Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Awesome. I finally get to finish Banshee.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It’s about time. I wondered what the holdup was on those two shows in particular.

My impression is HBO is just playing games trying to keep Cinemax separate from things to milk a few more dollars out of everyone. Or maybe lingering cable contracts or something? For the longest time they were part of the same cable package for me and then once HBOMax showed up I lost Cinemax and would have to pay extra for it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

I don't remember much about who Sonic the Hedgehog is from the games but I don't remember him as a non-stop blabbermouth who's talks to himself and makes constant pop culture references. Thought he was a hero who defended wildlife.

What I'm getting at is sonic movie felt like transformers movie in terms of adaptations.

I found nothing entertaining in it.

Nah honestly that feels kinda right? Sonic had 'tude, he was hip, he made wisecracks and ate chili dogs in between saving animals.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I thought I spotted the Cecil Hotel in John Carpenter's Escape from LA, but it's not quite the same:

Shot from the hang-gliding scene in EFLA:

Cecil:

Since that was a bust, I'll mention a few fun things about Escape from LA, a movie you can stream w/ Prime Video right now.

The CGI is really really bad. Movie was made in 1996 and according to imdb, the team they hired didn't know how to do CGI at all. The movie is full of it, here's are a few examples:

This helicopter and the mountain back there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40p6dkKil_8&t=11s

This building:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMR-Wl_73I&t=181s

The incredible tsunami surfing car chase scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HOCIXroqQ&t=31s

Correction: The incredible tsunami surfing car chase scene featuring Tony Hawk as Peter Fonda:
https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/817054379807150080?s=20

and my favorite, the basketball death challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlHiDzHkSk

I love the basketball scene so so much because of how baffling it is that Snake would be good at basketball. (Well, at shooting a basketball. Ball handling needs improvement) He's been a war hero, a bank robber, a dueling gunslinger for profit, and when the story needs him to be, a bball wiz.

Escape from LA has the same sorts of madcap nonsense that I love Gremlins 2 for. I don't think it's nearly as entertaining as Gremlins 2, but it's still a wild ride. Kurt Russell looks like he's having fun, and he's the same old raspy voiced Snake from the first movie. I'll close this one out with this quote from John Carpenter that will only get funnier as time passes. (Note: I love JC and he has made some of the best movies of all time but Escape from LA isn't one of them.) John Carpenter in 2015:

https://creativescreenwriting.com/its-always-the-story-the-craft-of-carpenter posted:

Escape from L.A. is better than the first movie. Ten times better. It's got more to it. It's more mature. It's got a lot more to it. I think some people didn't like it because they felt it was a remake, not a sequel... I suppose it's the old question of whether you like Rio Bravo or El Dorado better? They're essentially the same movie. They both had their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know–you never know why a movie's going to make it or not. People didn't want to see Escape that time, but they really didn't want to see The Thing... You just wait. You've got to give me a little while. People will say, you know, what was wrong with me?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Escape from New York is definitely better, but I have a huge soft spot for Escape from LA, mostly because I saw it first, in a theater, and thought it was awesome

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I always thought of Snake in the same way I think of Batman. He will get the job done, regardless of what he has to do, the mission will be accomplished because that's who he is. He never fails. If you need a guy to hit a half-court shot for your life, Snake is the guy to do it because he doesn't know how to lose. If the challenge was knitting instead of basketball Snake would figure that out too.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I always thought of Snake in the same way I think of Batman. He will get the job done, regardless of what he has to do, the mission will be accomplished because that's who he is. He never fails. If you need a guy to hit a half-court shot for your life, Snake is the guy to do it because he doesn't know how to lose. If the challenge was knitting instead of basketball Snake would figure that out too.

Oh absolutely. Whatever the task he'll get it done. hahaha

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You'd think he'd be taller though.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I'm not sure if "better" is the right word, but Escape from LA has always been more memorable to me exactly because it's so goofy and nonsensical, which the dystopian premise almost demands.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

You'd think he'd be taller though.

Great gag. It has a lot of good moments throughout. Good jokes, and the scene with Bruce Campbell is really weird and campy. Uncle Ben makes for a pretty good villain as the forever President who has banned smoking, drinking, drugs, and premarital sex.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jolo posted:

Uncle Ben makes for a pretty good villain as the forever President who has banned smoking, drinking, drugs, and premarital sex.

The future that Mike Pence dreams of

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I definitely prefer Escape from New York, but Escape from LA is really fun and is more of a Gremlins 2 style sequel which I appreciate a ton.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
e: nevermind

a starchy tuber fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 19, 2021

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
e: double post

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Muppet Show is so loving good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been watching Columbo on Prime and it’s pretty great so far. Even the mediocre episodes are worth watching because Falk is so drat entertaining.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah it’s one of those lightning in a bottle performances. The show itself is slow paced and a little repetitive but Falk just kills it every time. It’s also worth watching for some great appearances by some of the best tv character actors ever.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been watching Columbo on Prime and it’s pretty great so far. Even the mediocre episodes are worth watching because Falk is so drat entertaining.

