Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

That's neat. I know FireFox's syncing service is available to more browsers and wish there were more webkit-based browsers with it than just GNOME Web. I would probably switch to Vivaldi if they adopted it instead of just leaving iOS users in the cold completely. (I know Vivaldi isn't open but Brave is run by a chud and that's even worse.)

Aren't all browsers on iOS basically just skins on top of Safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Aren't all browsers on iOS basically just skins on top of Safari?

No, but they tend to be slower because they don't have access to Apple's optimized JavaScript engine. Plus they don't integrate well because you can't change the default browser.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

xzzy posted:

No, but they tend to be slower because they don't have access to Apple's optimized JavaScript engine. Plus they don't integrate well because you can't change the default browser.

The second part of this post is not true anymore, and I believe the first part hasn’t been the case for a while as well.

Edit: Third party browsers were caught up to Safari in 2016, and defaults were added in the last year or two.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 19, 2021

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Toalpaz posted:

I basically stopped reading/posting in this thread after swapping to ubuntu over a year ago because it just works. Until an update a few months ago, where the bios seems to have trouble finding the grub to boot/dm-crypt whatever to decrypt my computer.

updates don't seem to be fixing it so I'm thinking of making my life hell again and installing arch. I do eventually get ubuntu to boot, but it happens through restarting my computer 4-7 times in a row until I get the password field, which is time consuming.

You should look at your storage, had a ubuntu 20.04 server mysteriously fail to boot 75% of the time, mysterious because when it booted normally just no indication of any problem, it had an ssd and a lovely refurbished HDD which mounted as /media/backup, the later one apparently just hosed up the boot process by itself, could get into bios but the moment grub tried to load it froze on the mobo splash screen.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

bagual posted:

You should look at your storage, had a ubuntu 20.04 server mysteriously fail to boot 75% of the time, mysterious because when it booted normally just no indication of any problem, it had an ssd and a lovely refurbished HDD which mounted as /media/backup, the later one apparently just hosed up the boot process by itself, could get into bios but the moment grub tried to load it froze on the mobo splash screen.

Oooh I don't want it to be this because it's like a single ssd drive on a laptop I think, but it sounds like this.

Cause the battery is failing, the screen has a giant crack in it, the charger fails every 6 months or so. But laptop is expensive to replace. :\

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 19, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Toalpaz posted:

Oooh I don't want it to be this because it's like a single ssd drive on a laptop I think, but it sounds like this.

Cause the battery is failing, the screen has a giant crack in it, the charger fails every 6 months or so. But laptop is expensive to replace. :\

Laptop hard drives are cheaper than a whole laptop tho, and not that hard to swap

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Toalpaz posted:

I mean i never found out why it hosed grub up, could be worn/badly connected power or sata cables or actual mechanical failure which i kind of doubt because it still spun up fine at times, i just pulled it out and shelved for later (probably never lol).

Sounds like your laptop is pretty beaten up, I'd try unplugging/plugging cables before worrying too much.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Laptop hard drives are cheaper than a whole laptop tho, and not that hard to swap
Newer laptops can be a loving pain in the rear end to disassemble, even for the harddrive. Heck, I've seen non-Apple laptops with soldered mSATA disks.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Dunno, might be battery expansion doing the dislodging work too on the cables. I'll reinstall an Unix and see if it's resolved, then pop it open. I backed up everything last night.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Newer laptops can be a loving pain in the rear end to disassemble, even for the harddrive. Heck, I've seen non-Apple laptops with soldered mSATA disks.

Newer ones, yeah, but did you read the description of what we are dealing with here?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

It's a Razer Blade stealth 2016~ or refurb 2015. The charging cable has always been prone to shorting itself or something and requiring replacements. The hinges seized up like two years back and I picked it up, putting too much pressure on the screen with now broken hinges and it cracked. A third of the screws have fallen out of the aluminum frame... It certainly is a machine....

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sounds like its already halfway to a hard drive replacement

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Newer ones, yeah, but did you read the description of what we are dealing with here?
The one in question was a 2014-2015 laptop, and Razer is popular for being one of the brands where thickness, or the lack of it, is a selling point for at least part of their product range.
It wasn't as large of a leap as you're suggesting.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The one in question was a 2014-2015 laptop, and Razer is popular for being one of the brands where thickness, or the lack of it, is a selling point for at least part of their product range.
It wasn't as large of a leap as you're suggesting.

Yeah, when they said it was Razor I was bummed about my argument holding up, but I still had to make the joke about it disassembling itself

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Craptacular! posted:

The second part of this post is not true anymore, and I believe the first part hasn’t been the case for a while as well.

Edit: Third party browsers were caught up to Safari in 2016, and defaults were added in the last year or two.

Doesn't sound like it? See https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#software-requirements .

App store review guidelines posted:

2.5.6 Apps that browse the web must use the appropriate WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript.

Which is why both Firefox and Chrome on iOS uses WebKit and WebKit Javascript instead of their usual engines.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hmmmmm... This is problematic...

