Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This popped up in my recommendations and gave me a sensible chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9W7pvOLxmQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Having binged most of TNG recently I can confidently say: whoever designed these starships without loving STAIRS was an incredible moron. The turbolifts break down constantly and then your only option is climbing a completely vertical ladder through a tiny tube? Your tech is not as foolproof as you think, guys! Build in backup systems!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stairs take up a lot more space.

Ladders should be a non issue on any space ship that has selective gravity deactivation. If you think about it, the whole drama in the turbolift dropping to the bottom of the shaft in TNG is really silly. Why would gravity even be turned on in the turbolift shafts? That's just wasted energy. You need grav plating and an inertial dampening field in the car itself to keep people from being tossed around like ragdolls. The shafts though should all be weightless.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't cruise ships have stairs and these are based off those, eh?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

Having binged most of TNG recently I can confidently say: whoever designed these starships without loving STAIRS was an incredible moron. The turbolifts break down constantly and then your only option is climbing a completely vertical ladder through a tiny tube? Your tech is not as foolproof as you think, guys! Build in backup systems!

space robot spotted

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bull3964 posted:

Stairs take up a lot more space.

And there's just no space for them on the notoriously cramped Enterprise-D. It's like a submarine, every cubic inch of space matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Powered Descent posted:

And there's just no space for them on the notoriously cramped Enterprise-D. It's like a submarine, every cubic inch of space matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

You try telling cetaceous ops that their tanks are going to be smaller!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha this ruled
https://twitter.com/MisterABK/status/1362711400041353219?s=09

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

This popped up in my recommendations and gave me a sensible chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9W7pvOLxmQ

I did not realize the guy who made Nelly Cootalot also did funny videos but I guess the Kickstarter trailer should have been a hint.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The excellent blueprints of the Constitution Enterprise have a bunch of ladders and stairs, esp on like deck 2-4 or such for emergency mass exiting of the ship during a saucer landing.

Those blue prints are cool and even include the swimming pool and bowling alley, along with the very neat idea of the officers all have 2x quarters for ship separation.

It’s funny how much of an idea ship separation was and how it was never used, for budget regions. Like anytime the ship was about to go into combat they shoulda separated that poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Galaxy or Constitution?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Both, cause the thought of using the kids and families in the saucer as a blocker always seemed weird to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Axe-man posted:

Both, cause the thought of using the kids and families in the saucer as a blocker always seemed weird to me.
I figured the idea was that you'd park the saucer, which is an autonomous vessel if not warp capable, and then the star drive section goes off to deal with the dangerous circumstance. They were probably not expecting serious military action like we see in, uh, later seasons of star trek, of course.

The DS9-era Galaxies presumably did not have families on board.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

jeeves posted:

The excellent blueprints of the Constitution Enterprise have a bunch of ladders and stairs, esp on like deck 2-4 or such for emergency mass exiting of the ship during a saucer landing.

Those blue prints are cool and even include the swimming pool and bowling alley, along with the very neat idea of the officers all have 2x quarters for ship separation.

It’s funny how much of an idea ship separation was and how it was never used, for budget regions. Like anytime the ship was about to go into combat they shoulda separated that poo poo.

When they actually tried to implement it in TNG, it was also awful for episode pacing!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H5FBlyV3X0

Wait for it....

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm impressed with Terry O'Quinn's ability to hold it together while all hell is apparently breaking loose around him.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

T.C. posted:

When they actually tried to implement it in TNG, it was also awful for episode pacing!

I just find it interesting that the transporter as a concept was made to get around budgetary reasons of the need for shuttle landings, and yet almost the opposite happened where they scaled back on the ship separation thing for budgetary reasons.

It’s like the whole reason that the original Enterprise had a saucer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

T.C. posted:

If the main bridge had been in the hull it would've been much easier. They could've just said 'prepare to separate' and cut to the hull whizzing toward the enemy.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

jeeves posted:

I just find it interesting that the transporter as a concept was made to get around budgetary reasons of the need for shuttle landings, and yet almost the opposite happened where they scaled back on the ship separation thing for budgetary reasons.

It’s like the whole reason that the original Enterprise had a saucer.

I thought they started with "flying saucer but its going to go so fast the engines will have to be huge and we'll need to keep them away from people by putting them on poles or something". Besides, wasn't the idea that the Constitution could only separate as an emergency with explosive bolts and would need a starbase to go back together?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the problem is that each individual piece looks way worse than the rest of the ship

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MikeJF posted:

If the main bridge had been in the hull it would've been much easier. They could've just said 'prepare to separate' and cut to the hull whizzing toward the enemy.

Spin up the saucer section and shoot it through a borg cube like a buzzsaw.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Spin up the saucer section and shoot it through a borg cube like a buzzsaw.

