Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kano and Scorpion are good guys now? I havent followed MK lore since MK2 please advise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also The Joker

Movie dlc is real

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

Kano and Scorpion are good guys now? I havent followed MK lore since MK2 please advise

Kano, no.

Scorpion has been an anti-hero since at least 9, and there's a newer Sub-Zero that's a good guy too.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

He’s basically a good guy in 10/11 until, well, play the game I guess it rules

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Scorpion, I mean

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"So Cole, what are you gonna do now that you have won the Mortal Kombat and saved earthrealm?"
"I thought maybe I go back to acting using my real name: Johnny Cage."
*punches interviewer in the nuts*
Cue themesong, roll credits
Tightened up your script for you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

omg chael crash posted:

He’s basically a good guy in 10/11 until, well, play the game I guess it rules

It's probably better that the movie(s?) don't follow the games too closely past about MK4-5 or so. For the last few games, they've leaned into how convoluted their lore has become by rebooting the timeline every time there's a new installment, and now it's at the point where they've started lampshading that by adding a god character whose defining characteristic is literally "reboots timelines".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I guess Kano's going to do an incredibly telegraphed heel turn.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Kano’s not a good guy, they don’t really hint at him being a bad guy in the trailer but the dialogue when Sonya mentions him in the trailer is cut up and definitely not from the scene they’re showing, he’s probably gonna have roughly the same backstory as he always does (black dragon, got lots of Sonya’s special ops buddies killed, is a bastard)

Like I don’t know how they could hide Kano not being a good guy, his primary role in every MK game and movie basically ever is “don’t trust this fucker” and his design matches that pretty well. There are very few Earthrealmers who have at no point ever been good, it’s pretty much just Kano and Sektor.

Oh man I hope the next movie has the robots I know they were just made because they needed something else to copy/paste once they had enough ninjas but the whole Lin Kuei/cybernetization stuff is cool, and Sektor and Cyrax are both key parts of the MK legacy. I’m sure that any sequel will probably focus on bringing Kitana, Johnny and Shao Kahn into the picture but dammit I want robots

Edit: I just read a plot synopsis of the animated movie and man that movie gives Sub-Zero the short end of the stick (which makes sense given it’s got Scorpion in the title and Cage is voiced by someone way more famous than the rest of the cast). I’m glad that the writer of this movie realizes that Sub-Zero is dope and should be a primary antagonist rather than a guy who gets impersonated by a sorcerer and framed, and then proceeds to bite it before ever winning an actual fight, which sucks and is dumb. Must have been written by the same person who had Batman bone Batgirl in that Killing Joke movie.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 19, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spraypainted BMX armor robots or bust

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DC Murderverse posted:

Like I don’t know how they could hide Kano not being a good guy, his primary role in every MK game and movie basically ever is “don’t trust this fucker” and his design matches that pretty well. There are very few Earthrealmers who have at no point ever been good, it’s pretty much just Kano and Sektor.

In his first appearance Kano was a mole inside the Special Forces who was secretly working for the bad guys.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baraka better be in this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

In his first appearance Kano was a mole inside the Special Forces who was secretly working for the bad guys.

This seems a likely throwback. Hell, even makes sense given him and Jax are both cyborgs.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh man I hope the next movie has the robots I know they were just made because they needed something else to copy/paste once they had enough ninjas but the whole Lin Kuei/cybernetization stuff is cool, and Sektor and Cyrax are both key parts of the MK legacy. I’m sure that any sequel will probably focus on bringing Kitana, Johnny and Shao Kahn into the picture but dammit I want robots

I think the second movie (if this does well) could make the robots a great starting or focal point and go full-on body horror with it if they continue with the R-rating, which they should. I bet James Wan is itching to shoot those scenes, or at least have someone shoot them on his behalf.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That trailer looked fun and maybe kinda good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Scorpion's a good guy, or at least non-villain, in most games. He's out for revenge on someone (he believes) horrendously murdered his family in 1, and in 2 when he finds out the new Sub Zero isn't the guy who wrecked his family, he spares him. He has basically the same arc in 4, where Quan Chi tricks him into thinking Sub Zero 2 has done him dirty after all, but then he finds out Quan Chi was the guy who really killed his family and spends a couple games after that trying to take revenge on Quan Chi. In 9 there's time travel that sends everything back to the first tournament, where he throws away a chance at bringing his family back to get revenge and out of guilt becomes Quan Chi's willing slave, but he breaks out of that in 10.

The guy's complicated basically. I understand why they boiled him down to a villain in the original film, because the fire breathing skull ghost being on his own side is a bit much to manage in a 90 minute film with too many characters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The guy's complicated basically. I understand why they boiled him down to a villain in the original film, because the fire breathing skull ghost being on his own side is a bit much to manage in a 90 minute film with too many characters.

"Scorpion and Sub-Zero... deadliest of enemies, but slaves under my power."

God, Mortal Kombat 1995 rules.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The trailer also features what sure looks like the Lin Kuei's massacre of Scorpion's family.

Subby's a good call for focal villain of an MK1-ish movie, imo. He's iconic, is an integral part of another iconic character's story, and sets up Kuai Liang and Noob Saibot for a sequel.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Cythereal posted:

True but that game is butt and I can’t be expected to remember what happened in it

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Scorpion and Sub-Zero... deadliest of enemies, but slaves under my power."

