Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carpator Diei posted:

Is Talos a god in the same sense in which Luxembourg is a country?

Talos is a Greater Deity, one of the most powerful gods in the Realms. He's the god of everything awful about nature, basically: storms, earthquakes, disease, etc., and also the patron of rebellion and chaos in general. He's the head of the Deities of Fury, a collection of evil nature-gods that includes Umberlee (goddess of the sea), Auril (goddess of winter), and Malar (god of predators and evil beasts). In fluff, even just about every good-aligned character will pay Talos his due respect in an attempt to placate him as part of the pantheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Talos is a Greater Deity, one of the most powerful gods in the Realms. He's the god of everything awful about nature, basically: storms, earthquakes, disease, etc., and also the patron of rebellion and chaos in general. He's the head of the Deities of Fury, a collection of evil nature-gods that includes Umberlee (goddess of the sea), Auril (goddess of winter), and Malar (god of predators and evil beasts). In fluff, even just about every good-aligned character will pay Talos his due respect in an attempt to placate him as part of the pantheon.
...I'm somehow very much not surprised by this. Well sure, the great Sandrah, praised be Her name, just casually chumped one of the most powerful and important beings in existence, no big deal, guess we should be glad she didn't bang him.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Now now, the game isn't over yet.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter LXII - Make yourself comfortable over here, you deserve some special care from me today.

Our next destination is the Northern Citadel, Eltan told us to investigate some disappearances here. There's a hut to the left of the citadel and a mausoleum in the upper right, keep those in mind.

It's mostly peaceful but a mummy is hanging out here for some reason.

Hey, it's the child-killing paladin!

Looks like he's close to slaying the demon that caused his fall from grace. I'm sure he could use a hand.

The demon isn't hard to take down, neither are the ghast and ghoul that he summoned. The Greater Mummy was an absolute bitch with tons of HP.

Tempus is impressed.

Dauron takes his leave of us shortly afterwards.

The headstones have messages, this one is my favourite.

Let's check out the house next.

:gonk:

...I don't know what else I was expecting to be honest.

Luckily Dynaheir manages to cheer me up. I'm pretty sure this is her last romance talk that's not gated behind a story event. It was good while it lasted. :3:

In front of the Citadel a monk is holding his own against a sizable amount of kobolds. Once we arrive they're dead within seconds.

Not so much as a thank you, prick.

Eldod shares a voice set with Eldoth, I mistrust him already.

Once inside we're greeted by Satos, he fills us in about what's going on and introduces us to...

...Quite the colorful cast of characters, that gnome seems familiar somehow. :thunk: They run off after the conversation.

Lots of rooms in the citadel and I'm not going to bother screenshotting them all, know that we're handling the rooms in a clockwise order starting with the left one and ending with the right one.

A lot of people giving us the cold shoulder, sheesh...

The maid practically acts like an inn. Sweet.

She gives us a scroll of restoration that I can use 'when the time is right', being an idiot I did not use it at all. :doh:

You might have noticed Pique quoting Imoen at the end there. Pique was actually Imoen's original name in early versions of Baldur's Gate where she was just a guard at Candlekeep.

Anyway, he points the finger at Eldod and runs off. That means we're done with the left-wing. Now to the 'upper' wing.

This guy shares a voiceset with Ajantis. I hate him already.

Hasten is sorta helpful, Utor seems a bit touched in the head. Bless his soul.

Taking the stairs down from the previous area we run into Shelton who ALSO points the finger at Eldod. You'd think this'd be the 'right time' for me to use the scroll of restoration but since I'm an idiot the possibility went right above my head.

Time to head back upstairs.

Sheesh, that's just evil... Time for some revenge! :black101:

What a shame.

Anyway, only the right wing is left.

And that concludes Dauron's quest. Let's hope the poor soul manages to find his peace.

Interesting, we'll come back to this once we've finished investigating.

Instead of using the scroll we talk to the guy, he runs off to his room afterwards...

Where I ALSO talk to him instead of using the scroll, he runs away again instead of attacking. I am very smart. :downs:

Oh now, Satos dies a completely unavoidable death! :saddowns:

We'd best head to the mausoleum.

We meet the mastermind behind the kidnappings, and it seems like Eldod, Mardoroan and Kamira were in on it as well!

Also this fellow called Hobgod. We take care of them without too much trouble.

A bittersweet ending.

