Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

So how about that new episode of Servant huh

:catstare:

The nuttier this show gets the better it gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

I'm not sure if South Park has just given up on doing actual seasons or what but they have another hour long special coming March 10th titled "The Vaccination Special" and from the description sounds like it is going to be Q comes to South Park.

Oh lord Randy would totally fall for A, along with Jimbo and Ned.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

The nuttier this show gets the better it gets

i still can't get in to the acting unfortunately. like, almost everyone is trying WAY too hard. leanne is good, but julian and dorothy feel like high schoolers over-emoting a simple play.

story's decent enough, though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Reminder that S2 of For All Mankind started today!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started Resident Alien based on the thread’s recs. It’s fun!!

abelwingnut posted:

i still can't get in to the acting unfortunately. like, almost everyone is trying WAY too hard. leanne is good, but julian and dorothy feel like high schoolers over-emoting a simple play.

I definitely don’t agree that Lauren Ambrose is bad. Her campy OTT performance is exactly the right tone for me

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm not sure if South Park has just given up on doing actual seasons or what but they have another hour long special coming March 10th titled "The Vaccination Special" and from the description sounds like it is going to be Q comes to South Park.

Is John de Lancie guest-starring ---- ooooh, right

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Are very short (i.e. six episode) seasons going to be the norm going forwards for Netflix? Can't say I love that, but it certainty fits Netflix shotgun approach to "quality".

Escobarbarian posted:

I definitely don’t agree that Lauren Ambrose is bad. Her campy OTT performance is exactly the right tone for me

Yeah, Ambrose is perfect.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

Is that the inspiration for the Arnold movie, or a different running man?

If so I had no idea that was a King novel

It was published under the Richard Bachman pseudonym that he used for his grittier and more sci-fi books. As others have said, it's a really good grounded dystopia novel that has almost nothing in common with the film beside the vague concept of a competition where people kill each other.

I'm pretty curious if/how they'll update the setting because the book relies on a lot of technology that is hilariously outdated now, like the competitor needing to use a video camera to record himself and then mail the tape to the producers as part of the game.

Rhyno posted:

No, we don't need to remake perfection.

Running Man is c-tier 80s Arnold cinema.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

The best Running Man adaptation is Super Smash TV, and will remain so no matter how good Edgar Wright's movie might be.

e: Has anyone cared about anything South Park has had to say in the past 15 or so years? Aren't they just known for their mild, smug, quasi-Libertarian takes these days?

They couldn't keep up with how stupid and lovely reality has gotten. How is Cartman supposed to be offensive when the literal president is actually all of the most offensive traits they gave him?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
They still do good stuff with taking whatever thing is huge in pop culture, cranking it up to 1000 and seeing how the world would turn to poo poo if it actually happened.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

It took me a few episodes to really vibe with the character, but she's on fire in S2

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Out of context Iron Chef quotes:

"When I first put it in my mouth, I thought, oh this is just ordinary."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Crazy to think that this current arc in Servant is taking place over one rainy day.

It's gone utter bugnuts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o
Full trailer for Amazon's Invincible. If you're not familiar with the comic you might want to give this trailer a pass as it comes really close to giving something big away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are very short (i.e. six episode) seasons going to be the norm going forwards for Netflix? Can't say I love that, but it certainty fits Netflix shotgun approach to "quality".

Pandemic-safe logistics mean shooting live-action anything right now is pretty loving hard to do safely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pandemic-safe logistics mean shooting live-action anything right now is pretty loving hard to do safely.

One of the things that is really fun is seeing all of the white-collar professionals who have been working remotely for the last year get the vaccine before my restaurant's staff and myself, who have been literally risking our lives feeding them for the last year while they sit at home, bored.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are they in the medical field or over 65? Where is this? My parents are elderly and they just got their first shot. gently caress the people skipping the line.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o
Full trailer for Amazon's Invincible. If you're not familiar with the comic you might want to give this trailer a pass as it comes really close to giving something big away.

