Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

Hey where you been we haven't seen you in the horror discord.

He only watches Son of the Mask now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/SilverAgeTV/status/1363228661181263872?s=20

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

:toot:

happy pre-columbo day everyone

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

I think this is technically social media, and so is discord.

The culture of the Something Awful forums is much more insular and certainly not part of the mainstream internet. Things like Twitter, Facebook, Tik Tok, and even reddit are much more broad and familiar to the average person. I'm not saying that we're a bunch of classy discerning people just that this is very much its own thing and is mostly insulated against the usual drama and bullshit you see everywhere else. I only ever use discord when people here are streaming a movie.

Skwirl posted:

I think the plethora of different television channels and other media outlets has meant there's a lot of content starring minorities that a lot of people just never hear about if they aren't looking for it. For example Ava DuVernay has a show with 4 or 5 seasons on Oprah's channel that I never hear anyone talk about and I only know exists because I follow her on twitter so she'll mention when a new season is starting.

This is true but in the 90s there were several shows about black families on the major networks. Or things like Martin, Living Single, and In Living Color. Currently the only major network sitcom about a black family that I'm aware of is Blackish. Although Superstore has a pretty intersectional cast which is something that's also rare. Most sitcoms are about upper middle class white people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

This is a good thing twitter has shown me today.

edit:

this too

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 21, 2021

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Lexi Alexander seems to have no joy left in life, so she is wouldn’t like those

She said that people making fun of her and Walter Chaw are worse than Weinstein, so she's absolutely lost the plot. Hope she just takes a break from Twitter and realigns herself.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TBH i think lexi alexander just likes to fight.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CPL593H posted:

This is true but in the 90s there were several shows about black families on the major networks. Or things like Martin, Living Single, and In Living Color. Currently the only major network sitcom about a black family that I'm aware of is Blackish. Although Superstore has a pretty intersectional cast which is something that's also rare. Most sitcoms are about upper middle class white people.

Hot take for the evening: superstore is just community with more consistent writing and darker jokes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

TBH i think lexi alexander just likes to fight.

She did get her start as a stunt double and I think has a couple martial arts championship belts.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Skwirl posted:

She did get her start as a stunt double and I think has a couple martial arts championship belts.

It would have been much cooler if she'd tried to Uwe Boll that kid rather than try and get him expelled from school

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It strikes me as the Helldump problem you often see online where when people make going after socially acceptable scapegoats a hobby, they pretty quickly run out of easy viable targets and low hanging fruit. But they don't want to stop, and going after people with actual power is hard and scary. So they start inventing reasons to go after easy targets, and eventually turn on each other, because there's no easier targets than your own allies.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Everything on the Internet is pointless and bad, except for this post.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
whats the beef between lexi alexander and walter chaw?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

Hot take for the evening: superstore is just community with more consistent writing and darker jokes

I never watched Community and became completely disinterested in ever doing so after Aziz Ansari was outed as a rapist. Superstore has a lot going for it though. A great ensemble cast, funny characters, it's well written, it lowkey throws a lot of left wing ideas out there, and it's just really funny. I don't think he gets the attention it deserves. It got cancelled which I think sucks but at the same time it's better that it's going out when it's still funny than going on way too long and gradually becoming shittier and shittier like many sitcoms do.

The Peccadillo posted:

It would have been much cooler if she'd tried to Uwe Boll that kid rather than try and get him expelled from school

Or instead of loving with some random kid she could beat the poo poo out of Lowtax.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re thinking of parks and rec. aziz isn’t on community

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CPL593H posted:

I never watched Community and became completely disinterested in ever doing so after Aziz Ansari was outed as a rapist.

That's Parks and Rec

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Oh yeah. Well anyway, now that I recall I saw a few episodes of Community. It was pretty funny but it also kind of seems like it was probably annoying a lot of the time.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CPL593H posted:

Oh yeah. Well anyway, now that I recall I saw a few episodes of Community. It was pretty funny but it also kind of seems like it was probably annoying a lot of the time.

It started out pretty great, but it's a Dan Harmon thing so it crawled up it's own rear end rather quickly.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Kim's Convenience exists if that counts.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I watched a Lupin III movie last night, and in the first act, they introduce this concept of an infamous American arms manufacturer who is dying of cancer, so he has his brain implanted into his young son so that he can keep living. It’s revealed that this young boy has the mind of a grown man, and then act one closes out with him being blown up by a missile.

None of this ever has any bearing on the plot ever again, except to the extent of, “Japan bought a nuclear weapon.”

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Also, at one point, they introduce the idea that Japan has begun contracting out their defense to private military contractors so that they can wage aggressive conflicts through a proxy. This was legalized by “a popular poll” that happened while the character who is learning of this was “away.”

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That all checks out. Please see the popular war documentary Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE for more.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MacheteZombie posted:

I recently deleted Twitter and I highly recommend it.