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe:

This is the sequence of events if I'd used the scroll of restoration on Eldod, if I did it early enough Utor, Satos and Eldod would still be alive. We have to live with our mistakes though....

Back at the Citadel Lenore is devastated.

The key to the altar is on an island somewhere, I think I know just the person who can take me there.

Nadalin can take us to Salamander Island.

Once we arrive we encounter some friendly Ice Salamanders. (No point in posting a map, this is 75% of the whole area)

Well, that was anti-climactic...

There's a bit more Northern Tales of the Sword Coast content but we can't access it just yet, I think it's best if we do something else for the time being. All in all I really enjoyed my time at the Northern Citadel, the area looked neat and having a quest with multiple endings is always nice! :)

Next ti-

You again!? :argh:

Vennagrat teleports away before combat begins. Talos is all alone which makes him an enormous pushover.

An avatar of Talos appears once the man himself bows out, or maybe he was always there and didn't bother to join in until now? I have no idea. :shrug:

Nothing left to do but head back.

Next time we'll exchange Minsc and Jaheira for some fresh, bearded faces as we plan to delve the depths of Durlag's Tower! :black101:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 7, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carpator Diei posted:

...I'm somehow very much not surprised by this. Well sure, the great Sandrah, praised be Her name, just casually chumped one of the most powerful and important beings in existence, no big deal, guess we should be glad she didn't bang him.

At least in the Saerileth mod, when Cyric pops up and Saerileth tries to save you he just laughs at her and teleports her into another dimension.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Granted I've generally been skipping the content of these updates and only bothering to read something if Vichan reacts strongly enough in his commentary...but I tried reading the dialogue of this encounter, and it's like my brain won't let me extract any information from it. Like I'm having a stroke. It almost reads like a sketch comedy bit poking fun at fantasy-speak, in which it becomes more and more obvious that nobody is saying much of anything.

Ok, I tried again and it's like Talos is...evil and destructive, and the main character wants Vichan to...not be evil and destructive. Ok, ok. It's good we have a strong main character like this to ensure we don't stray from our moral path.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LargeHadron posted:

Granted I've generally been skipping the content of these updates and only bothering to read something if Vichan reacts strongly enough in his commentary...but I tried reading the dialogue of this encounter, and it's like my brain won't let me extract any information from it. Like I'm having a stroke. It almost reads like a sketch comedy bit poking fun at fantasy-speak, in which it becomes more and more obvious that nobody is saying much of anything.

Ok, I tried again and it's like Talos is...evil and destructive, and the main character wants Vichan to...not be evil and destructive. Ok, ok. It's good we have a strong main character like this to ensure we don't stray from our moral path.

But the modder says she can work in an evil party, I don't get it. Why not just say she doesn't work in an evil party?

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
From what I've gleaned from Beamdog (or a glance at the Sandrah forums which is a real trip), Roxanne and her league of sockpuppets do this bizarre thing where they lie to people criticising the mod.

She's nowhere near as defensive as I'd have expected but the response to any criticism like she's a huge Mary-Sue or I have to romance Sandrah to see any content is always met with Roxanne saying either a) you've misunderstood and totally could have shut her down or b) don't worry if you keep playing you'll see it's all a set up to reveal she has deep flaws/the romance is intentionally bad etc

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Do we know what happens if you actually try to abandon Sandrah to the Talos people? Does she get filled with righteous fury and kill you all? Or did Roxanne actually make a sequence where Sandrah can die and be silent?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

LJN92 posted:

Do we know what happens if you actually try to abandon Sandrah to the Talos people? Does she get filled with righteous fury and kill you all? Or did Roxanne actually make a sequence where Sandrah can die and be silent?

From the guide:

quote:

When you leave Archandra/Krestin again, old friends await you, the Talos priests. This time they demand that you hand Sandrah over to them while the rest of the party is free to go if they pay 20000GP to the Stormlord’s coffers. You decide

a.Pay the money and deliver Sandrah to them. There will still be left some of them to occupy your party with a battle while the rest take Sandrah away. She will be able to free herself with Mystra’s help and await you in Ulgoth’s Beard when you finally arrive there. You will have lost 20000GP, someXPs from the full battle and some of Sandrah’s sympathy (i.e. sanpoints).

b.Stand to your companion, battle all the Talos followers and win Sandrah’s sympathy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My hatred for this mod can't be put into words.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Lysan Lurraxol posted:

From what I've gleaned from Beamdog (or a glance at the Sandrah forums which is a real trip), Roxanne and her league of sockpuppets do this bizarre thing where they lie to people criticising the mod.

