamed a boar? We're trying our hardest but they keep getting spooked!

Yes. I use the half wooden walls for my pens so I can easily throw food to them. Throw a stack of food in there (make the pen small when you're taming, like 2x1 full size wood floor tiles small) and then go do other things. Keep torches and fires away from them and let them acclimate "off screen".

Also, if you introduce a 1 star boar to your pen, you can gradually cull the 0 star boars and end up with all 1 stars. (a 1 star and a 0 star will have some 1 star piglets)

Make the pens larger as your herd gets bigger. It's not the most bountiful/high yield activity in the game but I enjoy it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Me and the buds got a dedicated server and man what a good idea that was. With conflicting work schedules it was harder then setting up a dnd game. We'd progress further in one server then get held back because the person wasn't on so we'd hop on another rise repeat.

Highly recommended for a group of buds.

Yes. I spotted a group of boars near my home, crouch walked relatively close without spooking them and I dropped some fruit in their general location before I left. Worked fine, the boars seem to persist and fruit takes several days to despawn.

I was trying to figure out how to sneak up on them and feed them from up close but realized that was probably too gamey. I thought a more realistic approach might work.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Got a pen full of 2 star boars going on. Build a pen, and then just aggro the boar you want and walk them back to your pen. Throw shrooms or carrots in the pen and come back later when it's tame.

I had one two star boar, and one regular boar to start out with. Culled the non-star offspring and now everything is two star. A little incestuous but what are you gonna do.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Don't think I've ever seen a 2 star boar. Did you find it in the meadows biome?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
If you aren't trying to drop trees on your friends, are you really a viking?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Midgetskydiver posted:

Don't think I've ever seen a 2 star boar. Did you find it in the meadows biome?

My friend grabbed it while I wasn't on the server, but yeah I think boars only spawn in Meadows. I recommend tagging a couple of spawn points and just rolling through every other day or so. Eventually you'll find one.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Sipher posted:

Got a pen full of 2 star boars going on. Build a pen, and then just aggro the boar you want and walk them back to your pen. Throw shrooms or carrots in the pen and come back later when it's tame.

I had one two star boar, and one regular boar to start out with. Culled the non-star offspring and now everything is two star. A little incestuous but what are you gonna do.

Oh dang. So simple lol never thought of that tbh

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I had a 2 star boar almost tamed but the fence broke during a troll attack and it ran away :smith:

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Any Ausgoons looking for a dedicated server? I have one running with like a group of 6 guys, space for more. We're taking it slow due to RL commitments, trying boss 3 by Sunday.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

So I just tried it again and I guess throwing a stack of carrots in works in that the boars will just take 1 each? I could have sworn it didn't work this way when I first tried it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

checkplease posted:

If you aren't trying to drop trees on your friends, are you really a viking?

The pro move is to get it balanced in the crook of another tree and play on a viking seesaw.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone documented the "rules" to constructions yet? i can't build roof tiles in the very centre of my bridge and it's annoying the piss out of me. Something about connected object number from the ground? it's... weird.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

So I just tried it again and I guess throwing a stack of carrots in works in that the boars will just take 1 each? I could have sworn it didn't work this way when I first tried it

I think I had the exact same experience. It does work now.

I think it's dumb the pigs won't eat yellow mushrooms or honey though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wilekat posted:

Has anyone documented the "rules" to constructions yet? i can't build roof tiles in the very centre of my bridge and it's annoying the piss out of me. Something about connected object number from the ground? it's... weird.

Yes, they have to be either 5 or 6 pieces away from contact with the ground or it'll collapse. This is why the 4m core wood poles are so useful, they let you get higher with fewer pieces.

The color of a piece you're snapping to will indicate what happens. If it's red, anything you add is gonna break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Built a nice new house to replace my noob shack... my campfires are too far away, I stick one on the floor underneath my bed and it keeps dying out. Do fires get smothered by smoke? How do I help vent it outside?