I've never read Invincible so I'm coming at this trailer with fresh eyes. I know it's got a good reputation, but, man, that just looks like Generic Superhero Story through and through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first season is probably going to come across as generic but that's on purpose so they can ultimately tell the actual story of the series.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

Are they in the medical field or over 65? Where is this? My parents are elderly and they just got their first shot. gently caress the people skipping the line.

No. Mostly rear end in a top hat lawyers and GOP donors who now walk around maskless repeating "oh, I've been vaccinated, I don't have to wear one" like vaccinated people can't still get and spread the disease.

Let me tell you all truthfully: in America we will be dealing with this bullshit for the next 3-5 years and maybe the rest of our lives.

In other news: my B5 rewatch is trucking right along! We are managing an episode or two per day! Almost caught up to the new season of Attack on Titan...can't wait to get to the new eps of S4!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Covid is going to mutate into an untreatable strain and then we're going to be truly hosed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
SARS-CoV-2 isnt magic. Humanity has dealt with worse poo poo before. loving smallpox was eradicated, though with great effort. I don’t get why everyone just says “gently caress it, I give up” so quick.

Smallpox had an R0 of 3.5 to 6 and a much higher mortality rate. With decades less medical knowledge. poo poo ain’t over yet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm shocked you haven't heard directly from people getting it who have no business skipping the line. It seems extremely common, but I guess it also depends how stupid your state is being.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

SARS-CoV-2 isnt magic. Humanity has dealt with worse poo poo before. loving smallpox was eradicated, though with great effort. I don’t get why everyone just says “gently caress it, I give up” so quick.

Humans are addicted to the notion that their lifetime is the most special and good/bad time ever. It's a desire for narrative.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

Humans are addicted to the notion that their lifetime is the most special and good/bad time ever. It's a desire for narrative.

The fact people go for the gloomiest possible version of that instead of the “cancelling the apocalypse” thing is annoying.

SARS-CoV-2 is serious but it’s still something that is currently a blip compared to a lot of other diseases that aren’t in long distant history and everyone just goes “we’re hosed, bury me”.

loving medieval people were more optimistic about the Black Death, with 10x the mortality rate and no idea how to even begin to treat it. Syphilis used to be a major cause of insanity/blindness/death like a hundred years ago! The 1918 flu killed millions. But no, this disease, this one will always be exactly this bad.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 20, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look some of us are exhausted and want a plague to wipe out as many Republicans as possible.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1362526914733170688

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The fact people go for the gloomiest possible version of that instead of the “cancelling the apocalypse” thing is annoying.

SARS-CoV-2 is serious but it’s still something that is currently a blip compared to a lot of other diseases that aren’t in long distant history and everyone just goes “we’re hosed, bury me”.

loving medieval people were more optimistic about the Black Death, with 10x the mortality rate and no idea how to even begin to treat it. Syphilis used to be a major cause of insanity/blindness/death like a hundred years ago! The 1918 flu killed millions. But no, this disease, this one will always be exactly this bad.

Well, we aren't currently in danger of the golden horde burning our villages, so the current state of things is just marvelous and couldn't possibly be improved!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Well, we aren't currently in danger of the golden horde burning our villages, so the current state of things is just marvelous and couldn't possibly be improved!

I can’t tell if you’re agreeing with me or not. My whole point is that things can improve and just saying “we’re all hosed, this virus is the worst thing that has ever happened” is weird, dumb, and not really borne out by all the other pandemics that have happened.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I can’t tell if you’re agreeing with me or not. My whole point is that things can improve and just saying “we’re all hosed, this virus is the worst thing that has ever happened” is weird, dumb, and not really borne out by all the other pandemics that have happened.

No, I can't say I agree with diminishing people's suffering (then calling it weird and dumb) because it could be worse. I don't think you mean it to sound that way, or at least I hope not.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

No, I can't say I agree with diminishing people's suffering (then calling it weird and dumb) because it could be worse. I don't think you mean it to sound that way, or at least I hope not.

