Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you made a figure and called it "Mickey Mouse", sure. If you made a Cartoon Mouse figure and gave him blue pants and oval shaped ears? Doubt it.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/17/18629686/fortnite-john-wick-the-reaper-rare-skins

Go to any convention like Designer Con and it'll be full of send ups, parodies, spiritual successors, inspired bys, and remixes, all for sale for profit. I guess you specifically mentioned the letter of the law, which even there I'd say it's debatable, but in practice it's been happening and continues to happen plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Trapick posted:

Watch https://youtu.be/xKBsTUjd910 - but basically that's almost certainly against the letter of copyright law. If you made a figureine of Mickey Mouse and sold it, Disney could sue you and win without problem.

Thanks for this. I’ll watch the whole thing later. I should have thought to trawl YouTube as well.

I don’t mean making a mini and calling it John Wick. I mean making a mini that captures the feel of Jon Wick without copying directly and calling it Ron Candle or something.

Maybe that’s a bit too generic, but a likeness is a likeness regardless if it’s an action movie guy or Mickey Mouse. So as another example, let’s say I make a mini with long hair, headband, tank top, holding a machine gun. I can call this one Don Rambunctious. Again, everyone will know what the reference is but I’m not actually trying to market it as fan art.

Thanks everyone else for weighing in too. If I do decide to do something along these lines you bet I’ll consult a real lawyer.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
tldr we can argue what fair use is all day but in the end fair use is a defense you have to make in court, so you have to consider how much you value being morally right compared to being sued

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Not to scare you off because the character of John Wick is so generic as to be laughable for a lawyer to try to claim that a figurine of a white guy with guns and a beard is a specific movie character but this is an article about the guy who got screwed on the cover art for a chiptune tribute to Miles Davis tried to claim fair use and that the original photo had been altered enough as to not infringe on copyright.

https://www.litigationandtrial.com/2011/06/articles/attorney/trademark-copyright-infringement/kind-of-bloop-an-statutory-damages/

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Does anyone else use Movie Magic Scheduler 6? I'm trying to increase the default font size, and I'm just stumped. Text is so cramped and small, it's ridiculous.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Frekkie Melody posted:

I saw this in the wild.

How do people even make stuff like that? Do they use massive stencils?

I know I’m super late to the party, but yes, the answer is probably massive stencils. There is an old hotel in Los Angeles that serves as a massive billboard. It’s repainted several times a year. They blow up the line image and print it on 10’x4’ pieces of paper. The lines are perforated. Hang the stencil on the building, rub charcoal on the stencil, create a giant line drawing to guide your painting. Here is an article on the process. I’ve watched them do it.

https://www.ocregister.com/2014/08/19/how-do-you-paint-an-ad-on-a-building-mural-artists-paint-the-town-big/

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask.

I want to expand some images which have the wrong aspect ratio, so some "reconstructing" is in order. To that I need to fill some areas, which is easy when there is just a flat colour. But when there is a gradient I have trouble. I can use the smudge tool, but it does not work as well as it should. Ideally I would like to clone a single line of pixels (the last one) to the rest of the image, which should look good enough. I don't know how to do this though, or if there is a way at all. I have Gimp. Is there possibly a trick or plug-in? Thank you very much!

edit: I selected the line of pixels I wanted to expand and used it as a brush, drawing it in the direction of the space I wanted to fill. Worked well enough. But I can't imagine there is no need for the function I asked about and there should be a plug-in.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 20, 2020

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask.

I want to expand some images which have the wrong aspect ratio, so some "reconstructing" is in order. To that I need to fill some areas, which is easy when there is just a flat colour. But when there is a gradient I have trouble. I can use the smudge tool, but it does not work as well as it should. Ideally I would like to clone a single line of pixels (the last one) to the rest of the image, which should look good enough. I don't know how to do this though, or if there is a way at all. I have Gimp. Is there possibly a trick or plug-in? Thank you very much!

edit: I selected the line of pixels I wanted to expand and used it as a brush, drawing it in the direction of the space I wanted to fill. Worked well enough. But I can't imagine there is no need for the function I asked about and there should be a plug-in.

Google says that gimp has content aware scaling. You might want to try that first before any more manual solutions.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

TheLastManStanding posted:

Google says that gimp has content aware scaling. You might want to try that first before any more manual solutions.

