Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already, but what's the thoughts on 20H2 update? Avoid like the plague or do it?

All my home PCs are calling for it as an option now and I've not done any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I did it the other night. I’m usually hesitant to do a Windows update, but I just thought screw it. It went pretty quickly? IDK what’s actually in it, but am I right in reading that it’s the October update? October feels like forever ago

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Howtogeek.com has a summary of the changes, just google it. I installed the update a while ago as well and I've not experienced any issues.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

edit: nvm, already covered

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, thanks folks

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already, but what's the thoughts on 20H2 update? Avoid like the plague or do it?

All my home PCs are calling for it as an option now and I've not done any of them.

20h2 was a minor update and those have all been totally safe so far

Actually since MS shook up their org chart and moved to the major-minor schedule, the big updates have not had major disaster fuckups. OTOH there's been some regular old monthly / patch-tuesday stuff that was had issues. So my advice is to just set a ~1 - 1.5 month defer on all "feature" updates, and don't bother trying to avoid the major updates extra.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The Lord Bude posted:

Point still stands though; you shouldn’t be running windows 7.

My spare PC is on Win 7, as Win 10 hard locks when I install it on that system. It just hates some of the hardware. The machine is on maybe 4 hours a week when a friend drops by and plays some Steam games, so I'm not bothered.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the easiest way to sync (backup?) a single folder from one internal drive to another?

I have two internal drives, a system drive and a 'storage' drive, and I want to copy the contents of a folder on the system drive, to one on the storage drive (one-way), either on a schedule or on data change.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Robocopy via a scheduled task would get the job done for something that simple.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Robocopy via a scheduled task would get the job done for something that simple.

Good thing I refreshed before I posted... seconding this. /MIR option is what you want once you’re sure of your source/destination

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So after I've done the 20H2 update, Cortana is now nagging me with signing in and won't go away. And pops-up over any program I have running like a piece of malware. I have no options to make it disappear and nothing in the startup programs to disable. Options that I can see give me nothing to get rid of it, or even to hide it. What am I missing here?

I do not want to use Cortana. If I relent and sign into it, can I then remove/disable/hide it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

So after I've done the 20H2 update, Cortana is now nagging me with signing in and won't go away. And pops-up over any program I have running like a piece of malware. I have no options to make it disappear and nothing in the startup programs to disable. Options that I can see give me nothing to get rid of it, or even to hide it. What am I missing here?

Win10 is pushing MS accounts hard because they want as much data as google. They pretty much give away 10 for free so this is the catch.

#1: if you never want a MS account (highly recommended) and have pro, you can use group policies
1. win+r, gpedit.msc
2. Computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings -> local policies -> security options -> Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts
3. set it to block adding

quote:

I do not want to use Cortana. If I relent and sign into it, can I then remove/disable/hide it?

You can now* uninstall cortana on win10 without messing up normal windows search or causing any problems. Instructions here.

*unless you're still on 1909, in which case you need to update to 2004 or 20H2

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

There should be an easily-googleable registry tweak that resolves Cortana in one go without needing to feed it personal info.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

As pathetic as it is to say, it's best to unplug your network cable when you install Windows 10 so it'll let you make a normal user account.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ugh, thanks folks. I just hate how MS tries their best to absolutely force it on you. I can live with Edge being installed, I just don't use it, but this force feeding crap and trying to annoy you into relenting is the worst.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TOOT BOOT posted:

As pathetic as it is to say, it's best to unplug your network cable when you install Windows 10 so it'll let you make a normal user account.

This really infuriated me. I bought my sister a laptop for Christmas and set it up for her, since I didn't have her Microsoft account info I was going to just create a local account to make sure everything worked, but then found that option didn't exist and there was no way to get back since I had already put it my WiFi, so even rebooting connected automatically.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Medullah posted:

This really infuriated me. I bought my sister a laptop for Christmas and set it up for her, since I didn't have her Microsoft account info I was going to just create a local account to make sure everything worked, but then found that option didn't exist and there was no way to get back since I had already put it my WiFi, so even rebooting connected automatically.

Most laptops have a button on the keyboard to put it into airplane mode which is what I've had to do for this exact reason.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Fame Douglas posted:

From expensive to cheap:
Abby FineReader PDF
Foxit Phantom PDF
Master PDF Editor
PixelPlanet PdfEditor
PDF-XChange Editor

If you want something cheap, PDF-XChange is pretty good.

Honorable free mentions: NAPS2 (for reordering/adding pages) and LibreOffice Draw (for editing)
I'll toss in a recommendation for PDF Annotator, which I bought some years back and have upgraded a few times since; been pretty happy with it for my editing needs. But like someone else mentioned, depends on what you want to do.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

without messing up normal windows search

Wait, Windows search has another mode other than messed up?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Medullah posted:

You can by just pretending to not know your password or something like that. I did it once.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

You can by just pretending to not know your password or something like that. I did it once.

I tried for like 30 minutes to figure out a way around it and couldn't. Even tried to restore the machine back to factory even though it was only past a few prompts.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't connect to the internet, the option should appear during installation. Possibly only on Pro, though, not sure about that. It's certainly possible with fresh installs, maybe the "factory default" OOBE doesn't include the option, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

If you don't connect to the internet, the option should appear during installation. Possibly only on Pro, though, not sure about that. It's certainly possible with fresh installs, maybe the "factory default" OOBE doesn't include the option, though.