Copy and pasting between windows stops working in Fedora 33 after a while of uptime. It will, in fact, straight up crash a terminal if attempted, and other windows just don't accept the paste.

I can paste within the same window, but attempting to do this outside of it fails? Is this some weirdness with flatpak or something siloing poo poo? Because it's, uh, not great.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At a guess, that's a Wayland bug - it does copy/paste differently from X, and I've heard about problems with it before. No suggestions, sorry - but at least it's a keyword you may want to try adding to your research.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Hi everyone!

I use ubuntu as my OS for doing all my web/software development. I have no idea how to do anything in ubuntu besides programming related stuff. I have been having an issue since day 1 that's been driving me up the wall.

Basically, the ubuntu computer just hates using triple monitors. For reference, ubuntu 20.04.2 is installed on it's completely own computer with no dual boot or anything. The video card is a RTX 2070 Super, CPU is the Ryzen 7 3700X, and it's triple 4k monitors(2 HDMI connections, one of those uses a usb c adapter to plug into the GPU, and a displayport cable) in case you all need that. The monitors also have a windows PC hooked up to it, so when I want to use the windows computer I just switch the inputs on the monitors and move the keyboard and mouse over to the windows PC. I leave the linux computer on so that way I leave all my developer crap open so I don't have to reopen everything when I go back to working on stuff.

One problem that happened a lot before (when I was doing 4k monitors) is that the left and right monitor would become copies of each other when the computer went to sleep. The settings would show three monitors I believe, but for whatever reason I couldnt get them to stop copying each other. I always had to restart the computer to get it back working right. I think I eventually found someway to get around it without restarting it. I had to go in the settings, turn a monitor off in the settings, then turn it back on and it would work but I don't remember exactly. A couple weeks back I got so frustrated with this, I just switched all the resolutions to 2k.

Switching the resolutions on the monitors to 2k made things a lot better. The above doesn't happen as much, but now the center monitor just flat out doesn't turn back on after sleeping. Once again I have to restart the computer to get it to work.

Speaking of restarts, I also have an annoying problem with that. When I restart, for whatever reason it will show the purple screen on the left and center monitor, but the right monitor will just not work. Whenb the purple screens show up on the left and center monitors (the ubuntu login), I have to press the enter key, enter in my password, and then the monitor turns on like normal and all three work. I have made the center monitor my primary monitor in the settings and that doesn't fix this. This has happened everytime since I have built this computer. I do not get why.

The monitors have no issues anywhere close to this on the windows computer so I was hoping someone here would know what's going on because i'm pretty confident it's an ubuntu issue. The windows computer has the same exact version of the GPU I have on the ubuntu computer so I don't think it's the GPU. I've tried googling and I can't find anyone with any similar situations. Anyone got any ideas?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Computer viking posted:

Doesn't sound like it? See https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#software-requirements .

Which is why both Firefox and Chrome on iOS uses WebKit and WebKit Javascript instead of their usual engines.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/new-chrome-for-ios-is-finally-as-fast-and-stable-as-safari/

Apple still requires browsers to be WebKit skins that run the same API as Safari, so Mozilla is never going to be able to ship a Geko-powered Firefox. But they no longer force third party browsers into an older slower API that doesn’t include accelerated JavaScript.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 19, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Might be a strange driver thing, where one of the ports on your card doesn't work until compositing gets activated by logging in or something.
You probably can switch working monitors by switching the ports they are plugged into.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Might be a strange driver thing, where one of the ports on your card doesn't work until compositing gets activated by logging in or something.
You probably can switch working monitors by switching the ports they are plugged into.

Do you mean moving the cables to different ports on the bac of the monitors? The desk is pushed up against the wall so that would be a hassle. The other thing is that the center monitor is a 4k 144hz monitor. The display port on the back is plugged into the windows computer and it has to stay in that one. That monitor has 2 HDMI and 1 Displayport, and I typically use the other HDMI port for the a console or something. The other monitors I dont care what goes in what ports, but it would be a huge pain to replug in the cables everytime :(

The graphics card seems to work fine otherwise. If there are no driver updates, I'm hesitant to just replace it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

UtahIsNotAState posted:

The graphics card seems to work fine otherwise. If there are no driver updates, I'm hesitant to just replace it.

Does this issue sound relevant? It was filed against KDE but keep reading and it's not just for that.

Regardless, it sounds like a software problem. I would change software (whether that's going from Wayland back to X, changing DE, or trying to sleep on another distro on some free disk space you have around) to see if there's anything that will get rid of your problem.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 19, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Do you mean moving the cables to different ports on the bac of the monitors? The desk is pushed up against the wall so that would be a hassle. The other thing is that the center monitor is a 4k 144hz monitor. The display port on the back is plugged into the windows computer and it has to stay in that one. That monitor has 2 HDMI and 1 Displayport, and I typically use the other HDMI port for the a console or something. The other monitors I dont care what goes in what ports, but it would be a huge pain to replug in the cables everytime :(

No, I mean the ports in the graphics card. It sounds like only the hdmi ports are working at startup and the displayport only turns on when drivers are reloaded at login.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hmmmmm... This is problematic...

