Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nuzlocke question. What are the 'official' agreed upon rules for the Wild Zone?

I Nuzlocked Shield when it first launched and the way I played it was whenever I entered the wild zone naturally as part of the story I considered that a new 'route' - I think I got 4-5 pokemon this way from memory
A couple of websites are saying to treat each section as a new route... which would be like 17 sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qnqnx posted:

The solution is, and always has been, save editing.

Im sorry but these 1s and 0s have feelings and personalities so this is illegal

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Infinitum posted:

I Nuzlocked Shield when it first launched and the way I played it was whenever I entered the wild zone naturally as part of the story I considered that a new 'route' - I think I got 4-5 pokemon this way from memory
A couple of websites are saying to treat each section as a new route... which would be like 17 sections.

I always thought of it as 3 area. Everything South of Motostoke Riverbank, that middle area from Motostoke Riverbank to the Bridge then everything North of the bridge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nuzlocke in SwSh feels weird because you can directly control what Pokemon you run into first if you want a Roaming one.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

I always thought of it as 3 area. Everything South of Motostoke Riverbank, that middle area from Motostoke Riverbank to the Bridge then everything North of the bridge.

I would also separate out the water/islands, since you can't get to them until so much later.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hunter Noventa posted:

I would also separate out the water/islands, since you can't get to them until so much later.

Good point!

But I agree that Nuz for this gen might be a little bit different...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I feel like treating each area as a new route is best, both because they have different spawns and also because not doing that greatly reduces the number of chances you get to get replacement Pokemon, since there are otherwise so few routes in the game.

I guess it mostly depends on how hard you want to make the Nuzlocke for yourself.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I go by:

Each area is a new route
One random/grass encounter
One roaming/overworld encounter
One surfing encounter (random/overworld)
Only One Rule kicks in once you're able to catch them
(Optional) Can repeat after every new badge acquired

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hammerite posted:

There is a Mystery Gift event running at the moment. You can get a Flame Orb, a Toxic Orb, a Gold Bottle Cap and a few other items.

There is also a wild area event running over the weekend, lots of Milcery. 5-star ones have a 2% chance of being guaranteed shiny. They may drop any of the various kinds of sweets.

Thanks, and quoted for new page.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nuzlocke in SwSh feels weird because you can directly control what Pokemon you run into first if you want a Roaming one.

Not as weird as in Let's Go.

Anyway I would say that each area counts as its own route but if you want to save things for later so you can catch at that level, well, get good at avoiding things.

Feb 2, 2005

Infinitum posted:

The rule that I saw and liked was that you unlock a new Wild Area encounter with every badge.

You can either run around with your eyes closed or use an exclamation encounter.

Feb 2, 2005
This is a cross-post from the trading thread. Last post there was from July!

This is a long shot, but does anyone have a spare Zarude? Apparently they were given out with a newsletter code but I wasn't actively playing at the time. Now the caped monkey is all that stands between me and a complete living Dex. I have some spare mythicals like Hoopa and Celebi and or some shinies that I'd be willing to part with. Thanks!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Quote posted:

This is a cross-post from the trading thread. Last post there was from July!

This is a long shot, but does anyone have a spare Zarude? Apparently they were given out with a newsletter code but I wasn't actively playing at the time. Now the caped monkey is all that stands between me and a complete living Dex. I have some spare mythicals like Hoopa and Celebi and or some shinies that I'd be willing to part with. Thanks!

I just checked, and I have a spare code I can't use from the Zarude distribution. (I got 2 codes in the end, but you can only use one per save file) I can't PM it to you though, because you don't have PMs. I could probably send it to you via the Discord if you go on there.

Feb 2, 2005
Awesome! I just joined. I'm Acerock7 3293

If you message me I'll send you a screenshot of my shinies box and you can have your pick.

e: I posted a quick message in the trade channel

Quote fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 14, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Quote posted:

Awesome! I just joined. I'm Acerock7 3293

If you message me I'll send you a screenshot of my shinies box and you can have your pick.

e: I posted a quick message in the trade channel

I sent you a PM on Discord.

Feb 2, 2005
Hammerite sorted me out! Much obliged :)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So I've literally just finished doing everything in game I need to do save harvesting yellow apricorns for moon balls. Whilst sending my charmander breedjects out into the ether I've collected three shiny nicknameable eevees with perf IVs. Two males in friend balls one female in a love ball. I literally have every shiny eeveelution that I want so if anybody here would like a shiny eevee just shoot me a message.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
There's an in-store distribution in the US currently where you can get a shiny Toxtricity (Amped form). Someone on Twitter has dumped several hundred valid codes in a Pastebin. They say they'll post more in time. Obviously the more widely this is shared, the more codes will get taken. I'll paste the link in the Private Game Servers thread.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

This drought of news is killing me ;_;

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

This drought of news is killing me ;_;

The new game reveal will likely be Friday.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You will miss these days when next week comes and this thread starts complaining about the new games for eight months straight.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Theres no where to go but up as far as im concerned

