Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Avatar, here’s some recent news regarding the upcoming Netflix series:

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/02/19/avatar-the-last-airbender-kim/

The site isn't a real one; and the news isn't credible. It's a shitshow leak and false advertising. I swear they put up fake news poo poo like this beforehand. Not a credible source. Will likely edit this later after my brain wakes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tactless Ogre posted:

The site isn't a real one; and the news isn't credible. It's a shitshow leak and false advertising. I swear they put up fake news poo poo like this beforehand. Not a credible source. Will likely edit this later after my brain wakes up.

It’s not? Oh, then nevermind in that case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In actual news, Sarah Michelle Gellar will apparently be voicing Teela in the upcoming MOTU sequel:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xFRTLdKXH2I

And the full cast list:

Chris Wood as Prince Adam / He-Man
Mark Hamill as Skeletor
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Teela
Liam Cunningham as Man-At-Arms
Lena Headey as Evil-Lyn
Diedrich Bader as King Randor and Trap Jaw
Alicia Silverstone as Queen Marlena
Stephen Root as Battle Cat
Griffin Newman as Orko
Susan Eisenberg as Sorceress
Kevin Michael Richardson as Beast Man
Kevin Conroy as Mer-Man
Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops
Jason Mewes as Stinkor
Alan Oppenheimer as Moss-Man
Justin Long as Roboto
Tony Todd as Scare Glow
Phil LaMarr as He-Ro
Cree Summer as Priestess
Harley Quinn Smith as Ileena
Tiffany Smith as Andra

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 20, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Learned that there was going to be an Astro Boy reboot and got super hyped but then I learned the project has been in limbo for like 6 years and now I'm sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z240pys_D4A

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 20, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

In actual news, Sarah Michelle Gellar will apparently be voicing Teela in the upcoming MOTU sequel:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xFRTLdKXH2I

And the full cast list:

Chris Wood as Prince Adam / He-Man
Mark Hamill as Skeletor
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Teela
Liam Cunningham as Man-At-Arms
Lena Headey as Evil-Lyn
Diedrich Bader as King Randor and Trap Jaw
Alicia Silverstone as Queen Marlena
Stephen Root as Battle Cat
Griffin Newman as Orko
Susan Eisenberg as Sorceress
Kevin Michael Richardson as Beast Man
Kevin Conroy as Mer-Man
Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops
Jason Mewes as Stinkor
Alan Oppenheimer as Moss-Man
Justin Long as Roboto
Tony Todd as Scare Glow
Phil LaMarr as He-Ro
Cree Summer as Priestess
Harley Quinn Smith as Ileena
Tiffany Smith as Andra

Good to see Alan Oppenheimer's involved in this one too in some capacity.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Good to see Alan Oppenheimer's involved in this one too in some capacity.

From what I understand there’s two He-Man shows in development: Revelations which is apparently a sequel of sorts to the 80’s series and another that’s a full fledged reboot. Both will be Netflix exclusive like the She-Ra reboot was though it’s possible the latter will have a different voice cast.

Has any footage of either show been released yet?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I started watching the 90s Moomin bc youtube wouldn't stop recommending it and now it's all i want to talk about. I didn't realize this childrens show would have arcs, also it's way prettier than it has any right to be

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also it still seems weird to do a straight-up remake of the show after not that long. It doesn't even sound like Netflix is planning much of a new spin on it.

15 years?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think I have a new favourite moment in the Mask cartoon - in one episode Ipkiss has put the Mask into a safe deposit box because he doesn't want to deal with it anymore, until a deranged musical theatre director runs amok in a giant mechanical gorilla so of course he has an urgent need for it. While he's trying to convince his colleague to open the box despite him having lost the key, the bank gets robbed, but instead of reacting normally to the situation, Ipkiss just has a really relatable meltdown at his terrified colleague, just being all "Oh, of course, when a bank employee wants into a box it's 'I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do...' but when some random shmo with a hostage and high-powered explosives wants in it's 'Of course, sir. Let me help you sir. WOULD YOU LIKE FREE CHECKING SIR?!'"