Yeah that's the problem - I connected to the internet while I was setting it up before it got to that step. No matter how many times I restarted, tried hitting airplane mode, etc. it still didn't give me the option to create a local. Heh I even turned off my wifi at the router level. I ended up just using my information and then restoring to factory settings after I tested everything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HalloKitty posted:

Wait, Windows search has another mode other than messed up?

yes, totally non-functional

Fame Douglas posted:

Pro or Home both work, but it's also a thing where the options aren't always universally consistent because they do A/B testing of this stuff. And the names keep changing -- it used to be that you got a small link that said local user, now it's a box that says "limited setup". They're fully embracing every dark pattern they can to acquire more MS accounts.

Medullah posted:

Yeah that's the problem - I connected to the internet while I was setting it up before it got to that step. No matter how many times I restarted, tried hitting airplane mode, etc. it still didn't give me the option to create a local. Heh I even turned off my wifi at the router level. I ended up just using my information and then restoring to factory settings after I tested everything.

lol I was gonna ask "why didn't you just turn off the router", but once you connect the option is removed forever? nice.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Is there a way to disable/remove RDP from Windows 10? I get that thing were it makes AltGr not working as usual.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

von Braun posted:

Is there a way to disable/remove RDP from Windows 10? I get that thing were it makes AltGr not working as usual.

Settings -> type "advanced system" in the search bar -> Remote tab -> uncheck allow remote assistance and set don't allow remote connections -> reboot

Thought googling that problem it sounds like it only mucks with altgr when they have an active RDP session, not just OOTB windows settings. And there are a number of other sources to troubleshoot.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Medullah posted:

This exact thing happened to me when I set up my wife's laptop last year.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

This exact thing happened to me when I set up my wife's laptop last year.

During OOB press Shift-F10 to open command prompt then run ncpa.cpl to disable network adapter and it will allow to create offline account.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ok that's going into my w10_annoyances folder as "tell OOBE to gently caress off with the MS account bullshit.txt"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Terrible link, but the effect is very pronounced in this video:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeFLowKR/

What software can I achieve a similar stabilization with? I have input video that isn't panning quite smooth enough but I can easily crop in and should be able to smooth it out that way, focusing on the subject.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Terrible link, but the effect is very pronounced in this video:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeFLowKR/

What software can I achieve a similar stabilization with? I have input video that isn't panning quite smooth enough but I can easily crop in and should be able to smooth it out that way, focusing on the subject.

Davinci resolve can do this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there any way to make Zoom not maximize to full screen the first time you hit "maximize", but instead maximize the window like most Windows apps do? I.e. I want to see the minimize, maximize, and close buttons when I hit "maximize" the first time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any way to make Zoom not maximize to full screen the first time you hit "maximize", but instead maximize the window like most Windows apps do? I.e. I want to see the minimize, maximize, and close buttons when I hit "maximize" the first time.
I have tons of Zoom meetings myself at the moment and I think this is something set by the hoster, because I only get that behaviour some of the time. If it does, try double-clicking on the window and it should switch to standard windows fullscreen. It's just two extra clicks.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just looking for free, simple screenshot software to capture screenshots of games that isn't:
  • Steam or GOG Galaxy, or any other thing that is a front end for other things
  • OBS (I know this works, I just want something simpler)
  • the XBOX game bar thing
  • Something else that mainly does other things and only takes screenshots as a side gig

I'm using an old :filez: copy of FRAPS at the moment, just wondering if something else exists.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Just looking for free, simple screenshot software to capture screenshots of games that isn't:
  • Something else that mainly does other things and only takes screenshots as a side gig

I'm using an old :filez: copy of FRAPS at the moment, just wondering if something else exists.

Print screen doesn’t work? Or the snipping tool?

I can’t remember the key command off hand but it’s 3 keys to do it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

There's Greenshot, but I don't really trust it.

But give it a shot, and make sure to do some testing to see whether you got your screenshots.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ufarn posted:

There's Greenshot, but I don't really trust it.

But give it a shot, and make sure to do some testing to see whether you got your screenshots.

Idk why you don’t trust Greenshot but I’ve been using it for years with no trouble at all.

Another option is nvidia’s overlay, that’s JUST recording/screenshots.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I think Windows Key + Print Screen will auto save screenshots

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Windows features several PrtScn variations:

Press PrtScn. This copies the entire screen to the clipboard. You can paste the screenshot into any program that displays images, like Paint or Microsoft Word.

Press Alt + PrtScn. This copies the active window to the clipboard, which you can paste into another program.

Press the Windows key + Shift + S. The screen will dim and the mouse pointer will change. You can drag to select a portion of the screen to capture. The screenshot will be copied to the clipboard, which you can paste into another program. (This shortcut only works if you have the latest version of Windows 10 installed, called the Windows 10 Creators Update.)

Press the Windows key + PrtScn. This saves the entire screen as an image file. You can find it in the "Pictures" folder, in a subfolder called "Screenshots."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ah, that WIN+PrtScn was new to me. I'll try that.