Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So instead of being able to alt-tab between a game and something else, you have to reboot the whole thing?

If he only plays games sometimes, what's the big deal? Rebooting takes 10 seconds and you can alt-tab to something else in windows.

Anyways the real pr0 move these days is you get a second cheap GPU, and run windows in a KVM with GPU passthrough. Never need to reboot, performance is 99% of native speed, and windows gets to sit in a little cage and not bother you.

I was seriously considering this about 2 years ago when I was getting pissed off at some win10 things, and am still occasionally tempted. (Though getting a second GPU is a real sticking point right now, even very basic cards are out of stock or lolworthy prices.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Also, isn't "Storage Spaces" just the same basic drive-spanning partition that has been around since at least Windows XP Pro?

No.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm very happy "productivity" doesn't mean "Photoshop" (or any Adobe software) to me. They should have never been allowed to take over Macromedia on anti-competitive grounds.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. About the only thing that could possibly be a headache for me is Office, but even that is rarely a problem anymore with the browser-based 365 versions available.

Well, and fillable PDFs that refuse to act normal in anything but Adobe's proprietary software. But that's also more rare.

Klyith posted:

If he only plays games sometimes, what's the big deal? Rebooting takes 10 seconds and you can alt-tab to something else in windows.

Anyways the real pr0 move these days is you get a second cheap GPU, and run windows in a KVM with GPU passthrough. Never need to reboot, performance is 99% of native speed, and windows gets to sit in a little cage and not bother you.

I was seriously considering this about 2 years ago when I was getting pissed off at some win10 things, and am still occasionally tempted. (Though getting a second GPU is a real sticking point right now, even very basic cards are out of stock or lolworthy prices.)

I could actually play a big chunk of my Steam library in Linux if I wanted to, but I've dual-booted as a matter of course since the early 2000s so it's kind of habit to just reboot. And yeah, on this machine it's like 10 seconds with most of that time being on the mobo's splash screen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Klyith posted:

The only time I play a game with only that game on one monitor, and not that game + other stuff on other monitors is when my computer can barely run the game and I have to. If you can have em both open on either monitor same time, no sweat I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Khanstant posted:

The only time I play a game with only that game on one monitor, and not that game + other stuff on other monitors is when my computer can barely run the game and I have to. If you can have em both open on either monitor same time, no sweat I guess.

Yeah, if I'm playing a game that's the only thing I'm doing. If it's a game where I want to look something up while playing I either alt-tab out or use something else to look it up on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One day Windows and Mac's OSs will finally be public domain and we will have to compromise no more

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, and also Linux lacks a lot of decent productivity software, that's Windows and/or Mac only. And no, GIMP isn't a suitable replacement for Photoshop, among other examples. With a few examples that actually deliver native Linux versions, say Davinci Resolve for instance, none of the opensource alternatives are worth switching to, if you're serious about your work.

Blender is fine. Libre Office is fine, everything gets exported to PDF anyway. Unity is fine, except VS integration is a must so I'll give you that. VS code is fine etc. etc.

For games it sucks, but I usually game on the couch anyway so we have a VM for that.

It does have some rough edges for sure, but a whole lot of stuff works pretty great.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Blender is fine. Open Office is fine, everything gets exported to PDF anyway. Unity is fine, except VS integration is a must so I'll give you that. VS code is fine etc. etc.

For games it sucks, but I usually game on the couch anyway so we have a VM for that.

It does have some rough edges for sure, but a whole lot of stuff works pretty great.

Don't use OpenOffice, LibreOffice is what you want to use. The projects forked a long time ago, LibreOffice is way ahead of the quasi-dead OpenOffice (and is what is included with pretty much all distributions nowadays).

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Don't use OpenOffice, LibreOffice is what you want to use. The projects forked a long time ago, LibreOffice is way ahead of the quasi-dead OpenOffice (and is what is included with pretty much all distributions nowadays).

That's the one I meant actually, don't know why I typed Open Office.

Exactly for the reasons you mentioned. :)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I use Libreoffice as home. 'fine' is definitely the limit of praise it deserves. Particularly compared to Excel I find it a bit slow (especially saving large, multi sheet workbooks) and the graphs are unfixable ugly (scatter chart symbols especially).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yeah well, I used the whole VFIO thing years ago already. Been there done that. When I talked about it in the VM thread back then, people thought I was talking in a moon language.

What happened is that I kept booting in a Windows desktop that ran smoother in framerate than the Gnome Shell I was operating. That was jarring as hell, at least when going back to the Linux desktop. Productivity software was ran in a VM, too. The main activity in Linux was pretty much browsing, watching videos and some minor web coding stuff.

Didn't seem to make much sense, still doesn't.