She's nowhere near as defensive as I'd have expected but the response to any criticism like she's a huge Mary-Sue or I have to romance Sandrah to see any content is always met with Roxanne saying either a) you've misunderstood and totally could have shut her down or b) don't worry if you keep playing you'll see it's all a set up to reveal she has deep flaws/the romance is intentionally bad etc

Her flaws are going to be that scene from The Office where Michael is interviewing with David Wallace

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lysan Lurraxol posted:

"She's just too perfect and too knowledgeable and wise and beautiful! There's no greater curse imaginable for anyone to bear!"

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Why am I reading this?

Like, I'm asking myself this because I keep doing it, but why am I reading this?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You feel the need to cleanse your soul with self torment, not as unusual an act as it may seem.

I don't know WHAT brought this about in you but I intend to find out.:stalker:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

:gonk:

...I don't know what else I was expecting to be honest.

I realise nobody is actually reading these, but you really should. Sandrah's tits can dance. There truly is no end to her talents.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Vichan posted:

From the guide:

That's not what sympathy means, Roxanne!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keldulas posted:

Why am I reading this?

Like, I'm asking myself this because I keep doing it, but why am I reading this?

Because no matter your personal failings and lack of skill at writing, you will never unleash anything this bad upon the world and that makes you feel better about yourself by comparison.

That's what I get out of this, at any rate. :v:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Because no matter your personal failings and lack of skill at writing, you will never unleash anything this bad upon the world and that makes you feel better about yourself by comparison.

That's what I get out of this, at any rate. :v:

That's a good analysis, but at the same time (I'm a writer ~too~) and for awhile I legit felt like reading the content was having a negative impact on either my self-confidence or general ability to write. I worry that bad art is contagious, to some degree.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That portrait really doesn't scream "ethereally beautiful woman with magical dancing tits" to me but what do I know?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
NGL, all I ever imagine for dancing tits is that one Whose Line Green Screen where the thing on the green screen was an old timey sexy show of a woman with tit tassels swinging them in opposite directions

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Midnight Voyager posted:

NGL, all I ever imagine for dancing tits is that one Whose Line Green Screen where the thing on the green screen was an old timey sexy show of a woman with tit tassels swinging them in opposite directions

For reference.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That portrait really doesn't scream "ethereally beautiful woman with magical dancing tits" to me but what do I know?

Isn't the default portrait even more generic too?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramc posted:

Isn't the default portrait even more generic too?

Literally a portrait taken from the player character pool in NWN, yes.

Also the quality on this copy of that Whose Line video is just a touch better.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I find this LP pretty funny overall. Plus, it's nice to see some other mods too.

Thunderclan
Dec 24, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

That's a good analysis, but at the same time (I'm a writer ~too~) and for awhile I legit felt like reading the content was having a negative impact on either my self-confidence or general ability to write. I worry that bad art is contagious, to some degree.

For me, it has conjured up an alternate scene in my head where Sandrah shows up when the PC and Gorion get attacked, fights alongside Gorion...and gets murdered alongside him. And then when the PC and Imoen find the bodies in the morning Imoen takes all that fancy, ridiculous gear and sells it off for traveling funds.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

This next chapter might be a short one, struggling with panic attacks today but managed to get through Durlag's Tower, the amount of new content was pretty low.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Warning: this mod is not an effective cure for panic attacks and may in fact exacerbate them into homicidal ideation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carpator Diei posted:

Missed this, but yeah. In the setting lore, Talos is the kind of god who responds to one person slighting him by sending a hurricane or earthquake to devastate the city that person is from. There's a reason why no one in Athkatla raises a fuss about a big temple to Talos being in the temple district next to temples of Lathander and Helm.

For comparison, Bhaal before the Time of Troubles was just a minor deity. He was a servant of Bane, god of tyranny, and patron of professional assassins and other people who kill for a living. Bad news to be sure, but one of the less powerful and important gods of the Realms and rarely worshiped directly outside his specific niche and people offering him praise as one of Bane's servants.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well in Throne of Bhaal Cyric shows up to harangue you when you're on the cusp of divinity, and you're only Sandrah's sidekick. The plot can't be allowed to let the player infer that she's somehow not as important as you, so she gotta have a god ineffectually dogging her throughout the story.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Vichan posted:

This next chapter might be a short one, struggling with panic attacks today but managed to get through Durlag's Tower, the amount of new content was pretty low.

