Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007

sporklift posted:

So this box of 45's was from my late father's things. I imagine it was a college girlfriend's or something. I had to toss about half the records because they were unplayable. The ones that were left over were made into a mix for my dad's birthday. Not my usual stuff but it was fun to put together.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/for-my-father/

Taking the time to put this together is really awesome and does a much better job of capturing the feel of the music than just slapping something together in spotify.

And your dad had great taste in music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

It came with a large-ish manual and had advertising in it, something you see in records like this now and then.

Screw advertising IN the record how about when advertising IS the record?

My mom got this when she bought one in 197X, and remembers the era of getting random freebie records like this with purchase of something.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have this record, which is an ad for wood paneling

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The records in this opera were all warped so I just kept the box and the sleeves, and then just filled it with flyers and pamphlets that came with various records.

Here's one of them, an instructional book for apparently faith-based dance exercise activities.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 19, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of Wendy either, but I love the cover art.

Booooooooo!

quote:

Suddenly I have a new love for Bea Arthur, she sang for Brecht and Weil. In addition to being in the Star Wars Christmas Special. That really covers a lot of my bucket list right there.

But have you seen her finest musical performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K6ETASu1E

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Someone tell me not to have bidders regret not going harder after a untested Technics SL-10 from the 80s from an online estates sale. I got cold feet after 120 bucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

incoherent posted:

Someone tell me not to have bidders regret not going harder after a untested Technics SL-10 from the 80s from an online estates sale. I got cold feet after 120 bucks.

A record store I went to a few years ago had one of these that you could use to demo records. The tracking thing is a pretty cool feature. I'd never seen that before. that said, all that fancy mechanical poo poo is just more stuff that can break and who the hell knows where you'd find replacement parts and who would fix that. I'm guessing that in either case it's not cheap. As a rule I never buy any kind of electronic or camera stuff or whatever that's untested unless it's really cheap. It's best not to think of what could have been. You might have even dodged a bullet.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Booooooooo!

I don't think I meant anything offensive, sorry. I listened to it on vinyl the first time in the mid 80s. Proto-Windham Hill, sorry.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Posted without comment:

Okay, I'll comment. I admit that I once had trousers like that.

Also he looks a little too much like Rick Moranis. I'll admit it, I bought this because at the time it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, I dunno.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 20, 2021

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

petit choux posted:

Posted without comment:

Okay, I'll comment. I admit that I once had trousers like that.

Also he looks a little too much like Rick Moranis. I'll admit it, I bought this because at the time it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, I dunno.

You can’t fool me, that’s a Martin Short character.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

In a more serious vein, and another old medium that records will outlive:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That's the real deal folks

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

harlot church new metal band name i call dibs

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m probably not cool enough to post in this thread but my gf got me a modern, pretty basic record player for Christmas and I’ve had a good time just collecting my favorite albums and spending evenings listening to them. I also have a really fantastic local record store two blocks from my apartment and I don’t know I just wanted to shout out vinyl for bringing me some joy and pleasure in this really hard year! :waycool:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I’m probably not cool enough to post in this thread but my gf got me a modern, pretty basic record player for Christmas and I’ve had a good time just collecting my favorite albums and spending evenings listening to them. I also have a really fantastic local record store two blocks from my apartment and I don’t know I just wanted to shout out vinyl for bringing me some joy and pleasure in this really hard year! :waycool:

Yeah, clearly not cool enough, so you are going to have to keep trying till you get it right. :justpost:

ED: no way out but through!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nobody here is cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My mom says I’m cool

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Nobody here is cool.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BigFactory posted:

Your mom says I’m cool

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Well right now I’m just mainly filling out the discographies of artists I like (mainly done w/Springsteen, currently working on Prince), but also having fun discovering some new (to me) music and buying that up too. One of my favorite albums I own is a re-release of Judee Sill’s first album. She’s someone I hadn’t heard of two months ago and when I first heard her it spoke to me a bunch.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, Lady-O is such a great song, though I know it because of the Turtles - who loving rock.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Well right now I’m just mainly filling out the discographies of artists I like (mainly done w/Springsteen, currently working on Prince), but also having fun discovering some new (to me) music and buying that up too. One of my favorite albums I own is a re-release of Judee Sill’s first album. She’s someone I hadn’t heard of two months ago and when I first heard her it spoke to me a bunch.

Once you get a copy of Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream and Other Delights you can be done with the whole thing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

No collection is complete without at least 2 copies of Whipped Cream that you don’t remember how you ended up with

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
See so far I've dodged Whipped Cream but accidentally ended up with two copies of Barry Manilow Live instead.

Don't be like me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Setting up my office

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, Lady-O is such a great song, though I know it because of the Turtles - who loving rock.

Ooo I’ll have to listen to that version! I love the Turtles! Thanks for the tip

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

Setting up my office

Did you reinforce that at all? I’d be scared to have that much weight on ikea stuff but maybe I’m dumb.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

BigFactory posted:

Did you reinforce that at all? I’d be scared to have that much weight on ikea stuff but maybe I’m dumb.

Clearly this is fine:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Setting up my office

Hey. Hey, everybody.

Some of those are probably doubles.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I'm admittedly not an expert, but I think it was the case that the gigantic ikea shelf failures people posted in this thread were when people set theirs up rotated 90 degress, so none of the weight was going in the intended direction?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Even as a wax dummy, Pat Boone couldn't help but butcher songs by Black artists.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

I put Corner brackets in all the interior corners, in the next two weeks I will also be securing the back with a giant wooden board. Screw it all to the main body parts and liquid nail the interior shelves.

The long boards are also horizontal, which is the lynchpin to the whole thing. All those accidents are people putting the long boards vertically and leaving all the weight to be supported by pegs and small square boards.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

I put Corner brackets in all the interior corners, in the next two weeks I will also be securing the back with a giant wooden board. Screw it all to the main body parts and liquid nail the interior shelves.

The long boards are also horizontal, which is the lynchpin to the whole thing. All those accidents are people putting the long boards vertically and leaving all the weight to be supported by pegs and small square boards.

Those mods sound like a good idea still. I have some Ike’s bookshelves that are basically trash after a couple of assembly/re-assembly’s.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Ooo I’ll have to listen to that version! I love the Turtles! Thanks for the tip

Yeah, as far as I know, it's available as part of the All the Singles compilation, which is really fantastic. All the A-sides and B-sides in their original mixes.

I have a mono copy of the Happy Together album. Such a fantastic piece of work. They really had a lot of range.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At my library we're rebuilding the reception area, and I think everyone's currently kinda kicking themselves about not bringing up if we could take some of the old furniture home - there are especially some quite nice and heavy duty wooden shelves with two inch thick boards, made for holding heavy books, I'm sure they could have handled a ton of records (maybe literally).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just read that Prince Markie Dee passed away the other day, I'll be spinning this later and then maybe chase it with a viewing of Disorderlies

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maybe it's just that I'm on my phone, and that I may need glasses, but the guy on the left on that cover looks like how I thought the fat kid from Hook would look like if he was allowed to grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's Darren Robinson aka The Human Beatbox, dude was awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a65kmDFfl2g

Sadly he didn't even make it to 30