Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sponges posted:

He might be able to do small budget stuff like Much Ado about Nothing

None of his old regulars will ever work with him again. He isn't Woody Allen, he's about to become radioactive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Whedon's reputation never relied on being edgy or provocative, he never played in the "art above all" crowd, and of the three superhero movies he directed only the first one was well-received, and that was almost a decade ago, with plenty of other directors stepping up since then doing the same thing better than he did. Nobody has any reason to take a risk on tying their financing to his brand at this point.

He's probably got a future ahead of him as a highly-sought-after script doctor, but the days of him putting his name on big projects are over.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Before I had my doubts but after the things Trachtenberg said I feel very confident that Whedon is in the upper echelon of cancelled celebrities alongside Landis and Spacey. They will probably be in at least one more movie before they die, but it’s not going to be anything coming to your local AMC. Much Ado About Nothing-tier projects are the best Whedon can hope for from here on out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
he can always do the Polanski J'accuse thing and make a movie about how he, is in fact, the most oppressed victim of the world of all time

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

He was hired to salvage Justice League under unusual circumstances and turned in a disaster, and frankly if his career were going well he wouldn't be doing TV.

My hottest take is that had cavill shaved his moustache most if not all the problems with justice league and whedon's behaviour on set would have been swept under the rug.
Affleck looking like a bloated corpse, the cgi, the coloring,the ost, how uninspired it looks. everything but that hidous cgi face would have been forgiven.
They would have considered the film a bomb, but WB would have been sold to ATT and Kevin Tsujihara's sex scandal would have buried anything else.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hump day bitches! posted:

My hottest take is that had cavill shaved his moustache most if not all the problems with justice league and whedon's behaviour on set would have been swept under the rug.They would have considered the film a bomb, but WB would have been sold to ATT and Kevin Tsujihara's sex scandal would have buried anything else.

Cavill was the hero we needed all along.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cavill was the hero we needed all along.

He was contractually obligated to keep it for MI6.Funnily enough Cruise broke his ankle delaying the movie an entire year.

So they only needed to wait a little bit longer to get him in his full capacity.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pirate Jet posted:

Before I had my doubts but after the things Trachtenberg said I feel very confident that Whedon is in the upper echelon of cancelled celebrities alongside Landis and Spacey. They will probably be in at least one more movie before they die, but it’s not going to be anything coming to your local AMC. Much Ado About Nothing-tier projects are the best Whedon can hope for from here on out.

Indulging my cynicism for an ugly moment, I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC were to hire Whedon as a Dr Who writer.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Indulging my cynicism for an ugly moment, I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC were to hire Whedon as a Dr Who writer.

Is he TERFy enough ?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Whedon will be back. So long as his 'bad behaviour' isn't sexual in nature, and no one has implied that it is yet, it'll be easy for him to do the whole I'm a different person and I've learned my lesson thing.

David O'Russell still works and his lovely behaviour is on film. The only positive is that his audience are the exact people who are going to reject someone like him.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Whedon has a HBO sci fi show premiering in April this year. So it's not that he will come back, but that he never left.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He got fired from that show. But he directed 2 episodes and wrote the whole thing.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Seems like he departed of his own accord, due to the exhausting nature of the production because of covid. lol

The new showrunner for the possible second season is already covering Whedon's rear end though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He def got fired or at least pressured to leave. And it most likely came from the WB investigation

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

DrVenkman posted:

The only positive is that his audience are the exact people who are going to reject someone like him.

And this is why he's done. Disney replaced him, WB has essentially disowned him, HBO fired him, and his fanbase cares very much about what kind of person he is, which isn't the case with people like David O Russell or Bryan Singer. For better or worse, his personality has always been as much a part of his brand as his actual resume.

If he were a bit more anonymous or if Avengers 2 and Justice League had been better received he'd likely be able to weather this, but as it is he's never going to be able to get the Buffy crowd back and he's not dependable enough to be worth keeping on for bigger-budget stuff. His biggest, most reliable skill is writing quips, and he can be called on to do that quietly.

Electronico6 posted:

Seems like he departed of his own accord, due to the exhausting nature of the production because of covid.