Please take care of yourself first :ohdear:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter LXIII - Dwarfling only half size of manling but stink like mountain of manure used to cultivate our hydroponic gardens in the depths of a city's mass.

We got this cursed sword from captain Brage.

Thalantyr can remove its curse, he can enhance many items this way. I don't know if I've ever shown it off but here it is nonetheless. It'll make a nice parting gift for Minsc.

Minsc and Dynaheir bow out in favour of Yeslick and Kagain, I was originally going to pick Thorin in place of the latter but he probably doesn't have that many banters anyway.

And yes, we also get yet another ability for Sandrah's repertoire!

We finally arrive at Durlag's Tower! :black101:

Lots of vanilla content here that I'm not going to cover, those looking for a walkthrough of the area will be sorely disappointed.

Kagain actually has banters with Sandrah? They're 100% what we were expecting? I am SHOCKED!

I love Kagain, I think BG1NPC did a great job with him. :allears:

On the roof of the old tower we find an old shield in the hands of an ogre shaman, this prompts a conversation with Sandrah.

Once in Durlag's Tower proper Kagain and Yeslick start to butt heads.

I won't cover all the tasks that we need to do here.

We did get a Jen'lig banter out of this one at least. :swoon:

They *really* don't like each other, this is going to come to blows, isn't it? :ohdear:

After a battle on the second floor Sandrah's confidence wavers, a rare moment of weakness that we solve with the power of love.

Maybe it was a mistake bringing Yeslick here... :(

Normally once you enter the compass room you have to answer riddles, luckily we have Sandrah.

Easy peasy.

The ghost of Durlag shows us to...

The Demon Knight! Normally a pretty hard fight but our overleveled party manages to carry the day.

Keep this in mind, it'll be VERY important throughout the LP.

Oh, quit blubbering and just get out of our sight.

We run into these goons on the way out, no challenge.

Yeslick and Kagain have finally had enough of each other, luckily by giving them both different orders we prevented the fight. All is well. :)

We teleport out of Durlag's Tower, is she asking us to remember an occasion that just took place?

Kagain seems a bit confused again.

Ah, the inevitable Jen'lig banter, I was worried we weren't going to get one.

She puts him in his place with project force for good measure. I love Jen'lig... :allears:

Drizzt is here? And he wants us to go to the Dales? Better meet him at Ulgoth's Beard at our earliest convenience.

(Also ugh, must every conversation stroke Sandrah's ego...?)

Did Drizzt even teach anyone in Forgotten Realms lore?

As soon as we arrive in Ulgoth's Beard we are accosted by cult enforcers who take our dagger... :negative:

Hurgan's right, let's teach them a lesson! :black101:

None of them are any match for our fury!

Even this fight which is supposed to be extremely tough only took one reload, Pelligram and Haiass are amazing.

And that takes care of Tales of the Sword Coast! Aside from the odd sidequest here and there we have only main quest content left as far as vanilla BG1 is concerned!

We deliver the last quests...

And pick up a new one while we're at it.

We're treated to one more Kagain banter, I...actually don't mind this one?

Wait, what's Elminster doing here?

I guess our adventures with Drizzt will have to wait 'til next time!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 7, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Leraika posted:

Please take care of yourself first :ohdear:

Thank you for your concern. :)

Hard as it is to believe my anxiety is not Sandrah related, I have anxiety medication I can take to counter the panic attacks so there's nothing to worry about. They do make me woozy so if I've made a lot of mistakes this update I'll use that as my excuse. :colbert:

Next update we'll see if we can't tackle two submods while we're at it. Let's hope they're not too long.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

Kagain actually has banters with Sandrah? They're 100% what we were expecting? I am SHOCKED!

quote:

(Kagain musters Sandrah from head to toe after the battle has seized.)

:psyduck: What the everloving pineapple scented gently caress does this mean.

Presumably 'seized' is meant to be 'ceased' but I really can't figure out what 'muster' is meant to be.

And don't think I didn't notice that lazy ableist use of 'schizoid' later in the update, Roxanne.