God, Mortal Kombat 1995 rules.

I always wished the ninjas got more time in that movie but I understand why they didn’t. Can you believe that Scorpion is literally not in MK: Annihilation? How do you gently caress up that bad?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I always wished the ninjas got more time in that movie but I understand why they didn’t. Can you believe that Scorpion is literally not in MK: Annihilation? How do you gently caress up that bad?

he is, he fights Yung Sub Zero and yells "SUCKERRRRS!"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8YtTz9xWu4&t=149s

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
One of movie history's greatest moments

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I had forgotten how much this movie looks like a sci-fi channel original

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Robin Shou deserved so much better than that bad bad movie

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the movie character with the dragon tatoo is totally unnecesary, you have liu kang, human scorpion, etc.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Mr. Neutron posted:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is one of the worst movies ever made.

I honestly enjoy Annihilation a lot more than the first movie. Don't get me wrong it's worse by a mile, but to me it's bad in ways that are more entertaining than the first plain but good movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

David D. Davidson posted:

I honestly enjoy Annihilation a lot more than the first movie. Don't get me wrong it's worse by a mile, but to me it's bad in ways that are more entertaining than the first plain but good movie.

James Remar as Raiden is a sight to behold. He looks and sounds like he's been doing quaaludes before every single take.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Timby posted:

James Remar as Raiden is a sight to behold. He looks and sounds like he's been doing quaaludes before every single take.
Whereas Chris Lambert just had a very reasonable few hits of a joint and maybe a beer before each one.

EDIT: Whoa I'm having a serious Mandela Effect here, I remembered that Jonny Cage got rekt right at the beginning of MK: Annihilation, but I swear I remember him getting turned into a statue or something the moment he tries to kick Shao Kahn. I'm watching the opening and he just gets his neck broken! Is there some similar movie scene, or part of that movie, that I'm thinking of? Or maybe my child mind just went into minor denial.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 20, 2021

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

His body gets raised up on a statue or something I think?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

True but that game is butt and I can’t be expected to remember what happened in it

I don't blame you for not remembering him being there, it's fuckin' nuts how many characters have only a few seconds' screentime. Smoke, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Rain, Baraka...

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
I've seen people online complain about the lack of Techno Syndrome, but I swear the trailer music hits those beats? Not a musician, but I thought I heard elements of Techno Syndrome's theme in there.

Actually pretty stoked to see this. It's guaranteed to be silly - it's a video game movie. The casting is very good, the crew making the film seem to be big fans of the games' story and characters. The theory about Cole Young being Johnny Cage seems plausible, though the article someone posted oddly suggests Cole Young is his alias rather than "Johnny Cage". I prefer the theory that he's Kuai Liang. If I remember, the two Sub-Zeroes' mother is supposed to be American, but their father was an operative for the Lin Kuei from China who took them with him at a young age. It's possible that Kuai Liang remained with his mother in the U.S. in the movie's backstory and went by Cole Young as an English name.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I wonder what they're going to do with Mileena. I can totally see why they went with the scarred face rather than the teeth because doing the teeth all the time would be a big old pain in the rear end. But I do still hope there'll be at least one scene where they go full teethy body horror with her.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
She could open her mouth Ishii the killer style

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oddly enough would make sense for her since she's basically a magitech genetically engineered hybrid abomination. (and touchy about it)

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i dont know if the trailer was badly edited but kano is a good guy now? the hell?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zeta Acosta posted:

i dont know if the trailer was badly edited but kano is a good guy now? the hell?

As mentioned above or elsewhere, they're probably going with the tidbit that Kano was originally a mole in the Special Forces. Might actually explain his laser eye for once, if he got it from the same place Jax got his arms.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
This reminds me of the Tekken movie, which IIRC, sucked because they forgot to make it any fun. MK's lore is inherently more goofy and fun than Tekken's, so that'll be harder to do with this one.

Stahlgeist posted:

I've seen people online complain about the lack of Techno Syndrome, but I swear the trailer music hits those beats? Not a musician, but I thought I heard elements of Techno Syndrome's theme in there.

They tease it a little in the red band trailer when Sub-Zero is making his ice sword, at around 1:50.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

the movie character with the dragon tatoo is totally unnecesary, you have liu kang, human scorpion, etc.

I have to wonder about a guy who has a dragon birthmark and doesn't seem to think it's weird.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

This reminds me of the Tekken movie, which IIRC, sucked because they forgot to make it any fun. MK's lore is inherently more goofy and fun than Tekken's, so that'll be harder to do with this one.

I have faith considering they show Sub-Zero making a sword out of frozen blood.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The Tekken movie cost 50 million dollars to make. This one looks like it has a substantial budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hollismason posted:

The Tekken movie cost 50 million dollars to make. This one looks like it has a substantial budget.

Honestly I think $50 million was around the budget they were shooting for with this movie too. That said, effects money probably goes farther in 2020 than 2009 and WB is a much better producer than the people behind Baby Geniuses and Ghost Rider. Add in a cast and writer/director that clearly have fondness for the property and you’ll probably get a much better movie with the same price tag.