He was right in the middle of a very public investigation by WB at the time. He didn't give up his shiny new HBO show over covid any more than disgraced politicians retire to spend more time with their families.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hump day bitches! posted:

My hottest take is that had cavill shaved his moustache most if not all the problems with justice league and whedon's behaviour on set would have been swept under the rug.
Affleck looking like a bloated corpse, the cgi, the coloring,the ost, how uninspired it looks. everything but that hidous cgi face would have been forgiven.
They would have considered the film a bomb, but WB would have been sold to ATT and Kevin Tsujihara's sex scandal would have buried anything else.

You know, reading about the Tsujihara scandal https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...ml%3f_amp=true, it strikes me how his fall was engineereed by the talent agencies like CAA instead of being shamed into doing it like the sexual assault cases like Weinstein, that took multiple women coming forward and alot of press.

Tsujihara hooked up with a young actress and tried to get her roles in the movies he oversaw. The relationship was consensual. But I think that paradigm threatened agencies much more than the horrors usually visited on actresses we've heard about, and thats why they were so on the ball to call it out

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Whedon will be back. So long as his 'bad behaviour' isn't sexual in nature, and no one has implied that it is yet

I'm pretty sure Trachtenberg's instagram post heavily implied that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

for some people, its only rape when its physically violent :(

Here's a hosed up little factoid: That is literally how it is in Norway. According to the law there has to be physical violence for something to be rape. There has been cases where everyone has agreed that the victim clearly said no but because there was no physical violence involved the accused couldn't be convicted for rape.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Didn't the first instance of this stuff coming out, a few years back when his wife came out and made a low key statement, heavily imply if it didn't outright state he'd been acting similarly to Weinstein in his capacity as a showrunner for years? Like hanging women's future careers over their heads to get what he wanted, using his status to use and discard them, etc? I'd mentally put him in the same space as Spacey and such ages ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His fanatical base did come to his defense when his ex wife made that statement. They're mostly quiet now though I have seen one or two people say he's being unfairly treated and how there's no proof.

But gently caress those people.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
His wife was like “he cheated on me all the time with all the hot young actresses in the show” and Whedon is paraphrased as basically saying “well what was I supposed to do, not hook up with all these powerful young women?” or close enough.

I remember because it was the sort of thing where I was like “wow that’s all I need to here” before just immediately filing him in the dumpster.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Give the last 5-6 years' track record of movies it's become pretty uncool to be a Whedon stan, and that is doing a lot more work than the actual accusations, because the world is a gently caress.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure Trachtenberg's instagram post heavily implied that.

I mean it's just as likely that people knew he was a bully and decided to shield the youngest member of the cast from that.

The only source for him sleeping around is his wife right? Not asking to dismiss her because I don't think she's lying, just that while we knew already that Whedon iced out Carpenter and that he had been lovely to James Marsters because Spike was popular, no one involved in the show has implied there was anything sexually untoward happening on his shows. Though it's entirely possible I've missed it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

The only source for him sleeping around is his wife right?

It was a letter that Whedon wrote to his wife, so the source is Whedon himself.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It sounds less like Whedon was sleeping with the actresses on the show (Charisma, Allison, SMG) and more like he was having a free-for-all with the High School and college age extras/vampires floating around 24/7.

The main cast of women all had pretty serious careers with movies and I believe SMG was married for part/most of Buffy? So it makes sense to me that instead of leering and creeping on the high profile talent, you could probably casting couch your way through dozens of young women over a 7 year TV production with the promise of repeat castings or maybe a line during a cafeteria scene

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Felicia Day is rumored to be one of those young women but she's not said a word about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's probably a rumour from people who don't like Felicia day for being a girl who plays videogames.

Edit addition: ugh I've started to see ads for the Allen/Farrow documentary and the replies are absolutely disgusting and almost unanimously defending Allen. I checked these fuckers profiles and they're real people, not some defense botnet.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 20, 2021

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Not that I want to focus on the gross details, but with the Dylan Farrow sexual assault allegation against Woody Allen: is she saying he outright raped her, or did other things to her that in the eyes of the law would be less of a crime? Cause I haven't fully wrapped my head around the whole investigation that came from it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Anonymous John posted:

Not that I want to focus on the gross details, but with the Dylan Farrow sexual assault allegation against Woody Allen: is she saying he outright raped her, or did other things to her that in the eyes of the law would be less of a crime? Cause I haven't fully wrapped my head around the whole investigation that came from it.