Since they specialize their shields for the shots they are taking, this will work extremely well exactly once!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The saucer looked so good with its impulse engines lit. I wish we'd seen them glowing more often.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

the problem is that each individual piece looks way worse than the rest of the ship

Probert had originally throught in their instructions that 'battle section' meant that a part of the ship would undock to fight the battles and designed it like this

where that zippy looking boomerang with the main phasers and bridge and stuff would split off and pew pew at people.

quote:

When I showed this to them they said, “No, no. What’ll happen is the saucer separates and the engineering hull then becomes the battle section.” So I have this dorsal sculpted into the saucer and now I have to separate that and still make it look good both ways, which was an extraordinary challenge.

'extraordinary challenge' aka 'couldn't really manage it'.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://youtu.be/AN0lFBHTZ1o

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sash! posted:

I suspect there is a middle ground between "no AI" and "I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR HUMAN EMOTION CALLED LOVE, THEREFORE I WILL EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE" when it comes to predictive analysis and response by a smart system.

Probably, but wasn't this literally an entire TOS episode? The one with the AI-piloted constitution class wiping out a bunch of other ships when it doesn't get that it's a training exercise?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I thought my brain malfunctioned for a second

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would also argue that Soren in Generations doesn’t want revenge. He wants to return to the Nexus, that’s his only motivation. He doesn’t care who’s standing in his way, it’s all about just getting back.

While that's a solid argument, I would counter-argue that the Duras Sisters definitely do want revenge, on the man who killed their brother, helped bring down their Great House, and reduced them to running at the boundaries of Civilization, and on his Captain, Crew, and Ship, as well. Even if Soren gets all the attention and they're treated as if they were, like, henchwomen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

While that's a solid argument, I would counter-argue that the Duras Sisters definitely do want revenge, on the man who killed their brother, helped bring down their Great House, and reduced them to running at the boundaries of Civilization, and on his Captain, Crew, and Ship, as well. Even if Soren gets all the attention and they're treated as if they were, like, henchwomen.

That’s fair, but they were already working with Soran before he ran into the Enterprise. So any revenge on Picard & Worf would be incidental to the scheme they already had, which was a line about using Soran’s missile tech for some undefined purpose after he’d been sent back to the Nexus iirc.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Probert had originally throught in their instructions that 'battle section' meant that a part of the ship would undock to fight the battles and designed it like this

where that zippy looking boomerang with the main phasers and bridge and stuff would split off and pew pew at people.

drat that's actually really cool, wish they'd kept this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching “The City on the Edge of Forever” and the obvious out-of-context conclusion to all of Joan Collins’ questions to Kirk about why he and his friend are so secretive and spend so much time alone together is that they’re a couple. I kind of want to know about the fan fiction legacy of that episode but I also really don’t.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m watching “The City on the Edge of Forever” and the obvious out-of-context conclusion to all of Joan Collins’ questions to Kirk about why he and his friend are so secretive and spend so much time alone together is that they’re a couple. I kind of want to know about the fan fiction legacy of that episode but I also really don’t.

Hint: it spawned the "/" in "slashfiction

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

showbiz_liz posted:

drat that's actually really cool, wish they'd kept this.

It's still imbalanced but the design for the -E took separation into account and made the main drive section look a lot better than the -D did with the saucer missing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Astroman posted:

Hint: it spawned the "/" in "slashfiction

I should not have been surprised to learn that.

People talk about it as a showcase for Shatner and Nimoy, but DeForrest Kelly also puts in a strong performance in the few scenes where he’s not hosed up on space drugs—and even then he has a few good line deliveries.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I should not have been surprised to learn that.

People talk about it as a showcase for Shatner and Nimoy, but DeForrest Kelly also puts in a strong performance in the few scenes where he’s not hosed up on space drugs—and even then he has a few good line deliveries.

IIRC Kelley said "City" was his favorite episode of the series

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e: double post

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

'extraordinary challenge' aka 'couldn't really manage it'.

The separated stardrive section looks pretty boss to me. The cobra head does a great job of implying the presence of the saucer while also producing a meaner profile that says "this is the poo poo-kicker part of the ship". And unlike that hideous split E concept it actually looks like a functional ship in its own right and not a decapitated space whale.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 21, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think it may have been better if the cobra head was wider, out to the width of the nacelles. Mount the impulse engines a little wider and have the cobra head out roughly like this, mirror the shape

Or go the other way and do something similar to what STO does with the Odyssey (many other issues with the Odyssey design notwithstanding)

Either way helps solve the problem that the cobra head is too small and it looks decapitated against the nacelles.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 21, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

It's still imbalanced but the design for the -E took separation into account and made the main drive section look a lot better than the -D did with the saucer missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Today I randomly remembered that when I was a kid I had two Star Trek vinyl records that had new original mini-episodes on them. I believe they were voiced by the cast of the animated series because M'ress was involved. I must have listened to them 100 times. There was one where an ambassador's escaped psychic pet was turning the crew's brains into cat brains, one where the crew was infected by a disease that made them laugh uncontrollably to the point it was endangering their health and the ship, one where the crew has to help some Federation colonists wrangle some space buffalos before they stampede and kill everyone, and one where the ship encounters a deep-space life form who exists as PURE SOUND and who's in danger of turning the crew deaf and destroying the ship through harmonic resonance.

Just thought I'd share.