Same. I’m going back to tumblr.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I watched a Lupin III movie last night, and in the first act, they introduce this concept of an infamous American arms manufacturer who is dying of cancer, so he has his brain implanted into his young son so that he can keep living. It’s revealed that this young boy has the mind of a grown man, and then act one closes out with him being blown up by a missile.

None of this ever has any bearing on the plot ever again, except to the extent of, “Japan bought a nuclear weapon.”

Sounds like the old "I want to explode a kid in my story, how do I justify it" chestnut that most writers have to crack at some point in their career.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, the Lupin movies can get pretty awesome at times.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’ve seen enough of them to know the score, but this one was on another level. I have to wonder if maybe they animated some major scenes prior to writing the script, and were scrambling to make it come together.

The plot of the movie is also tied up about an hour in, with a half hour left to sort-of settle a hanging character relationship in a way that’s just bizarre.

The only thing to match this that I’ve seen on the head-scratching scale would be the two episodes of Part 4 that were originally pulled from airing on TV because they just didn’t make even the bare minimum of coherency.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

after Aziz Ansari was outed as a rapist.

Feel like maybe you didn’t look into that story very hard

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's only rape if it's from the southern region of Cosbylyvania otherwise it's just sparkling sexual assault.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 21, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just finished News Of The World. It’s decent enough but there was something off about its politics that I can’t quite put my finger on. For one thing, it seems oddly sympathetic to the South (it’s immediately post-war), while taking what felt to be a fairly neutral stance on US:Native American violence (“can’t all this killing stop?!” - well no, not while whites are violently colonising land). Anyone else seen it who can articulate any of this better than I can?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

I just finished News Of The World. It’s decent enough but there was something off about its politics that I can’t quite put my finger on. For one thing, it seems oddly sympathetic to the South (it’s immediately post-war), while taking what felt to be a fairly neutral stance on US:Native American violence (“can’t all this killing stop?!” - well no, not while whites are violently colonising land). Anyone else seen it who can articulate any of this better than I can?

You ever see Fort Apache?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

You ever see Fort Apache?

Nope. Should I?

Just read the synopsis. I think the answer is yes but I suspect I won’t get round to it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Nope. Should I?

Just read the synopsis. I think the answer is yes but I suspect I won’t get round to it.

It's basically the only movie with an adult Shirley Temple and it has John Wayne playing one his least racist characters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha, I was confused until I realized you were not talking about Fort Apache, The Bronx.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Haha, I was confused until I realized you were not talking about Fort Apache, The Bronx.

lol

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Uatu The Lurker posted:

whats the beef between lexi alexander and walter chaw?

No beef between them, but he came in defence of her take and it all spiraled from there. He's left Twitter now.

Lexi did my least favourite Twitter take, which is to say something you know is going to get traction and then focus only on the worst replies so you can act like *any* opposing voice is the same as the vilest responses. The way she's framed it as the power of 'film twitter' or Anti-Palestinian sentiment and not that she said an incredibly dumb thing is gross, and telling someone that they're just a tool of white supremecy because they don't agree that "all black and white movies are sexist and racist af" is even worse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh, I knew that name sounded familiar. he was at the Denver Alamo a lot. We ran into each other at different screenings.

He seemed alright.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think both she and Walter, iirc, were highlighting the worst replies and telling people that if you disagree with Lexi's old movies take this is who you're aligning yourselves with. Which is just slimy, bad faith politics for what should be an innocuous debate about art.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

DrVenkman posted:

No beef between them, but he came in defence of her take and it all spiraled from there. He's left Twitter now.

Lexi did my least favourite Twitter take, which is to say something you know is going to get traction and then focus only on the worst replies so you can act like *any* opposing voice is the same as the vilest responses. The way she's framed it as the power of 'film twitter' or Anti-Palestinian sentiment and not that she said an incredibly dumb thing is gross, and telling someone that they're just a tool of white supremecy because they don't agree that "all black and white movies are sexist and racist af" is even worse.

The ol' twitter surprise, right up there with playing victim and co-opting mental health terminology. Someone disagrees with you? Well that's gaslighting. Pick out someone being mean at you in the replies and now you can say you're being abused.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I never watched Community and became completely disinterested in ever doing so after Aziz Ansari was outed as a rapist.

As others have pointed out, that was P&R, but Dan Harmon did sexually harass one of Community's writers, so it's not unclean.

ChickenMedium posted:

It started out pretty great, but it's a Dan Harmon thing so it crawled up it's own rear end rather quickly.

I think the second (and third) paintball episode is where it lost me, because it was trying to be wacky and weird, while still doing retreading old ground. The only episode after that one I remember liking was the pizza episode (that spawned a really bad subplot for the Harmon-less season).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Seasons 1-3 are great. 4 ranges from okay to terrible. 5 is a bit of a return to form but it's clear some of the magic is gone. 6 meanders in quality but ends it really well, there's a lot less joy to it as a final season compared to earlier seasons, but purposefully so.