My NVidia card(s) still to this day keeps running in high performance mode on an idle Linux desktop, because I dare to have two HFR displays, woohoo. And I heard about Wayland back in the days I ran OpenSolaris fulltime of all things. It's been ten years since Oracle bought Sun, and Wayland still isn't the default compositor.

I really like Linux, but it's not where it ought to be for the enduser. Insert Year of the Linux Desktop joke here.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I use Libreoffice as home. 'fine' is definitely the limit of praise it deserves. Particularly compared to Excel I find it a bit slow (especially saving large, multi sheet workbooks) and the graphs are unfixable ugly (scatter chart symbols especially).
I'm doing on the fly data analysis with Excel at work, whenever sales or production feel asking the dumbest/weirdest questions. While Calc might be capable, it ain't enough. Plus it doesn't have Power Query.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 14, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Think MS will eventually retire the shortcut symbol (at least on the desktop)? It feels like an ugly relic from a different era. I'm aware you can hide it with a regedit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Windows 21H1 is gonna be another minor, in-place cumulative patch type update. No major new features or glitz. Not huge news, no date yet. Since the in-place updates don't do drastic changes, they've been pretty safe to accept the upgrade relatively quickly.

Rinkles posted:

Think MS will eventually retire the shortcut symbol (at least on the desktop)? It feels like an ugly relic from a different era. I'm aware you can hide it with a regedit.

I like the idea of being able to turn it off specifically on the desktop. But I wouldn't hold my breath -- power users who care about aesthetic have, uh, not been MS's priority. Ever.

Something to distinguish shortcuts is useful though, especially with more icons being thumbnails of the file, and the defaults shifting more and more to hiding file extensions. The old mac os9 thing where aliases were in italics was classy, someone should bring that back as an option.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Why though? How would you distinguish an executable on the desktop from a shortcut to one?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

You can disable the shortcut arrow thing already with third party tools. I remember that option in some tool when I cared more about such things 6 years ago.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Any idea how to fix things if Windows doesn't acknowledge a plugged-in device in any way?

Background:

Until recently I had a Steam Link for in-home streaming with a wireless 360 controller and adapter (both official Microsoft ones) which worked fine. Last month I decided to upgrade a little and got an Nvidia Shield TV and Xbox One controller, because the non-pro version of the Shield doesn't have a USB port and does everything via Bluetooth. I decided to take the old 360 controller / adapter and use them with my PC for the rare times I want to game using a controller at the PC.

Except Windows doesn't acknowledge the adapter when it's plugged in. Device Manager doesn't show it at all, even as an unknown device (I've checked with show hidden devices on as well). It seems like Microsoft did something that broke compatibility with Windows 10 as I've seen others reporting similar issues, but all of them had the adapter show as an unknown device in Device Manager that they can apply drivers to.

A hardware issue seems unlikely as the adapter worked fine plugged into the Steam Link. Maybe this is Windows telling me to get a new controller but I'd prefer to get this one working before buying more kit!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why though? How would you distinguish an executable on the desktop from a shortcut to one?

Yeah, I want a visual clue that what I'm looking at is a shortcut rather than the original. It would be a weird adjustment to my workflow to have yet another piece of information hidden from. I mean, I'm already used to having to disable "hide extensions for known file types," but having even more poo poo obfuscated for no good reason is an annoying idea.

Klyith posted:

I like the idea of being able to turn it off specifically on the desktop. But I wouldn't hold my breath -- power users who care about aesthetic have, uh, not been MS's priority. Ever.

Something to distinguish shortcuts is useful though, especially with more icons being thumbnails of the file, and the defaults shifting more and more to hiding file extensions. The old mac os9 thing where aliases were in italics was classy, someone should bring that back as an option.

Yeah, agreed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

you'll launch the uwp app from the start menu and you'll like it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Having anything on the desktop is haram.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fame Douglas posted:

I can agree with that. I've legit had desktop icons disabled since the XP days. If you're on the desktop, you're not working. If you need something from "the desktop", it's more flexible to open the folder in explorer

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Party Boat posted:

Any idea how to fix things if Windows doesn't acknowledge a plugged-in device in any way?

Background:

Until recently I had a Steam Link for in-home streaming with a wireless 360 controller and adapter (both official Microsoft ones) which worked fine. Last month I decided to upgrade a little and got an Nvidia Shield TV and Xbox One controller, because the non-pro version of the Shield doesn't have a USB port and does everything via Bluetooth. I decided to take the old 360 controller / adapter and use them with my PC for the rare times I want to game using a controller at the PC.

Except Windows doesn't acknowledge the adapter when it's plugged in. Device Manager doesn't show it at all, even as an unknown device (I've checked with show hidden devices on as well). It seems like Microsoft did something that broke compatibility with Windows 10 as I've seen others reporting similar issues, but all of them had the adapter show as an unknown device in Device Manager that they can apply drivers to.