That would be the resynthesis plug-in. After fiddling around a little this works very well. Thanks for the excellent advice, TheLastManStanding! :-)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone have a good recommendation for a home printer? Ideally something that could handle heavier paper (80lb) and relatively nice prints. Not fine art quality, but nice enough to gift.

My previous one always printed w/ visible gap lines and was in general pretty crummy. Budget is 200-500ish.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 27, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a home printer? Ideally something that could handle heavier paper (80lb) and relatively nice prints. Not fine art quality, but nice enough to gift.

My previous one always printed w/ visible gap lines and was in general pretty crummy. Budget is 200-500ish.

Canon Pro-100. You can find them used quite a lot as they get packaged with some of the Canon camera bodies. I paid $300 CAD. Be aware that you stand on the precipice of having to learn about Printing which can be a lot (ICC profiles, test prints, etc).

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
No idea if there's a better thread for this somewhere in this forum or in the Dorkroom:

I'm wanting to make videos of my music playing (mainly guitar and some keyboard/piano). Looking to improve my lighting situation. I'm in a rather small/cramped room so I want to avoid getting something like a large soft light box. I definitely don't need perfect lighting or anything, just some sort of dedicated source that will help minimize grainy-ness. I'd like to keep it under $100 but I'm flexible on price. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

No idea if there's a better thread for this somewhere in this forum or in the Dorkroom:

I'm wanting to make videos of my music playing (mainly guitar and some keyboard/piano). Looking to improve my lighting situation. I'm in a rather small/cramped room so I want to avoid getting something like a large soft light box. I definitely don't need perfect lighting or anything, just some sort of dedicated source that will help minimize grainy-ness. I'd like to keep it under $100 but I'm flexible on price. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

I'd look for an adjustable (brightness and/or color temp) LED light panel.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Xposted from the kickstarter thread, sorry for double post:

My friend is building Audbile/Netflix for interactive theater. Like, each month you get a new play in the mail and the content is an audio recording and in a box there are letters in the styles of the characters, some are hand written school notes, some are aged typewriter style letters. Each are in an envelope and theres a commemorative pin or charm for each play. I bought one since she's my friend and the first play was really good.

Is this something other people do? Does this already exist?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Excuse me, is there a subforum or thread where it's appropriate to ask or request an avatar? I have an idea and an .mp4 of one I'd like to try and get a goon to ... idk, commission I guess? I could give someone a fiver for a job well done? I feel like a loving goof. Is this okay?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Firstborn posted:

Excuse me, is there a subforum or thread where it's appropriate to ask or request an avatar? I have an idea and an .mp4 of one I'd like to try and get a goon to ... idk, commission I guess? I could give someone a fiver for a job well done? I feel like a loving goof. Is this okay?

Back in the day I would go into GBS and offer plat to someone who would make me an avatar, but man that was ages ago so I don’t know if that’s frowned upon now. :corsair:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Firstborn posted:

SA Mart often has threads for this and you can always post a thread for that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Isn't this what the work-for-hire/freelance thread is for? Failing that, there's SA-Mart.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Long shot on on this but Post-Brexit is there any new additional steps which must be taken when commissioning an artist outside of the UK?

I have a friend whom seems convinced that the practice of paying an artist for their services via Paypal Invoice would now potentially fall afoul of the UKs rules on these sorts of things, but I haven't seen anything specific about it, nor have I heard any real discussion over it. I don't have the exact snippet on hand but something about the UK defines as goods and services?

Apologies if this is the wrong threat. If there is a more suitable one, I'd be happy to ask there instead.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Worth it to get an ipad for ProCreate if you've only used iPads in work?

I'd primarily be using it for drawing and not much else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I work in IT but I never learned how to do anything visually, its sad and alarming really. I'm tasked with posting a news article on our website now and I'm trying to make a header image but its just a baffling ordeal and I know it shouldn't be. I'm basically trying to paste a logo over a background image, but of course I get the white borders of the pasted image and if I go transparent then the logo becomes all distorted and gross. I only have paint, I feel like something as simple as this oughta be possible without full blown photoshop. Any tips?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah there are plenty of online tools to do simple photo editing tasks in this day and age. There is no reason to use paint.