Suffering is suffering. I just hate that whole “we’re hosed, utterly hosed and there is no point in having any hope” attitude. I probably shouldn’t have called it weird and dumb but seeing the constant after effects of doomscrolling making this virus into some kind of supervillain that’s always one step ahead tiresome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Suffering is suffering. I just hate that whole “we’re hosed, utterly hosed and there is no point in having any hope” attitude. I probably shouldn’t have called it weird and dumb but seeing the constant after effects of doomscrolling making this virus into some kind of supervillain that’s always one step ahead tiresome.

The virus itself isn't the whole problem.

But yes, in a vacuum, disregarding literally every other aspect of how we've handled the virus and all the knockon effects and collateral damage, as a matter of only medical science, sure ok, it isn't that bad, relatively speaking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The internet is at last going nuts for Kathryn Hahn, I hope this was finally her breakout role, she deserves to be A list.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

The internet is at last going nuts for Kathryn Hahn, I hope this was finally her breakout role, she deserves to be A list.

First time I heard about her was Parks and Rex where she nailed it. She doesn’t have much range but she’s perfect every time she’s cast for something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the latest episode of Teen Titans Go guest stars and is about the rap group De La Soul and how they're having a dispute about the ownership of their music.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Kathryn Hahn, I watched through WandaVision over the past few days due to curiosity, and I feel like I'm the only person who watched it because I wanted to see old sitcom parodies, rather than because I'm deeply invested in MCU lore or whatever.

I thought it was really funny how many people online I saw complaining about how terrible the first three episodes were and how episode 4 "completely saved the entire series and stopped me from checking out" or stuff like that, because as someone who's only seen the first Avengers movie, I just started tuning out for thirty minutes of talk about people getting Blipped and Captain Marvel fighting Thanos or whatever.

I also see a bunch of people talking about how Elizabeth Olson deserves an Emmy for being able to play so many different roles, and yeah, she and Paul Bettany are good in it but it just reminds me of the reaction to Marriage Story last year where a bunch of MCU/Star Wars fans suddenly watched something non-genre for the first time and had their minds blown by long takes and extended monologues or just seeing actors without their faces being covered up by prosthetics and CGI and as a result confused basic acting with Oscar-transcendant abilities. WandaVision is fun and it's the first time in years an MCU thing has pulled me in but ultimately it's still just an MCU production and not the kind of inscrutable David Lynch production that it gets compared to by people who I really doubt have actually watched anything Lynch has done. (Though really I think the closest Lynch thing to it is On the Air.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts on WandaVision as like the one person watching it for the sitcom aspect rather than the Marvel aspect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, even though I’ve seen all the Marvel movies I’m mainly watching for that reason too. I never bothered with the previous TV shows, but the gimmick for this won me over totally.

It definitely splits its audience as to those who were disappointed episode 4 came so early, and those who were driven mad it too so long. Can’t win over everyone I guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's definitely been plenty of people into the sitcom parodies and weirdness who are bored by the regular MCU aspects of it. I fully expect the series to end back in reality and a lot of people to be annoyed. And then Falcon/Winter Soldier's gonna be straight MCU and there's gonna be a ton of consternation from people who want the MCU to break out of the box.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

STAC Goat posted:

There's definitely been plenty of people into the sitcom parodies and weirdness who are bored by the regular MCU aspects of it. I fully expect the series to end back in reality and a lot of people to be annoyed. And then Falcon/Winter Soldier's gonna be straight MCU and there's gonna be a ton of consternation from people who want the MCU to break out of the box.

I've seen basically all of I dream of genie and bewitched so the first couple were ok from that regard, but I don't otherwise watch sitcoms so I don't know any of the references so I'm very happy that they're focusing on more mcu stuff

So I can see where people could get annoyed by the show focusing on one aspect or the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s literally a doctor strange and scarlet witch movie planned called “in the multiverse of madness”. With a Raimi directing it. I don’t think it’s just being tossed aside. There’s room for weird poo poo in the MCU.