Also another neat aspect of the Mask bringing out someone's true nature - Skillit gives the Mask to one of his "toys" in Shadowland expecting him to cause chaos in Edge City, but the Mask brings out Freddy's true personality (his toys are named Freddy and Jason) - a very sweet guy who doesn't want to hurt anyone. He just finally has the confidence to NOT obey Skillit for once.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 21, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Senerio posted:

Gonna be honest, he was a highlight, because I pictured every one of his scenes ending with him throwing back to Jon

Yeah, I know it's sized for ants.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Been watching The Muppet Show since it's finally been put up on Disney+ and yup its still really good

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/jammkamm/status/1363605634193653761

Butch Hartman continues to be a hack

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Someone really should give him an interview wihtout coffee.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wound up checking out a couple of episodes of Craig of The Creek, and dang if it's not giving me Recess vibes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1364232551817043968

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just rediscovered the show Mad Jack the Pirate from a youtube recommendation. I hadn't thought about it in decades and started watching whatever episodes are uploaded right now. It's pretty good, although very cartoony. Definitely too good to have been totally forgotten.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the ATLA creators have formed their own studio and an animated film set in the same universe is in the works:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/avatar-last-airbender-expanded-universe-nickelodeon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's really interesting because reading on it, I think it's absolutely a top-down decision of Viacom wanting/needing niche content for their hacked-together streaming service. I legitimately think that when ATLA was trending because of being on Netflix, some suits realized that they owned that IP and could get subscriptions by expanding it. (And Bryke welcomed the exit to the Netflix project with open arms)

I'm super down. At its best, this franchise is the best American Animation has put out and is always pushing the envelope. At its worst it's still really loving nice and pretty. Can't wait to see what comes from it (dying to see the earth kingdom avatar that would follow Korra, the state of the avatar cycle and the earth kingdom a few decades after the Korra finale would be insanely interesting)

Still somewhat worried this could totally end before anything comes out. Again, I think this is all being done solely in hopes of making Paramount+ seem appealing, and that thing could totally end by the time an animated feature film is completed.

e: yeah there's a whole slate of announcements for paramount+ including a cg rugrats

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 25, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wound up checking out a couple of episodes of Craig of The Creek, and dang if it's not giving me Recess vibes.

I too have a real soft spot for "kids have their own society" type of shows

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Apparently the ATLA creators have formed their own studio and an animated film set in the same universe is in the works:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/avatar-last-airbender-expanded-universe-nickelodeon

Come on you cowards do Avatar in the 80's.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

On one hand I would like to see more Avatar but on the other Korra made me lose trust in the creators (my personal hot take is that season 3 was great and the others range from mediocre to garbage) and I'm anxious about seeing them take another swing. I'd like to see other creators maybe play around with that universe.

On the other other hand every time I hear "expanded universe" these days I imagine that picture of the Star Wars conference with 10 goddamned spinoff series in the background and get unreasonably angry I'm just like gently caress do we need a series about every side character in the universe can't we leave anything to mystery anymore? ...Sorry, I blacked out, what was I saying?

MorningMoon posted:

e: yeah there's a whole slate of announcements for paramount+ including a cg rugrats

I shudder at the thought of the Klasky-Csupo art style rendered in 3D.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

https://twitter.com/paramountplus/status/1364718515626860552

Wonder if we'll get Avatar in this style too, given that they've gone there for Spongebob and Rugrats.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Dil and Chuckie's step-sister whose name I can't remember not exist anymore?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does Dil and Chuckie's step-sister whose name I can't remember not exist anymore?

This is pre-shippuden and before the Paris arc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd be hopeful that they'll turn out something good, but there's no guarantee. Not because Korra was badly planned out, but just the fact that the IP on its own isn't gonna guarantee a new work being good.