Yeah it holds up remarkably well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah it holds up remarkably well

It definitely helps that all the crimes thus far have been white collar rich-eating-the-rich plots while Columbo himself is just a regular dude who likes cheap burgers and his lovely car.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I Really Care was great.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Escape from LA holds a special place in my heart. I watched it at a friend's place when I was a kid, and it really encapsulates *something* about being a kid in the 90s for me. I saw it before Escape from New York and, as corny as the movie is, I still rewatch it from time to time. Snake Pliskin is such a great character.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeahh, I was on a long Columbo kick for a while. Peter Falk is just so great. It loses its charm over the seasons, I forget how far I got, but some of those early seasons have some hilarious/great guest spots. Like the Leonard Nimoy one (how sad I googled "spock actor" trying to remember his name and it just said Zachary Quinto. time passes! woah!)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Inconceivable not remembering Leonard Nimoy! :shame:

Since I'm getting it for free until October.....I'm giving that Apple TV+ For All Mankind space show another chance after being annoyed with it before (Ep1 is sort of obnoxious) but it gets good around ep 3-6 when the ladies show up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Muppet Show is so loving good.

:hmmyes:

For content, please enjoy this article about what actual swedes think of The Swedish Chef.

quote:

The Swedish Chef does not speak any known language, and the fact that his nonsense words are so widely interpreted as Swedish-sounding is bewildering and annoying to Swedes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Boxman posted:

:hmmyes:

For content, please enjoy this article about what actual swedes think of The Swedish Chef.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Thoughts on "Tribes of Europa"?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Keyser_Soze posted:

Inconceivable not remembering Leonard Nimoy! :shame:

Since I'm getting it for free until October.....I'm giving that Apple TV+ For All Mankind space show another chance after being annoyed with it before (Ep1 is sort of obnoxious) but it gets good around ep 3-6 when the ladies show up.

Nixon demanding the first woman on the moon be attractive is very on-brand.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I Really Care was great.
I'm guessing you mean I Care a Lot, and yeah it was a lot of fun!

And also, was it semi-blatantly a kind of tongue-in-cheek epic retelling of the rise and fall of Trump? Blonde "outsider" who wants to be a member of the elite amasses wealth by scamming, taking advantage of people, and exploiting the legal system; encounters the Russian mob and clashes with them until they decide to join forces to "create a monster... a countrywide guardianship" through which they can exploit all the old people in the US and get insanely rich. It almost works perfectly, but oops, she pissed off too many people who can't stand to see her face plastered on TV screens after being hosed over, and she's finally brought down.

At first I was thinking the movie was going off the rails, but I did find it hilarious as it maybe started to line up with that interpretation.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Nomadland is fantastic. There’s a good chance it wins best picture and deserves it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 20, 2021

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Junkie Disease posted:

I don't remember much about who Sonic the Hedgehog is from the games but I don't remember him as a non-stop blabbermouth who's talks to himself and makes constant pop culture references. Thought he was a hero who defended wildlife.

What I'm getting at is sonic movie felt like transformers movie in terms of adaptations.

I found nothing entertaining in it.

Are you sure you didn't watch the Awesome Possum movie?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He did look like woody woodpecker come the think of it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Someone uploaded notoriously hard to find Hal Hartley film Simple Men on YouTube at very decent quality. Just search his name.

It's absolutely one of my favorites of all time. Broadly, it concerns two brothers trying to find their father, "the radical shortstop", who is an anti-establishment hippie hero. They track him to a small town on Long Island and things happen. It's an early 90s arthouse deal.

It also contains a great dance number set to "Kool Thing" and a bunch of actors you'll recognize (Robert Burke, Bill Sage, Karen Silas, a bunch of character actors)

It's funny and heartbreaking. A+

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Good golly, Nomadland is absolutely fantastic. It really nails the tone of the book. At times uplifting and inspiring, and devastating the next.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I watched It's a Sin last night on HBO. I was a sobbing mess at the end, I never cry.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Prime has “Q&A” streaming. I’d never heard of it and threw it on at a whim, but it’s really well acted.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Monster Hunter was a lot of fun. Also I'm pretty sure Tony Jaa is an ageless immortal.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Behind Her Eyes on Netflix is pretty watchable and short (and a one season and done, which I appreciate) but with some plot twists that really reach and open up a lot of plot holes if you spend any time thinking about it. It was entertaining and when I figured out the big twist, about 5 minutes before it was spelled out, I jumped out of my chair in shock and according to my gf I just kept saying "oh my god, holy poo poo!" That's always a fun sensation. And the 3.5 lead roles all give really good performances.

Overall it's a box of Krispy Kreme donuts. Great in the moment but you feel kind of gross and ashamed afterwards.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

Monster Hunter was a lot of fun. Also I'm pretty sure Tony Jaa is an ageless immortal.

Looks like it's only On Demand right now.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Looks like it's only On Demand right now.

Yeah the date for purchase/rental on prime and everywhere else isn't until March 3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched Avatar for the first time since theaters, and I have always enjoyed making fun of that movie, but tbh it's pretty fun. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

Watched Avatar for the first time since theaters, and I have always enjoyed making fun of that movie, but tbh it's pretty fun. I enjoyed it.

The thing that is amazing about Avatar is that it still looks loving great. 12 years later....