Copy and pasting between windows stops working in Fedora 33 after a while of uptime. It will, in fact, straight up crash a terminal if attempted, and other windows just don't accept the paste.

I can paste within the same window, but attempting to do this outside of it fails? Is this some weirdness with flatpak or something siloing poo poo? Because it's, uh, not great.

Doesn't happen here. Fedora 33, KDE, X.org. There are plenty of bugs in Fedora and KDE but this one I haven't encountered.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

No, I mean the ports in the graphics card. It sounds like only the hdmi ports are working at startup and the displayport only turns on when drivers are reloaded at login.

OK so I forgot to mention. When the computer turns on after restart, the right monitor works when the bios screen thing shows up (it just shows the TUF gaming logo(mobo maker)). It's when ubuntu starts loading/purple screens show up that the right monitor immediately turns off. Then, the left and center monitors dont like to be on when that bios screen is on. It's very loving weird.

Also, one time I tried switching the HDMI ports and that didn't do anything. The same monitors got messed up.

Craptacular! posted:

Does this issue sound relevant? It was filed against KDE but keep reading and it's not just for that.

Regardless, it sounds like a software problem. I would change software (whether that's going from Wayland back to X, changing DE, or trying to sleep on another distro on some free disk space you have around) to see if there's anything that will get rid of your problem.

So I found that thread a while back, but it's a pretty old fix. My major issue with doing that is i'm very new to linux, and this computer is very critical to be working at all times. With the monitors acting all wonky, I'm a bit nervous of adding a command line script like that in case there are any issues with it or cause an unintended issues that i'll have no idea how to work with. I'm basically a grandma with linux.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Volguus posted:

Doesn't happen here. Fedora 33, KDE, X.org. There are plenty of bugs in Fedora and KDE but this one I haven't encountered.

Not seeing that either on Fedora 33 with Gnome and X.org.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, when they said it was Razor I was bummed about my argument holding up, but I still had to make the joke about it disassembling itself
Anything in the +2012 range is likely to be "thin because Apple did it first" without the vendors realizing what Apple were trying, and subsequently managed to gently caress up.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

UtahIsNotAState posted:

OK so I forgot to mention. When the computer turns on after restart, the right monitor works when the bios screen thing shows up (it just shows the TUF gaming logo(mobo maker)). It's when ubuntu starts loading/purple screens show up that the right monitor immediately turns off. Then, the left and center monitors dont like to be on when that bios screen is on. It's very loving weird.

Also, one time I tried switching the HDMI ports and that didn't do anything. The same monitors got messed up.

That sounds a dm issue. You could try switching DMs or fiddling with the dm settings, but I don't know how to do that on ubuntu specifically.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
To me it just reads like the kind of Nvidia issue we've seen across our fleet. Nvidia requires a lot of janitoring compared to Intel and AMD. We have some workstations that require static X configs like it's the turn of the millennium again because the display config gets screwy without.

If at all possible we mandate Intel or AMD now, and only if you absolutely need CUDA do you get Nvidia, and it's always a pain in the latter case.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
God this takes me back, i'm on a full AMD pc now and never even had to think about video fuckiness since

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Rule of thumb, anything before boot isn't related to the OS, that's your motherboard deciding to splash in a particular monitor.

Linux defaults to the lowest resolution available during boot then adjusts everything when X is invoked, sounds like your 2 monitors support a resolution that the third one doesn't and vice versa, it'll default to the lowest then adjust to the highest available, and monitors will handle what they can, if they can't they'll lose signal. Do you have nvidia-settings / nvidia X config panel installed? There's some additional control to be had there, not during boot mind you but you can lock down a profile.

quote:

So I found that thread a while back, but it's a pretty old fix. My major issue with doing that is i'm very new to linux, and this computer is very critical to be working at all times. With the monitors acting all wonky, I'm a bit nervous of adding a command line script like that in case there are any issues with it or cause an unintended issues that i'll have no idea how to work with. I'm basically a grandma with linux.

most things video are basically tacked on to linux, i wouldn't take multiple monitor weirdness as a sign of any actual system instability to be honest.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Perhaps if you tried invoking P that would work.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
before booting linux put on your robe and wizard hat, light some candles and chant so everything is properly invoked thrashing and screaming straight from hell

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bagual posted:

before booting linux put on your robe and wizard hat, light some candles and chant so everything is properly invoked thrashing and screaming straight from hell

Please don't leak the secrets of the inner circle of the sysadmin.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Weird how the incantation for booting Linux is the same as sex over IRC

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its not that it actually works for sex, its just the mosy powerful invocation linux nerds know

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

bagual posted:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You forgot the two others:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Please don't leak screen shots of my onlyfans

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

I am going to get a reprint of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mmm, oregano.

There's still a poster of that hanging around in someone's office at work, which are apparently rare as gently caress. Apparently the original art was lost so there's no way to make reproductions anymore (short of scanning an existing piece).