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

There is always more and it is always worse

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mandatory lesbian posted:

You say that but given that they base the remakes on the originals with some extra stuff to reference the enhanced version, if we're getting Shinnoh remakes it's gonna be base Diamond again and good god I'd rather play SwSh. Especially with how loving faithful to the originals they try to be (See HGSS not fixing anything about GSC's hosed level curve)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You say that but given that they base the remakes on the originals with some extra stuff to reference the enhanced version, if we're getting Shinnoh remakes it's gonna be base Diamond again and good god I'd rather play SwSh. Especially with how loving faithful to the originals they try to be (See HGSS not fixing anything about GSC's hosed level curve)

They'd also have to go back to a grid system for world design if they wanted to be faithful to the original games. It would be seen as a huge downgrade to go from the wild area/Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra that had a free camera to areas with a fixed camera like most of the other routes in Sword and Shield or LGPE.

Honestly, with the amount of effort needed to make a DP remake I'd rather they use that effort to make something people would actually enjoy more. If I recall, ORAS only received a lukewarm reception so there isn't much incentive to make DP remakes aside from it being what fans are expecting.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zuzie posted:

They'd also have to go back to a grid system for world design if they wanted to be faithful to the original games. It would be seen as a huge downgrade to go from the wild area/Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra that had a free camera to areas with a fixed camera like most of the other routes in Sword and Shield or LGPE.

Honestly, with the amount of effort needed to make a DP remake I'd rather they use that effort to make something people would actually enjoy more. If I recall, ORAS only received a lukewarm reception so there isn't much incentive to make DP remakes aside from it being what fans are expecting.

ORAS was amazing what the hell are you talking about?

Real talk: I'm grimly accepting Crazy Diamond/Pearl Jam but I didn't really enjoy those games. I still haven't brought up my Platinum team into Bank/Home yet, even.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I just want more New Snap news tbh

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My issue with ORAS is that we lost the Battle Frontier. That was some good variety in challenges.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also I want a new gen and not another remake because we're still stuck in dynamax poo poo zone if it's not a new gen of mechanics which means Megas aren't back yet and also you're gonna get some truly loving garbage poo poo with G-Max Dialga/Palkia/Giratina like with Primal Groundon/Kyorgre.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also I want a new gen and not another remake because we're still stuck in dynamax poo poo zone if it's not a new gen of mechanics which means Megas aren't back yet and also you're gonna get some truly loving garbage poo poo with G-Max Dialga/Palkia/Giratina like with Primal Groundon/Kyorgre.

I'm willing to take the remakes so they can spend more time developing Gen 9. More time spent on a Gen is always a good thing and I'm ok with getting a remastered Gen 4 in the meantime.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

People wanting the remakes do not remember how godawful DP are. Platinum is excellent, but so was Emerald and that barely got included. As bad as third versions are because they have to fix all the lovely stuff they put in the originals, at least they fix the originals and make it the version you'd rather play!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

People wanting the remakes do not remember how godawful DP are. Platinum is excellent, but so was Emerald and that barely got included. As bad as third versions are because they have to fix all the lovely stuff they put in the originals, at least they fix the originals and make it the version you'd rather play!

ORAS did not accomplish this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gen 4 remake is inevitable, it's better they do it now when they're tied to an already bluhh system like dynamax, so when gen 9 creates a fun system we can get it for the much more exciting gen 5 remake

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
also if nothing else the inevitable insane bullshit can get gated to a 3 turn limit

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i don't want Diamond and Pearl remakes because them being old enough to be remade is a crushing reminder of the inexorable march of time

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i don't want Diamond and Pearl remakes because them being old enough to be remade is a crushing reminder of the inexorable march of time

Sister I've been playing this series for 24 years straight. Get in the senior van with me and I'll fire us up some margaritas and 90's dance music.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I still remember when I was in like 1st grade and a kid on the playground had a magazine with a Pokemon ad on the back of it. I was totally enamored, but wasn't able to play until I got my first gameboy and Yellow version some time later. Since then I've played every Pokemon mainline game multiple times, and most of the spinoffs, and even if some games are definitely better than others, I can safely say that I'm still having fun with them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

I still remember when I was in like 1st grade and a kid on the playground had a magazine with a Pokemon ad on the back of it. I was totally enamored, but wasn't able to play until I got my first gameboy and Yellow version some time later. Since then I've played every Pokemon mainline game multiple times, and most of the spinoffs, and even if some games are definitely better than others, I can safely say that I'm still having fun with them.

I refuse to give up on this series until I'm given that which I want most. Which is a side evolution for spritzee that's a straight up plague doctor and a dark/fairy harlequin pokemon. I will be here till the bitter end handing out shinies and making the worst puns you've ever loving heard.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I am also with you fellow olds on having been on this Pokémon train since practically birth. Every game has some good to it that makes it worth playing, even the newer ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
They probably should remake gen 4 because it is only upon remaking gen 4 that they will be prepared to remake gen 5, or as it is commonly known, "the greatest generation"