It's also like okay that you can't do this, it shouldn't be an assumed skill any adult has. The tools I've heard of but haven't used much are Canva and Adobe Spark. Both have templates and have easy to use interfaces to put images on top of one another or add text.

Gimp was always the classic "Free Photoshop" alternative but for some simple stuff you shouldn't need to actually download and install a program. Now these free-to-use programs usually have some handicapping when it comes to exporting if you aren't paying, so not sure if you'll run into any issues there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking for hi-rez scans of all the pages in Animalia.

It's for a personal project, not for retail. The author has limited prints available for $300 per page and there's no way I'm paying that.
I want to frame each of the sections and maybe give them to a school. To get all the needed pages I'd have to buy something like 15 copies of the book.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking for hi-rez scans of all the pages in Animalia.

It's for a personal project, not for retail. The author has limited prints available for $300 per page and there's no way I'm paying that.
I want to frame each of the sections and maybe give them to a school. To get all the needed pages I'd have to buy something like 15 copies of the book.

I'd actually reach out to the author first to see if he'd just provide the prints or for very cheap with the condition they end up in schools.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is a poseable artist mannequin that people would recommend? I bought one from China and it was so bad I ended up binning it (And finding great satisfaction in the process)

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
TLDR: What should I learn if I want to quickly stitch together images and videos (from existing material) and add all sorts of crazy glitchy and shaky effects to them? Premiere? After Effects?

My use case: I compose music (cinematic, games, edm etc) and to showcase it on various social media it helps to have a great video to go with it, so that people aren't just staring at a boring still image for a few minutes, that's not how IG works. Now, I don't have months to make each video, and sometimes I'm putting out a track a day, so I need to figure out a way to get something out quick there *fast* and still make it look somewhat alive, and have it pair well with the aesthetic of the track.

I've seen people do all sorts of work in iMovie + lots of glitch-inducing apps on iOS, but it'd be nice to be able to do it all on my Mac so that I have more control over the editing (easier to chop up things on a computer than on a phone) and I don't have to constantly pass files around over AirDrop. I'd rather do all I need in one place and call it a day.

Also, where do people get video material for "sampling"? I've been using Upsplash for my images, which is OK, the selection is not incredible, but what about stock video, especially the more creative kind? I guess I can get away with stills if I apply enough moving effects and filters to them.

Thanks in advance, gang!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can get an Envato Elements plan that’s like $33 a month and will get you video templates and stock photos/videos.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've used Davinci Resolve for my video editing needs (pretty much just making trailers for my game). It's free, which is the big appeal for me, since my main use case is concatenating shots together with basic crossfades, text overlays, etc. I haven't explored its effects generation capabilities much, but there sure are a bunch of them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

bessantj posted:

What is a poseable artist mannequin that people would recommend? I bought one from China and it was so bad I ended up binning it (And finding great satisfaction in the process)

I would like to know this as well. I realized I really need one the other day. Trying to imagine myself from the 3rd person as i pose and then trying to remember it is only semi-useful.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Figma "Archetype" figures are pretty useful in that regard, if you can find them for sane prices. Looks like there's a line called "Body Kun" as well that is very similar.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

mutata posted:

The Figma "Archetype" figures are pretty useful in that regard, if you can find them for sane prices. Looks like there's a line called "Body Kun" as well that is very similar.

I think they were the ones I had. They only cost £7 each, which is really reasonable but they broke so easily, the legs and arms would pop off if you tried to move them even a little and on the female model the body popped in half. I wonder if I bought a cheap Chinese knock off (Though I think the brand is Chinese).

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Does anyone have a link or resource that describes how to draw perspective diminution at arbitrary distances? Like, for example, if I wanted to draw windows along a wall in perspective and make sure they're the same size, I know how to do that with the halfway-point line, drawing the diagonals through it to get window-sized intervals along the perspective line. But what if the windows are just an arbitrary distance apart along the wall, not a multiple of window-lengths?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

bessantj posted:

I think they were the ones I had. They only cost £7 each, which is really reasonable but they broke so easily, the legs and arms would pop off if you tried to move them even a little and on the female model the body popped in half. I wonder if I bought a cheap Chinese knock off (Though I think the brand is Chinese).