As for Drizzt, I actually almost like that Sandrah was his best student, as he is one of the OG Mary Sues and clearly taught her all he knows. In the hands of a better writer it could have been a nice little touch of self-awareness.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vichan posted:

Wait, what's Elminster doing here?

I guess our adventures with Drizzt will have to wait 'til next time!

I initially thought he was jammed inside a wall here. It took several tries to see correctly that he's behind one.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Black Robe posted:

:psyduck: What the everloving pineapple scented gently caress does this mean.

Presumably 'seized' is meant to be 'ceased' but I really can't figure out what 'muster' is meant to be.
Well, in German, "mustern" can mean "to examine" (though it can also mean "to muster", depending on the context). According to a dictionary, the Dutch equivalent is "monsteren", so maybe Roxanne is German rather than Dutch; the languages are very similar.

No comment on the Drizzt stuff, it speaks for itself.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
drat, that second Kagain banter wasn't even horny at all. One could almost imagine a more nuanced character in Sandrah based off that one alone. Almost.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Drizz't taught Cattie Brie to swordfight, I think, to answer your question.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ramc posted:

Drizz't taught Cattie Brie to swordfight, I think, to answer your question.

Does Drizzt bone a lot of people? If so I hope The Beast feeds on him so the network visualization will be out of control.

quote:

1. Bardolan's Briefing, by berelinde (mature content / teen version)
2. Scar's Spare Time, by jastey (mature content / teen version)
3. Kim's Preoccupation, by jastey (mature content / teen version - WARNING, ref. below)
4. Extension of Bjornin Encounter (Personal Wound Treatment), by jastey
5. No Starch in the Maypole, by jastey
6. Duke Eltan's Spare Minute, by jastey
7. Husam's Personal Preparation, by jastey (mature content / teen version)
8. Laurel's Post-Hunting, by jastey
9. Bartus' Seduction, by jastey
10. Lina's Massage, by jastey (mature content / teen version)
11. First Night with Quentin, by Kulyok (mature content / teen version)
12. Chatting Niklos Up, by Kulyok (mature content)
13. Slythe and Krystin, by Kulyok (mature content)
14. No Regrets, by Anonyme
15. Purchased Love, by Thimblerig
16. Hull: Heavy Duty, by Lava Del'Vortel
17. Late Night with Jaheira, by Kulyok
18. Sil's Blessing, by Lava Del'Vortel
19. Melicamp: The Poultry Boy, by Lava Del'Vortel
20. Reading with Rinnie, by Western Paladin
21. Molly the Husband-Grabber, by Kulyok
22. The Mourning of Centeol, the Spider Lady, by Lava Del'Vortel
23. The Essential End, by Lava Del'Vortel
24. The Harvestman's Lair, by Lava Del'Vortel
25. The Great Zudini, by Kulyok
26. The Messenger, by Thimblerig
27. Ender Sai: The Hero's Reward, by Thimblerig
28. The Novelists, by Thimblerig
29. The Honest Lies of Two Riversides, by Lava Del'Vortel
30. Necromancer's Trouble, by jastey
31. Dinner with Thalantyr, by jastey
32. Girdle of Gender Reactions, by Thimblerig, Kulyok, Domi, Lava, Lastknightleft,
Twani, Jastey, and Daisy Ninja Girl
33. The Surgeon's Dream, by Kulyok
34. All That Left Was, by Lava Del'Vortel and Thimblerig
35. A Childhood Friend, by Kulyok
36. Arlene the Working Girl, by Kulyok
37. Della May from Thay, by Kulyok
38. A Dirty Guard in Candlekeep, by Kulyok (mature content - WARNING, ref. below)
39. Phoenix Flame, by Kulyok (mature content)
40. Mikala the Monk, by Twani
41. The Messenger 2: Rain or Snow or Gloom of Night, by Thimblerig and tibicina
42. Camryn and Tamah, by tibicina
43. Minor Disclosures, by jastey
44. Cloakwood Lovers, by tibicina

I sincerely regret not installing BG1 romantic encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

Does Drizzt bone a lot of people? If so I hope The Beast feeds on him so the network visualization will be out of control.

I sincerely regret not installing BG1 romantic encounters.

From what I remember Drizzt is generally too busy being emo and angsty to bone anyone, though I didn't really pay much attention. Not that it matters, since his character and actions will be whatever Roxanne wants them to be anyway.

also holy poo poo that list