He performed oral sex on her so yeah rape.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I would add that "outright raped" is an extremely loaded phrase. Not accusing you of anything, but different states have all kinds of different legal definitions of rape, and sometimes someone will be convicted of something not called "rape" even though most people would think of their act that way. And sometimes that kind of qualifying language is used to downplay the realities of all kinds of situations that do not fit someone's imagined version of rape as some precise "violent crime in a dark alley" kind of thing. So it's good to be clear about what you're asking.

I get you're speaking to legal definitions, I just wanted to be clear that sometimes the badness or magnitude of the act is not always the defining line between "rape" and something else in the eyes of the law, and many legal systems just have actively stupid and harmful definitions of sexual crimes.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 20, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Martman posted:

I would add that "outright raped" is an extremely loaded phrase. Not accusing you of anything, but different states have all kinds of different legal definitions of rape, and sometimes someone will be convicted of something not called "rape" even though most people would think of their act that way. And sometimes that kind of qualifying language is used to downplay the realities of all kinds of situations that do not fit someone's imagined version of rape as some precise "violent crime in a dark alley" kind of thing. So it's good to be clear about what you're asking.

I get you're speaking to legal definitions, I just wanted to be clear that sometimes the badness or magnitude of the act is not always the defining line between "rape" and something else in the eyes of the law, and many legal systems just have actively stupid and harmful definitions of sexual crimes.

It's going to be a pretty obvious sign they are not arguing in good faith if they really, really want to insist on the correct technical definition of what "raped" is when discussing allegations like that.

It's like the people who get super offended when they get called racist for say something islamophobic and push back asking if islam is a "race" and then calling you a racist for saying that.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Martman posted:

Apologies for coming across the wrong way; I guess a phrase such as "penetrative sex" may have been a better way of putting it. I could certainly see the 90's having even more actively stupid definitions in the laws than what we have now.

FWIW, I also consider performing oral sex on a child to fall under rape.

Anonymous John fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 20, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah no worries, I really didn't mean that you were using it that way! Just kind of a heads up because I've seen that kind of language abused so much. Kinda harkens to that classic awful "legitimate rape" Todd Akin moment.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rhyno posted:

His fanatical base did come to his defense when his ex wife made that statement. They're mostly quiet now though I have seen one or two people say he's being unfairly treated and how there's no proof.

But gently caress those people.
I mean, of course some people have come to his defense, just like some people are coming to Woody Allen's defense, etc. But the main core of Whedon's fan base, Whedonesque.com, shut down when she made those statements because everyone sort of collectively bailed on Whedon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

Whedon will be back. So long as his 'bad behaviour' isn't sexual in nature, and no one has implied that it is yet, it'll be easy for him to do the whole I'm a different person and I've learned my lesson thing.

David O'Russell still works and his lovely behaviour is on film. The only positive is that his audience are the exact people who are going to reject someone like him.

There was an on set rule about him not being allowed to be alone with a teenage Trachtenberg and he had multiple affairs, I think it's safe to say his bad behavior was more than just screaming at a pregnant Charisma Carpenter.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
If you don't think that the Trachtenberg rule should be setting off alarm bells, then I don't know what to say to you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Don't get me wrong, emotional abuse of anyone on set is bad, pregnant or not, but it indicates a pattern of behavior that would make someone believe other norms of society don't apply to you.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

I can’t wait for the usual suspects to come out with “look, the Sun-Yi stuff is a little odd but he was never a father figure and nothing happened until she was 18”, which has always struck me as the most backhanded defense. Those are likely the people who will continue down the “Mia implanted this in their heads” path

I’m curious if we’ll hear from Moses at all, he’s the one who has stuck by Woody’s side after the rest of the family cut ties and believes that he didn’t do anything to Dylan.

Has anyone here actually read Moses' blog post? Because the reason he's stuck by Woody is because, according to him, Mia was a horribly abusive mother who treated her children like objects, physically abused them, and constantly gaslit and pressured them into believing false narratives she had constructed, harshly punishing any child who dared contradict those narratives. For example:

quote:

For all of us, life under my mother’s roof was impossible if you didn’t do exactly what you were told, no matter how questionable the demand.

The summer between first and second grades, she was having new wallpaper installed in the bedroom I slept in, across the hall from hers on the second floor of the Connecticut house. I was getting ready to go to sleep, when my mother came over to my bed and found a tape measure. She gave me a piercing look that stopped me in my tracks and asked if I had taken it, as she had been looking for it all day. I stood in front of her, frozen. She asked why it was on my bed. I told her I didn’t know, that perhaps a workman had left it there. She asked again and again and again.