Yeah, beware of fakes. Take note that sites like "bodykun.com" and even "shfiguarts.com" sell fakes. You'll want to look up which websites sell real ones; I think amiami is one. There are a number of tells but I think the most obvious one is that the stand on the real ones is clear, the fake ones are a hazier matte, like frosted glass. I also like Stickybones although I think they take forever to fulfill an order (but that's probably because I funded the original campaign; never tried buying direct).

Also, beware when drawing: the figures are useful for referencing the perspective and foreshortening, but without a reference pic of a real person, you're likely missing out on some pretty drastic muscle/fat deformation that the models aren't capable of reflecting.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Posted this elsewhere but was advised I might get better answers here:

My sister is a stick and poke tattoo artist and during the lockdown she wants to try something new and do ASMR recordings of her sessions (right now just people in her bubble) - from my understanding what she's going to be recording (needle going into skin, hand manipulating needle) isn't going to be optimal for recording.

We discussed the importance of ASMR content being stereo, detailed, and "close", and I don't know what microphone setup to recommend.

I was thinking the 3DIO ear mics that people use, but that's impractical and too expensive.

I have a blue yeti so we could test with that but something tells me we'd want a directional mic pointed at the part of the body where she will be working.

Anyone here have an suggestions or can point me in a direction to find out a solution?

Warlocktopus
Aug 19, 2006
Post Post-Modern Man
Looking for a bit of advice about storyboard software. I cannot draw worth a drat. When I try to do stick figure storyboards, I feel like they don't really communicate what I want very well.

So far I've been trying out a free trial of FrameForge, but the tutorial keeps bugging on me which doesn't encourage me, and there's this thing called StoryBoard Quick that looks interesting but I can't seem to find if it's got a trial or not.

If the software route doesn't work out, I'm considering playing around with miniatures as a way of getting some of my composition ideas across, or just photographing some mock sets I can use for later reference when talking with my DP, but I'd love it if I had something on my desktop that I could just easily play around with ideas for. Should I give FrameForge more of a chance, is Storyboard Quick any good, or are there better alternatives out there?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Argue posted:

Yeah, beware of fakes. Take note that sites like "bodykun.com" and even "shfiguarts.com" sell fakes. You'll want to look up which websites sell real ones; I think amiami is one. There are a number of tells but I think the most obvious one is that the stand on the real ones is clear, the fake ones are a hazier matte, like frosted glass. I also like Stickybones although I think they take forever to fulfill an order (but that's probably because I funded the original campaign; never tried buying direct).

Also, beware when drawing: the figures are useful for referencing the perspective and foreshortening, but without a reference pic of a real person, you're likely missing out on some pretty drastic muscle/fat deformation that the models aren't capable of reflecting.

Thank you for the advice :)

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just updated Photoshop CC to 22.3.0 (Mac OS) and there's suddenly "momentum" when I pinch-to-zoom using the trackpad on my MBP. It keeps zooming in or out after I stop pinching, even if I take my fingers off the trackpad. Sometimes it gradually slows down, sometimes it keeps zooming way, way too much...like all the way down to 1% or something. This is indescribably annoying. Is there some sort of Preferences setting to stop this? I've looked and I can't find it. Google has failed me.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The act of typing out this question made me realize that I actually knew the answer. Sorry
(I gave myself artist block by buying too many different new supplies at once)

Spinz fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 16, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The index finger on my drawing hand is sort of hosed. I hurt it moving while carrying heavy stuff and then drawing and tattooing puts so much strain on the ligaments that something is seriously wrong. Obviously I need to get a professional medical person to look at it, but I also need to keep drawing.
Does anyone know if some sort of finger brace exists, like a knee brace you can get in a drug store but not one that is massive and bulky? There are gloves that can be worn to stop your hand smearing stuff or for tablet use, but they connect to the last two digits. I've taken to wrapping it up with self-adhesive bandages in the meantime.

Also, I went looking for a gadgets thread of its own (is there one?), felt slightly inspired to create one, and then remembered that I'm too lazy, but here is another question:

Are there drawing accessories that any of you use that you find invaluable?
For example, I have my apple pencil shoved into a massive disposable tattoo grip so the thing I'm holding is more than an inch wide, and I hear very good things about those screen covers that provide a bit of drag resistance. And off the top of my head, a simple 6H for starting a sketch with since I have a habit of pushing down too hard.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a drawing collab program like Drawpile but not a buggy piece of poo poo?