A hardware issue seems unlikely as the adapter worked fine plugged into the Steam Link. Maybe this is Windows telling me to get a new controller but I'd prefer to get this one working before buying more kit!

Tried other ports?

I have a USB NVMe drive enclosure that only works on USB 3.1 ports on my system. Any other port and I don't even get the new hardware bing when I plug it in.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Then what's the point of it existing?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

AlexDeGruven posted:

Tried other ports?

I have a USB NVMe drive enclosure that only works on USB 3.1 ports on my system. Any other port and I don't even get the new hardware bing when I plug it in.

Yeah I've tried all over, front and back. No issues with any other devices in those ports.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Show you pretty pictures as a background.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shrug, my Desktop backs up to my OneDrive so who gives a poo poo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

Having anything but shortcuts on the desktop is haram, except for stuff I am literally working with in the moment and intend to delete.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Shrug, my Desktop backs up to my OneDrive so who gives a poo poo.

Reported

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I like aligning my icons along my wallpaper :shobon:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Geemer posted:

I like aligning my icons along my wallpaper :shobon:

I too remember setting the wallpaper to a screenshot of all the shortcuts which are then removed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

isndl posted:

I too remember setting the wallpaper to a screenshot of all the shortcuts which are then removed.

For a few years in the early 2000s my wallpaper was a picture of my desktop.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For a few years in the early 2000s my wallpaper was a picture of my desktop.

That was a fun and harmless prank from back in the day. Screenshot someone's desktop, delete the shortcuts, then replace their wallpaper with the screenshot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TOOT BOOT posted:

To display either nothing, or a nice image to lift your spirits when you first boot your machine

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lol all the UWP apps on my PC have poo poo themselves again:

Everything on that list is unable to update or be removed, and most of them can't even run.

(I only noticed because I was trying to switch to the 1.6 preview of Windows Terminal and couldn't update or uninstall the 1.5 version that's currently installed. I'm now stuck with it. Who knows how long the rest of the built in apps have been wedged. That's how much I use or pay attention to the UWP apps anymore: not at all. But the installed version of winterminal at least still runs!)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not entirely sure what the situation with the Windows Store is. It only ever updates the system UWP apps, when I click around in the various My Library sections, it never updates properly and shows what's actually on system. It's broken to gently caress. Right now I have exactly zero apps installed according to it ("Add some apps. There's nothing in your library.").

Windows Terminal is a good example. Whenever I find out there was a new release, I need to open the Store and go to the store page for it to update. It won't do it on its own, and neither does clicking check for updates in the app library.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the situation with the Windows Store is.

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's broken to gently caress.

That's all there is to it.

It's not really the store that's broken, it's the UWP system underneath it. Attempting to reset the existing apps with the Get-AppxPackage | Add-AppxPackage dance errors out with a number of different error messages. It's a fragile dumpster fire, and since the MS Store didn't become an app-store like source of revenue they're not working on it.

At least they've done something to isolate the system level UWP apps from this cancer -- in the past the same pattern would spread to the taskbar and startmenu. At which point you were forced to do an in-place reinstall because your OS was broken.

Attempting to uninstall Terminal with powershell gives me a real error message though:
AppExecutionAlias directory missing, error code is 0x8007010B
That message has 1 unique hit on google.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the situation with the Windows Store is. It only ever updates the system UWP apps, when I click around in the various My Library sections, it never updates properly and shows what's actually on system. It's broken to gently caress. Right now I have exactly zero apps installed according to it ("Add some apps. There's nothing in your library.").

Windows Terminal is a good example. Whenever I find out there was a new release, I need to open the Store and go to the store page for it to update. It won't do it on its own, and neither does clicking check for updates in the app library.

Same, it doesn't show that I got anything installed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

On one hand, they're decoupling WinUI from this UWP and container crap with release 3.0. On the other hand, I'm not sure what the gently caress they're thinking, because they postponed xcopy deployments to at least the second half of the year and still insist on MSIX packages (which is replacing AppX).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the gently caress they're thinking, because they postponed xcopy deployments to at least the second half of the year and still insist on MSIX packages (which is replacing AppX).
That sucks.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Klyith posted:

Hmmm, I think I see your problem -- controller input doing things with the start menu or regular apps is not normal, that's from the steam controller features. If you're using steam big picture you probably have that stuff on. So something is getting hosed up with steam's controller stuff probably, and I bet quitting steam would fix the issue without having to reboot the whole PC.

(IMO steam controller stuff is best left turned off unless you have a game that really won't work without it.)

quitting Steam didn't fix it. also, it's happening with Dark Souls 3 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
been googling my problem and finding people who are pissed off and making GBS threads on reps. and rightfully so

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop/how-to-disable-xbox-360-and-xbox-one-controller/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-controller-working-the-start/10f641c0-9fa0-49d7-a77a-05fdcb61fd41

it feels great to read these even though it doesn't actually solve my problem