Honestly if they're gonna try having shows to be a draw to the new streaming service, they should've been exploring pilots for new interesting ideas with more potential rather than just trying to pump new blood into old works, especially the ones where the original talent is long gone. And in the grave after saying that they'd never let that sequel series happen.

TwoPair posted:

It's been done before.

Honestly I don't think it's possible to get CGI to be properly in the spirit of Klasky-Csupo, you just can't get that uncomfortable and wild.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If nothing else this will lead to Frasier saying "big chungus", so it's all worth it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly I don't think it's possible to get CGI to be properly in the spirit of Klasky-Csupo, you just can't get that uncomfortable and wild.

I mean, what's the point then?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SlothfulCobra posted:

gleaming 3D models of the children's horrifying gums

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

https://twitter.com/paramountplus/status/1364718515626860552

Wonder if we'll get Avatar in this style too, given that they've gone there for Spongebob and Rugrats.

Wow I thought it'd be really bad looking but instead it's just really bland! So arguably worse!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

is the netflix series still in the works, or is that kaput?

as far as this news goes, i'm not gonna complain if they make a film, but i'd prefer a series, and it seems like nickelodeon is taking the issue seriously enough that they probably won't cut their budget early on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

as far as this news goes, i'm not gonna complain if they make a film, but i'd prefer a series, and it seems like nickelodeon is taking the issue seriously enough that they probably won't cut their budget early on.

Last I checked the Netflix show was in development hell due to Covid, I know the original creators bailed on it due to “creative differences” at least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Last I checked the Netflix show was in development hell due to Covid, I know the original creators bailed on it due to “creative differences” at least.

The show also picked up a new executive producer last week, but so their only credit of note seems to be "was the executive producer for that one final season of Sleepy Hollow where they desperately tried to right the ship after half the cast bailed because the previous showwrunners were incompetent racists and then it got cancelled anyway."

Not doing much in the way of rekindling optimism for the project, gotta say.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Wow I thought it'd be really bad looking but instead it's just really bland! So arguably worse!

Honestly it's somewhat better than I thought it would be. Still probably not going to see it because I've been over Rugrats since before Dill was a thing but the animation won't be a factor.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The main issue is that like the original show in it's later years it's probably going to make the mistake of focusing too much on the kids when many of the funniest parts came from the adults who in many respects were the real stars of the show

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

The way it's worded it sounds like they're gonna try to saturate the market with all sorts of stories and formats, just that a feature film is the first thing they'll start working on. Like the point of Avatar Studios is to have a wing of Nick dedicated to pumping out Avatar content.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Randomly just found out an artist I follow on Twitter named Ingram Jinkins(they're pretty good) is the kid of Doug creator Jim Jinkins

In unrelated news a new CG My Little Pony movie and show has been announced for Netflix, which definitely seems to be going in a much different direction than FiM both stylistically and in story, not a "brony" or anything myself but it's cartoon news that hasn't been posted yet so might as well share it

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The show also picked up a new executive producer last week, but so their only credit of note seems to be "was the executive producer for that one final season of Sleepy Hollow where they desperately tried to right the ship after half the cast bailed because the previous showwrunners were incompetent racists and then it got cancelled anyway."

Not doing much in the way of rekindling optimism for the project, gotta say.

I'm pretty sure that was debunked just a few posts ago in this thread - apparently it was likely to be fabricated news from an untrustworthy website. I don't think it got picked up by any major sites since the source was so dubious.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

drrockso20 posted:

The main issue is that like the original show in it's later years it's probably going to make the mistake of focusing too much on the kids when many of the funniest parts came from the adults who in many respects were the real stars of the show

Depends on how old you are when you watch it. I vaguely recall watching Rugrats as a kid and being annoyed by all the time the show spent on the adults.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am so tired of reboots and revivals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

kidcoelacanth posted:

i am so tired of reboots and revivals

Meh, despite that, some are really incredibly good (e.g. Ducktales) so I am willing to not discard them just based on that.