When I didn’t give the answer she wanted, she slapped my face, knocking off my glasses. She told me I was lying and directed me to tell my brothers and sisters that I had taken the tape measure. Through my tears I listened to her as she explained that we would rehearse what should have happened. She would walk into the room and I would tell her I was sorry for taking the tape measure, that I had taken it to play with and that I would never do it again. She made me rehearse it at least a half-dozen times.

That was the start of her coaching, drilling, scripting, and rehearsing – in essence, brainwashing. I became anxious and fearful. Once, when I was given a new pair of jeans, I thought they would look cool if I cut off a couple of the belt loops. When Mia saw what I had done, she spanked me repeatedly and had me remove all my clothing, saying, “You’re not deserving of any clothes” and making me stand naked in the corner of her room, in front of my older siblings who had just returned from dinner with their father André. (After I spoke to People magazine in 2014 about how I was treated, Dylan called it a “betrayal” and said that I was “dead to” her. She later publicly dismissed my recollections of my childhood as “irrelevant.” This from a woman who now styles herself an “advocate for abuse victims.”)

Fighting back was not a viable option. One summer day, Mia accused me of leaving the curtains closed in the TV room. They had been drawn the day before when Dylan and Satchel were watching a movie. She insisted that I had closed them and left them that way. Her friend Casey had come over to visit and while they were in the kitchen, my mother insisted I had shut the curtains. At that point, I couldn’t take it anymore and I lost it, yelling, “You’re lying!” She shot me a look and took me into the bathroom next to the TV room. She hit me uncontrollably all over my body. She slapped me, pushed me backwards and hit me on my chest, shouting, “How dare you say I’m a liar in front of my friend. You’re the pathological liar.” I was defeated, deflated, beaten and beaten down. Mia had stripped me of my voice and my sense of self. It was clear that if I stepped even slightly outside her carefully crafted reality, she would not tolerate it. It was an upbringing that made me, paradoxically, both fiercely loyal and obedient to her, as well as deeply afraid.

He was also fourteen years old at the time, and witnessed everything that happened surrounding and during the period at the house when the alleged molestation took place, and he says that it definitively couldn't have happened as described. For instance, someone mentioned Dylan's recollection of the scene in the attic being particularly gut-wrenching (which I agree with). Well, here's what Moses has to say about that:

quote:

In her widely-circulated 2014 open letter in The New York Times, the adult Dylan suddenly seemed to remember every moment of the alleged assault, writing, “He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother’s electric train set. Then he sexually assaulted me. He talked to me while he did it, whispering that I was a good girl, that this was our secret, promising that we’d go to Paris and I’d be a star in his movies. I remember staring at that toy train, focusing on it as it traveled in its circle around the attic. To this day, I find it difficult to look at toy trains.”

It’s a precise and compelling narrative, but there’s a major problem: there was no electric train set in that attic. There was, in fact, no way for kids to play up there, even if we had wanted to. It was an unfinished crawl space, under a steeply-angled gabled roof, with exposed nails and floorboards, billows of fiberglass insulation, filled with mousetraps and droppings and stinking of mothballs, and crammed with trunks full of hand-me-down clothes and my mother’s old wardrobes.

The idea that the space could possibly have accommodated a functioning electric train set, circling around the attic, is ridiculous. One of my brothers did have an elaborate model train set, but it was set up in the boys’ room, a converted garage on the first floor. (Maybe that was the train set my sister thinks she remembers?) Now, whenever I hear Dylan making a public statement about what allegedly happened to her that day when she was barely seven, I can only think of that imaginary train set, which she never brought up during the original investigation or custody hearing. Did somebody suggest to the adult Dylan that such a specific detail would make her story more credible? Or does she really believe she remembers this train “circling around the attic” the same way she says she remembers Woody’s whispered promises of trips to Paris and movie stardom (kind of odd enticements to offer a 7-year-old, rather than a new toy or a doll)? And all this apparently took place while those of us who promised to have our eyes trained on Woody were downstairs, seemingly oblivious to what was happening right above our heads?

Here's how Moses describes being pressured and emotionally manipulated into saying things he knew weren't true, for fear of being punished or ostracized from the family (which he ultimately was):

quote:

It was Monica who later testified that she saw Mia taping Dylan describe how Woody had supposedly touched her in the attic, saying it took Mia two or three days to make the recording. In her testimony she said, “I recall Ms. Farrow saying to Dylan at that time, ‘Dylan, what did daddy do... and what did he do next?’ Dylan appeared not to be interested, and Ms. Farrow would stop taping for a while and then continue.” I can vouch for this, having witnessed some of this process myself. When another one of Dylan’s therapists, Dr. Nancy Schultz, criticized the making of the video, and questioned the legitimacy of the content, she too, was fired immediately by Mia. (My mother, for whom “loyalty” was hugely important, would also fire another long-term caretaker, Mavis, claiming that she was making statements against her.)

During the custody hearing, my mother kept stressing how we needed to stick together as a family. Frightened and beaten down, I, too, played my part. I even wrote a letter condemning Woody, saying that he had done something horrible and unforgivable, and had broken my dreams. I even read the letter for the news media that were now regularly gathered at the end of our driveway, knowing that doing so would earn my mother’s approval. That public denouncement of my father remains the biggest regret of my life.

Later that year, I remember many meetings with lawyers and an evaluation I went to in New Jersey. I am naturally shy and kept quiet until I finally felt the need to speak up. I told the evaluator that I felt stuck between my parents. Afterwards, I returned to my school and my mother called, screaming. “Do you realize what you’ve done? You’ve destroyed my case! You need to call your lawyer and tell her you take back what you said, tell her that you recant your statements and want them stricken from the record.” I felt my stomach drop. When I next spoke to the lawyer, I repeated her words verbatim, “I take back what I said, I recant my statements and want them stricken from the record.” Again, the pattern held: I was forced to follow my mother’s script to prove my loyalty.

Even though she still lectured us about “staying together as a family,” at the beginning of my sophomore year of high school, my mother sent me to boarding school in Connecticut against my wishes. I objected that I wanted to stay in New York; she didn’t care. My usefulness in the family drama had played itself out. I had made my statement against my father, my role was done, and I was sent away.

But really, you should read the whole thing, if you're actually serious about believing victims and taking their claims seriously. I am. I think Moses is a victim, and I think Dylan is a victim--of Mia Farrow.

I believe Moses. I also believe Dylan--I believe she believes what she's saying. She was only seven years old. Her mother convinced her that something terrible had happened to her, and unspeakably traumatized her for life, all to get back at her ex-partner. Because Mia Farrow is not well.

And Moses' account isn't nearly the end of it. There are many very good reasons to believe that Woody Allen is innocent of this specific charge, reasons which people in this thread should probably avail themselves of before so confidently proclaiming that a man molested his own daughter, and that's that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muyaCg2dGAk

I mean, really? Someone half-remembers Woody putting sunscreen on Dylan's back in a way they now claim must have probably definitely been pervy? That's where we're at now? This is transparently ridiculous. This isn't how child molesters operate. They don't do it exactly once, in middle-age, in a brief twenty-minute window in a cramped crawlspace in the crowded house of a mentally ill ex who they're in the middle of acrimonious custody proceedings with, but never before and never again--except maybe one time they allegedly put sunscreen on a back in a weird way. None of it holds up, none of it makes any sense, none of it fits. Moses' and Woody's story makes far more sense on the face of it, and accords with the evidence. There's a reason he was exonerated, twice, when the claims were investigated by actual, qualified professionals.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 20, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I read Moses's piece when it was released, and at this point I think if you want to publically come out calling your sibling a liar in their accusation as he has, you can't then hide behind the "I want to remain private" excuse as he had for giving basically no further statements or appearances after that blog post. It's one thing for him to have his point of view, but in fact it is odd to claim to remember details of an alleged event from 25 years ago, when you were 14 years old, so strongly when you were not involved and would not have been involved. I would really like for him to be more open about this, but as it is I have come to strongly suspect the possibility that his (solely textual) voice is being used purely as a shield, basically directly by Allen.

And hey, he may honestly believe he remembers the events perfectly too. But he himself is claiming to have been an abused child, and even without the abuse it is genuinely insane to think his memory of events should be considered so much more reliable than Dylan's that you could close the book on that issue.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get big 'I want to stay in the will' vibes from that.